Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used BMW 3-Series today?
Yes 419 76.74%
No 127 23.26%
Voters: 546. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 03:28   #31
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)

Looking for a 2015 - 16 C, I bumped into my 17 F30 LCI and then there was no turning back! A HUGE Yes when it comes to the Bavarians, irrespective of the negatives, this car is sheer brilliance. I was never a fan of bimmers and tbh, after owning this, cannot wait to add more bimmers to the garage over the years to come!

• Torque - Absolutely a hoot!
• Handling - Purist criticize the Electric steering but I for one absolutely loved it, exactly what I wanted!
• Simple Interiors, Ease of maintenance, retaining the "BMW Feel"
• The LED Head lamps & tail Lamps look stunning at night.
• Crazy fuel efficient! I drive the vehicle for nearly 700 kms in Bangalore traffic. Can't ask for anything more from a nearly 200 HP car.
• Driving Position - Absolutely spot on! I have become so used to it that I literally keep fiddling with my City's seat to find the right driving position. It's just perfect, atleast for me.
• After Sales Service of Navnit Motors, Bangalore.

Dislikes:-

• Petty Niggles at times but nothing the SVC couldn't handle, they were quite prompt in fixing them all within a day.
• RFTs, the worst part about the car. I recently went in for a staggered setup moving to Michelin PS4 and it made me realise the untapped potential.
• A Little bit more luxury would had been appreciated! The C literally makes you feel like you're driving a German barge.
• Boot Space with space saver, Airport runs? Take your other car! The boot cannot swallow luggage nor does it has split seats.
• Cost Cutting by BMW India, didn't provide a better, more premium ICE even for a price. The current setup is pretty decent but lacks the overall oomph.

The Mandatory snap!

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_20201015_233319_551__01.jpg

Last edited by YashD : 18th October 2020 at 03:32. Reason: Basic Changes
YashD is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:23   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Purist criticize the Electric steering but I for one absolutely loved it, exactly what I wanted!
I agree - BMW tunes its EPS quite well & I love my F10's steering too. But it's only when you compare it to the magic & purity of the E90 / E60 hydraulic steerings that you realise what you are missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ18 View Post
Would a E90 325i or 330i make sense as they have the inline 6 engines, rear seat comfort is not a priority, the stiffer suspension is preferred, are are available for even cheaper than the F30 320d.
Worst sedan one can buy, IMHO. Completely dead below 3,000 rpm, terribly heavy steering in the city, terribly stiff ride quality, cramped rear seat & 5 kmpl in the city. I drove the E90 330i and as you can tell, didn't think too much of it.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I agree - BMW tunes its EPS quite well & I love my F10's steering too. But it's only when you compare it to the magic & purity of the E90 / E60 hydraulic steerings that you realise what you are missing.

Worst sedan one can buy, IMHO. Completely dead below 3,000 rpm, terribly heavy steering in the city, terribly stiff ride quality, cramped rear seat & 5 kmpl in the city. I drove the E90 330i and as you can tell, didn't think too much of it.
But for someone who's not gonna compare the car with other BMWs, would it be a good buy?

It's only after you compare that you realise how bad/good your car is..
ignorance is bliss? or is the car bad even without introducing the term "relatively"
Old 19th October 2020, 15:45   #34
BHPian

Voted Yes.

Someday, hopefully this dream comes true too and I have 25 - 30 big ones to spare and not be worried too much .
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:08   #35
BHPian

Voted : A Big Yes.

The car is so spot on that even sometimes the clutter of the engine sounds good. It is a great buy and a keeper since it is built solid. The only grouse being the tyres and the lack of space with the spare.

All said, sometimes it just lights up your day.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img3134.jpeg  

viana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
- Front parking sensors and cruise control are also available in some variants. It is a pretty well equipped car, especially the luxury line variant with 9 speaker stereo, ambient lighting, front and rear parking sensors and rear camera, cruise control etc.
ing.
+1 to this. My 328i came stock with extremely accurate front and rear parking sensors, a reverse cam, a 9 speaker Harmon Kardon system, the widescreen iDrive, ambient lighting, a head-up display, a 20GB built-in hard drive for media playback, multiple seat memory positions, a sunroof, and some of the best sport seats in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
A big yes from me, and like Lamborghini, I too put my money where my mouth is and picked up a pre-owned 328i, on which I've racked up 20k KMS in about 2 years.
There are very few flies in the proverbial ointment, but the soft suspension and watered down steering are two of them. You can always fix that with aftermarket springs and what not, but you'd be a fool to do so.

Like any German, if you treat her with love, and tackle issues pre-emptively, she'll treat you well. This one's a keeper.
+1 again. Regular scheduled maintenance is something you need to keep all cars running well, and especially so for the German big three.

For me personally, the interior could've been designed a little less stodgily. The materials are great, ergonomics are spot on, and everything looks good even years down the line, but BMW just can't pull off interiors the way Merc and Audi can.
This is even true in the current G20 - the interiors of the Merc C-class and Audi A4 just look better, and there's no denying that they've got better rear legroom.

Where the F30 platform scores massively is:
(a) driving dynamics
(b) reliability, and
(c) the ZF gearbox. It's AMAZING. I really don't want to get into the pointless debate between the BMW-tuned ZF and VAG's DQ range of gearboxes in the Audis and VWs, but the ZF gearbox, especially in BMWs, is fast and responsive when you want it to be, and smooth and unobtrusive when you want it to be. Also, it's immensely reliable.
(d) the potential for almost limitless upgrades and modifications, both mechanical and aesthetic.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-02.jpg
Minor mods make a massive difference, like the M-style double slat gloss black grille and the M-style mirror caps.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-04.jpg
The ground clearance isn't the greatest, but if you're careful you won't bottom out unless the road conditions are deplorable.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-05.jpg
Cosmetic and aesthetic upgrades can be had on the cheap if you know where to look, like this ambient-lighting radio surround from the LCI model.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-06.jpg
Have laptop, will remap!!!
Remaps from established tuners like Pro Tuning Freaks aren't overwhelmingly difficult and can be done yourself using your laptop or even your phone.

Last edited by ghostrider : 19th October 2020 at 16:48.
ghostrider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:34   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't voted; because I am not very sure whether I can place my heart on the decision. Whilst a BMW is a dream car that I would aspire to own one day, I may not ever buy one. The issue isn't in buying one; but the eye watery prices at which we need to maintain it.

As you have rightly brought out, will need to find an independent mechanic to repair and maintain, who won't bill you blowing sanity to winds.
dhanushmenon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:40   #38
BHPian

Voted yes as I would have bought this at some point in India. Makes tremendous sense compared to other premium offerings as it sold plenty. But I am more interested in the 328i more than the 320d.
Old 19th October 2020, 23:48   #39
BHPian

Voted no. I somehow cannot get myself to buy a used BMW. I'm going to buy this once in my life to cure the itch. I'd want to spec it EXACTLY how I've dreamt it and enjoy the new car experience.
Old 20th October 2020, 09:56   #40
BHPian

Voted "no".
I'm all for practicality in a car and the BMW cars in India just don't do it for me.
When we came back to India, we made the trip to BMW and Mercedes showrooms to look at the cars. None made sense at the price point and the added expense of horrendously expensive servicing and spares. I also found the cars to be underpowered compared to their counterparts in the West
Went into the aftermarket space and all the BMWs we drove (3 and 5 series) had diesel engines, with a lot of engine clatter which entered the cabin. A big deal-breaker for us.
Lowered expectations and finally decided on a pre-owned Superb petrol and have not regretted my decision.

Except for the snob value, I don't see too many other benefits in a BMW in India.
My personal view and I say 'to each their own' !
Sanjivvohra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 10:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted a big Yes. I am driving one since 2013 and just recently did a 480 km long drive. Buying this car is the best decision I ever took. While it has its cons which are very well stated in the opening posts, but when you drive it, everything else just becomes less relevant. The used car market prices are horrible as these cars depreciate very fast. And one can easily find a good example in the 12-14L range. My car has been overall quite reliable and has now completed 71k km in the last 7 years.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 15:09   #42
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjivvohra View Post
Voted "no".
I'm all for practicality in a car and the BMW cars in India just don't do it for me.
When we came back to India, we made the trip to BMW and Mercedes showrooms to look at the cars. None made sense at the price point and the added expense of horrendously expensive servicing and spares.
My personal view and I say 'to each their own' !
Blame it on our tax policies.You can't directly convert the dollar rate and dismiss them as non value propositions, yes compared to the bang for bucks of a C-segment or a D-segment, these are overpriced.
A pre-worshipped fixes this issue of overpricing and you do get good cars at the right price, though a tough ask in Bangalore compared to other metros.

A 28-29K USD Camry Hybrid sells for 46-47lakhs in Bangalore and 40-50K 3/C/A4 in US is 50-60Lakhs in Bangalore, so I would say more car per Dollar with a German
sgm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Blame it on our tax policies.You can't directly convert the dollar rate and dismiss them as non value propositions, yes compared to the bang for bucks of a C-segment or a D-segment, these are overpriced.
A pre-worshipped fixes this issue of overpricing and you do get good cars at the right price, though a tough ask in Bangalore compared to other metros.

A 28-29K USD Camry Hybrid sells for 46-47lakhs in Bangalore and 40-50K 3/C/A4 in US is 50-60Lakhs in Bangalore, so I would say more car per Dollar with a German
Won't disagree at all! Bangalore used cars are also priced at a premium and its heart wrenching when you you have to pay those prices.
Is it my imagination or are the luxury cars sold in India a paler version of their cousins overseas? I distinctly got this impression when I test drove the Germans.
The diesel clatter in used BMW did it for me. I couldn't find a decent petrol version.
I'm happy with my garage of pre-owned Superb and Endevour.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Is it my imagination or are the luxury cars sold in India a paler version of their cousins overseas? I distinctly got this impression when I test drove the Germans.
Yes, they're a paler version, no question about it. You're paying more for a 320d here than you'd pay for a M340i in the US. It's just something that we need to live with, which is why as @sgm said, it makes sense to shop around in the pre-owned markets and hold out for something with low miles and BSI.

Quote:
The diesel clatter in used BMW did it for me. I couldn't find a decent petrol version.
Yes again, but with a caveat. Older models like the first-gen X1 and the E90 320d had uncharacteristically loud diesel clatter at startup, but they'd settle down substantially within a few minutes and you'd barely hear it inside. The newer F30 and G20 series are significantly more refined.
My F30 328i also isn't as refined at startup as say, my friend's 2015 Honda City, but again, they settle down massively within a few minutes and when you're driving the NVH is top-notch.
Old 21st October 2020, 12:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Voted : A Big Yes.

The car is so spot on that even sometimes the clutter of the engine sounds good. It is a great buy and a keeper since it is built solid. The only grouse being the tyres and the lack of space with the spare.

All said, sometimes it just lights up your day.
This is perhaps the ONLY silver F30 I've ever seen in this country. Fantastic colour.

Most Viewed