Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 09:15   #46
BANNED

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBrijesh View Post
Can we say that all these cars which have faced issue of Hard Brake Pedal are having Petrol Engine with Automatic Transmission?

Because as far as i could remember, in Creta also Manual Transmission was not plagued by these brake failures.
Manual transmission + Diesel engine also have the issue of Hard Pedal. It is very well documented in the Hyundai India - Issues and Quality Lapses and specifically in the thread by BHPian naveen.raju.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 09:37   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well said. Tata's get the brakes right. Few things here n there may not work as intended but the brakes on any Tata car is solid. This issue in Hyundai/Kia cars seem to be India specific, because on overseas forums one hardly hears such complaints. These companies need to investigate the matter thoroughly
Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Watch most vloggers ignore Nexon while praise Venue for safety in the same comparison video!
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:09   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is a similar issue I faced in the Ritz Zxi and I believe some Swift owners faced similar issues as well. It was pretty unnerving.

The reason for the same was the revvs going too low and not enough vacuum being created. If you revv the engine, by pressing the clutch, it used to be alright immediately. The issue was sorted by a simple software fix.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2020 at 11:06. Reason: Please use full words ('you', not 'u'). Thanks.
Altocumulus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:14   #49

Argh... This is frustrating for me honestly. No choice but to postpone the purchase until at least we hear something from Kia on this. I have been postponing my car purchase from Feb due to COVID and now this comes along. My parents are furious with me that I'm intentionally postponing the purchase since I don't want them to go out. It sucks that there is not much competition in the segment other than Creta and Seltos (Parents hate the harrier unfortunately). But since safety is all I care about, I'll postpone the purchase for now and ask my SA about this as well.

On a side note, the worst part here is, even if a collision occurs due to this issue, no one will ever agree that it was a brake failure and simply blame the driver for the crash. Simply because there is no proof. In my field of work, it's kind of like a production bug that cannot be replicated in UAT.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2020 at 11:04. Reason: Typo
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 11:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
Argh... This is frustrating for me honestly. No choice but to postpone the purchase until at least we hear something from Kia on this. I have been postponing my car purchase from Feb due to COVID and now this comes along. My parents are furious with me that I'm intentionally postponing the purchase since I don't want them to go out. It sucks that there is not much competition in the segment other than Creta and Seltos (Parents hate the harrier unfortunately). But since safety is all I care about, I'll postpone the purchase for now and ask my SA about this as well.
Since you are a potential Kia customer and also plan to ask your SA about this, please do update us on their response.

I am sure if you quote this thread and inform him that I am postponing my decision for now, he will be . No doubt he will say we have sold thousands and thousands and these one-offs should not swing your purchase decisions. You can take multiple test drives, talk to our service engineers, slam the brakes from high speeds as you wish!. I can assure you, you will not face any issues with your car. These are world class products .
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 12:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
...I'll postpone the purchase for now and ask my SA about this as well.
I had in fact shared the link to this thread to an SA in the nearby KIA dealership. He said, that he has feedback regarding slightly stiffer suspension compared to Creta. But he has never heard of any breaking issue with the Seltos.
I expected nothing less from him.

Quote:
In my field of work, it's kind of like a production bug that cannot be replicated in UAT.
I would say it's a showstopper, not just a bug.
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 13:42   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Since you are a potential Kia customer and also plan to ask your SA about this, please do update us on their response.
Just had a word with him about this. Sent him a link to the thread as well. He’s saying that he has not heard any issue regarding the brakes at the dealership so far. In fact, he’s saying that everyone with the higher end variants is praising the all disk brakes for their excellent stopping ability. He also added that a hard brake could be due to a failing brake booster but they’ll ensure to check all of these before handling the car to the customer. When I mentioned that the problem is alleviated upon pressing the clutch, he told me that even if I had a concern, It should not be a problem for me since I’ve opted for the DCT.

It’s becoming extremely hard to convince my parents as well since they were very excited (delivery was supposed to be in a week). I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 15:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Just had a word with him about this. Sent him a link to the thread as well. He’s saying that he has not heard any issue regarding the brakes at the dealership so far. In fact, he’s saying that everyone with the higher end variants is praising the all disk brakes for their excellent stopping ability. He also added that a hard brake could be due to a failing brake booster but they’ll ensure to check all of these before handling the car to the customer.
It’s becoming extremely hard to convince my parents as well since they were very excited (delivery was supposed to be in a week). I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place here.
Ignore the nonsense from the SA and get them to admit and resolve the issue or announce a recall. Brakes becoming hard is no small issue, it can be life threatening and it is amazing to see how much support this brand has even when they give faulty brakes on a sub-4 m car that costs over 15 lakhs for a mid variant. Had this been a Mahindra or a Tata, people would pick out a small panel gap or an exposed wire and written obituaries about the product.

What Kia and Hyundai are doing is a crime and most owners outside this forum won't call it such because it would affect the resale value, but since you may still have the option to at least delay the delivery till the issue is sorted, see if that is a possibility.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 18th October 2020 at 15:14.
Cessna182 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 16:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Drive at 60kmph, then you spot an imperfect patch of tarmac, you decide to brake, you depress the brake pedal, but the damn car won’t stop. The brake pedal starts vibrating, it becomes rock solid (it’s like the pedal is just stuck) i.e. wood like feeling, almost gives you a heart attack, then you instantly lift your feet and hit the brake pedal again and then it finally slows down. Finally, you tell this issue to family, friends and the service centre and not one person believes you because it can’t be reproduced. It’s just random.

Cheers!
This is exactly to the letter how my Seltos behaves . On any bad roads when the brake is pressed its ABS activates and makes the pedal rock hard "Random" to which I reacted by pressing harder.

Have almost hit a car and a bike due to this dam bug. KIA hope that you do something about this mess.
Brishti is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:21   #55
BHPian

I know many people, quite a lot in my family who are trustworthy customers of Hyundai and have full faith in them. Even if I prove them the number of people facing this issue, they won't believe my sayings, no matter what. My closest friend owns a MT Seltos Diesel. If I tell him about these issues, he will beat me to death.

My elder cousin owns a 2014 i20 and I don't remember how many times I have tried to convince him that the safety aspect of a Hyundai/Kia is questionable but to no avail. They think that I am overexaggerating things. But I don't know why there is just zero response from a manufacturer this big for tackling a problem this serious. Cars out there on roads with a potential of a brake failure at any point is just exceptionally dangerous. And guess what, even big auto magazines and experts just don't even pay heed to it just like it doesn't even exist. I am literally damned by this. People are innocent. They don't even know about such existing problems and then think of Hyundai as safe when there's always a threat to a brake failure lurking around. I wonder whosoever, even on the forum, knowing about this and owning a Hyundai/Kia can drive peacefully?.
chiefpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Wasn't a similar issue reported on the Creta? Since they share similar underpinnings, is this the same issue? Why is no common media outlet reporting this? And why is ARAI complacent with performing very unrealistic and idealised fuel efficiency tests instead of testing these aspects?
Yes the same issue was reported on the Creta but there have been some reports of hyundai changing the vendors they buy the brakes from and claim to have sorted this issue and this was also mentioned in bhpian RavenAvis creta ownership thread
aansh singhania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:03   #57
Senior - BHPian

Its apparently a software issue. Somebody on a facebook Seltos group managed to escalate this to the top brass who allegedly sent a team of engineers to test the car with the owner who managed to repeat it with the engineers in his car. He summed up the whole thing by saying the issue happens when you pump the brakes. The engineers apparently demonstrated to him that the issue does not arise if you don't pump the brakes but apply gradual force instead. I'll post a screenshot of this post if I can find it again. I'm part of too many automobile groups.
Nithesh_M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 20:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Now that makes it more complicated. So is that a software issue or due to the way the brake has been applied. After the software fix, will pumping be still a problem.

And that explanation is scary to hear that you need to apply the brake in a certain fashion in order to stop the car.
balenoed_ is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:13   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

If a car has ABS you should not pump the brakes, because it interferes with the pumping and releasing action of the ABS unit. Irrespective with or without ABS I don't understand why pumping would lead to no braking at all. You do use up all the vacuum of the booster, so it would feel as if the peddle hardens up. But you would have to pump a lot

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 21:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
. I'll post a screenshot of this post if I can find it again. I'm part of too many automobile groups.
Correction. This was 2020 Creta owner. As promised here is his post.
Attached Thumbnails
Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos-screenshot_20201002222525_chrome.jpg  

Nithesh_M is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks