Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 18:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle

Tata Motors four-millionth passenger vehicle a Nexon EV flagged off from its manufacturing plant in Pune.

Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-0_485_735_0_70_http___img.haymarketsac.in_autocarpro_55430e74c1264249b2aaad41356e7b1b.jpg

Commenting on the four millionth rollout milestone, Shailesh Chandra – President, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Business Unit said, As India’s home-grown automotive brand, we are delighted to have reached this prominent milestone for our passenger vehicles segment. Since its inception, Tata Motors commitment to introducing products that have the best in class safety, design and performance has brought to life the vision of our Chairman Emeritus Mr. Ratan Tata.

Quote:
Tata Motors today rolled out its four-millionth passenger vehicles (PVs) from the Pune plant. The company has produced India’s first indigenously developed passenger car – the Tata Indica. The company had achieved the one-million production mark for PVs in FY2006 and the three million milestone in 2015.

Over the last 30 years, we have rolled out icons that have not only catered to evolving customer needs but have also set new benchmarks in their respective segments. Our ‘New Forever’ range of passenger vehicles only strengthens our commitment towards our customers. In bid to become future-ready we have embarked on a sustainability journey with EVs and are leading India’s journey towards sustainable transportation," added Chandra.

Over the past three decades, Tata Motors has also significantly evolved in terms of manufacturing and technology. Tata Motors was the first Indian company to develop indigenous capabilities from the design, development, validation and manufacturing stages as well as have a streamlined sales and service operations, all under one umbrella. It was also the first car manufacturer to install a crash test facility in India. At present, Tata Motors has in-house design and simulation studios that execute rapid prototyping, digital product development, and a fully-equipped emission testing facilities to enhance its engineering capabilities, thereby developing best-in-class products. Tata Motors has state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities at Chikhali, Pune; Sanand in Gujarat; and the FIAPL plant at Ranjangaon in Pune
https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...-vehicle-77556

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th October 2020 at 18:13.
Venkatesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:54   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle

This is excellent. Warms my heart to see such successes for the homegrown brand. There commitment towards safety and design is truly commendable. Just today, I visited the showroom for the booking of our Tigor, and every product right there in the showroom, be it the Altroz, Tigor , Tiago , Nexon or Harrier, they were exceptional in their fit finish and quality. The interiors, the build, the paint quality everything felt top notch. Also, the strategy TaMo have opted has constantly been pulling people towards their showrooms. People are getting more aware of safe cars and putting safety and local products on their priorities now. There is still a long road ahead of how this success is taken up but the path they have taken, Tata is still surely on the right track.

Regards

Pranav
chiefpk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:10   #3
BHPian

This is excellent!!! Proud Tata Owner. All the more power to Tata. HBX, Gravitas etc will only help them conquer more in coming times. Also glad to see people investing their faith and trust in Tata.
pritanshchandra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:27   #4
BHPian

Excellent news.

With the way & pace at which Tata Motors is improving its products as well as their service to its customers, they definitely deserve all the success & appreciation they are garnering at the moment. Still not the best, but are getting right up there with the best, already providing many segment best experiences in all their existing modern offerings. With some exciting products like HBX & others lined up, I don't see any obstacle which can hamper their growth.
klgiridhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 21:48   #5
BHPian

From earlier TELCO cars (Tata Sierra, Estate, Mobile, SUMO) to modern TATA cars (Harrier, Nexon, Nexon EV), producing 5 million passenger vehicles in the same plant is quite a record.
WhiteSierra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 00:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

As an owner of a 2013 Nano LX that has completed more than 66,000km and still buzzing me and my wife where we need to go reliably , i am happy to see TATA Motors turning themselves around and succeeding because i swore never to go near a TATA Motors showroom or service station after the worst showroom/service station experience i have experienced after buying the Nano.Luckily local mechanics had already mastered the Nano mechanicals by then and my trusted local mechanic has since maintained the car. Maybe we need many more Butscheks in this country, me thinks. Say what?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-.jpg  

nickatnite is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 10:12   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle

Congratulations to Tata! That's 40 lakh cars in just 30 years, as until the end of the 1980s, the company was primarily a Commercial Vehicle manufacturer. But I'll give them a bigger pat on the back for their recent product expertise - cars like the Hexa, Nexon, Tiago (in that order) have been absolutely top-class. While the Harrier's launch was botched with niggles, the 2020 Harrier is far improved and the AT <-> engine marriage is wonderful. In terms of product development capability, Tata (and Mahindra too) have made enormous strides in the last 10 years. In terms of design, Tata is leagues ahead - I love what's coming out of the studios of Pratap Bose & team.

This was enjoyable. @ Tata: Get your execution right, from day 1 itself:
Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-20200802-09.00.35.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th October 2020 at 10:16.
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:09   #8
BHPian

Many congratulations Tata!

5 years ago me and dad would have just laughed at the aspect of buying a Tata product. Fast forward 2020 we have a Hexa in the garage. The car that started Tata's current reckoning. A lot of effort has gone into this and looking at their products and even owning one, it's quite unbelievable what an Indian manufacturer is now capable of.

Hoping Tata doubles the numbers ASAP and brings more amazing products for us. Just some small holes to plug in here and there and Tata could do some serious numbers in the Indian market.

Had a very spirited drive yesterday and couldn't believe the Hexa's potential and how grossly underrated it is. Wows me even after 9 months of ownership.

One from the 4 million
Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-hx.jpg
TROOPER is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 18:40   #9
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata . Tata has come a long way from Indica era. So happy to see so many new age Tata cars on the road especially Tiago’s and Nexon’s. Through Nexon they popularised safety rating among masses

Tata harrier is the best serendipity that happened to us . After driving close to 7000km within a month , it is growing on us . Our contribution towards 4 million
Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-dedea8a0172346e8b243f33a2b986f77.jpeg

Last edited by greyhound82 : 25th October 2020 at 18:51.
greyhound82 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 19:35   #10
BHPian

Big milestone for Tata Motors ! It's one of the most innovative car brands in India be it technologies, body types or design they lead with confidence.

We had 2 among this 4M in our families Tata Sierra '98 and Tata Sumo EX+ '03, had wonderful memories with those .I'm quite curious on the break up of this big figure , all I can recollect are like this :

*Indica+Vista -14.70 Lakhs
*Indigo+Manza ~5 Lakhs
*Tata Sumo+Spacio+Victa+Grande~5 Lakhs
*Tiago+Tigor~3.75 Lakhs
*Tata Nano~ 3 Lakhs
*Tata Nexon ~ 1.50 Lakhs
*Tata Safari +Storme~ 1.50 Lakh
*Tata Zest+ Bolt ~ 1.50 Lakhs
*Tata Hexa+ Aria~ 35K
*Tata Altroz ~ 30K
*Tata Harrier~ 25K

Other models like Sierra , Estate , Venture, Xenon contributed to the rest of the volume.

Key management & engineering players helped in the turn around of Tata Motors passenger cars post 2014:

*Karl Slym
*Cyrus Mistry
*Pratap Bose
*Guenter Butschek
*Mayank Pareek
*Vivek Srivatsa

Hoping them to zoom past 5M soon, Best wishes !

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 25th October 2020 at 19:55.
TorqueIndia is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 20:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

We had Tata Estate! A thoroughbred rust bucket but incredibly comfortable. And on weekends you could move entire household and migrate to new state, such was the space. It was surprisingly reliable too and had power windows!

Almost no possibility (India's aversion to wagons baffles me.) but I really wish Tata brings something like that back in the market. The way Tata is rolling now a days, I fully believe if they churn out a wagon it will be stunner and I will put down my money on one.
Old 25th October 2020, 22:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations to Tata!! 40 lakh cars!

Proud to have owned 6 of the 4 million

I couldn't find any pic of my ultra comfortable Tata Estate.

The other cars are here

Tata Sumo DX
Tata Sumo Grande Dicor 2.2
Tata Sumo Gold 3.0
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 2.2

Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-1603644064444.jpg

20+ years of owning Tata SUVs, I am one happy owner for the most part.

As great the strides the company may have made with their R&D and Design, their QC seems to have been stagnant.

I want to buy an altroz as a replacement to one of my cars but the QC inefficiency of Tatas keeps me away from their showrooms.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th October 2020 at 22:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:52   #13
BHPian

So happy to see this. It was only after the recent Tata launches (mainly the Nexon) that common people started attaching the word safety to cars. Until then, it was mainly kmpl and looks for most folks. The mileage keyword has moved to the second place (at least in the crowd that I hang out with).

My cousin and I have booked the Nexon and waiting for it. When my cousin (who knows zilch about cars except driving), said "When you buy a car, it has to be safe", I was pleasantly surprised that he thought about safety and cars. His current car is a 2nd-gen Swift which he bought only because he liked its looks.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 10:56   #14
BHPian

Kudos to TML. They have come a long way from manufacturing trucks.
All Tata cars when done properly were way ahead of the time. We had the Indica V2 & the Manza. Our close family has had the Nano, Nexon, Safari & Storme.

My first car - was my dads hand me down Indica! We had her till 1.2 l kms!
Had used it almost like a rally driver

Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-64022_10151140925521975_51129130_n.jpg
Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-971061_10151418399776975_1487855644_n.jpg

My dad's Manza. Nothing comes close to the back seat comfort we had her till 1.1 l kms!

Tata Motors produces its 4-million'th passenger vehicle-37286_404221846974_7200486_n.jpg
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:22   #15
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata Motors. Over the past few years they have really come out with excellent products and design. All my cars have been Tata => Indica Turbo, Nano and Hexa. And none of them have let me down or stranded anywhere. I would term the cars as extremely reliable, easy to maintain and light on pocket
Slowjet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed