Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 15:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase?

Not sure if my uncle's story cuts in here, but he had the first gen Verna. He used to stay in a small town, with the closest service center / showroom 20 kms away from his home. The car was run around 60,000 kms and then during a normal regular service. The service associate called him up that the engine head has some issues and might need some mending. My uncle did complaint about the lack of power/weird engine behaviour.

My uncle went a day later to inspect before giving a go ahead. Came home with an eon!

Reason : Even if I get the car serviced it will take more than a week's time and will cost quite a bit. I traded my Verna with a little extra cash and got the top end eon. Then and there! Registration and other things are not a big deal they'll happen in due time! I know the showroom owner. There were no good cars in the hyundai line up and none other were readily available. He bought the car as a temporary ride! (A few weeks maybe?) Within a few days he bought the XUV500 which was just launched back then.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 15:15   #62
AZT
BHPian

Re: Weirdest Reason you heard for a car purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik@2020 View Post
I can definitely identify with this - I retained my old WagonR even when it was not being used, only to hold parking slot in my society in Mumbai
I know 2 people who are doing this in a friends society. One of the cars is a M 800 which has not been started in years and used as a store room where the owner dumps things he doesn't want to keep in his house
AZT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 16:36   #63
BHPian

Good thread idea! My first car was a Nissan Micra 'Active' and the reason I bought it was because of the launch discounts that helped me get a bigger hatch for the price of an A segment top-end variant.

While I never actually regretted the decision, I always craved for a silkier 4 pot motor which I could've got for a few thousands more.

I ended up filling that void with a GT TSi just before they stopped the 1.2 4-cylinder TSi. The reason there was to get a 4 cylinder turbo before they changed it to the 3 pot which is apparently better on paper and as people say in real life as well.

But I would've never forgiven myself if I let the opportunity go of owning a 4-pot turbo petrol in a hatch after living 6 years with my Micra.
Kingston is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 16:41   #64
BHPian

This happened some 2 weeks back. Last May I sold my i20 to one of my friends and they decided to upgrade to the brand new 2020 creta by Oct 2020. The main reason to buy the car was they were getting a full finance + the remainder by selling the old car, and had to make zero payment upfront! only EMI!

Last edited by dgogold : 14th October 2020 at 17:00.
dgogold is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:01   #65

A new car at your home makes you more sellable as a groom.

Two of my friends bought new cars right when their parents were searching for a partner for them. One was an upgrade (i10 to Aspire) and another was a first time buy (Amaze). In both the cases, there wasn't a big need for a upgrade or purchase as the i10 was a 3 year old low run car and the amaze guy was staying very close to office and was relatively conservative in his spends. Not to forget, we were fresh out of post graduation and most of us had student loans running to lakhs.

When asked for reasons, among others, the one thing that was similar in their storyline was that their parents were persistent on getting a new ride. The parents' claim was that either there wasn't a car at home or the existing one is small for their status. Enhancing the status, fetches them better bride profiles and gives them an upper hand in 'marriage negotiations'.

Not sure if it is weird, but this is becoming a big reason for car purchase in middle class families looking to get their SONs married as it makes them look richer in front of prospective brides.
Parts007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine loaned some money to a person. Now this person stopped paying but owned a TATA Safari. My friend got frustrated and threatened him that he will take the car into his possession. He went ahead and brought the car home one day. The guy did not complain but the car turned out to a complete mess. Engine needed a bore, the entire car was in a horrible condition. What does my friend do? Take the Safar to a Maruti showroom and in an exchange program got a Wagon R (of course paid some money on top of it). All the paper transfers were taken care of too. My friend didn't need a car at all but ended up owning a Wagon R!
Raghu M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:48   #67
1:1
BHPian

My Cousin Went for Zen Estilo vs Wagon R because Estilo has all 4 power windows vs WagonR has only front two.
1:1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:53   #68
BHPian

I have my share of story on this. While I was in showroom to pick my new car - a friend accompanied me who also showed in interest in buying similar car. I introduce him to a very professional sales advisor. Here goes their conversation -

Sales Rep - "Sir, we have a big range of cars - Hatchback, Sedans, SUVs, Mini-SUVs. In order to advise you the best ride, may I know what are your expectations from the car? Are you looking for a family car or solo? Do you ride in city or highways? Is it going to be your primary car or secondary? Let us know what is your top requirement from your car so that we can advise you accordingly."

My friend - "I need great music quality "

Me - "Facepalm"
pahwa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:54   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
A relative of mine got a Wagon-R because he had to take money from a person but that person was not paying up.

So my relative went and got the car on an equivalent amount of loan with that person paying the EMI's.
I know someone who did the same. Thay had got a pajero through a builder who had to pay them money. One day the bank recovery agents came to collect the car as the builder had stopped paying EMIs. And the car was gone, just like the money.
car-dent is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:09   #70
BHPian

This is a really funny thread and I do have one to contribute.

Way back in 2014, we were planning for our first small car in Bangalore. We were planning it for 2 months (between Chevy Beat vs. Alto Vs. Honda Brio) and and then due to work pressure, the matter was silent for few weeks.

After a few days, we had a big argument among us on something and were not talking to each other for 3 straight days Then I thought of putting this to an end - by asking her one morning - Shall we buy the car we've been thinking of? Her eyes brightened up and were all glee with the thought. We went straight to Honda that evening and booked our very own car - Honda Brio!!

We are stupid!!
palsaumik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I know of atleast 3 people who bought Indica simply because it was an Indian product!
I know someone like that too, but with a Nano. I think that is quite understandable as it is emotional.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:22   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Meanwhile she joined driving school and the car they provided was Celerio. ... ... ... Then why did she want to buy that? Her reply "I have already got accustomed to it and I don't want to try anything else."
Manufacturers must be really keen on selling to driving schools. I have been hearing this reason for decades, even back in GB. I would say that most new drivers I have known do not want to drive a larger vehicle that the driving-school car, and many really want to stick to that model alone.
Quote:
I have not heard a weirder reason for someone to buy something so expensive.
For the non-enthusiast really-new-to-driving driver, I think it makes sense. Didn't even T-BHPers find the road to be a daunting place, the first time they faced it alone? Add in unfamiliar controls to that!

A few years ago, my step daughter was driving a small car. She called me, husband being abroad on business, to shift his SUV out of the way of some house work. Literally, reverse it and put it back again, for her. Hey, I'd never driven an SUV. Now they have just one car between them. A Merc. Happy that she has become confident to drive it too. She realised that it just takes a little adjustment.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:49   #73
BHPian

This is from the early 2000s. A nouveau-riche neighbor who was an up and coming real estate broker decided to upgrade from his old Hero Honda CD100 to a spanking new Maruti Esteem in a golden shade. About 10 months later, his son graduated from medical school and needed a car to commute to his new job at a well known hospital. They got him another identical Maruti Esteem in a golden shade.

My uncle jokingly asked the man, "Sir I think you must really love the Esteem and in that colour?! You have bought two."

The fellow replies in a whispered tone, "No sir! We bought a similar car so that jealousy-filled people will think it is the same and that we have only one car. Why invite evil looks!"

My uncle stared back wondering how to react to the man's sincere concern.
Miel is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:07   #74

This is an interesting and humorous thread to begin with.

I am not sure whether this is a weird reason or not but still i would like to share this.

Back in 2014, when my father went to book our first car, we had decided that it has to be a Maruti and it can't be the standard Alto.

The sales rep showed him a Maruti Alto K10, everything was fine and my father was very impressed with the car and he had already booked the same. My father asked for a test drive for Maruti Alto K10 by sitting on the rear seat as he didn't knew driving with the sales representative at the wheels.

When the Test ride ended, my father banged his head on the roofline of the car while coming out from the back seat and that was it. He immediately asked the Sales rep to change the booking to a WagonR by just having a glance at a car parked nearby.

Needless to mention, the same car has been an integral part of the highs and lows in our lives.
Aksfdb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 19:13   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
My uncle jokingly asked the man, "Sir I think you must really love the Esteem and in that colour?! You have bought two."
This reminds me of an ex-neighbour. When I asked why he had replaced his old Ambassador with a new one, when he could plainly afford something much nicer, he replied that he did not want to be thought of as showing off his wealth.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks