Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 16:33   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Not sure if that's much shorter than the previous gen Creta - that was 4270 mm and the Kushaq is reportedly 4.26 m - hardly much shorter. More importantly, the wheelbase (the official figure is revealed already by Skoda) is longer than the new gen Creta and Seltos. This would translate to a better seating space but this will probably be at the expense of boot space.
Boot space is an important factor for me as my usage involves long trips with family. With the wheelbase and overall dimensions, I assume that the better rear space is at the expense of boot space. Similar to S-cross which gives 2600 wheelbase and 353 L boot space. The dimensions with reduced height looks similar to S cross. If the boot space is less than 400 L or there is no option to configure the space, like sliding rear seats, I would choose from other options in the market, mainly Creta/ Seltos DCT. The VW thread already mentions the boot space as 330 L.

Another concern is the seat height. I like to sit tall like in a chair with my height, 6' 2", and love the tall seating position of tall vehicles - Creta/ Seltos, XUV 500, Innova etc provide me the tall comfortable sitting position. Hope the seat height adjustment provides enough range to sit tall. S-cross did not provide me a comfortable sitting position with the low height of the vehicle.

Any idea idea about steering adjustment, whether it provides reach adjustment as well along with tilt ?

I am confused on whether to book Creta DCT now, considering there is a 4 month waiting period and cancellation charge, or hope my fears would not come true. I am more inclined on European build quality and DSG gearbox from Skoda/ VW.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 19th February 2021 at 16:43.
Old 19th February 2021, 17:37   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Not sure if that's much shorter than the previous gen Creta - that was 4270 mm and the Kushaq is reportedly 4.26 m - hardly much shorter. More importantly, the wheelbase (the official figure is revealed already by Skoda) is longer than the new gen Creta and Seltos. This would translate to a better seating space but this will probably be at the expense of boot space.
Yes, the Wheelbase officially quoted is a mind blowing 2671 mm - this hints at the possibility of a very spacious car but then it all depends on the engineering experience they can put into it. For example, the Verna and the City both have the same wheelbase of 2600 mm but everyone knows that the Verna has a congested rear seat while the City boasts of a great rear seat. So spec on paper to implementation reality is something to be seen here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Boot space is an important factor for me as my usage involves long trips with family. With the wheelbase and overall dimensions, I assume that the better rear space is at the expense of boot space. Similar to S-cross which gives 2600 wheelbase and 353 L boot space. The dimensions with reduced height looks similar to S cross. If the boot space is less than 400 L or there is no option to configure the space, like sliding rear seats, I would choose from other options in the market, mainly Creta/ Seltos
Before you conclude on the boot space going by paper specs - I highly recommend that you go thru the following posts from BHPian Behemoth here:
Link 1: (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)
Link 2: (Measuring the actual boot capacity of your car)
vsrivatsa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:00   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

The new way defined by manufacturers ( Covered drive, interior look, designer speak, sketch release, R&D speak...) of auto reviews see a revolt in main stream journalists..

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-1.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-2.jpg

If the boot space of Kushaq/Taigun be anything less than 400l ( in spec. sheet), it will have many prospective customers looking elsewhere for sure.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:35   #424
BHPian

Given that Kushaq is a re-incarnation of the kamiq in many sense, it should come with a 400l bootspace, expandable with the seat adjustment
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-kamiq-boot.jpeg  

Old 24th February 2021, 10:15   #425
BHPian

The design language may not look butch or intimidating but it has its own charm and appeal. If they manage space well and give sliding second row, it would be great. Skoda's cars from octavia and above are extremely spacious while rapid etc are not so much relative to the segment. So, can't comment on skoda's space management skills. If this king -- like suv can manage a good safety rating and realistic pricing, I will definitely prefer this, to the koreans.
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:02   #426
BHPian

As much as the heart wants to buy a Skoda, am really worried about the maintenance cost.

I hear that 90% of the parts will be produced locally. Does that mean spare parts cost will be comparatively less than that of Rapid?
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 21:58   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
As much as the heart wants to buy a Skoda, am really worried about the maintenance cost.

I hear that 90% of the parts will be produced locally. Does that mean spare parts cost will be comparatively less than that of Rapid?
In theory yes and this is exactly is what VW and Skoda are promising. But would have to wait and see how it pans out on the ground.
SBM3J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:06   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM3J View Post
In theory yes and this is exactly is what VW and Skoda are promising. But would have to wait and see how it pans out on the ground.
Well for Polo, I can say yes it has indeed been achieved.

In 2014, got my Diesel Polo clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing changed. Paid almost 28,000 for this. Last month, got clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing, flywheel and master cylinder changed and paid around 35k for this. A similar job in 2014 would have cost me easily around 55k. So a net price reduction of around 36%.

If someone goes just for clutch plate, pressure plate and bearing, needs to pay only around 16k to 18k. A saving of almost again 36% and room for further saving based on your relationship with SA.

Also came to know new bumpers and all cost only around 1500 excluding tax and paint. Which is again a great saving than earlier. Interestingly the quality of bumpers is almost the same.

I think these new prices for the quality of product we receive are amongst the best in industry now.

Last edited by steadfast : 4th March 2021 at 10:10.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:08   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post

Parts should cost less and easily availabile as it is produced locally. As with any manufacturer going for heavy localization, it would take some time to get the supply chain and local vendors in order, especially with the quality we expect from a brand like Skoda.

The after sales track record does not give confidence. The new management and india focussed strategy is good news. I see that there is no service centre in bangalore east. The only service centre in Whitefield area is closed temporarily.

The best strategy is to wait and watch instead of taking the plunge right away. The initial niggles will also get sorted out, as is the case with any new vehicle produced locally.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th March 2021 at 10:09.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:23   #430
BHPian

Quote:

The best strategy is to wait and watch instead of taking the plunge right away. The initial niggles will also get sorted out, as is the case with any new vehicle produced locally.
Was kind of hoping this would not be the case with Skoda at the least.

Let's see, anyways, price has to fit my budget first. Which I don't expect to be honest. Lowkey hoping it does not fit my budget so that I can avoid the dilemma.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:30   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
--

The best strategy is to wait and watch instead of taking the plunge right away. --
It is better to await the launch of Taigun and evaluate before taking the plunge.

If Kushaq is being launched in June( test drive/ delivery), Taigun will be available only in October.

Škoda Kushaq shows off its interiors and layout through sketches: Shows ample room for the rear passengers.

Boot space( volume) is the only mystery so far

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-1.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-2.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-3.jpg

Quote:
As with other models of the brand, the Kushaq's cab is dominated by a large free-standing infotainment screen with a diagonal of up to ten inches.
Škoda also draws attention to the characteristic line that runs under the screen and copies the symmetrical motif of the radiator grille. And it promises generous interior space, numerous storage spaces and "Simply Clever" details.
the sketch also suggests the possibility of equipping the car with a digital instrument panel, and the area under the central ventilation vents
Quote:
the Kushaq obviously gets a two-spoke steering wheel, and the presence of a mechanical handbrake
Source: Škoda

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2021 at 11:00.
volkman10 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:34   #432
BHPian

Skoda Kushaq interior design, shared by Zac Hollis on his twitter handle:
Link
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-evndtuau8aaaan3.jpeg  

udaikalra01 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:36   #433
BHPian

official interior drawings

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-kushaq2.jpeg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-kushaq1.jpeg
crazyro is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:52   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Skoda Kushaq interior design, shared by Zac Hollis on his twitter handle:
Link
Not a fan of the body color extending into the interior. Hope it would not be there in the final version, or at least is optional. Apart from that a clean and pleasing design. Not too funky, not too boring.

Looks like the AC controls are all touch based, some might find it inconvenient. I do.

Last edited by cuboid : 4th March 2021 at 10:54.
cuboid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:58   #435
BHPian

Love the simple but classy interior, except for the body colour tone. Hope that isn't the case.
Wish Skoda would start giving choices for the interior colour combinations, would be a first in this segment if at all they do.
The steering wheel design also looks neat.

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 4th March 2021 at 10:59.
hareshjethwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed