Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 19:09   #1
BHPian

Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

Hi All,

I recently thought about posting a question which came to my mind few months back but then as usual I completely forgot about it. So here goes.

One of my Colleague wanted to buy a car for his wife as a daily drive to office. He already has two cars at home, a Swift used by his father and a Duster driven by him. Her only conditions were that it has to be automatic and preferably small in size. After much debate and discussion, they had narrowed it down to 3 choices -Kwid and Alto and S-Presso.
Meanwhile she joined driving school and the car they provided was Celerio. 10 classes into it and she said she wants a Celerio and not the other 3! This car was rejected outright during discussion phase as she did not like the car styling at all. Then why did she want to buy that? Her reply "I have already got accustomed to it and I don't want to try anything else."

I have not heard a weirder reason for someone to buy something so expensive. So my question to all of you What is the weirdest reason you have heard for someone buying their vehicle?

Mods: Could not find a related thread here. Kindly merge if already available.
RaghuVis is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

My friend back in the day had this to say when he decided to buy the Hyundai i 20. " This car has blue tooth connectivity that enables hands free calling while driving". Yes such a feature was unheard of in that segment when Hyundai first introduced it.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my friends is the darling of all salesmen in Ranchi. Just tell him "Saar there is 2L discount on XYZ model" and he will lap it up in no time, without thinking whether he actually needs the car or not.

2 Yaris, Omni, Gypsy, WagonR- The list is endless.

-He bought both Yaris because there was 2L discount during year end. So apparently he ended up saving 4L.

-Omni was purchased just before it was phased out, for emotional reasons. Same for Gypsy.

-WagonR was bought because the salesman described it as a mini-Innova, perfect for city. Since he is a die hard Innova fan, he sealed the deal even before the salesman completed his description!

He ends up selling most of the cars, before even completing 10k on the odo. I'm patiently waiting for his Gypsy. It has barely done a thousand kilometers till now.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (128) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post

Meanwhile she joined driving school and the car they provided was Celerio.

Thank god the driving school did not provide anything from the big 3 or any other luxury cars to teach her driving. Your friend would have been in a big trouble.
hondafanboy is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase

One of my relatives bought an old car - an 800 - just to retain stake on a parking space in mumbai. It was their parking but because it's an old building with short supply you lose the parking if you don't occupy it or don't ah e a car. Some weird society rules. LOL.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th October 2020 at 20:52.
Axe77 is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One of my relatives bought an almost trashed out old car just to retain stake on a parking space in mumbai.
Why do I get a feeling that this was requested by our GTO Car to keep the parking space but should be fun or iconic. May be it was for his friend or relative but I kind of recollect it.
RavSam is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

My friend Aryan has a 20 year old family business. His neighbour entered into the same sector in 2010. Now whenever Aryan's family gets a new car, his neighbour also purchases the same car in same colour within a few weeks. This had happened 3 times in the past and was more of an ego issue now!

Last year in June, Aryan purchased a white Endeavour with 0004 fancy number. Few months later, his neighbour made an exception and got home a white Fortuner. Just as he thought the ego clash was finally over, he noticed that the Fortuner's plate ended with 0004.

Last edited by self_driven : 9th October 2020 at 20:35.
self_driven is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
:
He bought both Yaris because there was 2L discount during year end. So apparently he ended up saving 4L.
This is easily the best one , 2 lakh for a decent built Yaris is not bad but 2 of them that too sales duds!

What a depreciation disaster he must be facing at the time selling each of them.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Why do I get a feeling that this was requested by our GTO Car to keep the parking space but should be fun or iconic. May be it was for his friend or relative but I kind of recollect it.
Haha. Nothing to do with GTO. It was an old beat up 800 - barely worked and virtually a khataara. But such is the push pull for parkings in old buildings in Bombay. What can I say.
Axe77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 22:20   #10
BHPian

A relative of mine got a Wagon-R because he had to take money from a person but that person was not paying up.

So my relative went and got the car on an equivalent amount of loan with that person paying the EMI's.

Last edited by sv97 : 9th October 2020 at 22:22.
sv97 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 22:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
A relative of mine got a Wagon-R because he had to take money from a person but that person was not paying up.

So my relative went and got the car on an equivalent amount of loan with that person paying the EMI's.
Hah!
We got our 118NE the same way more than a decade ago.
Fun times!
Torq is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 22:29   #12
BHPian

A friend was getting overweight, his father called a mechanic & got the AC removed from his room to push him towards early morning workout.

He went out & bought a battered used car & called me to collect it & park it at his home garage. He couldn't drive, so I thought now he will learn driving but no, he bought it to sleep there at night to enjoy the AC

NaXal is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 22:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

One of my father's colleagues was transferred to Mumbai in mid-1990's and employer was a PSU. Being in senior position they used to get car allowance. So, he bought an old car by paying 15K just to get the car allowance. After end of his tenure in Mumbai, he disposed the car almost at scrap rate
airbus is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 23:02   #14
BHPian

A friend wanted to ride/own a bike after a long time. He discussed it with his wife. She wanted time to think about it. Later he heard his wife tell her colleague on the phone that they were discussing a vehicle purchase, so she couldn’t pick up earlier.
Meanwhile She said NO to his bike purchase citing safety reasons. Great.
The next day She declares that they need to buy some vehicle as her colleagues might laugh that the VEHICLE purchase didn’t go through. They buy an Alto. They already have a Baleno.
The agreement was she would learn to drive on Alto. It would help as the husband need not drive her around.Now he uses the Alto to drop and pick her up from work.
greendream is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 23:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not going to tell the whole story but one of my big shot friend bought two cars in a space of one month and he did not know driving. First car was a Scorpio and the second one was a Fortuner. So after he bought the Scorpio, he started to learn driving and started practising on the same.

Exactly around 20 days later, I found him driving a Fortuner. Surprised, I went ahead and asked him about the Scorpio. His answer- Scorpio has been taken over by wife for her driving practise and since he was being deprived of the same, he went ahead and bought himself a Fortuner

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 9th October 2020 at 23:33.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed