Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 22:34   #136
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

Tata Altroz is a looker. Much more than the current i20. The NA petrol engine is the only weakness.
WizSatish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 23:12   #137
BHPian

In marketing, under competitive strategies we learn about market leaders(Both Maruti Baleno and Hyundai i20) and market followers(Tata Altroz). Tata is following all the rules under the Market follower umbrella by openly challenging market leaders. Interesting to see how Maruti or Hyundai responds (though in textbook scenario both should just ignore Altroz ).
Old 13th July 2021, 08:24   #138
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Yeah that's all nice and chummy but where's my DCT on Altroz, Tata?
Old 13th July 2021, 09:03   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizSatish View Post
Tata Altroz is a looker. Much more than the current i20. The NA petrol engine is the only weakness.
I fully agree with this.
I have driven some new-Gen Tata cars & I've been impressed with their quality. IMHO, if Tata replaces mediocre engines with performance engines which matches car's stance, they are all sorted out to be number 1 in long run.
NerdSpeaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 10:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
Credits where credit is due, Altroz seems to have checked off all the rights boxes for Tata and customers. (Expecting delivery of my brother's Altroz XZ Diesel next week, after 3 months of follow up owing to Covid lockdown)

However, when you look at the bigger picture for TATA, that's big talk from someone who even after 2 years, cannot figure out how to put in an Audio head unit without bugs in a "20" lakh plus car, and the "20" missing "i"s could easily be the 20+ "i"ssues people are having with the Audio unit in the said car...
Lol. I still cannot have a decent Bluetooth telephone conversation in my Harrier, while the same on my half the price Vento is a breeze and as good as talking.on the headset without Bluetooth. But full marks to Tata on the car otherwise.
Jattitude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 11:36   #141
BHPian

If numbers meant everything than the Hyena would be the king of the jungle . Either way, Hyundai is smashing Tata where it comes to sales of the Venue and Creta. I wonder where Tata would hide once Hyundai starts hitting back with their comebacks. While I do agree that Tata cars have massively improved over what they used to be, the thing about car manufacturers is, its all about fooling the market. When it comes to lesser sales, they say quality over quantity and when their sales rise, they play such antics.

The bottom line is, sales numbers mean nothing about how good a product is, otherwise Maruti would start taking a dig at everyone with their inferior technology, sub-par build quality cars. (No offence to any Maruti owners here)
Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:38   #142
BHPian

It's really good to see Tata outselling another car. As long as the competition is healthy, we can enjoy some fun in the ads too.
Old 13th July 2021, 13:35   #143
BHPian

That's the wittiest ad ever ! Tata is now in a habit of making such ads more so. Feels refreshing after reading these .
quattroa4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:50   #144
BHPian

That's indeed a clever dig by TML. Even though I didnot drive both the vehicles, I definitely like the stance of Altroz when compared to i20.
ramsudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:51   #145
Senior - BHPian

This is good considering the fact consumers are tilting towards safety over features, brand impression.

But, Tata please do not rest on these laurels. Focus on your QC across product lines. Your ex-design head has built a good path in terms of product design, all you need to do is ensure QC is conducted extensively and all issues are ironed out prior / after sales so that customers keep returning to you - remember, it’s not about getting to the podium first but maintaining the position throughout will prove what you’re capable of!

A competitive product can be killed with an incompetent service too! So, keep a check consistently good luck!
gururajrv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 15:26   #146
BHPian

Even the harshest critics gotta admit ! Tata has style and cheek for good measure..

Every product has shortcomings but it doesn't / shouldn't stop manufacturers from pushing their products. Well done on the ad Tata. If you could only up your game on quality assurance and after sales !
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:27   #147
AZT
BHPian

I like the ad but it's not exactly even the same price. Carwale shows me below prices for Mumbai OTR
Altroz - 6.86 - 11.39 lakh
i20 - 8.01 - 13.29 lakh

I think ~ 12 lakh is where start moving into CSUV territory and if I were to guess, most Altroz sold would be sub 10 lakh and most i20 sold would be over 10 lakh.
Old 13th July 2021, 17:00   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Altroz beats new i20 in Q1 FY-22 sales and comes up with a new ad.
Just viewed the Tata claim on Twitter. Looks like the start of a "Cola War" right here right now between #2 and #3.

After a lot of setbacks, balance sheet losses, quality niggles, buyer complaints and innuendos since a decade and a half, Tata Motors has just emerged at the #3 ranking in the list of India's car makers, sales wise. The lines don't make sense and show a cheap trick approach from the car maker.

Tata Motors needs to strive to remain contemporary with its inherent strength, maintain better product quality, devote all its might to improve ASC reputation and also show a demeanour worthy of its parent company's reputation and respect.

I am sure that neither the Late J. R. D. Tata, nor Ratan Tata would have approved such cheap and shortcut methods to attract attention and thereafter hopefully gain fame, from some of those who believe in such cheap tricks.

Here's a customer's amusing tweet in reply to Tata's 20 i claim. The customer doesn't say which car he has bought. It could be a second hand, 20 year old Indica too. :-

Quote:
I'm regretting buying a tata car and ya'll regret too. Their cars are underpowered and overweight. Tata cars make too much noise and unreliable. And old man i met in service center was saying "if anyone offers you a tata car for free, don't take it" and i felt that.
Tata Motors' reply to the above tweet:-

Quote:
Hi, we'd really like to look into the concern you've raised. Please share your contact details, Email ID, vehicle model & dealer information via DM, so that we can connect with you for further help. https://t.co/qzoxCmqEaR
Hence, the cracked rear view mirror of the past pops up and shows the broken glasses if the newly gained name and fame become a matter of ego for Tata Motors', now with its nose up in the air.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th July 2021 at 17:08.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 20:49   #149
BHPian

Lol. I hope Tata realises that they are heavily dependent on Hyundai for its automatic gearbox
avm2407 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 20:55   #150
BHPian

With all due respect to Tata Motors, feel this is not required...why do so yet again (recollect the previous ad targeting both i20 and Baleno). "Action speaks louder than Ad(words)s".
There are still quality issues/niggles in Altroz, why not resolve them all? How about improvements required in Dealerships - both front and back office. Had visited Tata showroom looking to check-out Altroz and did not have a pleasing experience. Moreover, there's still no proper automatic gearbox on Altroz (one of the reason i dropped it from consideration). In essence, lot of scope to improve, which can further boost the numbers....then, as they - Numbers speak for themselves..
VikramCS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed