Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used BMW 3-Series today?
Yes 422 76.59%
No 129 23.41%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 14:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
+1 to this. My 328i came stock with extremely accurate front and rear parking sensors, a reverse cam, a 9 speaker Harmon Kardon system, the widescreen iDrive, ambient lighting, a head-up display, a 20GB built-in hard drive for media playback, multiple seat memory positions, a sunroof, and some of the best sport seats in the market.

The 9 speaker system is not Harman Kardonn afaik. Do the speakers have Harman Kardonn badging on the grills? If not, it is the standard 9 speaker stereo, which is not bad by itself with 2 underseat woofers. But would have loved a Harman Kardonn option if available.

Rgds
Old 21st October 2020, 17:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
The 9 speaker system is not Harman Kardonn afaik. Do the speakers have Harman Kardonn badging on the grills? If not, it is the standard 9 speaker stereo, which is not bad by itself with 2 underseat woofers. But would have loved a Harman Kardonn option if available.

Rgds
Not true. I've opened up the center of the dash when installing my LED radio surround and the head unit clearly has Harmon Kardon branding, which I was surprised to see. It turns out that the system is still an HK system despite not sporting any HK branding on the speaker grills.

You're right about the fact that the 9-speaker system isn't bad (could definitely be better in the low and midrange) but a speaker upgrade (like BAVsound) makes a huge difference.

Last edited by ghostrider : 21st October 2020 at 17:24.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 17:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Not true. I've opened up the center of the dash when installing my LED radio surround and the head unit clearly has Harmon Kardon branding, which I was surprised to see. It turns out that the system is still an HK system despite not sporting any HK branding on the speaker grills.

You're right about the fact that the 9-speaker system isn't bad (could definitely be better in the low and midrange) but a speaker upgrade (like BAVsound) makes a huge difference.
Good to know that the Head Unit is HK. Yes, a Bavsound upgrade would be awesome, if you go the whole way and upgrade all speakers and amp. But pretty expensive and not easily available in India. Maybe one day if I can spare some money, I will ask my brother to carry it with him to India on one of his trips.

Any other ideas on improving the sound? Would some damping help?

rgds
Old 25th October 2020, 18:16   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know that the Head Unit is HK. Yes, a Bavsound upgrade would be awesome, if you go the whole way and upgrade all speakers and amp. But pretty expensive and not easily available in India. Maybe one day if I can spare some money, I will ask my brother to carry it with him to India on one of his trips.

Any other ideas on improving the sound? Would some damping help?

rgds
Yeah they're stupidly expensive, and the reviews don't seem to justify the money.
I might be transferring the amp and sub from one of my other cars to the 328i, because I suspect the speakers are fine, they're just being I adequately driven by the amp.

I'll keep you posted.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 17:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The 9 speaker system is not Harman Kardonn afaik.
9 speakers? The 328i has 7 speakers, not 9. It lacks the two sub woofers under the front seats. That came only with the HK badged speaker system and was in the luxury line, not the sportline. At least my 328i is equipped with 7 speakers.
Old 26th October 2020, 17:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
9 speakers? The 328i has 7 speakers, not 9. It lacks the two sub woofers under the front seats. That came only with the HK badged speaker system and was in the luxury line, not the sportline. At least my 328i is equipped with 7 speakers.
Well, mine is a 320d luxury line with 9 speakers 205Watt system. And it is not a Harman badged system.
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this. My 328i came stock with extremely accurate front and rear parking sensors, a reverse cam, a 9 speaker Harmon Kardon system
I was referring to the post above which details the accessories on a 328i. My 328i has all the above but it definitely does not have 9 speakers. The 328is here do not come fitted with the subwoofers under the front seat.

Quote:
Well, mine is a 320d luxury line with 9 speakers 205Watt system. And it is not a Harman badged system.
Oh. I thought the luxury line came with the HK badging. Which model come with it then? Or is it an optional upgrade?
Old 26th October 2020, 18:30   #53
BHPian

Quote:
+1

As per my research via Various BMW forums across the World, Indian F30 top end variants (Luxuryline & MSport) comes equipped with standard BMW Head unit with Alpine speakers (it's a paid upgrade abroad) but comes standard in Indian F30 as the same didn't came equipped with HK or Logic.
Old 26th October 2020, 19:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I could be wrong about 9 vs 7 speakers, but the actual system is definitely a Harmon Kardon system, albeit unbadged - probably to get people to upgrade?
I've seen the HK labeling on the head unit when I've opened up the center of the dash to do the LED radio surround install.
Wish I'd taken pics, but unfortunately I didn't.
Old 26th October 2020, 20:51   #55
BHPian

Guys just decode your VIN through any online VIN Decoder and you can figure out. I think the 328i Sportline got the Hi-Fi system, cause that's what my Vin shows. Even the option code matches (676). Take a look at this link - https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...-audio-for-bmw
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_0810.jpg  

Old 26th October 2020, 21:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Oh. I thought the luxury line came with the HK badging. Which model come with it then? Or is it an optional upgrade?
It was not an optional upgrade, but standard fitment on 2018 manufactured 320D luxury line. Even the brochure mentioned the 9 speaker system with 205 watts of power as standard. Maybe BMW added it as they continuously add or delete features on their models.

Rgds
Old 26th October 2020, 22:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
I could be wrong about 9 vs 7 speakers, but the actual system is definitely a Harmon Kardon system, albeit unbadged - probably to get people to upgrade?
I've seen the HK labeling on the head unit when I've opened up the center of the dash to do the LED radio surround install.
Wish I'd taken pics, but unfortunately I didn't.
You might be mistaken. While installing a reverse camera earlier this year, I had too opened the enter dash of my 2016 BMW 320i LCI Luxury Line and headunit mentioned Made by HARMAN. This does not mean that the speaker system is a debadged Harman Kardon system, infact if you take a look at the amplifier in the boot of your car there won't be any branding for HK either. What you may have is the same system as I do which is the 9 speaker 205W Hifi System that came standard in the luxury line, m sport variant but was omitted in the prestige variant.
Old 27th October 2020, 00:33   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
You might be mistaken. While installing a reverse camera earlier this year, I had too opened the enter dash of my 2016 BMW 320i LCI Luxury Line and headunit mentioned Made by HARMAN. This does not mean that the speaker system is a debadged Harman Kardon system, infact if you take a look at the amplifier in the boot of your car there won't be any branding for HK either. What you may have is the same system as I do which is the 9 speaker 205W Hifi System that came standard in the luxury line, m sport variant but was omitted in the prestige variant.
Possible, but I don't think so. I recall distinctly seeing Harman Kardon badging on the head unit when I'd opened up the dash, but it's possible I'm remembering this wrong.

In any case, the audio quality's just fine for a cast in this segment. It's nothing special, but isn't tinny and anemic either.
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:20   #59

How wise is it to buy 2012-2013 3 series which are currently priced under 18 lacs.?

What are the most important issues that one should be looking for apart from usual wear and tear stuff?
snap2329 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 17:37   #60
BHPian

I live in Bangalore, I am thinking of buying a used 3 series from Delhi and use it in Bangalore. Even after paying the road tax, it would still be cheaper than a similar car being sold in Bangalore. And then I can sell it in Bangalore 3-5 years later losing less in depreciation.
What do you say, BHPians?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks