Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 15:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe launched at Rs. 39.30 lakh

Just checked the on-road prices in Mumbai; it’s a no-brainer to go for the 3 series! The 2GC will be DOA, the 3 series is just a lakh apart, with the discounts running on the 3 series it is cheaper than the 2GC. What a joke by BMW India, who prices the two so close to each other!

A prospective 2GC customer will visit the showroom to see the car and leave in the 3 series! A difference of a lakh gets you a much better sedan IMO.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 16:27   #17
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Phew, never thought I'd be able to say it but the 2 Gran Coupe makes my 330i Sport look VFM.
I think this is a good ploy by BMW India Many aspiring customers walk in to get a feel of 2 GC and suddenly realize that a RWD 250+ beast of a car 330i, is just 30-40k more. You are sure to get most of those 2 GC customers to walk out with a 330i.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Idiotic pricing! Buy the G20 330i Sport instead. This car is overpriced by at least 7-8 lacs.

190 HP FWD for the same cost as a 258HP RWD. No thanks BMW. This is a DOA product unless there is a price correction.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 17:08   #19
BHPian

Extremely unrealistic pricing.
But then again almost all BMW models are sold with hefty discounts in place. So maybe they have put this price as the benchmark and then the sales will probably happen at a much lower price.

The dealers will try to justify the price gap between the 2 and 3 by citing that the 2 is a newer model.
Will take an extremely uninformed buyer to buy the 2 at any ex-showroom price above 38 lacs for the top variant.

This car is not for the enthusiasts obviously.
Plenty of non-enthusiasts in the market too.
Old 15th October 2020, 17:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the pricing is deliberately kept high to push customers into buying the 3. More accurately, to limit the discounts they have to offer on the 3. “Saar we are giving you a great deal, you are getting the 3 at almost the price of the 2 series which is brand new and a lower segment. You are getting a higher segment car at lower segment price Saar”. An ingenious way to hide your overpricing. Informed buyers will see right through it though.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:26   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In a time not so far back, the 5-Series used to start at 40 lakhs. Then, the 3-Series & C-Class became 40-lakh cars. Now, the 2-Series starts at 40 lakhs .

What next? In 5 years, the 1-Series for 40 big ones?

No wonder the luxury car market is not growing in India. IMHO, today, cars priced in the 15 - 25 lakh segment offer the maximum bang for the buck. A lot more than the segment below, and matching 80% of the offering of the segments above. No wonder all the action is in the 15 - 20 lakh space.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 19:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Hate to say this but the rear of the 2GC looks like a Honda Amaze and Maruti Dzire went to Louis Vuitton!
That is exactly my thought as well. Those plasticky interiors aren't pleasing either.

With the on-road price around 49 lakhs in Bangalore, a better looking and a proper RWD 330i is just 3.5 lakhs away.
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe launched at Rs. 39.30 lakh-screenshot_20201015193329__01.jpg
neelkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 20:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No wonder the luxury car market is not growing in India. IMHO, today, cars priced in the 15 - 25 lakh segment offer the maximum bang for the buck. A lot more than the segment below, and matching 80% of the offering of the segments above. No wonder all the action is in the 15 - 20 lakh space.

I fully agree with you on this. I have a 2014 W204 C200 (bought on road for 7 lacs less than the ex showroom of this!!) that's just done 33,500km and I will be looking at replacing her 2-3 years down the line. If I want to get a similar category car and not even upgrade, I will need to spend a minimum of 55-60 lacs. As things stand today, the simple fact of the matter is that I am unable to see any value in spending that much money on a car. I have already prepared myself mentally to get the best product in the 15-20 lac price bracket and live with it.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 06:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wrote on the other thread that this one here is one of the worst cars ever made by BMW. And I can elaborate on that. But seriously, how many threads are needed in the forum for this aberration of a car??

For a start, it looks horrendous. Looks like it was conceptualized and designed by a committee. This is not how a compact sedan from BMW should look! Like it was badge engineered from a previous generation Japanese car.

Add to that this is front wheel drive. And that doesn't work for a BMW. At least for someone who grew up loving the brand due to their passion for making it all about the driver! Call me old school, but a rear wheel drive 1 series hatch with a straight 6 is a BMW, no matter how poor it is kitted. I don't care about the touchscreen or LED bamboozling. So, definitely not this!

And they want 39.3 lakhs for this?? I was all angry. But thanks BMW for making me laugh now! In a way good that it is priced this high. I hope I don't have to catch one on the road!

Crazy to think that it was not long ago that BMW was selling the 3 series Corp Edition for 22 lakhs or so. That was a car which kind of kept my dream alive. But that dream of many true enthusiasts is well and truly shot, dead and buried in this country I guess!!

PS: I feel bad for that horse in here, so won't add to this post!
deetjohn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 07:38   #25
BHPian

I am delighted with myself that i didn't plonk 50,000 INR to book the 2GC. Now its better to go for the 330i or 3GT or X1.
Fully agree with our BHP'ians that its over priced by at least 5 lakhs.

Hope that Merc and Audi take note of this when they launch the A class sedan and A3.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:15   #26
BHPian

In Chennai the on road price for the msport variant of the 2 series is 50.9 lacs. Had a quick look at it yesterday. It’s got all the jazzy stuff. But rear leg room is bad despite the scooped out front seats. For what it offers, in my view, easily overpriced by at least 7-8 lacs. I’m glad I booked the 3GT.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:34   #27
BHPian

I'd rather have the 330i sport varient than the 2GC. You get more power, more space and RWD for the same money! The pricing does not make sense to me at all. Maybe when the petrol sport varient of the 2GC comes out it will be more appealing. But then again, the 3 series looks better IMO.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:48   #28
BHPian

BMW looks to have moved to the Aisin gearbox in the 2 series as mentioned in the Overdrive review. Not sure if this gearbox is as good as the tried and tested 8speed ZF gearbox on the 3/5 series..

Addtionally the pricing difference of the 2 series diesel and 3 series diesel sportline is only a max of 3-4 L. Will always make sense to go for the 3 series unless you need a compact sedan.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Another way of looking at it is that you get a 20d engine from a segment or two up with no loss in output in a smaller, more chuckable package. This should negate the lack of RWD fun to some extent, no? Makes it more practical in the city and the short overhangs will help navigate bad roads/speedbreakers better. Sure the price is a downer, but most folks do know that the price will be discounted in a bit and those of the segments above are going to shoot up.
Old 16th October 2020, 13:25   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrangiri View Post
BMW looks to have moved to the Aisin gearbox in the 2 series as mentioned in the Overdrive review. Not sure if this gearbox is as good as the tried and tested 8speed ZF gearbox on the 3/5 series..

Addtionally the pricing difference of the 2 series diesel and 3 series diesel sportline is only a max of 3-4 L. Will always make sense to go for the 3 series unless you need a compact sedan.
The same gearbox has been available in mini cooper and the current gen X1 since launch. It is quite smooth and quick with shifts. No issues with it as such.
This is done as their ZF gearbox doesn't play well with the transverse layout of UKL platform
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks