Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 12:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

So, another parking space story. Back in 2012, I bought a used Swift to do 'haath-saaf' and took the second to last covered parking available in our building. My neighbor got himself a spanking new Honda Brio in the same week and took the last covered parking slot. He has tried driving the car about two times in 8 years and damaged the car in both instances. So he gave up and now hires a driver once every year to do some short trip nearby. 8 years down the line with me changing three cars and selling off two, the neighbor still has the Honda Brio which has run about 1000 km in all. All this for a parking space? Beats me!
4nd3r50n is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 12:57   #47
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
One of my father's colleagues was transferred to Mumbai in mid-1990's and employer was a PSU. Being in senior position they used to get car allowance. So, he bought an old car by paying 15K just to get the car allowance.
There used to be many Italian cars parked outside township quarters those days. Funny part is that all 4 tyres will be removed by the owners and kept inside home so that they don't get damaged due to sun or rains. The car stands with the help of stacked bricks. So Italian models become Eetalian models.
KPR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:02   #48
BHPian

A family I know bought a Renault Kwid apart from the Ciaz they have just because the mother in law and daughter in law can't get along. It seems every road trip they took to tourist places, religious places would end in a sour note. The son got tired of all the arguments and snide comments that kept on coming from both sides. His dad who is very family oriented always wants the family to travel together. Now wherever they go they take both the cars, one driven by his dad and other by him. I was friends with the son and his wife. They are your typical career driven, soft spoken and well educated people. But sadly for 4 people to go out they need 2 cars !

P.S: It seems the main cause of mother in laws anger was that bahu didn't bring in a car. Well the fact that daughter in law works (in a very respectable position) for a beverage conglomerate means nothing to her apparently.
kraken is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:06   #49
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
A family I know bought a Renault Kwid apart from the Ciaz they have just because the mother in law and daughter in law can't get along.
No. I will not ask who drives what !
KPR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:14   #50
BHPian

Over the last 15 years, my grandpa has bought 3 WagonRs' consecutively without even trying any other car, solely because he feels comfortable in this. Everytime his warranty would run out he would sell it and buy a new one even though his annual running barely touches 2-3k kms at max.
Turbolove is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:20   #51
BHPian

The reason we decided to buy a car was because we got a pet! Until then we were perfectly fine taking autos and cabs. Of course, the pandemic is another reason but the primary reason was for the pet.

We had split folding seats as a mandatory requirement when we short listed cars but after trying a couple of them (with the dog) we saw that it wasn’t necessary as he’s a smaller breed. Instead rear AC vents are probably a nicer feature for the dog now.
tinshark is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:23   #52
BHPian

Some bank employees I know bought cars just because they get loans at cheap interest and petrol allowances Most of them damage their cars very soon and end up hiring drivers for the rest of the car's life(which usually run like 10K kms in 10years).
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 13:42   #53
BHPian

Not sure if its a weird reason but my friend used to commute by bus for years. He didn't own a car even after becoming a father to 2 adorable children.

All that changed when he was waiting at a bus stop. A car stopped with the tyre right on top of his foot. After few moments of piercing pain on the road, he was taken to the hospital. He decided that very moment that he would buy a car.

It didn't matter that he was bedridden. All his passion was towards learning to drive and buying a car to commute to office. He learnt to drive and bought a used Maruti as well. And then lockdown happened and he along with the car are holed up at home.
JojyKerala is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:02   #54
BHPian

I know of people working in RBI Mumbai, who buy old beat up cars just to claim vehicle allowance. The car would gather rust and dust in a parking lot, while they commute by local train.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:05   #55

May be this sound weirdest. Solid fire red is the color, I like it(That's my brother), that too on Suzuki Swift it looks awesome. Here we go. Bought Swift ZXI+ 2020 SF Red after selling Black ZDI+ 2014. Reason for the sale was to upgrade.
syedyaseer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:07   #56
BHPian

One of my colleague bought Hyundai Venue because her son wanted a car with sunroof and her friend insisted that she should buy a Hyundai car.
murthy_p is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:45   #57
BHPian

a) I know a landlord in Delhi who bought second hand cars to block parking space for tentative tenants. Given he had a 3 storied house, he maintained 3 cars!

b) I know a person who bought a car and lend it to his brother as he did not know how to drive. The person supposedly got some tax benefits filing fake fuel bill and driver expenses.

c) I know of atleast 3 people who bought Indica simply because it was an Indian product!
amitayu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:45   #58
KPR
BANNED

This is not a reason I've heard but the pattern that I've seen. I've a relative who change cars at around 2.5-3 years of ownership or at 25000 kms. Exactly at that point his clutch plate would've got burnt (IIRC 2 wagonR s, one dzire zxi, one etios petrol). He has the habit of taking off car from 2nd, 3rd gears using clutch, burns it and then blames it on poor built mechanicals. And he buys only a petrol car because he says his spouse feels nauseated while travelling in a diesel car. I tempted him to go for iMT in Venue or Sonet as these currently are most sought in market. Now he has bought a Venue iMT 1.0 turbo . His left leg is still searching for that non existent leg pedal.
KPR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

The image for this thread is showing my wife's car. There was no weird reason for buying it . We had a Rapid and we needed a small car (the i10 was sold) for errands. My wife wanted to try out an automatic. The Celerio was the cheapest (Nano AMT was not yet launched) and the next option was the Brio. We decided to go with the Celerio. The car is still serving us well. My wife does have a lot a weird reasons for not buying any cars that I suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?-screen-celerio.png  

Last edited by pedrolourenco : 14th October 2020 at 14:51.
pedrolourenco is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 14:59   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
He couldn't drive, so I thought now he will learn driving but no, he bought it to sleep there at night to enjoy the AC

That's a dangerous thing to do. Staying overweight is a healthier option, I would say, rather than dying unconsciously inhaling carbon mono-oxide. You ought to convince his dad to move the AC back to his room. Poor chap!
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks