Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 21:02   #166
BHPian

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

I only have 1 suggestion, In every Hyundai car review we read about their good service, the mods here also must point of these build quality issues with Hyundai as there are many threads going into this. A person who is just buying a Hyundai based on the Team-Bhp review must also know about these issues.
Ranabegins is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 21:24   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I don't know if something similar has been posted before but this is what a user in the Seltos Owner's group on facebook posted.

Attachment 2070074

Hope this helps resolve the issue and concerns raised on the thread to some extent.
Thanks for this information but I don't understand why customer do this jugglery after paying premium price for the car?

Braking function of a car is top most priority of safety. Brake must operate normally in all foreseen conditions.

Last edited by navin : 21st October 2020 at 13:04. Reason: typo
IP_Man is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 22:42   #168

I'm also puzzled to see so many enthusiasts discussing on how to apply brake. I own a Tata Hexa and I will be stepping on the brake whenever I would like to stop/slowdown.

Obviously we have an eye for what's coming ahead and control our vehicle with anticipation, but how am I supposed to look at rpm, gear and speed when somebody/vehicle crosses my way without any hint. Looking at all the messages how people brake, I am thinking car driving is more complicated than what I thought. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st October 2020 at 07:14. Reason: break > brake.
powerdrive is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 08:01   #169
BHPian

Thank god, I recommended my friend who was looking out for a car to stay with Honda WRV as it was tried and tested and this brand needs to be given sometime although it's a close kin of Hyundai.

For the matter, I never believed at Hyundai as a brand altogether, after seeing Hyundai Construction Equipments prematurely breaking down at my project site for whatever reason. Never bought a Hyundai or recommended it, actually have stopped close friends and family buying Hyundai, diverted them to Honda, Toyota and Maruti Suzuki, just my personal opinion. But every time I read TeamBhp review of new Hyundai cars, I wonder what could go wrong on such well designed products. However after spending hours reading CrAzY dRiVeR's post "Default Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!" which was a compilation of various issues of the brand; I reassured my opinion.

I feel sorry for the people who encountered these issues (or own that brand), I don't know how they would be able to drive that car with confidence, that gut feeling one might get in mind while driving! Hope the manufacturer does something immediately.
architect_santo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 10:53   #170
BHPian

I am just thinking out loud, most Hyundai car brochures mention only ABS with EBD as standard but I have seen that other manufacturers offer ABS+EBD+BA (Brake Assist) as standard. Is the absence of Brake Assist is what is causing this?
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:39   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps_o View Post

Story time:

This wasn't bad enough, SA starts blasting me, saying I am careless and an idiot for not knowning how to drive. I tried to explain him humbly what i felt with the brakes and how I had managed to come out of this situation. I was soaked with sweat all over hands and forehead.
For them they were clear their products go through test and are better than INDIAN manufacturers, they are not like our regular TATA and Mahindra (where did TATA and mahindra came to conversation I will never know). Made me believe it was indeed ME who did everything wrong.

They were not ready to listen to my explanation/feedback. I requested the experience is as traumautising to me as it is for them and would appreciate some compassion to be shown.
I had shrugged it off thinking it was indeed me who was in the wrong. I had been taking stress and overthinking how close we came to an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Found this on Facebook
This isn't done Kia. The seriousness of the whole issue is still not being taken up by the management teams of such a big manufacturers. This is no small rattling/ power loss/ air conditioner problem. This is a goddamn blunder for a vehicle to not be able to stop when brakes are applied.

And then you explain it saying that the ways we brake is not correct. Before braking you need to look at the rpm and speedometer for God's sake just to stop a vehicle. Brakes in a vehicle are meant to stop it whatsoever be the condition whether it is a pottholed road or a metalled highway. Ofcourse there are other things that can be improved while braking but that doesn't mean it won't just work out.

Imagine the person who is out for a TD vehicle(as quoted above), or someone who have started driving some times back and getting to experience this situation. It's horrendous. They will really be traumatized by the whole experience and then, when such issues are very rare to crop up and being able to convey to the service advisors, it's nothing short of a tragedy.

It makes my blood boil that there is literally no response from a manufacturer this big and people still out there on streets. Heck even big auto mags who consider themselves to be experts are silent whether it be this issue or regarding saftey ratings of the Hyundai Kia cousins. Imagine what would have happened had this problem be faced by Tata/Mahindra customers. There would have been an All India Boycott programme till the authorities kick in. We must raise our voice against such issues to a bigger level until there is a proper solution, and we here at Team-BHP are very well capable of doing that.
chiefpk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:51   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I am just thinking out loud, most Hyundai car brochures mention only ABS with EBD as standard but I have seen that other manufacturers offer ABS+EBD+BA (Brake Assist) as standard. Is the absence of Brake Assist is what is causing this?
When I purchased the Polo, I was told that it had only ABS (no EBD). Never faced any braking issues whatsoever.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 12:11   #173
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off topic question: Is this brake issue isolated to the Seltos only? Is there any likelihood, however small, of the same brake issues percolating to the Sonet because of parts/ OEM manufacturer sharing for different models from Kia?
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 12:24   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
When I purchased the Polo, I was told that it had only ABS (no EBD). Never faced any braking issues whatsoever.

I drove the first generation Verna XXI (top end petrol) for almost a decade. It only ran 48,000 kms, but went through everything a car can go through, including some mild off roading!. The ONLY safety feature available in it was seat belt!. ABS was optional for Rs 30,000 more.

It was a hoot of a car, a blast on highways and easy in the city. I just drove it normally and it braked whenever I wanted it, beautifully. The last thing a driver needs to be thinking is all those 'ifs, buts, hows' of a car's braking when two eyes and one brain are not enough for our roads.

Now when I see the number of safety features on cars, I am .
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 12:44   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I am just thinking out loud, most Hyundai car brochures mention only ABS with EBD as standard but I have seen that other manufacturers offer ABS+EBD+BA (Brake Assist) as standard.

I don't think Nios/Aura have BA. I checked this particularly in every car I took a TD. The sales guy did not even know what it was! Came across two youtube reviews which specifically mention that Hyundai has removed EBD in the BS6 I20(Elite) version. This is difficult to check in a short TD, but the brochure does mention EBD (but not BA). Actually, I noticed most manufacturers do not mention BA in their brochures or websites, even though the cars do have them. Among the one's I took a TD, Wagon R, Ignis, Swift, Dzire, Baleno and Freestyle all have them, though the brochure doesn't say it. Curiously, every Maruti sales guy I have come across specifically talked about BA when explaining safety features, while I had to give the Ford guy a demo of what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Most likely wrong. Perhaps the sales guy had just mugged up what's there and not there in the brochure.
Old 21st October 2020, 13:42   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post

Most likely wrong. Perhaps the sales guy had just mugged up what's there and not there in the brochure.
The limited point is, electromechanical aids are like the flight envelope protection in airplanes (some of them). They will come into play only under certain conditions.
Normally one never ventures to find out whether during a braking action, that ABS+EBD+Brake Assist has kicked in or not ,as long as the outcome is safe.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:24   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I never knew a Seltos owner needs to know so much to just brake!
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdrive View Post
I'm also puzzled to see so many enthusiasts discussing on how to apply brake.

I am thinking car driving is more complicated than what I thought.
Very soon, potential & current owners of Hyundai/Kia products will need to undergo the automobile equivalent of an aircraft Type Rating to learn the various techniques, nuances & failure modes (brakes, steering, engine, transmission, etc) to safely operate their products. The Hyundai group should develop a full motion driving simulator so that they can demonstrate to us, mere mortals, how one needs to go about controlling their state of the art vehicles, during emergencies such as brakes malfunctioning, steering freewheeling, transmissions overheating, engines ejecting critical parts, etc.

They should create a complete syllabus (classroom + CBT + theory exam + full motion simulator) covering all their unique scenarios so that owners can learn how to drive their vehicles safely. Only Hyundai/Kia type rated individuals should be allowed to sit behind the wheel & operate the vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
But this is hog on multiple counts
Irrespective of what you, me & other technically well versed individuals think, the word from Hyundai/Kia ASC is gospel and as such, this entire matter is resolved/case-closed.

There’s nothing to worry about, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
This is a goddamn blunder for a vehicle to not be able to stop when brakes are applied.

It makes my blood boil that there is literally no response from a manufacturer this big and people still out there on streets. Heck even big auto mags who consider themselves to be experts are silent whether it be this issue or regarding saftey ratings of the Hyundai Kia cousins. We must raise our voice against such issues to a bigger level until there is a proper solution, and we here at Team-BHP are very well capable of doing that.
We may be fully capable of doing that, but the critical question that needs to be asked is, how many members actually want to? How many actually care?

If this thread had a poll whether this matter should be escalated far up the chain of command, you’ll be surprised how many would actually care.

Despite owners themselves chiming in with their hair-raising experiences, look at the tone of some of the posts on this forum itself, its business as usual. Apparently, the ones who care for the safety of ALL road users/reporting these issues, are making a big deal about this issue.

The only media houses which have picked up this issue are - https://trak.in/tags/business/2020/1...JAzilzbrwra0zY and https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comme..._beware_there/

The rest are silent/silenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Is there any likelihood, however small, of the same brake issues percolating to the Sonet because of parts/ OEM manufacturer sharing for different models from Kia?
You have asked a rhetorical question, to which you already know the answer.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

So Seltos inherits the known issue from the Creta!

On seeing the Creta Brake Failure thread I had predicted the possibility of this issue being present on the Seltos late last year (Link (Hyundai Creta: Serious brake failure issue (must-read for all owners))).
Seems to have come true now

Now I only wonder if this issue is present on the Venue and Sonet as well given that they share the same K2 Platform...
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 19:57   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdrive View Post
Obviously we have an eye for what's coming ahead and control our vehicle with anticipation, but how am I supposed to look at rpm, gear and speed when somebody/vehicle crosses my way without any hint. Looking at all the messages how people brake, I am thinking car driving is more complicated than what I thought. Am I missing something?
Correct!, Precaution mentioned can only be taken in anticipated braking. But, what about emergency (or panic) braking? Emergency braking is almost involuntary action of the right foot. No time to think or do something in orderly manner
IP_Man is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:06   #180
Sen
BHPian

I've seen the discussion on this at length since the issue was first reported, wanted to chime in to say that brakes failing in whatever gear, whatever circumstance, whatever conditions, especially on a top seller like the Seltos and potentially Sonet/Venue/Creta is unacceptable.

Manufacturer recall (for quick retrofit, let them get the issue figured out ASAP first) should happen, and it's a godsend that there have been no fatalities yet.

This should not be silenced in any case, and Hyundai leadership needs to quickly decide on a course of action and effect changes immediately. This is not done.
Sen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed