Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th October 2020, 16:13   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My experience: Vehicle with the same registration number as mine confiscated by the Excise Dept

That's a great escape sir. But being the first and sole owner and public sector employee helped. Your what ifs are scary and with tendency of police to harass in search of bribes, one can get into trouble if caught in a nasty situation like these. These are mostly the reasons why transfer of RC has to be ensured before selling a vehicle.
Old 11th October 2020, 17:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My experience: Vehicle with the same registration number as mine confiscated by the Excise Dept

The manufacturers must come up with a electronic chip that will be written with the engine and chassis number from factory. This chip must be readable only by RTO authorities after proper paperwork. In case of engine replace , there must be a procedure to update this info in the chip and in the RC card. With this kind of mechanism in place, even if the chassis number/ engine number is damaged or mangled, it would be possible to extract this info from the chip.

Now, the challenge here is how and where to place this chip so that it cannot be tampered/removed from the vehicle. One possibility is to place it inside the hollow chassis tube at the time of welding the chassis and provide an interface to code/read the info when needed.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 18:50   #18
BHPian

I hope the officials consider it closed and you are not bothered further on the matter. For the general public it's difficult to comprehend how different agencies work. As you stated, they confiscated the bike in April and came looking for the owner in September.

I wonder what would have happened if your previous landlady didn't have your contact number. Of course there are other ways to trace but that depends on the severity of the case. I don't think the officials would have tried to trace the owner based on anything other than the address provided during vehicle registration. Would they have assumed things and charged the owner of the vehicle? In that case there would be an active case or a charge without the owner even being aware of it. In a city like Bangalore or Mumbai which has high floating population there would a very large number of such vehicles whose owners cannot be traced just with the address available with the RTOs.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:15   #19

Generally, Government investigation agencies have various tools to solve similar type of cases. If I am correct, then this case pertains to state excise department. I am wondering why they didn't summon you for recording your statement under relevant provisions of the state excise law. A notice is served when charges are framed.
Old 11th October 2020, 20:58   #20
BANNED

Oh man, this is honestly scary. Your what if's trigger goose bumps to say the least.

Any specific reason why they chose your activa number plate? Do u park outside on the street?
Is your neighborhood famous for petty thieves or a unfriendly neighborhood? Does your security guard/ office boy/neighbour / colleague share your two wheeler?

Because these criminals would not just lift off some random number plate, there would be some logic or planning.
Old 11th October 2020, 23:43   #21
BHPian

Unfortunately duplicate number plate is not a new problem in Bengaluru. I remember reading some news earlier. Bangalore Mirror news on Apr 2, 2019: Is duplication of number plates the new hot crime?

Quote:
It seems clone registration numbers are popping up everywhere. Just weeks after the owner of a Mercedes Benz GLA 200 spotted a similar car bearing the same number plate as his car’s on Hesaraghatta Main Road, a 43-year-old engineer working in IBM was shocked after he received a call from the KR Puram traffic police enquiring about his scooter.

The techie found out that the traffic police had recovered a bike that had the same registration number as his scooter and were tracking the real owner of the vehicle. Unfortunately for the techie, many traffic violation cases had been registered in his name because of the biker.
Old 12th October 2020, 01:43   #22
BHPian

What kind of land are we living in where we are praising the cops for only making him waste 2 days and travel all the way there for no fault of his own. Imagine if you had an urgent meeting or something when they called and demanded you be present then and there itself like its a matter of national security. They have had the other vehicle in custody for a long while so it's not like they just found out about it either and there was any urgency.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 05:47   #23
BHPian

Glad things worked out for you in the end.
One thing I do when I need to move is to make sure I update my address on all relevant documents which includes RC, DL, Bank, Aadhar, PAN etc. I know it is a hassle getting it done but leaves a peace of mind at the end that I am not missing any important notices/ mails.
Old 12th October 2020, 09:15   #24
BANNED

RTOs should use both engine and chassis numbers and create a unique key and store in their database. It can be done in multiple ways and maybe engine/chassis number could be standardised to something unique like phone and other things in technology.

Good to hear that the whole interaction was good. Its natural to be apprehensive and expect worse whenever we deal with govt agencies.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 09:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The manufacturers must come up with a electronic chip that will be written with the engine and chassis number from factory. .
Agreed, a thought in this direction needs to encouraged. Simply being able to file away is obnoxious in this day and time. How about engraving another copy of the engine number inside the engine block, some where safe that would not affect functionality?

Stolen vehicles would need a competent mechanic who can pull apart the engine, file off the inside print, clean it all up and put it back together. Not to forget that it needs to reliable in the middle of a job! It would need the same effort at the Law Enforcement as well, but all this effort might become a deterrent or a massive misstep for many small time crooks.
Old 12th October 2020, 10:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb97ce6 View Post
Damn! One good reason not to post any vehicle photos on OLX or other with the registration number. It would be easy for a criminal to pick and choose a make and model and make life even more difficult for the owner
How would posting vehicle photos on OLX make it easy for the criminal?
I mean any vehicle on the street are equally prone as basic details are available just by submitting vehicle registration number online. Is there anything specific details being provided additionally on OLX?
Old 12th October 2020, 11:22   #27
BHPian

This thread is a wake up call for me.

I have sold two scooters in Bangalore, one around 2017 and other one in 2019. I checked in Vahan and both vehicles show it is registered under my name . I do not have contact number of those buyers and I am not sure even if they still are owners those vehicles. I also do not live in Bangalore anymore. Is there anything I can do, which distances me any issues which may occur in future?

I understand, I made a mistake of not ensuring ownership was transferred. I was nave, just wanted to get rid of vehicle at the point of sale.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th October 2020 at 11:28. Reason: Post formatted for punctuation. Please refer posting guidelines on expected posting etiquette. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2020, 12:07   #28
BHPian

My colleague in Coimbatore gets notices for helmet violations caught on traffic cams for a bike that bears the same registration number as his vehicle. He has made repeated complaints to the police but his complaints tend to get shifted between stations, departments and jurisdictions. It does not seem to have been resolved so far as the vehicle at fault has not been found as yet.
Old 12th October 2020, 23:01   #29
BHPian

Good to hear that you got out of it. A similar incident happened with my father three years ago. So the incident was like this:-

One fine evening two cops landed at our doorstep, one of them was holding a thick office file in his hand. They asked my father if the two wheeler with number plate MH-27-***** is in his name. Futher they asked, if the vehicle is a black coloured Honda Activa. My father said no, because ours was a white coloured Suzuki Access. The cops added that yesterday our vehicle was involved in a hit and run incident, a female was driving that vehicle and an FIR has been lodged. They futher added that the complainant(a 58 year old man) has also been hospitalised. My father, mother and I were in complete shock as we rarely use that vehicle. They showed us the copy of the FIR. We told him that their is only one female(my mother) in our family of four and she can't even drive. After this, the needle suspicion turned towards me as I was in my final year of engineering at that time.The cops said that I must have given the vehicle to some girl in my college hours. I said no, this isn't true because I have my own bike. They further inspected our vehicle which was parked outside our house for any marks from the accident. After the inspection both the cops were pretty convinced that our vehicle was not involved in any accident recently. One of the cops said that the old man(the complainant) was adamant to lodge an FIR, but there must be some mistake by him in jotting down the vehicle number just after the accident. Then the cops left.

Some days later they called my father in the local police station and asked him to show all the documents of the vehicle. The complainant was also present there, my father showed him our vehicle and asked him if this is the same vehicle involved in accident. He said NO. My father smiled and asked him to take the FIR back. But the complainant was not ready to accept his mistake and said rudely that, "I had noted the number plate correctly and I will not take the FIR back."

After 3-4 visits over the next two months to the police station the cop finally asked a bribe of ten thousand to clear my father's name from the FIR. My father got furious and raised his voice as he knows that he hasn't done anything wrong. He said that, "I will not give you a single penny, do whatever you have to do." After that day the cop didn't called my father. Few more months passed and we were eager to know that what was happening in the case. After some inquiry we got to know that the case has been transferred to other cop as the previous cop was transferred somewhere else. The new cop told us that he is filling for a closure and will request the court to quash the FIR. So finally my family was relieved and happy.
pawank is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed