Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used BMW 3-Series today?
Yes 422 76.59%
No 129 23.41%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 17:11   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
2012 car does not have Sunroof, and my friend says he is unable to play music via bluetooth, even though he can take calls. My E90 has A2DP.
How come 2012 F30 Does not?
A lot of features were missing in the 2012 F30 320d too. Bluetooth streaming was missing in the 320d, and was later added sometime in 204 or so. 328i was always fully kitted, but not 320d. Before LCI, even 320d Sportline missed features such as paddle shifters, full screen iDrive, Sports+ transmission etc. All these were added to 320d in the LCI version in 2016. Thus, in 2016 the 320d became really fully loaded. Back in 2012, the 320d was certainly not well kitted.

However, the 320i was even further poorly kitted compared to 320d back in 2012. For example, 320d Sportsline in 2012 had Bi-Xenon headlamps. But the 320i did not. 320i had simple halogen lights back in 2012. And there were few other differences too. This is why I said that 320i was poorly kitted compared to 320d in 2012.
Dr.AD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:44   #77
BHPian

Thank you everyone for your wishes! Will post more pics of the Android head unit that I have installed this weekend with complete details on this thread.

Also received a lot of private messages regarding precautions and pointers I used while buying my used car.
To summarise, 3 main things to remember while buying used cars from my experience.

1. Test Drive multiple cars of the same type. It will exactly tell you what differences exist driving wise between each car and which is better or worse. Use the Gandhiji’s 3 monkeys strategy on the test drive i.e HEAR closely for sounds such as nut rattles, door squeaking, engine sound on revving, suspension thudding, music system for working speakers, etc. SEE closely for scratches, corrosion, body paint unevenness or discolouration to look for touchups, rim damage, tyre wear, leakage within cabin eg: from Sunroof, non alignment of body panels or doors giving clue to if doors were removed (hand fit is always flawed compared to factory fit). SPEAK clearly to ask for service history, damage repair work, flooding history, insurance claims and most of all Bargaining! Also remember that you can never find a perfect car.

2. Before finalising the deal, get it checked at BMW or any independent experienced workshop (NOT local mechanic) that you trust. Price may range from 2-10k depending on where you do it but take my word, it will be one of the best investments you can ever do.

3. Do ask for a detailed service history from BMW. If not present, call for it or else walk away however tempting the deal maybe. An official service history will tell you exactly what was/is wrong with the car, insurance claims if any along with odometer readings when serviced. The odometer reading will also give you clue if your car’s readings have been tampered with or not. Eg: my car’s last service at BMW was 6 months ago at a reading of 420XX km. On buying it 6 months later it was 456XX km. So its safe to assume that the meter was non tampered. Also it had service intervals regularly every year with around 3-7k km difference between each service which means the reading is probably genuine.

For more information, please go through some of these posts put together excellently by Team-Bhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/indian...id-used-market

https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/logi...-old-used-cars

Last edited by Starfire : 18th November 2021 at 19:45.
Starfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Got my pre-worshiped beast this June. Its a 2013 Silver 320d Sportline. It had 45000 km on the odometer.
Congratulations on your new purchase! That ICE screen looks so good and feels right at home. Great job!

Last edited by Aditya : 19th November 2021 at 05:04. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
gt3t0uring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 12:23   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
Though I have posted my query here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5197667,

I find this thread is the right one to get help from experts.

I am looking for a 320d preowned in Chennai. How much I can expect a price of a Aug'20 manufactured, Feb'21 registered G20 320d luxury line single owned which has done 9.5K kms? Anything to check and take care before taking delivery particularly to this model? Thanks in advance. Should I consider manufactured month or registered month for depreciation calculation?
Hey,

I am assuming this is the car that you are talking about

https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in...k=29&isP=false

Considering the car is 1 year old, the depreciated amount should be 42,60,000 according to the table mentioned in this thread (71%)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...pped-cars.html

But I am not sure whether you will get this BMW in that price especially in Chennai. I would advise you to quote the above price and finalise it at 44-45 lacks. If he is not willing to budge then you should look at the following options even though they are 2019 models.

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/17880.html

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...ies/17579.html

The second car looks like an attractive option as it is practically brand new with only a running of 76kms. I do not know how much the re-registration costs will be but it is an option to be considered.

If I were in your shoes though I would bargain hard on the first car and walk out with a sweet deal as you don't have to deal with the hassles of re-registration
M A D over CARS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 17:20   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A D over CARS View Post
Hey,

I am assuming this is the car that you are talking about

If I were in your shoes though I would bargain hard on the first car and walk out with a sweet deal as you don't have to deal with the hassles of re-registration
Thank you so much. Yes it is the same car. I will check with dealer on this point.

In meantime, based on discussions with my close circle and my usage, I am also trying used X3. But very difficult to get one now within my conditions. I will keep on hunt as no urge for me.

One basic query: How do you arrive that value? I don't find a right link on how to evaluate (cost) a used car.

Other queries: If car is manufacture in 2020 and registered in 2021, how to calculate the depreciation apart from checking whether the car is a test vehicle. Are feb/mar registered BMW cars only manufactured in previous year (CKD takes time)?
Old 21st November 2021, 21:31   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
Other queries: If car is manufacture in 2020 and registered in 2021, how to calculate the depreciation apart from checking whether the car is a test vehicle. Are feb/mar registered BMW cars only manufactured in previous year (CKD takes time)?
If buying from authorized dealership check service history and date of start of warranty : if it's a demo car, it would show up as such in their system.
If buying from outside the authorized dealer, do go to them to enquire about service history and for a paid check up of the vehicle.

It's not uncommon for late 2020 manufactured vehicles to be sold in 2021 : with first lockdown, car sales were still sluggish in end 2020. However the first buyer could have got a sweet discount when buying this in early 2021 too.

Last edited by manson : 22nd November 2021 at 09:06. Reason: Typo.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Got my pre-worshiped beast this June.
Many congrats on your sweet ride Starfire!
I’ve myself picked up the X3 xdrive30d (F25) from infinity Mumbai last month.
I live in Goa, and folks in Pune, and Goa-Pune remains a constant. I’m also 6’4” and it fits my giant self well in it!!

As a sailor, I’ve not been able to post many times, but I continue to tutor myself through Santoshbhatt’s thread of the same car, and GTO’s used 5 series thread. I should’ve probably used hyperlinks here, while crediting where due!

Service history, as you’ve rightly mentioned becomes a priority and the car was serviced from Infinity Motors throughout its life. Except for an idrive system replacement there was nothing major on the one that’s with me. She’s just about finished 36,000 on the odo now, 2k of which I’ve done through a couple of Goa - Pune drives.

RFTs remain my biggest concern given the condition of the ghat stretches, and for now, I normally lookout for the car more than enjoying the drive.
I’ll leave you with a glimpse of my car with a touch of cosmetic change.

Wish you many happy and hassle free miles on your car!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-95a28190c6d44909a42a039a013a0155.jpeg  

humbleroadster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2021, 10:15   #83
BHPian

I am looking at a 25k driven 3 years old 3 GT Sports line. The car is under warranty till Dec 2022. Would buying a 3GT diesel be a good decision? Does it have any disadvantage in terms of reliability or maintenance costs? From reviews I gather that the rear seats does not have adequate recline and gets bouncy due to the length of car. Are these valid concerns? Lowest price seller is quoting is 37 lakhs. Isn't this very steep?
Old 11th December 2021, 14:18   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
I am looking at a 25k driven 3 years old 3 GT Sports line. The car is under warranty till Dec 2022. Would buying a 3GT diesel be a good decision? Does it have any disadvantage in terms of reliability or maintenance costs? From reviews I gather that the rear seats does not have adequate recline and gets bouncy due to the length of car. Are these valid concerns? Lowest price seller is quoting is 37 lakhs. Isn't this very steep?
The price is super steep! I'd rather buy a 4 year old F10 520D for that price or a 330i GT. Heck, I saw a G20 330i Sport listed on a car portal for a little bit more and it's totally worth the additional outlay being a much newer and better driving machine that will retain its value much better than the 3GT 20d.

Since the car is only 3 years old and with valid warranty, warranty should be able to be extended to 6 years (additional 2 years).
The 320D is fairly reliable, with a few common niggles like wheel speed sensor, sticky door handles, etc. Have it inspected at an authorized dealer and check the service and accident history too.

The 3GT has fairly comfortable rear seats : the height and placement make if feel more spacious than even the 5 series, and it's quite comfortable a place to be in. The ride on the LCI model (which I assume this is) has improved as BMW updated the suspension to make it a little stiffer - the length has nothing to do with the ride quality : a good test drive on a road such as the eastern freeway should give you an idea of how the car would perform across situations.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 08:36   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The price is super steep! I'd rather buy a 4 year old F10 520D for that price or a 330i GT. Heck, I saw a G20 330i Sport listed on a car portal for a little bit more and it's totally worth the additional outlay being a much newer and better driving machine that will retain its value much better than the 3GT 20d.
Thanks for the reply. I am evaluating two 3GT (both single owner):

1. Nov 2017, 320d Luxury Line 28000 km 1st Owner, car not under warranty
Seller is dealer and listing price is 31 lakhs (30 should be possible)

2. Dec 2018, 320d Sports line 24000 km 1st Owner, under warranty till Dec 2022 and full one year insurance
Seller is individual and he has indicated last price of 37 lakhs

Which one of these 2 should I pursue? Second one has an advantage of BMW warranty? Does buying a used 3GT means a lower resale value 3-4 years from now as compared to buying a user 3 series or are 3GT variant are equally loved in pre-owned segment?
Old 12th December 2021, 19:27   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am evaluating two 3GT (both single owner):

1. Nov 2017, 320d Luxury Line 28000 km 1st Owner, car not under warranty
Seller is dealer and listing price is 31 lakhs (30 should be possible)

2. Dec 2018, 320d Sports line 24000 km 1st Owner, under warranty till Dec 2022 and full one year insurance
Seller is individual and he has indicated last price of 37 lakhs

Which one of these 2 should I pursue? Second one has an advantage of BMW warranty? Does buying a used 3GT means a lower resale value 3-4 years from now as compared to buying a user 3 series or are 3GT variant are equally loved in pre-owned segment?
Is there any reason you're looking for a 3GT in particular?
In terms of resale the 3GT does have a slight upper hand but the gap will diminish over the years.

If your budget was 30, it would make sense but if you can stretch to 37 or more; there are better options to be had.
I'd completely avoid the 3GT Sportline. It has lower features and is priced too close to newer and better options. Instead it would be better to wait a few months and pick up a 2018 520d for close to 40L which is much more modern and something you would hold on to for much longer.
If you can stretch further, I'd negotiate hard on examples such as this, and this.
Within your budget there are some fun 6 cylinder options available too though slightly older (so advisable to keep some money aside for maintenance which seems possible looking at the asking price - dealer margin is more than 2-3L at least on luxury cars): this and this
Old 16th December 2021, 00:08   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any reason you're looking for a 3GT in particular?
Not at all. Just that I came across two 3GT back to back. Pre owned market also seem to be tight and overpriced amid new car shortage. I have not been able to locate more than couple of 3 series under 3 years. Choices are limited.

Quote:
Instead it would be better to wait a few months and pick up a 2018 520d for close to 40L which is much more modern and something you would hold on to for much longer.
That is what I was also thinking. ~30 lakhs for 3 series and ~40 lakhs for 520d. Open to buy either depending on how and when I get an under warranty car. 6 cylinders cars will have very high maintenance and might be too much to digest in my first luxury car. For the same reason, strictly looking for under 3 years pre-owned car.

Thanks for the inputs.
manish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 14:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not at all. Just that I came across two 3GT back to back. Pre owned market also seem to be tight and overpriced amid new car shortage. I have not been able to locate more than couple of 3 series under 3 years. Choices are limited.
In that case, I'd advise you think about your requirements and explore all the options basis your needs. The 3 series is compact & fun - if you can spend 40L, I would look strongly at the G20 330i Sport pre-owned.
If you want a family tourer that you enjoy being behind the wheel of - the F10/G30.
If ride quality, NVH, Quality interiors matter : Audi maybe the way to go and you should be able to strike a good deal on their pre-owned cars, or maybe even a sweet deal on the new A4 Premium that's been launched at 40L.
If brand is important : Mercedes, but look for facelifted variants only as maintaining a Mercedes is a little more expensive than BMW or Audi.

Options should increase in Jan/Feb once Manufacturers roll out their price hikes, and used car dealers are able to 'justify' not reducing their prices. And please bargain hard - I wouldn't settle for a lakh here or there, but prices should come down a good 3-4L for cars in stock with dealers and even more if it's an Authorized Dealer!
The negotiating power however would be lower if it's a park and sell which many dealers do - on commission basis, but if it's in the dealer inventory then please bargain hard.
I saw a dealer asking 35L for a 2018 A4 petrol which came with a 1.4TSi engine! A brand new similarly equipped facelift model with the 2.0TSi and new gearbox is 46L on road. IMO that A4 is a Rs. 25L car at best.
Similarly we sold our A6 for 9.xL, the next day ad was listed for 12.xL; a friend was offered 9.xL for his CRV, but no dealer listed a CRV for below 12L online. So bargain hard!
Old 27th December 2021, 00:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
RFTs remain my biggest concern given the condition of the ghat stretches, and for now, I normally lookout for the car more than enjoying the drive.
I’ll leave you with a glimpse of my car with a touch of cosmetic change.

Wish you many happy and hassle free miles on your car!!
Even i have a f25 x3 3.0d. It's a brilliant vehicle. Mine is the pre lci. I replaced the run flats with continental sport contact 5 just to improve the ride a little bit.

Many happy miles

Cheers

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2021 at 07:14. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Thegermanbadger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 15:56   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegermanbadger View Post
I replaced the run flats with continental sport contact 5
Thank you!
Also, a staggered set up? I’ve just done a Goa -Pune stint and the road conditions are beyond bad in some sections. Quite the concern for existing rubber.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks