Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 20:23   #451
Senior - BHPian

re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
The steering wheel reminds of the Ambassador Nova.
Come on, other than two spoke design there is nothing common between them.

Body color on dashboard and center console spoil the look of interior. Looks like it is carried forward from Polo design.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 20:25   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is that a button in place of where the third spoke of the steering wheel would have met the rim at the bottom? Expect lot of people to end up pressing it by mistake while trying to negotiate the turnings. Hope it is not for any critical function.
Nah. It's what they would have derisively called on old Top Gear, a 'styling feature'.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 20:32   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Nah. It's what they would have derisively called on old Top Gear, a 'styling feature'.
Looks like they want to leave a trace of evolution from 3 spoke to 2 spoke so that historians don't face issues in the future . It almost looks like the third spoke was cut but still a small portion remained on the wheel.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 20:33   #454
Senior - BHPian

Won't the two spoke steering wheel be a bit handful to drive especially on twisty roads ?
Old 4th March 2021, 21:33   #455
BHPian

I know a lot of people have issues with 2 spoke steering wheel. For me, a 2 spoke is like a retro steering wheel. The idea I guess is that you use the rim of the steering wheel to drive rather than the spokes

Here is more on Skoda’s design language for the 2 spoke wheel. Very interesting read

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/innovation/new-two-spoke-steering-wheel-a-complex-development-project/
Old 4th March 2021, 21:36   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the interiors apart from the steering wheel. Happy to see that Skoda hasn't copied the current fad of a huge protruding Berlin Wall type of digital screen, which sticks out vertically over the dashboard.

I just don't like the style; very easy for modern designers to stick the screen up. A beautifully designed dashboard with an integrated screen looks amazing.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:36   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post
I really like the way the sketches look, but I also find it a little perplexing that it looks pretty much like the Kamiq. Most of the dashboard, the steering wheel (from the Scoutline variant of the Kamiq), the central vents, centre console, all of them look the same to me. Only the side AC vents look markedly different. --
Okay, so here are the interior layouts of the Kamiq, Kushaq and Kamiq Scoutline. Design elements could be common in Kushaq.

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-1.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-3.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-2.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2021 at 21:41.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:39   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Won't the two spoke steering wheel be a bit handful to drive especially on twisty roads ?
Actually not. In ideal scenario you use the rim rather than the spoke to drive. I learnt driving in a mark 2 ambassador and there were no space to hold the spokes. There was the rim and the horn and I managed to learn and drive with ease even on the twisty roads of Kerala. It is a matter of relearning
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-df258d5e54d3489ab53aed7b86d120cd.jpeg  

subraiyr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:59   #459
Senior - BHPian

In fact I find the two spoke helm to be quite chic. A break from the monotony. And let's not forget: the little car which liberalised Indian motoring, a.k.a the M-800 had a two spoke steering. Also the evergreen Omni / Maruti Van. And remember how India's post liberalisation "luxury car" - the Maruti 1000 and Maruti Esteem was steered? You got it! All were two spoked helms.
And everyone drove smoothly, (and still driving), through hills and dales and slush and rain and whatnot, without keeling over
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-images.jpeg  

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-screenshot_20210304214459.png  

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-screenshot_20210304214536.png  

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-screenshot_20210304214557.png  

arjab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 07:09   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Front layout from ŠKODA, of the Kushaq for both LHD and RHD markets.

ŠKODA KUSHAQ will be exported to Middle East, Africa and all ASEAN markets.

- comes with 400 L boot space ( as in the KAMIQ)

- Pricing to start at ~ ₹ 9 lakhs ?

Quote:
It must be said that this is quite a pleasant surprise, because although the car will be much cheaper, the interior seems close to more expensive models, such as our Kamiq. After all, the car shares technical basics with it, including a chassis with a wheelbase of 2,651 millimeters, but builds a smaller, yet practical car - in the case of the luggage compartment, it offers 400 liters in the base and 1,395 liters after folding the rear seats
Quote:
The new SUV should go on sale with a price starting around 260 thousand crowns, which is an amount for which you will not even buy a Fabia
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skoda_kushaq_2021_interier_prvni_perex.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skoda_kushaq_2021_interier_prvni_01.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th March 2021 at 07:24.
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 09:36   #461
BHPian

I don't know why but for some reason I was expecting more from Skoda on this. Both Skoda and VW are trying to woo users with their new design philosophies but the interior IMHO doesn't reflect the same.

I've been an avid VAG enthusiast so, therefore, this kind of design in getting somewhat boring. Familiarity is one thing and repetition is another, we are currently are the repetition stage... Personally, I'm not a fan of the colours and the two-spoke steering wheel because I'm not sure how pragmatic or conducive it will be for driving in congested city traffic like Mumbai. Mercedes tried a similar two-spoke design for their S class back in 2014 but they almost immediately removed it when there were more advanced iterations of the car.

While I look forward to the overall package that Skoda is bringing into the Indian markets, I feel it could have done better for some reason...
Old 5th March 2021, 10:22   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Škoda Kushaq shows off its interiors and layout through sketches: Shows ample room for the rear passengers.

Attachment 2128382
Looking at the AC controls released in the sketches of the interior of the Kushaq, it appears to me it is likely going to be in line with what is implemented in the 2021 VW Tiguan. From a design standpoint, appears to be quite similar. At least part digital (if not completely).

Name:  Skoda Kushaq AC controls.PNG
Views: 4525
Size:  534.2 KB

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-2021-vw-tiguan-ac-controls.jpg
k_ajay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 10:42   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
From the same link - "If words like "cheap" do not go hand in hand with what Škoda is doing today, it should be added that the car is intended for the Indian market, where Škoda was in charge of developing four new products."

I pray that it a case of poor translation but being in Automotive industry myself, unfortunately that's largely the Global viewpoint of Indian manufacturing. Cheap and for local consumption only.

Partly that's what the market demands and partly that's the reason these companies present in their boardroom meetings when they present case of Indian manufacturing.

Hoping Skoda is able to prove them wrong with Quality standards of Global levels (OK that's a stretch now )
Old 5th March 2021, 11:22   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Looking at the AC controls released in the sketches of the interior of the Kushaq, it appears to me it is likely going to be in line with what is implemented in the 2021 VW Tiguan. From a design standpoint, appears to be quite similar. At least part digital (if not completely).

Attachment 2128727

Attachment 2128728
Good catch and it does look identical to this unit from Tiguan. Good to see that they are still retaining physical buttons for the AC unit controls (albeit changed to Capacitive touch buttons, instead of tactile ones.) Nowadays manufacturers are putting the AC controls into the touchscreen and that makes it quite inconvenient and distracting. So overall the interiors look very similar to the Kamiq Scoutline, with the AC control panel from the Tiguan. The centre part garnish on the dash should be a more neutral colour instead of the orange shown and I expect it to the same as the Scoutline and have option of either wood finish (in higher variants) and silver in lower variants.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 13:05   #465
BHPian

Not so sure about the 2 spoke steering wheel strength, I had managed to deshape esteem's steering wheel "From top" after a minor accident.

Since this is a modern car I would think the car would have better materials now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks