Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 14:28   #106
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20

I am loving these ad's from TATA boasting the Safety of their cars. The way they are conveying the importance of safe cars by taking a cheeky dig at their rivals is awesome
IMHO Maruti or Hyundai (some models) for that matter should take a leaf out of TATA's book and its high time they produce the cars with good Safety and build quality.
Senna_sempre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 15:55   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
The i20 you are driving is NOT Euro NCAP 5-star rated. The one sold in Europe is.
The earlier generation models were Made in India, for exports to the European markets. Hence my reason to believe that the car is a 5 star rated model. It even came with a sticker flaunting it's 5 stars.

Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20-hyundaii20ncap.jpg

The kerb weight of the vehicle tested by Euro-NCAP was 1035kg, and if I were to go by https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...i20specs01.jpg, all models sold in India weighed more than that, strange.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make was something entirely else, and really had nothing to do with the i20. Peace.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 18:59   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post

That's not saying that manufactures should skimp on safety equipment, but is GNCAP even a good measure to validate a car's crash worthiness? Not every car accident is a head-on collision. Would the Tata still score 5 stars if it were to be evaluated by Euro-NCAP?

Although, god forbid, if I were to be involved in a crash, I'd prefer to be driving a TATA.
Yes it certainly is a good measure of a cars safety as far as our market, which is filled with tincans, is concerned, a very good measure, I would like to believe. Yes it may not be as stringent as euroncap but you gotta start somewhere. Imagine if gncap didn't exist, there would be zero awareness among the common public about tincans.

I'd much rather be inside a car which scored 5 stars in a test ( regardless of whether it is gncap or whatever ) rather than one which gives me 56 kmpl or has a 50 inch infotainment system inside, and if cheeky adverts like this serve the purpose of raising awareness among the aam aadmi about the dangerous death trap cars some manufacturers sell, then so be it.

Unrelated to your reply -- I cannot post two replies at the same time--
This is what I ABSOLUTELY HATE about our car buying public. Every action Tata makes, every move, every reaction needs to be continuously scrutinised 24/7, 365 days. If it was kia or some other brand advertising their advanced air purifier or 4k touchscreen, nobody would care, but it is cheap and 3rd rate when Tata does it. Some people's opinion is that they should just remain in the corner of the market, undeserving of any sort of acknowledgement.

But the good news is that, leave most of team bhp ( who have always been unbiased as much as they can and I respect tbhp for that ), even the normal relatively biased car buyer is being more aware and has started to appreciate Tatas effort in making safe cars for the common man, and there's absolutely nothing the haters can do about that apart from watch in frustration.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th February 2021 at 19:26.
SaiSW is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:13   #109
BHPian

Am all for Tata highlighting their superior GNCAP rating against its competitors. Thought this ad was nciely executed and sends across the message perfectly. Good job TaMo!
abhii176 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:43   #110
BHPian

The ad is cheeky, subtle and in good taste. Well done Tata.

I have observed a lot of the public asking for safety rating Vs a few years back. People are not afraid to look beyond Maruti. Some people flatly reject Maruti due to the perceptions. When some one asks me on a car purchase decision, I have to emphasize that The Brezza and Scross are good cars with decent safety.

Hope Maruti and Hyundai don't go so far that it becomes impossible to change perception of them being unsafe.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 15:34   #111
BHPian

Funny attempt from TAMO to drive the point beautifully. If you have a 5-star rating why not flaunt it!
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 17:25   #112
BHPian

Taking a neutral look here - Tata completely deserves to display their efforts towards safety and show it off to the world to create awareness.

Contrary view would be the quality issues - I have personally faced issues with the Nano such as the passenger door randomly jamming, etc. We also read about the recent harrier incident where the fuel tank bolt fell off = not safe.

Less safer cars or less reliable cars??

Which is the lesser evil here and what is the tipping point ??
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 18:04   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
Taking a neutral look here - Tata completely deserves to display their efforts towards safety and show it off to the world to create awareness.

Contrary view would be the quality issues - I
If quality issues are a concern (a genuine one at that), you may have to consider Hyundai even more than a Tata. The brake failure issues, paint peeling issues, pulley breaking issue, steering issues etc. concerns more than any other issues as these issues are related to the very basic things in a car. We had 'Hyundai is the new Honda' slogans even in our forum too. I am not advocating Tata is GOD in quality, but this is one company which has shown us what determination can yield. Hence I do have belief in this company, that in near future they will aquire the art of creating a niggle-less product.

Last edited by pavi : 16th February 2021 at 18:07.
pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 18:46   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
If quality issues are a concern (a genuine one at that), you may have to consider Hyundai even more than a Tata
In my opinion I am no less proponent of Tata and more so because I have already put my money in place of the mouth. Also I have been drooling over the Harrier from day 1 and figuring out what I should do to afford it one day.

Having said this, I would not like to be stranded on a highway with family and left at the mercy of highway elements for hours. This vs an accident is probably more disastrous. Hence my question of which is the lesser evil?

Hyundai deserves a bashing for its quality lapses but from a buying perspective - which car fails lesser per million units sold(or lakh units/10k units sold if they don't have so much sales)?
Old 16th February 2021, 19:10   #115
BHPian

Just loving it. Eventually its a health competition and a win for customers. If competitors take it seriously, build qualities across brands can be way better than what we see.
Old 17th February 2021, 08:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

I hope this really shames the rival companies who take safety lightly. Tata has some really skilled people working in ads, each of their new ads makes me chuckle.

Tata should really invest in a petrol AT to get a larger market share.
Old 17th February 2021, 11:06   #117
BHPian

I like how Tata turned up as a fierce contender in the actual car market and being an active advocate for safer cars. They do have many issues (QC, fit and finish) but I'm sure these will be issues of the past in few years considering the effort being put to address these.

But, I have never liked new Tata ads. IMO they had nicer ads in the past than nowadays. This feels more like Samsung's ad against iPhone and trying to prove they have better stuff. It does feel like cheap shot to me, but it is just my opinion.
Old 17th February 2021, 13:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
1.I hope this really shames the rival companies who take safety lightly. Tata has some really skilled people working in ads, each of their new ads makes me chuckle.

2.Tata should really invest in a petrol AT to get a larger market share.
To 1 and 2, yes and yes. They need to look beyond AMT. I would prefer TC/CVT. Not DCT. As it is DCTs generally have reliability issues and any DCT malfunction would reflect more on Tata than on DCT maker, given the propensity of people to jump at Tata at slightest issue. As for new i20, TaMo need not worry that much, I guess, because unlike its previous avatar, the new i20 looks slow-seller. To date, I saw just half a dozen on road. That's a pretty low number for a Hyundai hatchback launched several months back. Venue is stealing i20's thunder.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:40   #119
BHPian

All this is done in the right spirit and much needed for competitors to buck up and make safety a priority. But I find it a bit disappointing that Tata has not tested their higher priced cars like Harrier (or earlier ones like the Hexa). Would be good to see that. But kudos to them for atleast testing out some of their cars.
Old 1st March 2021, 17:28   #120

Re: Tata Motors takes a dig at both I20 & Baleno regarding their crash worthiness in a new video

Quote:
Originally Posted by omprakashp View Post
My Aunt booked a Maruti last week (the zero safety rating one). I told her excellent choice, great car, good bells and whistles except that whenever her sons are out driving it, she will be worried that its unsafe in a crash.

They cancelled the booking yesterday, increased their budget a tad and have booked a Tigao LE today.
The Tiago came home on Friday. On hearing the story of buying largely based on safety rating the dealership asked my aunt to record a video explaining her decision making, they apparently plan to use it for local customer communication.

Overall dealership experience at Shankar Motors, Patna was good.
omprakashp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks