Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2020, 13:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Are you a fan of horror ? Looks may be subjective but your description sounds unnecessarily morbid.
I am a Product Guy and also as an Auto enthusiast I try to observe lot of things which normal people can't and I have found that these observations are not just feelings but based on user interviews/questions. 1 important analysis I have done is how our subconscious mind effects our Car selection process even when we are not aware that it is effecting us (helping or not-helping is different debate though). Our culture also effects lot here. Some of these observations are as follows:

# Models name with acronyms have less chance to get success because people does not feel attachment with it. For example, SX4, CRV, BRV etc. As opposite to it, people like to speak English (or English equivalent eastern and westerns names like Mercedes, Audi, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai) a lot. Also Pure Spanish (Alturas, Marazzo etc.) and Pure korean names should be avoided (SsangYong, Tivoli etc.). So while naming a car model, these things should be kept in mind. For higher income people, this does not matter much like Audi, BMW, MB buyers.

MG played big gamble by launching brand as "MG" because "Morris Garage" would even look disappointing to speak, so they continued with MG and renamed model 530 -> Hector (English) and also advertised as British brand and it worked, apart from building good product with good service and good marketing.

# We all know that front face of a car plays big role in selection and attachment so good design language has to be adopted which is well accepted by target buyers. Hence in India, Oval shapes or curves in head and tail lamps should be avoided (1st gen Amaze, SX4, Xylo, Micra). Indian people like angular shapes more preferably horizontal and vertical lines. Also chrome must be used in sizable manner.

# It is ok to use animal based themes in design language but those animals/birds should be people loving and excessive usage should be avoided. People like cheetah (XUV500), Jaguar (most of models), Dolphin (Honda City) but not Sharks (Marazzo) etc.

# Excessive usage of Red-ism in tail lamps/boot should be avoided specially those shapes which resembles weapons (Eon, Marazzo etc.) or unwelcome shapes (Petrol pump Nozzle shape in XUV300, White Dog bone like shape in Nexon).

In developing countries, 70% car buyers see road presence of a car (just after budget finalization), and once they like it, they get it to satisfy that desire. Only remaining 30% go deep into various road testing, feature and price comparison to select a proper car.

Of course above are not like deal breaker points every-time, but they play important role for most of buyers because they are not knowledgeable and technical.
arzala is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo petrol spotted testing

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-smartselect_20210102113906_chrome.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-smartselect_20210102113920_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo petrol spotted testing in Chennai

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-smartselect_20210122203106_instagram.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-smartselect_20210122203114_instagram.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-smartselect_20210122203123_instagram.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Marazzo Diesel AMT homologated, launch soon.

Scoop! Mahindra Marazzo Automatic spied-b9ee16dfa49942219f3b50c6cde6a707.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 08:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why Mahindra is hell-bent on AMT for Marazzo and XUV300 when they have excelled AT torque convertors for Thar, XUV500, and upcoming Scorpio. The game has moved on. Hyundai, Kia, and Nissan have brought excellent AT transmissions to 10-12 lakh price points too. Ertiga/XL6 also has a torque convertor automatic even though 4 speed. An AMT simply will not sell at this point in India. And TUV AMT fiasco has ruined any chances of a Mahindra AMT being popular.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 12th February 2021 at 08:57.
padmrajravi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 09:20   #21
BHPian

Just checked the pricing of XL6 Petrol AT , ZETA variant retails at 11.2 , ALPHA at 11.70 lakhs ex.showroom.

MARAZZO M2 diesel starts at 11.64 Lakhs , looks like MARAZZO diesel AMT will debut at 12 .00 Lakhs ex.showroom .

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 12th February 2021 at 09:21.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 11:53   #22
BHPian

Has "DUD" written all over it!!

It's as if M&M is launching automatic variants just cause it has AMT kits lying around & has to sell them.
A proper Torque Convertor is what the Marazzo needs. Although, I don't think even that can revive the Marazzo. Pity, as otherwise its quite a competent car.

Powertrain
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

This makes me think M&M wants to concentrate only on XUV5OO and the Thar. 1.5L diesel was already considered "adequate", AMT can make it much worse.
Old 12th February 2021, 13:26   #24
BHPian

I haven't test driven the Marazzo yet, or been a passenger in it for a substantial amount of time, but I still like the vehicle.

On that note, I find it incredibly absurd that Mahindra is not employing a 6-speed torque converter-based AT for the diesel variant, especially since the torque converter's torque multiplying effect will suit the vehicle for its intended applications.
Old 12th February 2021, 13:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Could it be possible that the 1.5L diesel has a limitation (eg: space constraints) that prevents it from getting a torque converter, hence the AMTs?

OR

Mahindra doesn’t want to spend money to mate the 1.5L diesel with a torque converter at the moment so that they can concentrate on the XUV500 and Scorpio?

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 12th February 2021 at 13:28.
Old 12th February 2021, 15:12   #26
BHPian

Other than the rear oddball styling it is a competent car. Hope Mahindra can add 4 more airbags to what is otherwise quite a safe car. It has good space, comfort and a decent suspension.
With Innova having already vacated the below 20L space a diesel automatic even with the AMT at an attractive price should find takers. It will do well for Mahindra to try and get the TC box with the Marazzo.
But i would personally care for more safety features than performance and if they can tune the AMT to be nearly as smooth as the TC for an attractive price it should find appeal. I for one, would use the Marazzo 95% chauffeur driven and dont want him exceeding 100-110kmph and would care more for a smooth tuning for the auto-box than a powerful one.

I am on the lookout for a comfortable chauffeur driven car around 25L and my only two options are Safari then Innova. I would really like it if the Marazzo AMT introduces a top version with 6 airbags. At a 5-6L lesser price than Safari it would be a great choice. Somehow Hector Plus doesnt feel solid enough on the highway though its an otherwise good car.

Last edited by spkrnh : 12th February 2021 at 15:20.
Old 12th February 2021, 15:32   #27
BHPian

Hope Mahindra has tested the AMT well and learned lessons from the disastrous AMT on TUV300. Marazzo is reliable niggle free car. Hope they don't ruin the reputation of the car with an un-reliable AMT.
Old 13th February 2021, 02:55   #28
BHPian

I think the 1.5 diesel automatic (AMT) could be a blessing in disguise for M&M. They will be able to price it sensibly and for chauffeur driven, this will be an extremely VFM pick.

I've driven it quite a bit & found it to be a very comfortable and a rather capable van. Added to that it is very easy to drive and get used to. Also I found its 3rd row of seats to be more accommodating and comfortable than the Innova.

Looks like M&M are following this proverb - better late than never!
Old 13th February 2021, 09:21   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
They will be able to price it sensibly and for chauffeur driven, this will be an extremely VFM pick.
Those who are planning to spend most of the time in the back seat will be happy with the manual version
NICHE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 10:14   #30
BHPian

I drive a nexon AMT and I totally love the convenience of the gearbox being automated. I used to drive CVT earlier so this ain’t the best, comparatively speaking. However it is very convenient.
I am looking for an automatic 6-7 seater for long trips. This vehicle would be in contention if they can sort the AMT to work like Tata’s and can be reliable. There is nothing else available for a brand new diesel 6-7 seater automatic car in this price point.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed