Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2021, 15:58   #301
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!

I would say they can start at 9.15 L. We all know how agressively ford ecosport launched with a price of 5.59 lakhs that sent shockwaves across the industry. Even indian buyers who would go for swift tilted towards this car. And suddenly people started talking about low maintenance from Ford. And currently ford is surviving only because of that gem car.If Skoda has to make that impression, they have to price it aggressively .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
First off, great choice of name - picking a Sanskrit word meaning "Emperor", rather than a convoluted one named after a polar bear or iguana!

I think the right place to start for pricing would be 9.99 lakhs for a base variant with a 1.0 TSI manual gearbox, and basic safety and comfort features. That will give them the ability to reach a much wider audience given the price sensitivity at the bottom end of the range. Both Creta and Seltos have decently equipped base petrol variants below the 10 lakh mark and Creta even has a base diesel variant at 9.99 lakhs.

The 1.0 TSI equipped Kushaq will compete with 1.5 NA engine of the Creta and Seltos and the Korean brands' sales guys will make unfavorable comparisons on how small the engine is on the Skoda. So, it would be a risk to over-price the base variants and miss the volumes in that end of the price spectrum.

On the other hand, the 1.5 TSI with DSG should be priced significantly higher than the Creta/Seltos top end. This will give the car brand some allure and premium positioning.
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:10   #302
BHPian

That's why am saying launch it with 9-9.15 L. So it becomes a mass product too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Have you heard about the term
"Economies of Scale"? Do you know Rapid is a 10 yr old car? Do you know accounting depreciation of asset?

Do you think Skoda or VW are now milking their 10 yr old assembly line, would have already achieved their costs of investment from the assembly line and can afford the Rapid at 8.15 L due to this ?

I think if you have answers to above questions, you might automatically get the answers to why can't Skoda do this or that ? No one on the forum would need to answer your questions then. All answers will be self understood.

Last edited by motorlover : 26th January 2021 at 16:10. Reason: Spelling
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:14   #303
BHPian

Yes 9.15 or even 9.5 is a good price. I agree to it Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
. We all know how agressively ford ecosport launched with a price of 5.59 lakhs that sent shockwaves across the industry. Even indian buyers who would go for swift tilted towards this car. .

That was a different case

Ecosport had first mover advantage in sub4m space then, but Kushaq is entering an already established segment hence, customers have a good choice of alternatives. So a person who has to buy Kushaq will go for it irrespective and a person who has not to go for it will not buy it and cite 100's of reasons.

A price +-50k would not be a deal breaker. Because in very high probability that person will know before hand that total cost of ownership of a Skoda will be costlier than others but will compensate for safety, driving dynamics and build quality.

Last edited by steadfast : 26th January 2021 at 16:16.
steadfast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:18   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorlover View Post
That's exactly my point. If they can start rapid at 8.15 L why can't kushaq? It's not that they compromised on built or safety standards there.
I hope you do realise that the Rapid platform is more than decade old whereas the Kushaq is based on a new Platform. I dont think we should expect Skoda to price it below Koreans.
Old 26th January 2021, 16:36   #305
BHPian

Personally I wish that skoda offers all the variants with both the engine options and gearbox combinations, seperated by price. Someone who wants only the bigger engine but not the features of the top end variant should have an option. A kushaq with 1.5 tsi with six speed MT and only basic features with OTR of 13 lakhs would be my ideal choice.
DonHyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:43   #306
Senior - BHPian

Skoda game plan with Kushaq, conversation with MD Gurpratap Boparai Skoda auto India

Skoda will open more new dealers pan India in time for the launch of Kushaq

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-smartselect_20210126164053_twitter.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-20210126_164149.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 26th January 2021 at 16:58.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 17:36   #307
BHPian

As 1.0 TSI seems to be engine choice for the moment, i still cant imagine such small units hauling around 1.5tons, that too when somebody is abusing the A pedal
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 20:43   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Personally I wish that skoda offers all the variants with both the engine options and gearbox combinations, seperated by price. Someone who wants only the bigger engine but not the features of the top end variant should have an option. A kushaq with 1.5 tsi with six speed MT and only basic features with OTR of 13 lakhs would be my ideal choice.
At 13 Lakhs OTR, 1.5 TSI is everyone’s wish. However it’s unlikely to happen. The Similarly sized T Roc with the same engine+ DSG retails for around 24 OTR. It’s a CBU though.

Now with 93% localisation and a MT 1.5TSI Kushaq is bound to be around 17L.

I also wish that 1.0 TSI mid variant will be retails at 12 OTR but the 10 year old top spec Montecarlo Rapid 1.0 TSI retails around 15L. So unless Skoda is planning a Nissan Magnite kind of splash, it’s unlikely to happen!
buntee90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 07:51   #309
BHPian

Nissan Magnite XV Premium Turbo is priced at Rs. 8.45 lacs ex-showroom. This top variant has ESC+ Hill assist, TPMS but with only 2 airbags. This is also Built in India for the World model.
In comparison, Skoda Kushaq
a). Is Around 200 mm longer (add 50k)
b) has higher tax bracket (add 50 k)
c) Kushaq 1.0 TSI has direct injection and hence better power and Torque(add 50k)
d) if Skoda variant has 4 airbags, then add 25k
e) tyre size could be bigger.
f) better build quality than Nissan - (add 50k)
g) Skoda's After Sales Support is just good or bad as Nissan

Hence, Skoda may have to price the mid variant of 1.0 Turbo south of Rs.11 lac. But Skoda would do well to price atleast one variant below 10 lacs.
Skoda should adopt agressive pricing considering that MG ZS, next gen Brezza, new mid size SUV jointly developed by Toyota and Suzuki could all launch within 3 months to 9 months of Kushaq's launch.
So, agressive pricing will help Skoda to establish its market standing.
DImPo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 17:13   #310
BHPian

MD of Skoda Auto and VW India answers some questions about upcoming Kushaq and the group’s future.

neeraj08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 07:29   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

More Kushaq's on the road.

Skoda Kushaq continues its last lap of testing, now spotted in in Valparai, Tamil Nadu.

Quote:
Prices are expected to range from Rs 9 lakh to Rs 16 lakh. It will take on likes of the Hyundai Creta, Kia Seltos, Renault Duster and Nissan Kicks.

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skodakushaq.jpg

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skodakushaqexterior.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th January 2021 at 07:31.
Old 28th January 2021, 08:27   #312
BHPian

The extensive testing of Skoda's baby SUV, the Kushaq continues. Now it has been spied undergoing tests in its home country, Czech Republic.
The article states that Skoda are conducting low temperature climatic tests.

Link - https://www.rushlane.com/skoda-kusha...-12391569.html
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skodakushaqspiedeuropetesting3.jpg  

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skodakushaqspiedeuropetesting7.jpg  

The Skoda Kushaq crossover, now unveiled!-skodakushaqspiedeuropetesting1.jpg  

Old 28th January 2021, 08:52   #313
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Summary:
3. Both were prototypes with scope for improvement (primary objective of this media drive/feedback)

10. Static launch in March
Media drive in January for feedback and improvements, and launch by March or April?

They sure can't implement improvements from feedback within that time span, as it may involve redoing the production lines or reworking with vendors or retuning etc depending on the required improvement.

I think it's just a part of their launch strategy, for the reasons known to themselves.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 09:46   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Media drive in January for feedback and improvements, and launch by March or April?

They sure can't implement improvements from feedback within that time span, as it may involve redoing the production lines or reworking with vendors or retuning etc depending on the required improvement.
I disagree. Normally, by this time Skoda will have a 'longlist' of options & tweaks that they can add on to the production version. These last extensive drives are to refine the end product, which (till then) may have only been driven by Skoda India & global inhouse personnel. The tribe of motoring journalists and select automotive enthusiasts (with a strict signed NDA) usually give practical feedback that many manufacturers quickly bake into the final version.

Domestically, Tata & Mahindra make serious use of such people to enhance their offerings.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 10:07   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Only the unveiling will be done in March, the deliveries will start from June/july only. Production hasn't been started yet so they have a time for tweaks and improvements.

According to my source 1.0 tsi variant is ready, they are working on the software of the 1.5 tsi variant, that's why the reviewers weren't that impressed with the performance of the 1.5 tsi, it's still being worked upon.
yesyeswe is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed