Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Indian Classic would you own today?
Hindustan Ambassador 46 10.36%
Hindustan Contessa 162 36.49%
Maruti 800 31 6.98%
Maruti Gypsy 140 31.53%
Premier Padmini 24 5.41%
Premier 118NE 16 3.60%
Sipani Dolphin 4 0.90%
Standard 2000 13 2.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 8 1.80%
Voters: 444. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 13:01   #1
Team-BHP Support

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?

Hindustan Ambassador:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-amby.jpg

Based on the Morris Oxford Series III, the Ambassador was introduced in 1958. It was the car of choice of the chauffeured class including politicians and senior officials of public and private companies due to its super comfortable rear bench seat. It was powered by a range of engines including 1,489cc, 4-cylinder BMC petrol (54 BHP) and diesel (~40 BHP) units and a 1,760 cc BMC petrol engine and came with a 4-speed manual gearbox.

Hindustan Contessa:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-100_1148.jpg

In the latter half of the 1980s, Hindustan Motors started manufacturing the Contessa, which used the platform and body of a Vauxhall Victor from the 1970s. It was long, low-slung and had a soft ride. Officials (particularly in big cities) who wanted to make an impression opted for the Contessa over the Ambassador. Early examples used the same 1.5L petrol engine from the Ambassador, which made this heavy car very sluggish. In 1987, Hindustan replaced the old engine with a 1,817cc, 88 BHP, 4-cylinder petrol engine from Isuzu. This smooth and torquey engine was mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox and made the Contessa the fastest Indian car of its time.

Maruti 800:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-img_0745.jpg

This was the car that changed the Indian car scene. Introduced in 1983, it was small, nimble and quick for its time. The 800 was the car that defined performance and reliability in its day. It was based on the Suzuki Fronte SS80 hatchback and powered by a 796cc, 3-cyliinder petrol engine with 37 BHP on tap and had a 4-speed manual gearbox. Its light weight made it very fuel efficient and it was way better to drive than the other cars available in the market at that time. The second-generation 800 was launched in 1986. Its small size, performance, reliability, efficiency and easy of driving made the 800 very popular. It soon became the best-selling car in the country.

Maruti Gypsy:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-gypsy.jpg

The Gypsy was introduced in 1985. Based on the long wheelbase Suzuki Jimny SJ40/410 series, it was powered by a 970cc, 4-cylinder petrol engine that made 45 BHP and was mated to a 4-speed manual gearbox. This was the car that changed the way city dwellers looked at off-roaders. It was a lot more modern in every way than the old Jeeps that Mahindra was making in those days. Very soon, it became popular on the rally circuit in the country as well.

Premier Padmini:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-padmini.jpg

The Padmini was derived from the Fiat 1100, which Premier assembled in India. This car was launched in 1964. It was the choice of those who liked to drive themselves. It was smaller and handled better than the Ambassador. It was powered by a 1,089cc, 4-cylinder petrol engine that developed ~40 BHP and was mated to a 4-speed manual gearbox.

Premier 118NE:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-118ne-1.jpg

Premier Automobiles stuck with their Fiat connection and built the 118NE, which used the platform and body of the Fiat 124. However, this time, they did not use a Fiat engine. Instead they sourced a 1,171cc, 4-cylinder petrol unit from Nissan (hence the NE suffix). This engine developed 52 BHP and 80 Nm. It was mated to a super smooth 4-speed manual transmission.

Sipani Dolphin:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-dolphin.jpg

Sipani was a Bangalore-based car manufacturer. It made cars based on Reliant (UK) models. The Dolphin, which was launched in 1982, was based on the Kitten hatchback. It had a 2-door plastic body and weighed just over 500 kg. That coupled with an 848cc petrol engine that made 38 BHP made the Dolphin a quick car for its time. The car has been used in rallies as well.

Standard 2000:

Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-standard_01.jpg

The Standard 2000 was launched in 1985. It was based on the Rover SD1 and featured a sleek fastback body that resembled the Ferrari Daytona. Needless to say it made us (then) kids weak in the knees. However, it was very heavy and came with a 2L, 82 BHP petrol engine from an old British car of the 1960s. The car had a reputation of being sluggish and quite a gas guzzler. With the Isuzu powered Contessa providing a better option as a fast and comparatively reliable large car, the Standard 2000 failed to make an impact in the Indian car market in terms of sales.

Image Source

Last edited by Aditya : 28th October 2020 at 18:22.
Aditya is online now   (37) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?

I know a lot of BHPians are going to vote for the Contessa, but my favourite is the Ambassador. While the Contessa is better looking, a well-maintained Ambassador can also be a head-turner. I'd get one, strip it down and do a full restoration in white or black colour, then plonk that creamy 1.8 ISZ petrol under the hood.

This would be pretty close to my ideal Indian "modern classic" car:
Which modern-classic Indian car from the '80s would you own today?-back-tail.jpg
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:21   #3
BHPian

I've to admit that being a 90s kid I've never driven or rather had a chance to drive any of the cars listed above. But if I have to choose one, it'll be the Gypsy. I used to drool over the yellow 'Marlboro' Gypsy from the Suresh Gopi starrer 'Highway' (1995). The ambassador will always have a special place in my heart as it is the first car etched in my memory. I've never been inside a Contessa, but that'll change soon as a very close friend of mine picked up an example and is almost done restoring it from ground up.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 28th October 2020 at 18:25.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Gypsy. Simple, mechanical, practically unbreakable and an easy fix should anything break. That it had the ability of the proverbial mountain goat is the icing on the cake. Just ask the Indian Army. They still buy the stuff.

Worst classic will probably be the Standard 2000 with its Standard Vanguard derived gas guzzling powertrain and consistently unrelaible electrics. Just epitomised the idiom "all - show - and - no - go".
Close second will be the 118NE. Wonderful powertrain and the creamiest of gearbox; let down by a body so prone to rust and corrosion that people used to go slowly around bends lest things break - off
And it did. In our 118NE. In Calcutta: while taking a right hander, the car leaned on its left , there was an almightly clanging noise and the entire lower control arm popped out from the inner-body mounting! E'nuff said!
arjab is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Its Contessa for me. India's very own American Muscle Car. Gypsy comes second followed by Ambassador. Just think of having the latest 1.6 Hyundai's CRDI Diesel or the 1.5 mHawk Diesel , Projector Headlamps on those two barrel lights and some electrical zigmos.

Last edited by saisree : 28th October 2020 at 18:46.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:57   #6
BHPian

Padmini S1 for me. It was the first floor shift Padmini. The rust issues were resolved in this model.
Close second would be the Ambassador because it is still in operation in Kolkata and spares are available. I loved the 118NE but the rusting issues were too expensive to fix.
Cessna182 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

I don't buy cars that I have had in the past. Among the ones I haven't owned and want to own, it would be the two rally stars - Gypsy and Dolphin. I believe the Gypsy will be easier to source and maintain than the Dolphin. Therefore, the choice is simple. Gypsy it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Padmini S1 for me. It was the first floor shift Padmini. The rust issues were resolved in this model.
The S1 came only in the 1990s if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th October 2020 at 11:30.
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

I would own the Maruti 800 - that too only in the baby blue color shown above.

Reason: Just very personal. We owned one of the first lot deliveries of the 800 in the same baby blue when it was first launched. I was perhaps 6 or 7 years old then. That car stayed with us till I started my first job.

My entire childhood in Delhi, it was the only car we owned.
I learnt to change a flat tyre in the car (before I was even a teenager).
I learnt to drive in it when it came with us to Mumbai and then Pune.
It was the only car available to me during my college years, when I needed a car instead of my motorbike.
I would occasionally drive it to work when I landed my first job in Mumbai (although by then we always had a second newer car like Wagon R / Zen etc).

It is my deepest regret that we didn't hold on to it like a classic and that we sold it sometime in 2003.

No other automobile has a more special place in my heart. For me, jaise thanda matlab coca cola, waise gaadi matlab, baby blue 800!

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th October 2020 at 20:23.
Axe77 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 20:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Although many say the Contessa is India's muscle car, I feel it looks very awkward if you come at it from the lens of an actual muscle car. The Standard 2000 may mimic a Ferrari Daytona, but then even the Daewoo Cielo mimics the old Mustangs and I feel they are both undesirable as a result. The Sipani Dolphin looks like a prototype that may have been tested before the SS80, the 118NE lacks any design flair and the Padmini just looks like a skinny Ambassador IMO.

I would go for the Ambassador, swap its drivetrain for a 2.7 4WD Vitara's, and paint it in a dark Aubergine colour
IshaanIan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 20:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

It would be the Maruti Gypsy. Always wanted one and even remember trying to coax dad to buy one in the mid 90s. Perfect size for a daily driver and the petrol engine kept things smooth. And fantastic 4x4 capabilities. I still love the Gypsy king even to this day.

The Hindustan Contessa a close second. Had so much fun in this one, actually the same car in the photo above. What amazing space and superb highway cruising ability. The Isuzu motor and 5 speed manual were a perfect combo. Still would want to plonk in a V8 and make a project car.
Dippy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 20:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Tough choice, as my first car was a Premier Padmini, while Dad had an Ambassador at home.

I'd go with the Ambassador as

1. overall, the car had more car-per-car

2. for a hands on guy like me, an Ambassador was easier to work on.

One example - replacing the speedo cable on an Ambasador took me approx. 15 minutes against the minimum 30 minutes on a Padmini.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:08   #12
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the 800.

As a 90s born guy, the only real connect I have with any of these cars is the 800 and the Gypsy.

By the time I was old enough to even comprehend and understand the 'varieties' of cars, most of the other cars had already begin to decline in terms if sales and visibility. It is only the 800 and Gypsy which carried throughout the 2000s and well past that.

For me, it would be the 800 in the red shade.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Although many say the Contessa is India's muscle car, I feel it looks very awkward if you come at it from the lens of an actual muscle car. The Standard 2000 may mimic a Ferrari Daytona, but then even the Daewoo Cielo mimics the old Mustangs and I feel they are both undesirable as a result. The Sipani Dolphin looks like a prototype that may have been tested before the SS80, the 118NE lacks any design flair and the Padmini just looks like a skinny Ambassador IMO.

I would go for the Ambassador, swap its drivetrain for a 2.7 4WD Vitara's, and paint it in a dark Aubergine colour
My bank account is gonna hate you for giving such ideas. Already I've been dumping money into my 63' Amby. And recently, been driving it around in the hometown. The respect it commands from even transport buses is enough for me to have this in great shape.

Slightly disagree on the muscle car comment of the Contessa. It definitely looks the part with the right mods. The squared off front end, the sloping fastback look etc. are totally attention worthy. What I can't live with is the interior. It's an absolutely shoddy and I've heard it's a real pain to work with. Almost every Contessa I've seen modded has very nice exteriors but the interiors are a total whack job. Hopefully the Contessa fans here have seen better.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:34   #14
BHPian

Voted for Gypsy. It still looks fresh, does decent off roading as well. If you want a budget 4x4, buy a second hand Gypsy and restore the mechanicals, it will serve you well.

my 2nd vote goes for Contessa. It looks like an American muscle car, a powerful engine swap will make it most desirable car.

I did not choose Ambassador and Premier Padmini as they are not originally from 80s, but from 50s and 60s. IMO, they are pretty old to be considered as modern classic cars.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 21:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

As a millennial, I've the connection with the M800 and will restore that. Parts will be available and mechanics will be able to easily fix the car.

Except the Sipani & Standard, I've ridden in all the cars on this list
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks