Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2020, 21:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake failure issues in the Kia Seltos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Correction. This was 2020 Creta owner. As promised here is his post.
Just to be clear, the post is talking about pre 2020 Creta and that too clarifying that there isnt an issue even with those cars by design.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 23:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

^ Yes. Meant to type 2019 but habitually wrote 2020. Its what the engineers demonstrated to him(sic). Maybe anyone with the same issue can test this out.

A lot of Seltos/Creta owners feel the ABS is too sensitive to loss of traction over bad roads at low speeds. Who manufactures the ABS unit for them? Is it inhouse or sourced from a brand like Bosch?

What is common though is that most of these hard brake pedal incidents are reported by people nearly lugging the engine. Makes it hard to pinpoint if its hardware or software.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 01:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Its still a strange issue. The car should stop whether you press and release the brake pedal, or press it all the way through.

Also, this does not address the brake pedal going hard and losing booster assist issue, does it?
lawdgawd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 06:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is misleading information:

"there's no issue with the car but with the traditional way we've been used to apply brakes."

Even the highest performance cars whether AMG's or Porsche's or Audi RS's or M's still require you to apply brakes ONLY the "traditional way".

Hyundai isn't anywhere close to those levels and they're talking of non traditional ways of applying brakes????

If there was a change for Hyundai that should have been highlighted in the manual, instructions given to customers before delivery and warnings pasted all over the showroom instead of informing customers that their "traditional way of using brakes is wrong" after he reports a problem!!

The non traditional way of using brakes isn't a solution but a cover up by Hyundai of an inherent design flaw with the car so as to get away with major recalls.

Last edited by AMG Power : 19th October 2020 at 07:04.
AMG Power is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 07:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

"there's no issue with the car but with the traditional way we've been used to apply brakes."

Even the highest performance cars whether AMG's or Porsche's or Audi RS's or M's still require you to apply brakes ONLY the "traditional way".

Hyundai isn't anywhere close to those levels and they're talking of non traditional ways of applying brakes????
I think what the post means by traditional braking is where people apply and release rapidly (pumping) the brakes, whereas it should be ABS which actually performs the action.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 07:42   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

[/b]
I have driven motor vehicles ranging from a Jugaad in UP to a sports car in Europe and braking essentially works in the same way for every vehicle. You hit the brakes, the vehicle stops. First principles.

The company's explanation reminds me of the iPhone 4 antennagate issue and Apple's insistence that "you're holding the phone wrong!" while giving free covers as a "gesture".

Last edited by andafunda : 19th October 2020 at 07:44.
andafunda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 07:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai technicians comment on the traditional way of braking may convince a consumer who hasn't owned or never driven for long enough an ABS equipped car.

But-
Do other cars with ABS equipped behave like Creta/Seltos on hard braking?
Have people not owned ABS equipped cars prior to upgrading to Creta/Seltos to comment on poor braking?

P.S.: I owned a humble 2nd gen. Wagon-R (with ABS) in the past and it had spot on brake feel and stopping power.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 19th October 2020 at 08:00.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 08:29   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I think this batch of Seltos used the same ABS vendor as the first gen Creta. (The 2020 Creta now use a new vendor). For me, the ABS sensors (two) were faulty so the brakes failed (as per the HASS) but since the cars nowadays have so much electronics, should a warning pop-up when the ABS sensors have failed?

Anyhow, I have mentioned this many times. I tried contacting almost everyone at Hyundai and none responded. It's been one year now and they haven't replied to my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I cannot but help notice that in both incidents mentioned by @Bibendum90949, the cars were in their highest gear while the speed is only 50Kmph. I am not sure if its AT or MT. Now a days with all sensor driven ECU controls , maybe the low speed , high gear may have triggered an unusual response?.

In that case its a software bug fix that would solve the problem.
In my case, I was in second gear driving at approx 10 kmph. So it definitely wasn't a software glitch. After changing the sensors, I was in a situation where I had to panic brake and the brakes worked fine (video here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4855843 (Hyundai India - The occasional serious quality lapse and apathetic manufacturer response!)).
naveen.raju is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 08:38   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I think this batch of Seltos used the same ABS vendor as the first gen Creta. (The 2020 Creta now use a new vendor).
Does anyone know who the previous ABS vendor was? And who the new ABS vendor is? Is there some way to confirm that the vendor has actually changed, perhaps from the parts catalogue or by physically examining the parts.

I am in the market for a CSUV , and if the Korean twins are ruled out - that leaves me with only S Cross as an option.

I would go with the S Cross, but want to consider the new Creta if they have indeed fixed the braking issue.
PYSO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me, the ABS sensors (two) were faulty so the brakes failed
Failure of ABS sensors will have no difference on regular braking / brake feel. The only difference is that the ABS will not kick in when required (situations where wheels lock up and the resultant pulsing action). Even if all 4 sensors fail there will be no reduction in braking, except that there will be no ABS effect.

Quote:
(as per the HASS)
Another of the many stories being spinned by Hyundai and their HASS on their customers.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Only this morning I was think of the best car for myself given the horrible roads. I was thinking that Creta does everything and the base model will be decent value for money.

And then I see this thread!
Old 19th October 2020, 10:07   #72
BHPian

I remember writing in the Creta thread about the multiple braking issues faced by my friend in his prized Creta. Note that the braking failures weren't a daily routine but popped up at the most unexpected moments (in sudden braking or horrible road condition scenarios mostly).

The horrors he went through trying to brake was clearly evident when he reaches office.
Imagine a confident, tall, 30-year old young man sweating nervously and taking an hour (along with frantic calls to his SA) to recover after reaching office. That's what these braking failures can do to you.
JojyKerala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
This response makes it even scary. Guess both Hyundai and Kia have no clue how to fix this and are coming up with some sort of explanation which seems like pure hogwash. I wish the concerned person who received this explanation asked them or shot a mail to the higher management asking if they would explain how the brain has to make all this decision in a split second or in microseconds on how not to pump the brake but only apply brake as per the modern Hyundai approach in an emergency situation or when panic braking.

Lets see if this gets escalated and Kia/Hyundai senior management rectify this. Sadly our public won't be too bothered about safety and security in a car when the car has gadgets and gizmos. Apparently, touchscreen interface and software support for phones takes priority over 6 airbags and all wheel disc brakes and better OEM tyres. We have always got shoddy treatment from car manufacturers because our public is not too focused when it comes to safety features or crash ratings of cars. I hope the day comes when common man has the knowledge about crash ratings and safety features and choses cars as per that and makes manufacturers focus more on these.
whencut86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:31   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Does anyone know who the previous ABS vendor was? And who the new ABS vendor is?
My October 2017 model Creta Diesel has the ABS unit from Mando. Haven't got a chance to check the new Creta deeply.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:34   #75
BHPian

From what i understand ( very little , i confess) it looks like the brake lock gets randomly applied. Its like the car is thinking that ignition is off and the brakes are automatically locked. It has , IMO, nothing to do with hydraulics or vacuum.

Such faults are very difficult to detect since the occurrence of the incident cannot be guaranteed during test drive by the ASC. So the customer takes the car to the HASC , the SA drives the car around with the customer , nothing happens ,the SA convinces the (confused) customer all is ok and the customer is on the road again. A few days / hours later ( depending on his/her star signs), the incident gets repeated. Highly frustrating for both company and customer.
srini1785 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed