Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 11:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Yes, because that it the fact. Maybe you one of the lucky few who has a better experience with their service and I presume with the sales too. But my personal experience with their sales is pathetic to say the least and so is the service experience of my close friends who own a TATA vehicle.

The main point here is, to take such digs on a well establish player, one needs to atleast be at an equal level with that competitor, if not above. Anyway, I don't want to hurt the sentiments of TATA fanboys here. It was just my take on the ad with a more holistic approach. Simple as that.
I see that your location is Goa. While the ND Naik guys were pretty bad, I have not heard of anything terrible about Durga motors for last 2 years since new gen Tata cars started rolling in. May be you can share few cases to enlighten us?

PS: I am a Ford fanboy.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildarts View Post
IMO Altroz does not have the pedigree to compete with the i20. The outgoing i20 still sells significantly more numbers than the Altroz. So TATA mocking Hyundai is silly. The gap is only going to get bigger with the newer gen i20.
Who is to decide whose pedigree is bigger or better? Hyundai's pedigree in India is that of consumer friendly cars and related services.
Tata's pedigree has been robust, abuse friendly cars. Given that the average span of the first time ownership is now down to 5 years or less, reliability is pretty much out of the equation-its a given.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th November 2020 at 11:48.
fhdowntheline is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:16   #33
BHPian

I think this all began with the new design boss at Tata. He has been taking pot shots at others for sometime now. Tata is generally known for its decency and modest public behavior. I personally feel it is unnecessary and in bad taste. And who does the Tata designer think he is? Marcello Gandini?
Old 4th November 2020, 12:30   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Its fun & I hope both companies will keep things in limits & at a friendly competitive level rather than getting ugly. Its good to see some fun in these gloomy times. The moment it gets ugly / too much below the belt - Tata stands to lose more given the brand following Hyundai has.

I generally hate under the belt / unwarranted jibes at others in advertisement campaigns. For example I didn't like the Bajaj ads taking a swipe at the Royal Enfields some years ago. However in some cases I think they are OK. In this particular case I think Tata HAD to do this preemptive strike. Why? Here is my logic -
  • Since many years I suspect (honestly - no facts with me. Just a suspicion), competitors smartly campaign / pay or impress reviewers / media houses such that a much larger, more powerful, more equipped Tata car gets compared with a lower segment car from others.
  • Example - Tiago is pitted against a Celerio & Santro and never against a Swift/i10. Indica was pitted against an Alto! On what grounds - I don't know. How on earth does a Tiago compare with a Celerio?
  • Of course - Tata was at fault too by making neither here nor there products and not finishing them properly to leave no doubt.
  • Once this is repeated in all media - the public perception changes & never gets reversed.
  • Now I feel there was a high probability that reviews / comparisons by Hyundai might have subtly showed Altroz in tables of specifications with an i10 NIOS. It would be game over really. Gold standard to plywood.
  • With the Altroz, they have delivered a product really well finished on quality & user experience. Tata is proactively claiming and putting it on the table that Altroz fights with the i20. Nothing below.

Whether it is comparable to the i20 in all aspects or not? Time will tell once the tests are out. At least Tata is doing its bit of throwing the gauntlet. (And this is not new either. Almost a decade back - there was a Manza TVC really going at MSIL's DZire.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th November 2020 at 12:33.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:38   #35
BHPian

With respect to all the posts who feel that this is in bad taste and shouldn't have been done, this is a type of marketing which companies often use and it is even a part of the curriculum in any marketing class in B-Schools. The major thing one needs to ensure is that the company is not detrimental of the competition when showcasing their ads and I feel TML is inline here. It is funny and friendly banter and Hyundai should not have an issue as TML is actually promoting the i20 when showcasing the ad. That's a free marketing point for Hyundai too. Someone mentioned about the classic Coke vs Pepsi ads (Sprite vs Pepsi wherein Coke referred to Pepsi as Pappi ).

Some years back, Jag did the same with the popular chicken ad of Mercedes. (Now that I remember that ad, looks like TML is imbibing a whole lot from JLR and not only platforms for their cars ).

Last edited by SansGT : 4th November 2020 at 12:40.
SansGT is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post

A lot of festivals aren't celebrated between northern, southern, eastern and western states. Doesn't mean manufacturers or people cannot wish those who are celebrating one. No need to call it "slave mentality". Learn to accept Unity in Diversity. Thanks.
My fellow compatriot, before taking offense at anything it would be advisable to be fully knowledgeable about it. Halloween is not a christian religious festival but a American specific celebration. It was appropriated in christianity only in 8th century by pope gregory 3 after 1st Novemeber was declared as All Saints' Day. It has no roots in Indian christian community and halloween celebration is negligent at best in european christian community. In fact, even evangelical christians in america are very vocally against it and they consider it satanic and pagan. Halloween predates christanity and was basically offerring of foods to demons and ghosts by Celts so that they do not destroy the crops and to scare them away. White european settlers started celebrating it more vigourously with Red Indians harvest celebration in america.

It is this slave mentality, americanisation and white worshipping is what I detest. We have Rupees "rs" sign, but even educated people use "$" sign in context of money. We have started using "million" when we already have "lacs" and a far superior number system. Few have even started using american decimal system where they use (00,000,000) while we use (00,00,00) and not to forget you can see the use of periods (.) Instead of comma(,) in decimal system which few european countries use. Why use the term "gasoline" when "petrol" is what we know. Using "cops" instead of "police". We are in India and using these terms talking to fellow Indians, does this not show a decline in morality and moreso, appropriating terms to feign some superiority amongst our own? There is a pattern here which has been ignored largely but it will emerge. Let us hope that we do not become a mitochondria engulfed by an alien cell. Furthermore, according to new prevalent norms, celebration of Halloween in India might be a "cultural appropriation" and such has been deemed wrong by a very vocal and influential section of "intelligesia".
Sran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:23   #37
BHPian

Re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yeah. Tata haters will simply bring it up regardless of what the topic is, as long as there's some mention of Tata somewhere.

And the service quality has actually gotten better in recent days.
No doubt! For everyone who had a bitter experience with Tata's service, you will find a 100 with zero issues. Those 100 will not keep highlighting their experiences everywhere!.

For the ad, that was quite a witty one . Equally good response from Hyundai .

There was nothing derogatory in it. Adds masala to commercials.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the rivalry between Altroz and new i20 is nothing when compared to the rivalry between pro-Tata and anti-Tata BHPians here.

Chill guys!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

My friend wanted to buy a Nexon/Altroz diesel. He has been unable to find a test drive car inspite of visiting 3 dealerships.

He has simply given up on TATA now ( In spite of owning 3 Tata cars till now ).
Altroz has not been selling well and this AD for me shows TATA's insecurity.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:29   #40
BHPian

Reminds me of the time when all the airlines got together during the lockdown and shared some online banter. Would love for MSIL, Honda and Toyota to join the fun as well.

Source : hindustantimes
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-screenshot_20201104132658_chrome.jpg  

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-screenshot_20201104132716_chrome.jpg  

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-screenshot_20201104132726_chrome.jpg  

armaan_singh is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
My fellow compatriot, before taking offense at anything it would be advisable to be fully knowledgeable about it.

It is this slave mentality, americanisation and white worshipping is what I detest. We have Rupees "rs" sign, but even educated people use "$" sign in context of money. We are in India and using these terms talking to fellow Indians, does this not show a decline in morality and moreso, appropriating terms to feign some superiority amongst our own? Furthermore, according to new prevalent norms, celebration of Halloween in India might be a "cultural appropriation" and such has been deemed wrong by a very vocal and influential section of "intelligesia".
. First China (MG), now America. This kind of uber patriotism isnt going to get us anywhere.
If we have to debate this, let's open a thread in the non-auto section.
fhdowntheline is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 14:46   #42
BHPian

I love the friendly banters that TATA brings in occasionally.

It is not necessary to match the sales number to qualify for pitching against the competitor IMHO.

Let each of them fight with their on strengths, eventually the success will come for the deserved. Way to go TATA.
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 15:16   #43
BHPian

Loved the way both TATA and Hyundai played the banter game without crossing the limit making it enjoyable.

The automobile industry is heavily competitive and some brands use competitive advertising through which they used to poke the rivals. Ask BMW and Audi who took this battle very seriously. BMW even got in a tussle with Mercedes Benz.

We have seen this kind of witty battle in other fields also like Mac v/s PC, Samsung v/s Apple, Wendy’s v/s Burger King and McDonald’s.

Game on TATA.
Deadpool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:02   #44
BHPian

Well well well. I was owner for Hyundai i10 for 8 years as it was my first car. Just purely on basis of people's suggestion, bought i10. The sales and service team sound polite but otherside of that behaviour is high service cost, part replacement cost during every service interval.
Went on few trips to Srisailam only and never enjoyed the driving.
Sold it in quikr and then jumped to Tata, despite people scaring me about service issues. I was highly impressed with Bolt Petrol driveability and my family loved the car, its comfort and built quality. With Bolt we happily completed many long trips to Tirupati , Shirdi, Ooty without any issues.
I totally agree with that ad, its definitely trick from Hyundai but absolutely great from Tata.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th November 2020 at 04:19. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please
Rama Naveen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 16:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Would love to see the Baleno’s and Glanza’s reaction!
Well, I can think of one:

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-diwali-maruti.jpg

I would've dropped the wannabe part. But let's keep it edgy since nobody's pulling any punches here. On and #patriotismsells

Last edited by Tassem : 4th November 2020 at 16:34.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks