Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh

Mercedes-Benz has launched the AMG GLC 43 Coupe priced at Rs. 76.70 lakh (ex-showroom, India). It is the first AMG model to be assembled using completely knocked down (CKD) kits in India.

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh-image.mq6.0.20201103062230.jpeg

The AMG GLC 43 Coupe is a high-performance version of the regular GLC Coupe. To differentiate it from the non-AMG version, Mercedes has given it a sportier body kit with the Panamericana grille, 20-inch, 5-spoke alloy wheels and quad-exhausts.

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh-image.mq6.0.20201102143128.jpeg

On the inside, the SUV gets a flat-bottom steering wheel, sports seats wrapped in black Artico leather with red contrast stitching, 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a 10.25-inch touchscreen head-unit with the MBUX infotainment system.

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh-image.mq6.0.20201027063443.jpeg

The AMG GLC 43 Coupe is powered by a 3.0-liter, twin-turbo V6 petrol engine that produces 382 BHP and 520 Nm. The car comes with a 9-speed automatic transmission and has all-wheel drive. Mercedes claims it will do 0-100 km/h in 4.9 seconds and has a top speed of 250 km/h.

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh-image.mq6.0.20201027063213.jpeg

The Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe is available in 6 colour options - Obsidian Black, Brilliant Blue, Graphite Grey, Polar White, designo Hyacinth Red, and designo Selenite Grey Magno.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd November 2020 at 13:42.
TusharK is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh

Well BMW launched the X3 M at Rs99.90L and today Mercedes launches the AMG GLC 43 Coupe at Rs76.70L; that's quite a massive difference in prices but if I had the money it would be the X3 hands down! Reasons AMG 43 is not a AMG 63, the AMG is a coupe so some practically lost and then BMW's engine!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:45   #3
BHPian

Much more of a head turner than the X3M and will sell loads more.
AnandB is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 Coupe launched at Rs. 76.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Well BMW launched the X3 M at Rs99.90L and today Mercedes launches the AMG GLC 43 Coupe at Rs76.70L; that's quite a massive difference in prices but if I had the money it would be the X3 hands down! Reasons AMG 43 is not a AMG 63, the AMG is a coupe so some practically lost and then BMW's engine!

Whether it is 23 lakhs of practicality (ex showroom so more on road) is of course personal and debatable. In my view, no, the mercedes in this case makes more sense. If I had to pick a 1 crore bmw, I would any day pick the X5 over this X3.

EDIT: apologies, I just rechecked the vital stats of the 3.0 litre X3 (Bhp and torque). There is clear daylight difference in its numbers over the AMG. I guess these will just cater to two clearly distinct budget points. Having said that, it is still a LOT of grunt that the AMG offers and might just move bigger nos i feel just by its price point. The X3 might lose some of its no's to the bigger 3.0 diesel X5 and some no's to the cheaper AMG at the other end.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd November 2020 at 14:58.
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good job once again MBIL, pricing is pretty damn good!
I guess India is the first location besides Germany to now manufacture AMG models, albeit in CKD form.

Kudos to the management for taking bold moves like this. Getting the LWB E was a game changer and I hope this gamble of AMG CKD also pays off.

A small but significant first is that the Magno paint is now available in India for a CKD for the first time. I hope this leads to more models coming up with this matte paint finish in different colors. Although I hope they restrict it to sportier models such as AMGs and AMG Lines

So what's expected next? I am pretty sure they will get the A35 and GLE 53 AMG models in next.
However, I would really to impressed if they get the full blown v8 63 AMG models of the C and E in CKD form. While these engines are hand built in Germany, I am sure a CKD assembly is possible if the engine is fully imported in.
This maybe wishful thinking but MBIL has full-filled a lot of such wishes !

Last edited by Sahil : 3rd November 2020 at 16:27.
Sahil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 01:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Much more of a head turner than the X3M and will sell loads more.
I agree, for people looking to make a statement, the GLC43 shall suffice and will sell in decent numbers but for someone who truly appreciates driving and knows his cars - the X3M is the best all around sports SUV in our market in this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

The X3 might lose some of its no's to the bigger 3.0 diesel X5 and some no's to the cheaper AMG at the other end.
I doubt anyone shopping for the X3M will be crossshoping with the X5 diesel, the X540i petrol maybe if they don't want outright performance and the new gen BMW interior and goodies available on the X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A small but significant first is that the Magno paint is now available in India for a CKD for the first time. I hope this leads to more models coming up with this matte paint finish in different colors. Although I hope they restrict it to sportier models such as AMGs and AMG Lines

So what's expected next? I am pretty sure they will get the A35 and GLE 53 AMG models in next.
However, I would really to impressed if they get the full blown v8 63 AMG models of the C and E in CKD form. While these engines are hand built in Germany, I am sure a CKD assembly is possible if the engine is fully imported in.
The pricing is good not great IMO, they could have easily priced this at 70-72L but i guess they didn't want to undercut the C43 coupe(CBU). Love that they added the Magno paint option, have seen it on a couple of E63s and it looks Mega!

The GLE53 is already launched, unless you're referring to its CKD assembly. As for the 63 models being assembled here - i doubt they'll ever do that unless the fake AMG's(43/53s) make a strong sales chart rationale and MBIL starts thinking. Wishful thinking but hey my fingers are crossed
991.2GT3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 02:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:

This maybe wishful thinking but MBIL has full-filled a lot of such wishes !
I really doubt that bigger AMG would be assembled here because we won't have numbers to justify even after lower tax bracket.
Old 4th November 2020, 08:31   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good job once again MBIL, pricing is pretty damn good!
I guess India is the first location besides Germany to now manufacture AMG models, albeit in CKD form.
Err, that prize goes to Thailand, they have been assembling AMG GLE coupes for a while
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:39   #9
BHPian

This pricing really makes a case for prospective GLE buyers to either spend a little more or save a little (depending on variant) and get an AMG. I'm curious to see how affordable MBIL can make entry level AMGs such as the C43 and A35 in India, maybe people who would have spent on a top spec BMW make the jump to AMG in the name of perfomance?
Old 4th November 2020, 12:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991.2GT3 View Post

The pricing is good not great IMO, they could have easily priced this at 70-72L but i guess they didn't want to undercut the C43 coupe(CBU). Love that they added the Magno paint option, have seen it on a couple of E63s and it looks Mega!

The GLE53 is already launched, unless you're referring to its CKD assembly.:
The price is good, not great. Ideally at 69.90L pricing would have been a cracker. C43 should be down to 65L to get these models really moving.

However, I am pretty certain that by next year this time the effective price would be around that after discounts.

Yes, I did mean CKD of the GLE 53. This has a lot more potential and bringing the price down to 99.90L at par with the X3 M would make it a winner.
Discounted GLE43 AMGs were going for 70-75 last year this time.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe

The Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe is on sale in India at a price of Rs. 81.54 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe Pros

• Practical package which feels sporty
• Loaded with tech, MBUX infotainment, multibeam LED lights, etc.
• A good all in one package to cater to many needs
• Nice sound from even the stock exhaust

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe Cons

• Interiors are somewhat cramped for the price
• Some parts feel cheap for an AMG, like the artificial leather
• Gearbox does get confused at lower speeds
• Matte paint (optional) takes away from the practicality of the car by being more delicate

Last edited by GTO : 6th May 2021 at 07:01.
Akshay1234 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe Exterior Review

The facelift GLC 43 really does look aggressive from the front, with the larger air dams, and the GT-R style grille which has made its way to all the newer AMGs:

The side profile of the Coupe-SUV remains the same, and it certainly manages to get a fair bit of attention on the road thanks to this:

The rearwards view is again similar to the pre-facelift, except for changes in the bumper which gets an aggressive diffuser, and of course the tail lights with their new design:

New headlights with differently shaped DRLs and the multibeam LED headlights which do an excellent job of lighting up the road, and also perform a cool start-up sequence:

20" wheels with a new design, which suits the vehicle well. It rides on 45 profile tyres, which actually ride better than one may expect:

Tail lights with new patterns internally looks unique with the 2 trapezoidal parking lamps on each side:

Last edited by Aditya : 7th April 2021 at 10:49.
Akshay1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:48   #13
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe Interior Review

The driver's cockpit, with the new shape steering wheel and the MBUX screen. Its tech loaded to the max, along with the new instrument cluster. The matte wood trim looks out of place completely, and something like aluminium would have been better:

All too familiar controls, and its nice to see seat memory buttons (thank you Mercedes). Note the Burmester speaker grille - while the clarity is good in the music system, I didn't find anything exceptional about it. I feel BMW's HK system blows this one away:

The interiors are pretty much the same as the facelift GLC, apart from the better-bolstered seats, red seatbelts and the black colour used:

Front seats are comfortable and supportive, even for a person on the taller side like me. The man-made leather with the Alcantara type material is great to look at, but I wish real leather was used instead. The red contrast stitching adds to the appeal:

The rear section. One does feel a little hemmed in here. Its cramped for taller people in terms of headroom, while legroom is just average:

The shallow boot is quite lengthy but limits how much space one can use because of the height available at the rear end:

Last edited by Aditya : 7th April 2021 at 10:50.
Akshay1234 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 10:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 4MATIC Coupe 3.0L Petrol AT Review

The GLC 43 continues to use the 3.0L V6 turbocharged engine which we've seen in various other applications, but in this guise, its been updated to 390 BHP and 520 Nm. Its a slight bump up from before, and a fair bit over the regular 400s. The M276 engine packs in quite a punch, and sounds great, but doesn't feel as wild as a proper AMG engine.

On startup, the GLC 43 gives out a nice mini roar, which is slightly improved when one holds one of the paddles while starting, for what Mercedes calls Emotion Start. It blips the rpm a bit more while starting, and opens the exhaust valves.

While moving around in city traffic, there is enough torque low down for the 9G gearbox to upshift early. And it feels relaxed just cruising about at slow speeds too. Fuel economy (for those who care) seemed to hover around 4.5-6 km/l in the city depending on how its pushed. The 43s are meant to be slightly toned down AMGs, which can be used daily. And I believe they truly are useable daily and practical, with additional drama and emotion over the regular Mercedes cars. But yet, not as hardcore as the 53s or 63s, or maybe even the 45s.

What I did notice though is that in comfort mode, while pottering about town, the moment we try and hustle the car a little bit, close gaps to make an overtake, etc., the 9G gearbox seems to feel a little confused, always changing gears and keeping the car out of the torque band. While this is far reduced in sport modes, this could have certainly been improved. I didn't really feel this in some other cars I drove with the 9G gearbox, maybe this engine just had a bit more turbo lag, which pronounced this effect.

As soon as one puts their foot down though, there is a fair bit of exhaust sound, and some nice pops and bangs (very addictive in sports mode actually), and the car really moves! With the 4MATIC all-wheel drive, the GLC sticks to the road without any traction issues and just puts the power down. The claimed time to 100 km/h is 4.9 seconds, and it seems easily achievable. And that is no mean feat for a semi SUV / Coupe vehicle. Higher speeds too are reached easily, and its sometimes surprising to see what silly speeds you crossed without even realizing. It can give one a proper fun time, with the good acceleration, the sound of the exhaust, and even the sporty bits and bobs added all over. And in Sport+ or manual mode, the gearbox suddenly goes from confused and dare I say - lazy, to a sporty, quick-shifting box with a loud 'PHAT' sound and a small whack in the back everytime there is an upshift. At times like these, it does give you some glimpses of a true AMG.

The GLC 43 uses Airmatic suspension on all 4 corners, with adaptive damping and height adjustments. It has a raise mode too, for when extra clearance is needed, not that the clearance in standard modes lead to any scrapes or touches anywhere. With the 20" wheels, it is just the right amount of stiff and supple, for what this vehicle is meant to be. Small and medium bumps are flattened easily, but there is lateral body movement which is more pronounced over rougher road surfaces. Its not one of those cushy air suspensions. I was surprised that we were riding on 20s to be honest, with how it was taking the bumpy roads. And the ride flattens well at highway speeds. Handling is again predictable, and the GLC holds its line without breaking a sweat, even at autobahn speeds. The steering is not the most communicative, but it offers enough feedback to push the car through corners and enjoy it. Stability is very good, and it gets into its own on highways. Distances are covered quickly and the speed is masked very well (until the annoying 80/120 km/h beeps start).

No complaints on the braking front either. There is enough stopping power to quickly bring down speeds, and we didn't really feel any fade or loss in braking performance even after pushing the GLC some distance. AMGs are known for their powerful brakes, and this is no different.

All in all, its a great overall package. Its great for a buyer looking to fulfil many needs with a single car.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th April 2021 at 10:50.
Akshay1234 is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:11   #15
BHPian

It's disappointing to see the heated seats instead of cooling seats. Ideally, both the options should've been provided at this price point. GLC 43 AMG is a CKD now, so I expected the Indian division of Mercedes-Benz to take care of this.

It's equipped with a regular sunroof instead of a panoramic unit. When the cheaper GLC 200 and X4 Coupe are equipped with the larger sunroof, I expected the same in this car.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th May 2021 at 06:57. Reason: As requested
romil.shroff is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed