Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 02:49   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts007 View Post
Pricing comparison with other premium hatchbacks from ACI.

Gone are the days when a fully loaded premium hatch will cost less than 1 Million INR. 1.3 Million INR is the new 1 Million.
Why is the Altroz diesel’s 8.95 close to the 9.50 mark while the Baleno at 8.96 is at the correct place on the graph? That’s diesel vs petrol, and appears to try and favour the Baleno. This will be the true value of the Altroz - diesel at the price of a petrol.

The new i20 is loaded, but then it is priced accordingly too. The result of offering so many features, engines, and transmissions is the price. Not unfair, but not worth it in my opinion.
VeluM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 03:50   #77
BHPian

iMT is indeed a unique and novel alternative. I searched for other cars with this feature, and I could find this - Toyota Corolla Hatchback (US market). Unlike the i20 iMT, the Corolla has an iMT switch allowing the driver to selectively turn on/off iMT. Consequently, it also has a clutch pedal-

https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/
Old 6th November 2020, 08:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Is the pricing high? Well, that depends on a few things as always.

Hatchback is one of my favorite forms for an automobile. I really cherish it - above pseudo SUVs, crossovers or even sedans in many cases. So, I wouldn't ever say a hatchback cannot cross a certain pricing threshold. I remember the furore over here when we picked up a Swift ZDi in 2011 for 7 lakhs OTR. A Maruti hatchback for so much was the question! That looks great value nowadays - but that's more to do with the extremely skewed market we have to endure over here. Anyways, pricing is always relative is what I want to say.

Let's talk about the design first. I really dig that front end and wouldn't change a thing there. I see a lot of similarities to the 2014 Fiesta, especially the lines on the bonnet and the overall shape and proportions. And that's a great place to start! The side profile too works - just needs to dechrome it. But, what doesn't work is that rear. It looks like it was chopped and that was literally the case here due to the stupid small car rule. There is a Brio vibe to it, and that's not a good thing! Besides, I am not a huge fan of that oversized taillight and the chrome strip again.

Coming to the inside, I like it. Yes, the one in the EU is definitely better with a superior instrument cluster and more analog buttons. But this is okay, Hyundai hasn't gone overboard and I like that in the interior. And it's well kitted too. The usual Hyundai cheapskating is evident though - no wash wipe in the lower variants at this premium even! Hyundai somehow puts rear wash wipe under comfort & convenience unlike most other manufacturers who puts it rightly under safety. They should have also given rear disc brakes - at least for the turbo models. As both diesel and petrol motors are very potent. For the 1.2 kappa however, one just need to roll down windows and put the hand out to catch the wind for the car to stop. There is no point in buying this car with that engine.

That brings us to the driving experience and I am very eager to drive it. Hyundai is on the right track here, the recent launches have a very predictable driving experience compared to the horror show which was the case earlier. Have they been able to take it up a notch? Is it really rewarding with a good steering, well tuned suspension et al? Hope that's the case with the recent exploits of the brand with the N and WRC etc.

But what I really worried about is the cost cutting under the skin. That has been the case with Hyundai for a few years now - ever since Hyundai stopped exporting to matured markets from India! And when a car is packed with this much kit, with so much to go wrong, I do not feel easy about it when the recent track record is very bad. As it stands now, I am more confident and comfortable about bringing the new Thar home than this i20. So, I will certainly give it time. I really hope that by pricing the car this high, Hyundai hasn't resorted to the usual cost cutting and what we are getting is an actual 'global car', even under the skin. Let's see!
deetjohn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:07   #79
BHPian

Considering that everyone is affected by COVID19, financial losses, job cuts, pay cuts etc. this pricing is over the top. I'll try to compare the prices of a few diesel cars to the Magna i20 diesel.

The XT Altroz is better equipped, rides better & has certified 5star safety. Hyundai i20 Review-altroz20201106_083640.jpg

Another option is the Freestyle with 6 airbags if you don't like Tata.
Hyundai i20 Review-freestyle20201106_081436.jpg

For Rs.50,000/- more, these 2 seem like incredible value. Both come with a basic audio system like the Magna.

Hyundai i20 Review-xuv20201106_083702.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-eco20201106_081408.jpg

For those wanting a diesel hatch the Altroz XT is an easy choice.

Hyundai have shot themselves in the foot with these prices.
John316_WRC is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

I am not too fond of the styling of the new i20. There is just too much going on and even though equipment levels are great with some first in class features, I am pretty sure I can live without them for e.g. the full digital instrument cluster looks horrendous. That apart, Hyundai has also messed up the pricing. The top end especially is very close to some of the slightly more expensive but much more accomplished rivals.

I have to say that I like the Tata Altroz's styling more than the new i20. I even like the interior presentation of the Altroz more than the i20 with a disclaimer that I havent seen them personally to judge their quality. Tata styling department is working especially well these days. Who would have thought a home grown maker would be able to outstyle the best from the rest of the world.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th November 2020 at 09:24.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:24   #81
BHPian

Love the exterior.

The interior design seems all-in-all a compromise. The horizontal slats on the door pads look utilitarian and not premium, I think it is to do with the number of places its being used at, IMO too many. Can be subtle with those details, I believe Tata is doing a better job at that.
The saving grace is the 10.4 inch screen.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:38   #82
BHPian

Being in the market to replace my aging Figo, I was eagerly waiting for this launch and must say Hyundai has disappointed. Few things are deal breakers for me

1. Limiting Turbo Petrol to iMT and DCT. For an enthusiast Turbo petrol and the manual gearbox is a perfect combination that can`t be compromised for the sake of other goodies.

2. Diesel being kept out in Asta variant is a bummer if you ask me. With the insane pricing of Top end Asta(O) diesel, for many, it will be out of the reach for sure.

All in all many including me might finally go with Altroz which now looks to be value for money offering. Tata if you are listening, get us turbo petrol in manual combi, I will be more than happy to cut the cheque.
DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

I think something like the VW Polo is likely to be affected quite a bit. I cant see how the Polo GT is a better choice than the i20. The I20 DCT has the same performance specs, is much better equipped inside and also has better safety equipment.
I really hope that TML come out with a Altroz 2.0 much like they did the Harrier 2.0, and in quick time. The only real battle is going to be between these two. Its a shame that MSIL killed off the 1.0 RS. That was their one chance at redeeming themselves as a real premium hatchback maker.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 6th November 2020 at 10:46.
Old 6th November 2020, 10:54   #84
BHPian

The pricing of the top end i20, is around 13 Lakhs OTR in Bangalore! The pricing is just a tad too much in my opinion. They could have really benefitted by challenging the polo TSI with their offering of a sub 10 lakh OTR manual turbo petrol engine.
AJ18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think something like the VW Polo is likely to be affected quite a bit. I cant see how the Polo GT is a better choice than the i20. The I20 DCT has the same performance specs, is much better equipped inside and also has better safety equipment.
Polo GT is known to be nicer to drive. While the new i20 matches/exceeds in power department, Polo is likely have considerably better in the handling department (waiting for the reviews of i20). Many (me included) still prefer the clean, elegant lines of Polo design.
I am looking to replace my i20 Asta CVT. I am curious to find out if they have sorted out the steering feel and suspension on the new car. If it feels just like the current car, I will go for the Polo highline AT.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:49   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Sense of déjà vu anyone?
Reminds me of how the 1st gen Jazz had made the i20 look so VFM and lead to it being a sales success.

No doubt the new i20 would be a sales success and be one of the top 10 sellers, but atleast for some the Altroz would seem a much more sensible option.

Tata, just bring the turbo petrol ASAP, ofcourse it is not high tech GDI, but atleast the option would be there at a lower price. Take a leaf from Magnite and offer the turbo petrol from the second base variant itself.
DCT...take your own sweet time.
Give the Nexon tune for the diesel atleast in some higher variants.
Punch a hole in the roof maybe, Altroz could well be a dark horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIS View Post
iMT is indeed a unique and novel alternative. I searched for other cars with this feature, and I could find this - Toyota Corolla Hatchback (US market). Unlike the i20 iMT, the Corolla has an iMT switch allowing the driver to selectively turn on/off iMT. Consequently, it also has a clutch pedal-
Bound to have caused confusion with the similar names.

The Toyota iMT mentioned is an ordinary manual transmission that just has a rev matching ability. So downshifts and upshifts would be a lot smoother.
First seen in the Nissan 370Z, the current Fortuner and Innova Touring Sport sold in India has this feature.

Same names, way different stuff.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIS View Post

https://www.toyota.com/corollahatchback/
The iMT in the Corolla and other Toyota vehicles (Indian Fortuner diesel MT and Innova 6-speed MT get it too) is the rev-matching feature (for smoother downshifts and upshifts) and not the same as Hyundai's iMT, which is a clutchless manual.

Only price conscious markets get AMT and clutches manuals, unless you consider some more advanced (but not advanced enough) AMT systems in sports cars of yore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I am looking to replace my i20 Asta CVT. I am curious to find out if they have sorted out the steering feel and suspension on the new car. If it feels just like the current car, I will go for the Polo highline AT.
Any particular reason why you seek to replace your current i20? I don't think it's that much of an upgrade from the 2nd gen i20 (Yours being a CVT will be on the newer side as well), unless you had skipped the Asta (O) and want the extra airbags now or you car is on lease.

Last edited by saur95 : 6th November 2020 at 12:02. Reason: Replied to Guna
saur95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Polo GT is known to be nicer to drive. While the new i20 matches/exceeds in power department, Polo is likely have considerably better in the handling department (waiting for the reviews of i20). Many (me included) still prefer the clean, elegant lines of Polo design.
I have owned the Polo GT, and sometimes I feel that some of these attributes like handling etc, are highlighted a bit more relative to the overall value proposition of the car itself. I loved the Polo GT as a well built, fast car, albeit cramped in terms of cabin space. Someone who needs a better IFE, space within the overall compact dimensions, without sacrificing on essential safety features, will go for the I20. I think the new one offers much more than the older Elite model in a lot of ways. If they bring out an I20 Active/Cross, they dont need the Venue !
Old 6th November 2020, 12:19   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
Any particular reason why you seek to replace your current i20? I don't think it's that much of an upgrade from the 2nd gen i20 (Yours being a CVT will be on the newer side as well), unless you had skipped the Asta (O) and want the extra airbags now or you car is on lease.
Idea of replacement is because I am quite unhappy with the current car (Power, ride, handling, FE (which is around 6 KMPL)...) and not really as an upgrade. Yes the car is relatively new (2 years) and that's the reason I am also considering replacing it with a preowned Polo GT as an option.
Coming back to the new i20, it will be a good replacement from my perspective as it has more power, more safety equipment, slightly bigger boot space but I am apprehensive about the old traits such as lifeless steering and jarring ride.

Last edited by Guna : 6th November 2020 at 12:21.
Old 6th November 2020, 12:51   #90
BHPian

I prefer to buy products that has an aspirational element to it. E.g. Ferrari- Racing heritage and Pedigree, Toyota- excellence and quality, Honda-Smoothest engines. I may be wrong but IMO Hyundai/Kia appears to be a cold money oriented conglomerate. Which is not comforting.

"I think Hyundai sees cars as good way to trade steel for money. Every time I was under my Hyundai, I found a new corner they cut or step they did fast." Source: Read link below

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...nd-Korean-cars

On the other hand, they also hire the best talent in the world.

Hyundai has hired Albert Biermann, Vice President Engineering BMW M Automobiles at 2018.

https://www.evo.co.uk/hyundai/202071...formed-hyundai

https://www.formtrends.com/luc-donck...ai-kia-design/

Good news is future Hyundai/Kia cars including i20s are likely going to be benchmarks in handling, suspension under Albert Biermann.

An analogy of Hyundai/Kia would be a 5 star hotel who uses a Michelin star pizza chef to get the best ratings on internet but tries to save money by substituting low quality mayo for real cheese.

Bad news is their history of brake issues, known for cutting corners where the media doesnt usually notice such as request sensor delete on passenger side, rear wiper delete, cup holders delete, the feeling of them prioritising profits ahead of everything. The big question is what if they cut corners related to safety which I believe they would not mind doing unless and until there is a huge media backlash meaning that will affect their profits.

Related to the pricing, as long as people queue up and buy I dont see Hyundai reducing their pricing. For those looking to buy the i20 kindly buy with ESP or buy other options in your budget with ESP. Z shaped led tail lights will not save your life.

Last edited by Godzilla : 6th November 2020 at 13:16.
Godzilla is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks