Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 14:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?

A mysterious Baleno test mule has been spotted in Gurgaon. The test car appears to be based on the pre-facelift version of the hatchback, but it is riding on updated alloy wheels.

Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-screenshot_20201006112605.jpg

All the badges on the car have been tapped off. So, it's difficult to guess what Maruti could be testing.

Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-screenshot_20201006112535.jpg

Could they be testing the BS6 1.5L Diesel?

Reports suggest that Maruti could re-introduce the 1.5-litre diesel engine in BS6 guise sometime in 2021. The same engine could also power some Toyota branded cars in the future.

Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-img20201006wa0004.jpg

Could they be testing a proper hybrid with tech sourced from Toyota?

A Baleno with a full-hybrid powertrain was spotted testing back in July 2019. Maruti is said to be developing the 48 Volt "strong hybrid" powertrain in collaboration with Bosch.

Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-img20201006wa0002.jpg

Could they be testing an electric powertrain?

In 2018, Bosch had showcased a Baleno-based EV (Bosch All-Electric Maruti Suzuki Baleno - NDTV Car & Bike Review). It came with an electric motor that had an output of 115 BHP and 200 Nm and was powered by a 10 kWh battery pack.

Thanks to BHPian BoneCollector for sharing these images with other enthusiasts.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th October 2020 at 14:36.
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 14:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?

Could just be a facelift which is long overdue IMO as the Glanza has fresh looks & the new i20 is around the corner.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 14:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't this the same Baleno that was spotted before the car was officially launched in India? Reason neither is the car available in black nor are those alloy wheels whereas only before launch was this exact spec spotted. Could be a possibility that since all the camouflage has been removed this was just being taken from one location to another.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...flaged-11.html (Team-BHP Scoop Pics! Maruti YRA / Fronx Hatchback, uncamouflaged!)

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 7th October 2020 at 14:56.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 15:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The test car appears to be based on the pre-facelift version of the hatchback, but it is riding on updated alloy wheels.
My wild guess is Baleno Tour , as the test mule is pre-facelift.
Is it a proper alloy or Wheel cap ?
Old 7th October 2020, 15:10   #5
BHPian

These Baleno prototypes were also spotted years back before the official launch of the Baleno RS back in 2016!

This one for example, is the exact same looking car spotted back in 2016
Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-balenorsspypic091468041981.jpg

Possibilities are that these cars might be testing the BS6 version of the 1.0L RS Motor or maybe they just took the old cars out for a spin?(Should not be the case as the number plates are in the new format!)

And speaking of new Baleno prototypes, Gaadiwaadi reported a mysterious being tested a few weeks ago! (Pic and Link attached below!)
Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-marutibalenostronghybrid151068x740.jpg

Link- https://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki...or-48v-hybrid/

My guess is that they are either testing the BS6 1.0L Boosterjet(I hope this is true) or probably a stronger hybrid version (remember the 32kmpl Swift from the Auto Expo '20??)

Someone above said that they could be testing the 1.5L diesel BS6. But that doesn't make sense as a few Ertiga prototypes with the same engine were spotted on test a few months back.
Also, testing the diesel on the Baleno instead of the Ciaz, Brezza or S-Cross doesn't make sense as the latter ones are the ones which require a diesel engine and not the Baleno!

Since the new i20 and Altroz turbo petrol are just around the corner, it could be that Maruti might be planning to re-introduce their old engine in the BS6 form? (I hope they are! )

Last edited by theAutomaniac : 7th October 2020 at 15:33.
theAutomaniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 18:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Could they be testing the BS6 1.5L Diesel?

Could they be testing a proper hybrid with tech sourced from Toyota?

Could they be testing an electric powertrain?

Thanks to BHPian BoneCollector for sharing these images with other enthusiasts.
All three pretty much valid reasons for any prospective customers for the bigger Marutis or rebadged Toyotas to wait till next year.

Yeah, pretty much a slippery slope reason to keep on postponing purchases, as newer models keep on coming and especially with the Maruti EV, 1.5 diesel and strong hybrids being tested by Maruti for eternity.

Still, believe there are a good number of die hard Maruti customers who are buying the bigger Marutis grumbling, ruing the fact they would have to live with less than stellar city fuel efficiency figures.

More than the EV or bs6 1.5 diesel, hope they bring a strong hybrid to the mass market.
Like who wouldn't say No to a 20km/l + city figure?
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 19:07   #7
BHPian

This cannot be a testing for BS6 Diesel, since Maruti has been shouting from the rooftop that BS6 Diesels does not make sense for their small cars and will not introduce it. They have been clear that BS6 Diesel will be introduced only in their larger cars like Ertiga and maybe even Brezza.

So, if at all this is a test mule, then it can be the Boosterjet or Hybrid powertrain.

I dont think they are testing the electric powertrain either. Too early in the lifecycle according to me based on Maruti's strategy.
Old 7th October 2020, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Could it be a successor to the K-series engines that is being tested?
Old 8th October 2020, 00:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Could be: Maruti Baleno otherwise is not in any news these days. So Maruti people want Forums like ours to discuss all these "Could be" and speculate. At the end it will be another sticker job for Diwali. Probably Baleno RS Sport - Sticker Edition
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 02:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Most probably the diesel. Maruti will use the 1.5 diesel in a lower state of tune in the Baleno & Dzire.

Altroz, i20, Amaze, and Figo Aspire are formidable competitors in the respective segments.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 07:40   #11
BHPian

The alloys on this Baleno aren't new or updated. I have seen these in the Ads when this car was first launched plus these alloys are available on boodmo for sale and it's a very good deal, ₹ 5190/- for a 16".
Boodmo listing: https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-4321...0zmq-31657942/
I am not related to Boodmo in any regard.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno with updated alloy wheels - What is Maruti testing?-images.jpeg  

Hemi6.2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post

Possibilities are that these cars might be testing the BS6 version of the 1.0L RS Motor or maybe they just took the old cars out for a spin?(Should not be the case as the number plates are in the new format!)
I would agree with this as small capacity turbo petrols are quite standard in the compact segment and not having an option will hurt Maruti. The current 1.2 K12 workhorse though still one of the best engines in the segment is just going to be outgunned by the crop of turbo petrols.

What has given Maruti some cushion so far is the fact that no manufacturer has offered the turbo petrol as their standard engine. All the other 1.2NA petrol just can't compete with the K12. Investing in a BS6 1.0L Boosterjet makes sense for Maruti at this point. I hope they also go a step further and convert the 1.4 Boosterjet too for use in higher variants.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 11th October 2020, 11:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The current 1.2 K12 workhorse though still one of the best engines in the segment is just going to be outgunned by the crop of turbo petrols.

What has given Maruti some cushion so far is the fact that no manufacturer has offered the turbo petrol as their standard engine. All the other 1.2NA petrol just can't compete with the K12..
There is a speculation on Suzuki working on the 1.2L turbo engine. Could this be on test in the spotted Baleno?
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Most probably the diesel. Maruti will use the 1.5 diesel in a lower state of tune in the Baleno & Dzire.
Hopefully this is true. A simple remap can turn it into a nice fast hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
There is a speculation on Suzuki working on the 1.2L turbo engine. Could this be on test in the spotted Baleno?
This will also be a welcome move.

My question is why are they using an old body shell that has already done lots of testing
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 17:24   #15
BHPian

I feel Maruti will stay away from plonking Turbo in their petrol cars. All their cars sell because of good fuel efficiency. Plonking a turbo will negate the USP that Maruti has.

If I take a wild guess, they most probably would be testing a 1.5 petrol with or without hybrid (both probably provided by Toyota). Toyota already has technology ready which can be easily paired with thier own engines.

Testing diesel on Baleno would make no sense as most hatchback buyers are now buying petrols.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks