Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 16:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

Well, people love to bash Tata, don't they?

Personally, I have had cars from Maruti, Hyundai, Honda, Tata and so I know what I am talking about - Tata service and service costs easily trumps everyone else by a far margin.

But the desire for phoren-maal (imported stuff) and phoren-brands is so strong in us that Tata ends up getting a lot of hate.

Tata makes solid VFM cars, gives good warranties, offers really reasonable service and spare costs, but loses out on the image factor. Matters for folks for whom such brand imagery is important, more than the product-service itself.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
My fellow compatriot, before taking offense at anything it would be advisable to be fully knowledgeable about it. Halloween is not a christian religious festival but a American specific celebration.
Next you will be taking offence to people buying Dell or Apple computers instead of HCL / Wipro (if they still manufacture any of this) or kids eating Hersheys chocolates.

What is the harm if people have fun outside the same old festivals they have been celebrating for centuries? Why be a spoil sport?

Also can we please stay on topic for this thread, thank you.
hserus is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Getting offended is our national hobby. I'm not surprised people are offended at 1) A "lesser" manufacturer taking a dig at "better" manufacturer (apparently). 2) Using Halloween instead of Diwali.

Would reactions have been different if it was Ford instead of Tata? I bet yes.
Why does Tata have to act like a responsible elder son who takes all the sh*t at family function and still carries on with a smile on his face? Tata is as good if not better car company than Hyundai and absolutely deserves to have a little fun. Now only if we didn't scoff at everything and expected elder son to act serious all the time.
amol4184 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:29   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It is this slave mentality, americanisation and white worshipping is what I detest.
I think you are taking patriotism a little too seriously. Celebrating new festivals has nothing to do with patriotism. It is just that retailers, manufacturers and ad agencies are trying to come up with newer options for the people to celebrate and push for sales. It is all marketing, the earlier we realise this, the better for us.
BlackPearl is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
It is this slave mentality, americanisation and white worshipping is what I detest. We have Rupees "rs" sign, but even educated people use "$" sign in context of money. We have started using "million" when we already have "lacs" and a far superior number system.
There is a pattern here which has been ignored largely but it will emerge. Let us hope that we do not become a mitochondria engulfed by an alien cell. Furthermore, according to new prevalent norms, celebration of Halloween in India might be a "cultural appropriation" and such has been deemed wrong by a very vocal and influential section of "intelligesia".
I feel you have taken the original topic / content out of context to give it a high morale patriotic colour.

Halloween reference is not a grave crime for someone to be hammered with all these very severe, Slave mentality / Americanisation / White worshipping allegations.

Last edited by Sree73 : 4th November 2020 at 17:55.
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:41   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like some of us don't approve of "halloween" occasion being recognised here. I would have loved to agree to it, until I realised "New Year" on January 1st every year is as foreign an occasion as the Halloween.

Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th November 2020 at 17:46.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd595 View Post
The advertisement is hilarious IMHO. Reminds me of the old Tata Manza advertisementhttp://Youtu.be/9RVPQ-6uRm8 .
I am late to reading this thread but thanks for this post. It was extremely catchy those days. One wasn't used to seeing a lot of direct references those days and according to me it was a bold one!
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 18:24   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is this slave mentality, americanisation and white worshipping is what I detest. We have Rupees "rs" sign, but even educated people use "$" sign in context of money. We have started using "million" when we already have "lacs" and a far superior number system. Few have even started using american decimal system where they use (00,000,000) while we use (00,00,00) and not to forget you can see the use of periods
Entertaining post and you're fully entitled to your views and I'm also sure a majority would agree with them, however, try as hard as you might, escaping American pop lore/terminology/mythology/euphemisms etc are near impossible, the very internet you're using was invented by Americans, as was the laptop, as are about 90% of things we use on a day-to-day basis, same with movies, music etc.. the sad fact is that even if we combine the entire world's contribution, multiply it by 100, it still won't touch 1% of North America's inventions. I happen to know the origins of halloween as well, almost any festival has an origin point mired in controversy, same with Saturnalia celebrated on December 25th which was a festival of debauchery. Let's just chalk it down to the fact that light needs darkness to exist and good needs evil to exist.. however it is your own choice as to what you follow and do not follow, no one will interfere with it one bit.

As for the ad, TATA too, is free to aspire to beat the creators of the segment (Hyundai started it with Getz and first gen i20), it would appear that they are signalling their intention to grow in the segment and while it won't be a reality now, it will start showing when subsequent face-lifts of Altroz come out, even Hyundai took a few swings at unstoppable mass-market leader Maruti when coming out with Santro and Getz, taking aim at Wagon-R and Swift respectively, now they are dangerously close to taking one of the top 4 spots, though Maruti is still the leader by a healthy margin.

I think all BHPians should respect other's opinions without taking them too seriously, supporting Altroz doesn't mean i20 is bad or vice versa. At the end of the day sales figures will be the real indicator and we all know how every time popular opinions here have been flipped upside down by sales.
dark.knight is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:18   #54
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Local vs International and pointing fingers aside, Altroz is a fantastic hatch and in my opinion (in my opinion) better than the last gen i20. Driving dynamics was better than the koreans. However, at this point, I'd wish that they'd stop making memes and actually work on that DCT they were planning to slap onto the Altroz.
Old 4th November 2020, 21:16   #55
BHPian

I hope everyone knows each company has 10s and 100s of different departments. Gearbox or engine testing department is not aware of what PR or marketing team will be doing with the product, and vis versa.
Gearbox development will take its own time and deliver when it is ready. New features or deleting features is done by other team and cost to profit margins are calculated. PR and marketing team is doing their job.
Its not 1 team or 10 people working on 1 product. Rather 10 teams with multiple of 100 people working on such things.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 22:03   #56
BHPian

Just to cheer this thread up.

Tata can very well have fun with others as much as they want to and they have every right to do so. Why are we forgetting that Tata gave us wonderful memories with cars like Sierra, Estate, Sumo, Safari and Indica.
I dare say that they created a unique segment which was much more ahead of its time as compared to other rivals. Innovas and Cretas are ruling the streets now. Tatas ruled the streets a decade back with Safari and Sumo.

I would even say that Tata dared to enter unknown segments much earlier. Yes they failed but they were excellent teachers for other brands who planned to expand in India. It made the brands like Hyundai to learn from their mistakes and improvise.

Even now Tata is daring to enter an unknown segment and that segment is called as SAFETY. And I hope that Tata don't fail this time in this segment. If it fails now, then it will more be our loss than theirs.

I also like the way Hyundai took this sportingly.

Tata, have fun. You deserve it.
DrCar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 01:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Witty ad campaign here. I like this friendly humor and encourage it as long as certain boundaries aren't crossed.

BHPians, request you not to boil the ocean. We don't need to discuss patriotism & Haloween vs Diwali. There are other threads to discuss Tata ASS/Sales/Reliability/Safety etc.

Chill out!
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 05:00   #58
BHPian

If you check the time stamps, it looks like Hyundai's is the original tweet (10:18 AM, 31.10.2020) and Tata quickly took a dig at them (10:38 AM, 31.10.2020).

Having said the above, Tata(or any other brand for that matter) have every right to engage in some friendly banter whether we think their product is good enough or not. Let's loosen up a bit, shall we?

Last edited by octane_100 : 5th November 2020 at 05:01. Reason: corrected typo
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 07:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is anything sly in the Altroz ad. Advertisement duels liven up things. Even recently, android mobile phone makers took a dig at iPhone 12 for not including charger in the box.

I remember Coca Cola Vs Pepsi ad duels during a cricket world cup.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 11:42   #60
BHPian

I like it.. its fun healthy competition and its fair.. as long as they is no misrepresentation of facts it fine.

BMW, Audi and Mercedes do this a lot.

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-bmwvsaudi5.jpg
F1-Addict is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks