Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 19:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai: Fire breaks out at Jeep service centre in Andheri

A massive fire broke out at Landmark Jeep service workshop situated at Sona Udyog Bhavan in Andheri, Mumbai. The incident took place at around 12 noon on October 29, 2020.

According to amateur videos posted on Youtube, the fire started somewhere inside the workshop. Small explosions can be heard as the intensity of the blaze increases. Eventually, the fire spreads to the roof of the building. Amidst the commotion, technicians can be seen vacating the premises with as many cars as possible.

The fire was reportedly brought under control within minutes. The fire brigade declared it as a Level 1 fire. The cause of the blaze is still unknown but it is said that a short circuit may have been the culprit.

Thanks to Jegan Nathan for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 30th October 2020 at 19:52.
TusharK is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 20:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Fire breaks out at Jeep service centre in Andheri

Oh My God!

This was a serious fire, the entire service staff worked as a TEAM and saved all customer cars from burning! Kudos to them for their fast response time. Presence of mind was the key here!

I wonder what would have happened had this been Maruti Suzuki’s jam packed service station!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 30th October 2020 at 20:36.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Glad it was contained before it became more deadly.

On a different note, wonder how the liabilities would pan out in the event of damage to customer cars; as the risk of such an incident happening seems quite real
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I wonder what would have happened had this been Maruti Suzuki’s jam packed service station!
A much larger scale fire incident did happen at a Maruti Suzuki showroom in Faridabad a few weeks back and along with the showroom vehicles, many customer cars got destroyed as well because of the fire as they were present in the service bay below the showroom. Jeep has my respect for saving the cars.

Last edited by Lowflyer23 : 30th October 2020 at 21:41.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep has announced it officially.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai: Fire breaks out at Jeep service centre in Andheri-139e47330a3c45178fadb63776985333.jpeg  

CEF_Beasts is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 22:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A massive fire broke out

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=BAQYOGYT_DU

The cause of the blaze is still unknown but it is said that a short circuit may have been the culprit
While quick actions on the part of the staff in removing cars out is commendable, the following are deplorable:

1. at 00:20 in the video - a couple of folks at the mouth of that shed filming away to glory.

They should have, instead, vacated the place and allowed an obstruction free escape route for the people and the vehicles inside the shed

2. the general state of emergency response

3. citing short circuit as the cause of fire.

I will be happy to see the day people start behaving responsibly in an emergency and authorities start looking beyond short circuit as the cause of a fire.

Last edited by vigsom : 30th October 2020 at 22:49.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 06:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

The general state of emergency response will not be any different even in any other socially “upscale” setting. We are simply not attuned to preventive strategies such as regular drills.
Therefore there will be a sense of disorder. And then there will be a lot of praise and back smacking on the heroism. No one will bother to listen to someone who may have noticed something amiss & perhaps pointed it out earlier.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 31st October 2020 at 06:27.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 10:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am glad everyone made it out safe! Kudos to the guys over at Jeep who were proactive in moving the cars in any way possible. I’m very sure that if there were more cars in the workshop, most of them would’ve burnt down.

At 0:20 of the video, you can see a few people filming the fire. If these people are from the SC itself, aren’t they supposed to be helping the others in moving all cars? Jeep should honestly take care of these people before something else happens there.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 21:31   #9
BHPian

The employee in uniform shooting a video @ 20 seconds while his colleagues rushed to douse the fire must be questioned. Found it odd that the employee stands at the periphery and shoots a video along with other bystanders while his colleagues are running around in panic.

Kudos to all employees (except the one mentioned in the first paragraph) for doing an admirable job of protecting the cars.

Last edited by JojyKerala : 31st October 2020 at 21:47.
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 21:44   #10
BHPian

The fire started at the Renault service station and from what I have heard is that there was considerable damage there. Both Renault and Jeep service stations share a common wall and that's how it spread to the Jeep service centre side. From what I know, the Jeep service station personnel immediately swung into action and safely evacuated all the cars and personnel.
The below articles throw more light on the incident.

https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...n-andheri-east

Last edited by Aditya : 1st November 2020 at 04:39. Reason: Typo
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 22:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
This incident took place in one of the service station in Kolkata (OneAuto/1Auto) in Kalikapur. There were several cars damaged due to the fire outbreak and the service station is still closed.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 22:47   #12
BHPian

I watched the entire video, keeping the cause of the fire aside, I'd like to appreciate the staff of this Jeep service center for their bravery and professionalism, they simply did not leave customers' cars in the service bay while the fire was spreading, they recovered all cars and drove them outside, they also pushed a few cars (which were undergoing repairs / service) and saved them. Hats off to their bravery for saving cars in such a tense situation.
WhiteSierra is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 11:38   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Thread moved to the dealership section.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:05   #14
BHPian

Don't know why but it seems very satisfying to see that in a world of fooling their customers, these folks are risking their lives to save their customer's pride. Yea, people might counter this by saying it was their job on the first place or they did not do any out of the box thing but, please understand, they could have walked away stating the risk and asked their customer's insurance providers to deal with them, or their own insurance provider (commercial building insurance, if they have one).
As far as I can see, lastly, there were no cars inside the burning premise and remember, it is a workshop so some vehicles might not even be in a state to be moved out of their own, clutch, transmission, wheels etc removed...!
All in all, a commendable job done by these guys.

On a similar note, an incident involving fire happened in Faridabad a couple of days back and it was a Maruti Suzuki showroom cum service center.

https://m.tribuneindia.com/news/hary...-gutted-153259

The reason of such high damages is the breaking out of fire at night when the showroom and service center were not operational.

A youtuber going by the name Arun Panwar has covered this in one of his videos. You can check out the following link.

Aish_4761 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 17:46   #15
BHPian

That's unfortunate. I used get my Fiat serviced there till they got rather expensive. The entry and exit to the service centre is a bit tight and the offices of staff are right through a door to the right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks