Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 17:53   #1
BHPian

An ode to Volkswagen India

I am really pleased with Volkswagen India, and I wanted to share my experience with the Team-BHP community.

I bought two VW cars in 2014, a Polo 1.5 Highline and a Vento 1.5 Highline. These were my first VW cars, ever. Previously, we mostly drove Japanese and Indian cars. We were always a huge fan of the Honda City ZX that we bought in 2006. It was a superb, solid car, with great build quality. Later, we bought the new Honda City iVTEC in 2010 and it was the most disappointing car. Really cheap build, cheap interiors and cheap parts. We were on the hunt for new cars and picked up the VWs because we felt that they didn't cut as many corners as the new-age Hondas and Hyundais.

Ever since we've owned the two VWs, now almost 6 years old, with 1 lakh+ kilometers on the odo for both of them, our experience with Volkswagen has all over been really good. I have had 0 complaints, even though both of my cars have taken numerous trips to the workshop. The company's policy on how to deal with customers is great, and they always listen to you and reach out.

I have used three different VW workshops around Delhi, their centralised system makes it so easy to work with their cars. One email to VW Corporate and they immediately arrive to listen to your problems. If you're not satisfied, just drop a mail to VW Corporate and watch them take immediate action.

Almost all the mechanics and engineers at my most frequented VW workshop know me, and I'm always offered good discounts on parts, labour etc. On one occasion, when the Polo had to be repainted almost entirely, one mechanic said that he'll mark my car as "his own car" to avail additional discounts, because employees get benefits when they bring their own cars.

Also, through these 6 years, VW has been actively communicating with us. They've twice given us VW branded car care kits for both the cars. This is a pretty exhaustive kit that contains shampoo, wax, polish, windshield cleaner, tyre cleaner, interior cleaner, sponge, brush, sprays and the quality is top notch. Cost of one kit can easily be in the Rs. 4000-5000 range.

Since I own 2 VWs, the dealership has promised me a good deal on my next VW (most probably a T-Roc). As per company policy, they have to give loyal customers a discount. To test their claim, I sent a mail for VW corporate mentioning my two VW car numbers, and they quoted me a lower price than what the dealership gave me. It was no joke of a discount, it was pretty healthy.

This might sound like a paid promotion, but its not. I'm genuinely satisfied with the company and my next car will 90% be a VW. (Please please launch the VW Golf in India). I love the Toureg too, but it is way out of my budget, and I'm already rocking a Pajero Sports, a car that is, honestly, special and like no other, with a special place in my heart (along with my Orange Polo).

All this might sound normal, but it feels like a breath of fresh air because my previous experiences with Honda, Tata, Toyota etc. have been either downright terrible or substandard. Nowhere did I recieve the same level of attention and quality of service. Volkswagen is different and I can vouch for that.

Lastly, when it comes to the car themselves, I think both the VW Polo and Vento, the 2014 models, are great cars. The hatchbacks and sedans launching today feel meek in terms of build quality to the 2014 models. Both cars are a pleasure to drive, and I cant even count how many roadtrips both me and my dad each have taken on these cars, to the Himalayas, the deserts, to the plains in UP, anywhere, everywhere.

Last edited by nutcracker : 17th October 2020 at 17:55.
nutcracker is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 18:36   #2
BHPian

Re: An ode to Volkswagen India

The VW models are costly here. Especially compared to the competition based on the features on offer. However, I'm amazed to see a 10 years old car giving the competition a run for the money in terms of the heart of the matter (the engine), driving dynamics, and safety. No other hatchback in India can still match the Polo in terms of those. That's how good VW engineering is.

I admit I'm a fan of the Polo. I would not consider one today due to the lack of a rear bench. 10 years back, when I wasn't much worried about the rear bench, I would have bought one.

The negativity and bashing the brand regularly receives in India probably is justified. Still, it feels good to see users enjoying these timeless German beauties in a sea of Koreans and Japanese cars.
Thank you for sharing and wishing you many more happy miles! Hope more and more customers enjoy similar experience from the brand VW.
7000plusrpm is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 00:55   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Even I have had a good experience with VW, with them agreeing to bear half the cost of flywheel replacement of our 3 year old, 25k run Jetta, back in 2018. This was a result of mailing VW Corporate and keeping Mr. Knapp in copy. The workshop experience though, has been average here in Navi Mumbai.

I got to admit that I am a bit biased towards German cars and I am a torque head.

So as much I like to appreciate VW for their solid cars, I am always reminded of the vacuum which has been created due to the lack of a VW diesel option in the market. Come on VW, at least the 2.0 TDI ought to be back.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 01:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks for your experience. I have only read bad things about them. Could be ‘indian mentality’ at work where you want everything without spending a dime. Also we don’t value quality, generally speaking. Some of that could be genuine also.

I love Volkswagen design. Polo and Vento are remarkably beautiful. Classic, clean, minimalist. It doesn’t matter to me if the body is 10 years old, as long as my car is fresh from the assembly line. Recently they launched red-white polos and ventos, and they look hot !

How do you guys decide between Volkswagen and Skoda? Do you consider them one company and similar, or does one have an edge over other in 2020.
nandadevieast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 09:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

My Polo has entered its 11th year. It has run close to 1L Km now. Still not aged a bit and running smoothly like it was 11 years old. People who brag about longevity of Toyota cars are the ones who have not owned a VW.

Many cars have come and gone. But Polo remains evergreen. I could have easily gone for an upgrade, but no other car excites me.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:04   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
I am really pleased with Volkswagen India, and I wanted to share my experience with the Team-BHP community.
Always happy to read up positive experiences . My brother has had an awesome experience with his 8-year old Jetta, while my brother-in-law is a big fan of Skoda (Laura) & VW (Tiguan). No doubt their products, engines & technology are kickass. The group offers German engineering within an acceptable price band compared to the big 3 German marques.

It is also true that it's impossible to move to a Japanese car after owning a VW / Skoda & being spoilt by their build + driving experience.

Only thing is, while the VAG group has many satisfied customers, their % of unhappy customers is higher than others (due to reliability, dealers, part costs). Just as an example, if Toyota has say 5% unhappy owners, VW probably has 20% (just throwing out numbers but you get the point).

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2020 at 10:13.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:42   #7
BHPian

I recently purchased Skoda Rapid "Rider". While I need not comment about how the vehicle feels and drives, those have already been discussed at length. But my Skoda dealership experience has been just amazing. Very responsible sales executive, and Service Advisor. I have always got the necessary information in advance, and the overall sales experience has been pretty good.

I feel, almost 90% of the people who buy VAG cars are enthusiasts, and people who are well informed about the product. And such people have a very keen observation skill when it comes to their car.

1. Maruti / Hyundai have got their dealership network by almost 10 times of what VW/Skoda has. (just to give a scale, not particular about the figures)
2. The customer domain of Maruti / Hyundai is massive, as compared to VAG.
3. While the percentage of such enthusiasts, well-informed customers in case of VAG is very high.
4. Customers reporting about issues with their vehicles/dealership is thus more than other brands.

All in all, obviously there's a lot of avenues in which VAG can improve their dealership experience, but the entire negative vibe of VAG experience is a little overhyped.

Last edited by Nifty.Nishy : 19th October 2020 at 09:47.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:53   #8
BHPian

My buying experience of the new rapid has been phenomenal. They came to my place twice for test drives on time. Listened to all my queries patiently and treated as a customer should be. All the staff of the showroom were courteous and seemed well verse with their products. Such positive anecdotes as mentioned by you give confidence to new buyers. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
apache_aayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 10:38   #9
BHPian

I have a complete Volkswagen Garage

Red Volkswagen Polo
Red Audi Q3
Red Ducati Multistrada 950..

And I rest my case ...
vikrantj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:50   #10
BHPian

When I was in the market in 2015 for a new car, I had to choose from polo, i20, jazz and grand i10. Test drove all the cars, and became an instant fan of the polo. The driving feel and dynamics are on another level. Jazz and i20 were sensible choice considering after sales and reliability but still went with the polo. My ownership experience has been great if not excellent, and have never faced any breakdowns or issues. My only grouse is the service network of VW is still very limited atleast in Pune. BU Bhandari wakad is not very close to my house and Everytime I have to rely on pick and drop service. How I wish they come with a new dealer/service center for guys staying near magarpatta.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:54   #11
BHPian

I have Rapid and the last two months my car has been in the Bodyshop for repair for multiple accidents(My bad times) and for first service. The experience has been excellent until now and they have been answering to all my queries. The quality of work done was also excellent. Mom was pretty impressed by the quality during one of the accident when a speeding car hit our stationary vehicle from behind and the car stood like a rock and stopping the other vehicle from hitting others. It was painful for me with people hitting my car for no reasons which is my bad luck but in the end, I'm safe, my family is safe, Which is what I care for.

I would pay thousands additionally for the service and parts provided that basic safety is ensured for the passengers inside(listen Hyundai) and car is good post service. Now that Zac Hollis is active on Twitter, it's easier for owners to escalate any issues.

They have a solid products in pipeline and my next car/bike would be a VAG for sure.

My dad's friend drives a Fabia petrol and has clocked over 1.85L kms. I rest my case here.

Last edited by gasinveins : 19th October 2020 at 11:55.
gasinveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:00   #12
BHPian

This is really a refreshing to see the positive note on VAG for a change, amidst the general negative feedback. As a owner for last 3 years, I can say the car is awesome, (Again, we the VW fans are biased, miniscule and go by heart than head, which should have been the case, ended up buying a Jap or Korean car instead).

My only wish is the service centers match the best in the world paint quality of the OE. There are few scratches in my car and once I tried repainting at ASC Chennai, which left a lot to be desired. I would rate the service experience good nevertheless. But the (re)paint quality, shade matching is awful.

Wish to find an independent paint garage to do this at Chennai.

Nonetheless, brilliant product and engineering. Yet to see the dreaded engine check light by the way!
rangarx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:48   #13

I have owned three Skoda cars

Fabia 1.2L Petrol:
Used the car as my primary ride from 2009 to 2013 (Average running 12K kms per year) & then wifey used it till 2017. Clocked 60K Kms.
Apart from Normal service (Oil & Filter change), the only part changed on my car was one rear right power window switch & Tyres
Fabia was regularly serviced at TAFE Access Bangalore & was pretty satisfied with their services.

Laura 1.8 TSI Manual
Used the car as my primary ride from 2013 to 2017 (Average running 12K kms per year) & currently wifey using it. Current ODO is at 58K.
Following parts were changed: Rear quarter glass (Locked key inside, had to break window), Fuel Pump & Water Pump, Break pads.
Laura was regularly serviced at TAFE Access Bangalore & apart from slight delay in procuring quarter rear glass (7 days), pretty smooth affair with TAFE

Octavia 1.8TSI Facelift model
Using from Oct 2017 & has 31K on ODO. Apart for regular service no parts changed. Again with TAFE pretty happy.

Have used Wagon R, Swift & Spark too, apart from Fiat & Amby owned by Family. I can't go back to Japanese cars.

My brother uses Vento & Polo in Pune & is pretty happy too.
Ramukaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:08   #14
BHPian

I currently own a 2011 Passat and a 2017 Tiguan.

Very Satisfied with both, really enjoy how well engineered these cars are and such a pleasure to drive.

Of course, the service costs tend to be on the higher side as compared to the Japanese cars, but that's a premium I'm willing to pay for the absolute delight I get when driving my VWs.

No complaints from the service side, the authorised center I visit has been professional and met all commitments.
driven646 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 17:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Of course, the service costs tend to be on the higher side as compared to the Japanese cars, but that's a premium I'm willing to pay for the absolute delight I get when driving my VWs.
When I owned Japanese cars, I had to take a trip to the service station every 5000 kms. That meant more time spent by me, time that I could have given to other activities like my business, family, fitness etc. So trips to the service centre are more frequent. And time is money, so do the math.

On VWs, the recommended service intervals is 15,000 kms. So that means for every 3 times you visit the Honda/Toyota/Hyundai service centre, you visit the VW service centre only once. Overtime, the amount of time saved is a lot, time that I can now give to other activities. And also, the amount of down-time (time spent by car at workshop) for your car is threes times more for Jap/Korean cars than VW cars.

So atleast for me, this negates the perceived "expensive maintenance" tag for VW cars. And even on every 15,000 kms, the service costs are very reasonable and totally manageable. Tbh, I just think its perception that German brands are expensive to maintain. For me, the opposite has been true. It might be different for other people though, but this has been the truth for me.

I maintain an Excel sheet with all of my vehicles service record, and I compared the costs of my Honda City iVTEC and VW Vento. In the past 6 years, the Vento has replaced its fuel pump, water pump, gear cable and just recently, a complete suspension overhaul (it is frequently loaded with 300-400kg of goods, oh it takes such an abuse). Even then, the money spent on average has been lesser than the Honda City. In the Honda City, I had to keep changing so many minuscule parts, like switches and dials and knobs, lights and stuff, something I havent had to do with my Polo and Vento. I sold my Honda City in 3 years, but keeping the VW since 6 years. Speaks for itself!

VW is more expensive if you directly compare VW spare parts VS Jap/Korean spare parts. For example, parts like brake pads, timing belts etc. are more expensive for VW cars than their Japanese counterparts. That is why they're "perceived" to be more expensive to maintain. But that kind of masks the real story. Even VW coolants are more expensive than Honda coolants. Yet, on an average, maintaining my Polo and Vento have been cheaper, simply because of better quality products.
nutcracker is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks