Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used BMW 3-Series today?
Yes 422 76.59%
No 129 23.41%
Voters: 551. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 16:31   #91
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbleroadster View Post
Thank you!
Also, a staggered set up? I’ve just done a Goa -Pune stint and the road conditions are beyond bad in some sections. Quite the concern for existing rubber.
The size is stock 245/ 50 r18. I drove the car on the new tyres to Himachal and did some mild off- roading too. It was fine on the Sport Contacts. I have the Pirelli run flats in storage too.

Also, I recently saw the etunner stage 3 X3 in Mumbai.

What an absolute beast. 0-100 in 4 odd seconds. Insane.

Do check it out. It's a red X3.

Cheers
Thegermanbadger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 09:09   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegermanbadger View Post
0-100 in 4 odd seconds. Insane.

Do check it out. It's a red X3.

Cheers
4 seconds is insane, alright! Where is the road for this?!
Also, a red X3 seems like a definite first. I’ve never seen one on road in the colour and should look swanky!
Cheers!
Old 2nd January 2022, 16:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Got my pre-worshiped beast this June. Its a 2013 Silver 320d Sportline.
Congrats However, your comparison with Polo GT TSI FE makes me wonder yours is diesel car or I made a gross mistake?

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd January 2022 at 09:08. Reason: For ease of reading, please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:06   #94
BHPian

I own a 2019 Octavia 1.8 L&K and it's one heck of a car. Despite being an amazing driver, my wife hesitates to drive it because she knows how much I care about it. She's worried that she'll eventually scratch it and I will be upset. Despite my every attempt to tell her that cars will inevitably get scratches, she's standing her ground to not drive it alone when she needs to.

As I've failed miserably to convince her to drive it, I am now planning to get her a used car on a budget of 6 to 8 lacs. I want this car to be a second-primary car. This means it's not going to be a small car with bad safety or a big car that ride like a tractor. We should be able to use my Octavia and this new car interchangeably for our short and long drives alike. The problem driving a German for so long is that almost nothing else feel satisfactory.

All my friends either have Polos or Ventos. I had a 2011 Vento 1.6 TDI before getting the Octavia in 2019. I'm highlighting this to say that I don't want to buy any of them. While I decided to feed a German white elephant anyway, I thought of stepping into the German-big-threes. My hunt started with the Mercedes W123 and W124. Test drove a not-so-well-maintained W124, and decided to not go for such an old car for practical reasons (Read 'reliable'). I then stumbled upon some BMW 320D's (Corporate editions), and I am fixated on it now.

There are 3 shortlisted ones now.
  1. 2010/102000kms/3rd owner/White/7 lacs (The guy said this was the last generation with hydraulic steering. Is this right?)
  2. 2011/115000kms/3rd owner/Blue/8.25 lacs
  3. 2011/85000kms/3rd owner/White/9.25 lacs

It'd be great if some of the experienced folks here can help me answer a few questions:
  1. Is it a good car to buy in terms of reliability?
  2. Is it sensible to buy such an old car considering the scrappage policy in place?
  3. What is the rough annual maintenance cost that I am looking at?
  4. What are the parts that are infamously known to fail?
  5. If I'm to move forward with it, which amongst the 3 options above might you suggest, considering all three are well kept, accident-free, etc. (I will definitely get a mechanic to check this out for me)?

Hoping to get some informative replies to this.
anaghp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
All my friends either have Polos or Ventos. I had a 2011 Vento 1.6 TDI before getting the Octavia in 2019. I'm highlighting this to say that I don't want to buy any of them. While I decided to feed a German white elephant anyway, I thought of stepping into the German-big-threes. My hunt started with the Mercedes W123 and W124. Test drove a not-so-well-maintained W124, and decided to not go for such an old car for practical reasons (Read 'reliable'). I then stumbled upon some BMW 320D's (Corporate editions), and I am fixated on it now.

There are 3 shortlisted ones now.
  1. 2010/102000kms/3rd owner/White/7 lacs (The guy said this was the last generation with hydraulic steering. Is this right?)
  2. 2011/115000kms/3rd owner/Blue/8.25 lacs
  3. 2011/85000kms/3rd owner/White/9.25 lacs

It'd be great if some of the experienced folks here can help me answer a few questions:
  1. Is it a good car to buy in terms of reliability?
  2. Is it sensible to buy such an old car considering the scrappage policy in place?
  3. What is the rough annual maintenance cost that I am looking at?
  4. What are the parts that are infamously known to fail?
  5. If I'm to move forward with it, which amongst the 3 options above might you suggest, considering all three are well kept, accident-free, etc. (I will definitely get a mechanic to check this out for me)?

Hoping to get some informative replies to this.
I have a W124 and I agree with you of it not being a suitable daily.
I picked up a E90 320D Msport in February 2021 and let me help you out.
My Answers in Bold.

[*]Is it a good car to buy in terms of reliability?

I bought mine from the first owner with 37,500kms with records, I have done 6000 kms in last one year, and apart from Service she hasnt asked for attention. Last of the E90's were fairly reliable

[*]Is it sensible to buy such an old car considering the scrappage policy in place?

Region dependent, as of now this rule only applies to NCR

[*]What is the rough annual maintenance cost that I am looking at?

15K for usual service, as for unexpected repairs, cannot say

[*]What are the parts that are infamously known to fail?

Nothing specific, but I would verify the complete history of the car. Oil changes on time are very critical

[*]If I'm to move forward with it, which amongst the 3 options above might you suggest, considering all three are well kept, accident-free, etc. (I will definitely get a mechanic to check this out for me)?

None to be honest, I would look for a first or a second owner car at the max.If you still want to pursue,have a look at the third one get it inspected and negotiate it to 8-8.5L. And LCI E90's do not have HPS, they have a well weighted EPS.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 11:54   #96

Hi everyone,
I am planning to buy a used 2014 BMW 320d sport-line. The car has done around 37000 kms and is currently in 1st ownership. I have the service history and i need your help in going through it as i am not very well versed with BMW service sheets. Please drop your mail ids in private messages, so i can share the service sheet. Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 10th August 2022, 14:07   #97
BHPian

Eyeing a pre-owned Beemer 3 Series

Dear Gurus,

Starting a new thread as could not find an exact match on this subject. Would like to keep it short, the quick background:

- presently driving a Creta E+ 1.6 from 2019 and have had a hassle-free 22k km in varied conditions. While this car is extremely trouble-free and will bring a smile to most owners' faces, I'm thinking of switching to something more exciting.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_20220506_174220.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_20211111_151413.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-img_20211111_150923.jpg

Here comes the thought process, of acquiring a used BMW 3 series, from BMW Premium, the official used car division. I have seen a red BMW, 2015 model, 30K run and in good condition. Polishing and refurbishment will further be done on this to bring it to an even better shape.

The company will offer a 2-year and 40K warranty and I'm thinking of buying their BSI+ package, amounting to 1.5L.

Now my question is;
1. What is the risk factor for a used luxury car? Will the 2-year warranty bring some peace of mind?
2. Is BSI+ recommended or anybody can help with a reputed service center in Kolkata that does a dependable job?

Name:  IMG20220808WA0011.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  54.6 KB

Name:  IMG20220808WA0009.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  IMG20220808WA0005.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  IMG20220808WA0012.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  IMG20220808WA0003.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  IMG20220808WA0006.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  38.3 KB

The asking price, including the BSI+ and warranty, is 19 lakhs. I'm looking forward to an expert opinion please.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th August 2022 at 18:15. Reason: Formatting; typos and other errors
bhatmaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:14   #98
BHPian

Re: Eying for buying a pre owned Beemer 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Here comes the thought process, of acquiring a used BMW 3 series, from BMW Premium, the official used car division. I have seen a red BMW, 2015 model, 30K run and in good condition. Polishing and refurbishment will further be done on this to bring it to an even better shape.

The company will offer a 2-year and 40K warranty and I'm thinking of buying their BSI+ package, amounting to 1.5L.

Now my question is;
1. What is the risk factor for a used luxury car? Will the 2-year warranty bring some peace of mind?
2. Is BSI+ recommended or anybody can help with a reputed service center in Kolkata that does a dependable job?

The asking price, including the BSI+ and warranty, is 19 lakhs. I'm looking forward to an expert opinion please.
Take the warranty. Considering Kolkata road conditions & the mileage of the car, the following things might require change in the next 1 year - Engine Mounts (under warranty), Shocks, Tyres, Brake pads. Go for BSI+, there is no reputed service center for Germans in Kolkata. Rs. 19 lacs looks just a tad high considering Rs. 1.5 lacs for BSI+ & 2 lacs for 2 years BRI. Try bargaining a bit more.

Cheers,
Pawan

Last edited by Aditya : 10th August 2022 at 18:19. Reason: Quoted post edited
PapaBravo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 19:21   #99
BHPian

Thanks PapaBravo!
Well, then I am assuming that BSI+ is a must to go for, so as the warranty. But tires wont come under warranty and they said switching to tubeless will void it, is it true?

The price of 19L is consisting of everything, icluding the name transfer charge. Anyway trying to bring it down futher ��
Is there any other risk factor to be considered or I am reasonably safe for next couple of years?
Old 11th August 2022, 11:37   #100
BHPian

A 7 year German is certainly past its prime. Follow the PPI checklist given here in TeamBHP and have a comprehensive inspection/service done before you take delivery. I would say 15L + 1.5L warranty is the sweet spot. Most 320ds and 530ds have been reliable with very less major failures, but certainly go for the warranty. I believe this is a 320d, correct?
Old 11th August 2022, 14:44   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
A 7 year German is certainly past its prime. Follow the PPI checklist given here in TeamBHP and have a comprehensive inspection/service done before you take delivery. I would say 15L + 1.5L warranty is the sweet spot. Most 320ds and 530ds have been reliable with very less major failures, but certainly go for the warranty. I believe this is a 320d, correct?
Yes, it is a 320D sport line variant.
This is being inspected at BMW's own workshop and they promised to give the report back as well. I hope they are trustworthy.

15L as base price + warranty + BSI+ which will come close to 18L in total, which is being targeted by me indeed, albeit their asking price inclusive all is 19L.

Cheers
- Soumya
Old 11th August 2022, 20:20   #102

I'd go for the LCI.
LCI will get you better reliability+reasale value in the long run.
2ya, when I was in your shoes trying to geta good deal on the newest 320d (bs4) albeit a demo car, the folks at oslprestige (one Mr. Sadhukhan) almost fooled me with offers of corporate discount and stuff. I'd suggest you to take second opinions from a fellow carguy and be particular about the RC and buyback options if any.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)-screenshot_202208112016252.png  

Shuvam Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 20:46   #103
BHPian

Thanks Shuvam.
Yes, that Mr Sadhukhan only handling my case too and the discussion is still in progress.
RC transfer is a one of the concern area for me as well which they assured to be a hassle free afair, lets see.

Buyback scheme is not available in case of a used car, enquired and confirmed. However, will negotiate hard to obtain the best price possible.

Again asking the same question probably, do we have a dependable aftermarket service centre in Kolkata who does a decent job?
Old 11th August 2022, 23:17   #104

AV designo @taratala is one reputed garage I've heard about.
Personally, I'd stick to the ASS, as it keeps my BRI and service history intact and also my understanding about servicing needs doesn't let me get ripped. Also, Mr.Bimal (my service advisor) does a decent job keeping the bills reasonable.

I have learnt my lesson the hard way so won't be trusting any FNG as of now. You can thank me later
Old 17th August 2022, 01:35   #105
BHPian

One more update. The Red sportline variant of the 3 series which had shared earlier, went out of warranty cap i. e. 6 years. That does mean, I wont be able to opt for their 2 years warranty package, even with a payment.
However, the price I have given them is 16Lac, without warranty and BSI . Tax is there till 2025 and car in decent condition or a little more indeed.
If they agree to this price, my question would be :
1. Is it still worth at 16L?
2. Is it too risky to go for a german without any warranty whatsoever? I am open to take a tiny amount of risk, may be worth of 1 -1.5 Lac. ( On top of regular service costs)

Request your thoughts please.

Cheers
- Soumya

Last edited by bhatmaster : 17th August 2022 at 01:38. Reason: Spelling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks