Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 10:54   #136
BANNED

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Let's imagine that all ABS brake valve is in OFF state. What will happen? First, no braking operation. Second, the brake pedal would become hard as brake fluid pressure is not released.

Hence IMO, it is ABS malfunction. Engine vacuum has no roll in this catastrophic brake failure.
For an experiment sake, BHPian interc00led and I took my Creta to a road with 'NO traffic' and then removed the ABS-related fuse (40A) from the fuse box in the engine compartment. Drove the car at various speeds like 10kmph, 30 kmph, 50kmph and tested the braking performance at each of these speeds. The car did manage to stop but experienced wheel locking on gravel road since ABS was not functioning but on smooth tarmac, it was stopping normally with no pedal feel. Also no hard pedal feel issue was experienced during the tests at all.

I still have a hunch that is it the Brake booster that is to be blamed here. Mando is the manufacturer of the part of the ABS unit.

Last edited by a4anurag : 20th October 2020 at 10:58.
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:08   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Also no hard pedal feel issue was experienced during the tests at all.

With the fuse removed all you have done is disabled the ABS. The brake booster is still working normal. So the car would feel completely normal and brake completely normal. Only the ABS would not kick in when braking hard.

Put the fuse back and disconnect the vacuum line to the booster. Try again. I suspect the brake will feel very hard, but if pressed hard enough, everything will still work, including ABS.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:19   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Put the fuse back and disconnect the vacuum line to the booster. Try again. I suspect the brake will feel very hard, but if pressed hard enough, everything will still work, including ABS.
Shall try this too and see how the braking is and 'pedal feel' too without vacuum.

I had disabled the ABS since I wanted to be sure that it was not the ABS system that was causing the 'hard pedal feel'.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:20   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
A couple of decades back, Tata Motors (during their Indica/Indigo days) left such a scar with their product and service reliability that even today in our official reviews we still never fail to mention

Sometimes, I think, on an otherwise unbiased forum, we may be showing signs of unconscious bias.
Slightly off topic, Tigor that I had bought 2 years ago still had plenty of niggles and horrendous A.S.S experience. You can even check Harrier thread with issues reported even by version 2.0 owners. Yes Hyundai/Kia needs to take this issues seriously, but this doesn't mean our Desi companies are innocent.
giri1.8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:35   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Slightly off topic, Tigor that I had bought 2 years ago still had plenty of niggles and horrendous A.S.S experience. You can even check Harrier thread with issues reported even by version 2.0 owners. Yes Hyundai/Kia needs to take this issues seriously, but this doesn't mean our Desi companies are innocent.
Yes, issues will be there in any car. And every manufacturer/dealer/service will have their shortcomings. But could these issues and shortcomings give you a heart-attack or in worst case kill you, despite you taking good care of it and driving sanely.

I had pretty much decided Seltos to be my next car, to get in the next year or 2. But now, I have to sadly look at something else till there is a concrete solution to this issue.
ridehard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:05   #141
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
I don't think this is a problem of brake-booster. Let's assume that brake-booster i.e. vacuum fail completely, still brake should apply by pressing them hard. But, all the reports points brake being completely inoperative and they had to used hand brake to bring car to halt.
Let's imagine that all ABS brake valve are in OFF state. What will happen? First, no braking operation. Second, brake pedal would becomes become hard as brake fluid pressure is not released.
Although it is obvious for one to wonder if the driver actually did not press hard "enough" and it was just the hardening of brake rather than a complete brake-failure, but IMHO during such conditions where the driver wants to brake in order to avoid hitting another vehicle in the front(or even a bad-patch of road), the instinct of the driver WILL be to press harder as his vehicle comes closer to the object(that he is trying to avoid hitting), and so it will be human instinct to press the brakes as hard as possible. In so many situations I have had to brake very hard to avoid hitting 2-wheelers(parked 2W trying come on to the main road) or even pedestrians/kids(playing on a street that sneak up on you when you least expect) and ended up braking so hard that my car almost skidded for a meter or so. So I find it very hard(pun intended ) to believe that a driver would not brake hard enough under such emergency situations just because he/she is not used to such level of sensitivity of brakes.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:34   #142
anb
BHPian

Found this on Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-122076254_1858850694268805_8898026817983993057_o.jpg  

anb is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:42   #143
BHPian

So ultimate proof that Creta is Seltos. Sad to hear
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 12:43   #144
BHPian

As a Seltos owner it now makes sense what seems to be the issue. It's definently a manufacturing fault in the first lot. When my vehicle had drowned during the Amphan cyclone. The car was in the workshop for over a month and while I was supposed to recieve the car in a coming few days- I got a call came from the service station stating that the break vaccum has been spoilt after several test run observations and requires a replacement to which we said yes.
Definently the mechanics must have encountered the same issue while testing my car after fixing it and noticed the failure. Hense forth they replaced that part from my car to avoid any major chaos. No wonder my vehicle took around 2 months to return back home.
momsonlydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:07   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
I understand that everyone has to make a living and some companies "incentivize" more than others, but these vloggers influence common folks who then go to a Honda showroom, see that one flexing piece of plastic on the side panel of a WRV, or that they can't do 0-100 in 2 seconds on CVT, and think that the WRV sucks, while completely ignoring the reliable power train and other critical components.
Don't we also do the same while reviewing a TATA car ? A standard statement in CONS

" - After sales service a hit or miss "

Where as this happens with almost every manufacturer now a days.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th October 2020 at 15:17.
jungleroars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:22   #146
BHPian

I had lend my a new Kia Seltos from my family friend for the last two days and braking was the first thing I noticed to be bad. I did have a couple of heart in the mouth moments where I pushed my pedal to metal but the car wasn't stopping at all. I did inform the owner about this and asked him to get it fixed asap.
Old 20th October 2020, 13:28   #147
BANNED

Got a few images of the ABS Unit from owners of Kia Seltos and Hyundai Creta 2020.

My 2017 Creta 1.6L CRDI SX(O) MT - Mando (58920-A0980)
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-img20201019wa0018.jpg

Prashant Awadhiya - 2020 Creta SX Petrol MT (Part No. Not visible)
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-img20201019wa0023.jpg

RavenAvi's - 2020 Creta SX IVT (58900-BV900)
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-20201020_122416.jpg

Bibendum's Seltos - HTX+ Diesel AT (58900-Q6500)
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-img20201019wa0005.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:44   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Please go through this test track study.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...t4finalrpt.pdf
ABS can increase distance in some cases like gravel and ice but in these conditions it provides greater control of the steering keeping the car on line. However, when ABS is used on surfaces like normal macadam roads or concrete roads ABS will reduce distance as the wheels will not lock or skidding. Skidding increases distance of stopping on such roads besides one losing control of the car.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 13:45   #149
BHPian

Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-img_20201020_133555.jpg

SELTOS 1.4 GTX Manual

vinya_jag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:09   #150
BHPian

I don't know if something similar has been posted before but this is what a user in the Seltos Owner's group on facebook posted.

Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-screenshot-20201020-14.07.03.png

Hope this helps resolve the issue and concerns raised on the thread to some extent.

Last edited by sv97 : 20th October 2020 at 14:13.
sv97 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks