Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 00:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Top end 1.0 DCT is 14L+ OTR Bangalore. Damn!!! This thing is expensive
Hyundai i20 Review-d0444c8514c1450ab61298cadca1650e.jpeg

The Elite looked so much better. What happened to Hyundai? All their new models(creta,verna,i20) look so weird, specially that front grill
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Baleno weighs 865kg.
As per the reviews even the i20 is 100kgs lighter now compared to the previous gen model. That makes it ~950kgs which translates to around 87bhp/ton compared to 95bhp/ton of baleno. Hope these popular cars get crash tested by NCAP. But then no reason for Hyundai or maruti to bother as long as people make a beeline to purchase their products.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th November 2020 at 00:53.
SoumenD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 01:12   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Is that exclusive to Autocar ? None brought it online , no embargo?
Embargo was only till the time the car was launched ie. the unveil, after which I guess since the car is already in the showrooms anyone can go and test drive the car.

This new pattern of launching a car is really baffling! Sometimes features are announced followed by the unveil or vice versa, then media drives are sometimes not provided(eg:i20). This just makes it tougher to make a review, double the work is required!

Best way is conduct the media drive with an embargo before the launch, then unveil the car with all features, prices and on the same day lift the embargo so that that the prospective customer gets the required information in one shot. Unnecessarily manufacturers are complicating things for both the reviewers as well as the customers.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 7th November 2020 at 01:14.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 06:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Attachment 2077197

The Elite looked so much better. What happened to Hyundai? All their new models(creta,verna,i20) look so weird, specially that front grill

As per the reviews even the i20 is 100kgs lighter now compared to the previous gen model. That makes it ~950kgs which translates to around 87bhp/ton compared to 95bhp/ton of baleno. Hope these popular cars get crash tested by NCAP. But then no reason for Hyundai or maruti to bother as long as people make a beeline to purchase their products.
Sigh! I was following up this launch on a daily basis over the last few months. I think it's advantage Tata over the next year or so if they can crease out the imperfections in their offerings. Get the engine+transmission, coupled with a great after sales experience. Maruti, can't move away from VFM ideology, hence can't even participate in this race. Ford is sitting on sidelines with the new best friend Mahindra. Toyota is busy rebadging or crying. Kia will enter with Rio and add advantage to Korea. Honda isn't interested in Hatchback category and looks like neither are ze Germans.

Peace of mind is such a valuable thing. And Hyundai knows a thing or two, more than its peers, about it.
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 08:27   #109
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Media drive of the all new i20 starts today.

Hyundai i20 Review-5b0432b0b7b44f31b4e9986484944e12.jpeg

Hope we can expect a quick first drive review here on Team-BHP.

Last edited by Striker : 7th November 2020 at 08:28.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 08:30   #110
Senior - BHPian

Pricing has gone through the roof. I think intentional move not to launch the diesel AT to make more people buy the 1.0 GDi. I'd pick the diesel if there was a slim price difference as reliability of turbo-petrol engines is unknown.

Hyundai seems to be learning how to price cars from Toyota India. Wonder when they'll learn to make reliable cars like Toyota? FYI: I know someone who bought an XL6 AT for around the same price of a top end i20 AT.
Old 7th November 2020, 08:38   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Forget this segment - even cars from a segment and half below like the Tiago and Santro weighs more than a Baleno!
More weight might seem to bring more safety in the case of Tata but not Hyundai!

E.g. The 840kg WagonR- (Crash tested car weight 1013kg, scored 6.93 for adult protection and 16.93 for child protection)
Santro- (1099kg crash tested car weight, scored 6.74 for adult protection and 15.00 for child protection)
Conclusion, the WagonR scored marginally better for adult protection and much better (almost 2 more points) for the child protection at the rear, when compared to the 80kg heavier Santro!

As you can see, heavier doesn't always mean safer

Also, the new i20's brochure does not have anything related to the weight mentioned!
Hyundai i20 Review-i20-weight.jpg

Heck even the much lighter(as per what BHPians say!) Baleno's brochure shows it!
Hyundai i20 Review-baleno-weight.jpg

Quote:
As per the reviews even the i20 is 100kgs lighter now compared to the previous gen model. That makes it ~950kgs which translates to around 87bhp/ton compared to 95bhp/ton of baleno.
If the new i20 actually weighs ~950kgs, it results into the i20 weighing ~80kgs more than the Baleno, which is identical to the weight difference between the WagonR and Santro. And considering that the WagonR scored more than the Santro in the crash test, can we expect the Baleno to be safer than the new i20??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Venue 1.0 L does 0-100 in 10 seconds and the Grand Nios does it in less than 10 seconds.
Those are the timings for the manual if I'm not wrong! And this one here doesn't get a manual with the 1.0L(I could be wrong!)
theAutomaniac is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 08:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

The new i20 base variant, Magna costs Rs.8.3L on road in Bangalore! Just 2 years ago, in 2018, we bought the facelifted Elite i20 magna for my wife at around 6.7L, after some discounts. I believe the on road price of this variant at that time was around 7.3L.

Sure, the new car gets a lot more features, but the fundamentals on this base variant are not very different. Dual airbags, manual AC, steel wheels remain standard in the 2018 magna and the new one. The differences seems more in the HU, digital speedometer console, and such smaller add ons.

Im really surprised by Hyundais pricing strategy here. When you launch a car which is essentially a generation change, and when the segment is extremely competitive, you expect that the entry and exit price points remain more or less the same. I think Hyundai has been over ambitious with this.
Old 7th November 2020, 10:44   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Im really surprised by Hyundais pricing strategy here. When you launch a car which is essentially a generation change, and when the segment is extremely competitive, you expect that the entry and exit price points remain more or less the same. I think Hyundai has been over ambitious with this.
Hyundai has always been overambitious(!!) with pricing of some of their cars.
First gen-Creta was overpriced, but still people queued up for it giving enough confidence to Hyundai management to take the prices further north with second gen car.
Same will happen here, people will queue up for this i20 too.
It is already evident from the fact that over 10,000 bookings have been already registered in 9 days.

This is what Hyundai has earned in the market in India.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:08   #114
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai i20 accessory packs price details – Essentio, Premium and Radiant

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201107110503_chrome.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201107110512_chrome.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-smartselect_20201107110522_chrome.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Corrected the graph of Autocar to reflect on the correct Altroz pricing and split the engines and variant prices for the Altroz and the i20. Thinking aloud that if Tata prices the Turbo at the same levels of the diesel Altroz without the lower variant, doesn't it look like a killer price and even a healthy margin of 1.2L for the Turbo over the NA? They can throw in some additional goodies as well (sportier tyres as they are already 195mm, sportier exhaust, padded seats etc.), just the functional bits.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Review-emdd0rvvgaa4fvz.jpg  

Last edited by discoverwild : 7th November 2020 at 11:51.
discoverwild is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:42   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAutomaniac View Post

If the new i20 actually weighs ~950kgs, it results into the i20 weighing ~80kgs more than the Baleno
Is the i20 going the Baleno way ?
Weight loss for more performance and mileage ? Wonder why they are not quoting the weight details in the brochure.

Somehow I feel Tata missed the bus here by not bringing their more powerful versions of the 1.2P and 1.5D engines in the Altroz. If you already have a better engine in your portfolio, why not just use it ?
That would then make it the REAL GOLD STANDARD.
(Can i get the job of Chief Strategy Officer in Tata Motors ? )
RaghavEvoX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 11:58   #117
BHPian

I just came to highlight here on the fact that the turbo DCT might be priced higher than the diesel 1.5 and I am not okay with it.
You can say that Hyundai is here trying to sell more of it's turbo engines but I don't see it. All I see is that Hyundai trying to cash in on the i20 brand name. Every spec is overpriced, by a lakh at least in the upper trims.
At this price a C-SUV makes more sense.
Heck, you could get a decent spec Thar 2020 at this price. Or a honda city, or even the Verna in similar spec albeit different engine config
Heck I paid less for my 2020 EcoSport S TDCi which has all the features of the i20.
Anyway the 1.2 petrol is going to be the hot sell in this list IMO, however I see the trend shifting quickly in favor of 1.0. Also, I expect to see very few takers for the diesel, which would be my pick of the lot.
ron82x3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 12:10   #118
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Is that exclusive to Autocar ? None brought it online , no embargo?
There is an embargo as the media drive is today but looks like Autocar managed to sneak in a review by a dealer provided car.
Old 7th November 2020, 13:35   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2077197

Whaaat 14L for a B segment hatch. No way I'm getting a hatch at this price. It's not a niche car like the GTI or Focus to pay up so much(I know that these cars cost a lot more but to give context). Especially for a 1.2L engine. Where are the engine and sub-4m taxation benefits going?? By adding a 10" screen and a sunroof, Hyundai thinks they can charge how much ever they want. Eventually these gadgetry lose value or their novelty in a year or two and ESP/TC were already given in Polo and Freestyle earlier itself. The half heaters copy of the BMW meter design doesn't cut it. Rather the previous gen i20 speedometer was so pleasant to the eyes

NCAP? Half the buyers need to be made aware of crash & safety ratings, then there will be a shift in the buyer's preference

You can get very capable C-SUV with the top most variant for this price. Figo twins make more sense as they are 4-5L cheaper which offer all the safety features as well(unless Ford brings in Sync 3, bottle holders at the rear and DRL, these underrated gems will be unnoticed). Altroz and Polo suddenly make more sense now.

Time to go the pre-owned route(a challenge in Bangalore though to get 2-3 year old cars for a sane price )

Last edited by jithin23 : 7th November 2020 at 13:38.
jithin23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 14:01   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
I just came to highlight here on the fact that the turbo DCT might be priced higher than the diesel 1.5 and I am not okay with it.
TGDi engines are generally priced similar to diesels. That's the general trend across brands. Forget the DCT, the TGDi IMT is priced very close to the diesel MT.

Related thread that I had started a few weeks back - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...m-petrols.html (Turbo GDI Petrol v/s Turbo Diesel - Are you prepared to pay a diesel-like premium for petrols?)

That said - Hyundai is also definitely not keen to push diesel with this pricing strategy. Because of the missing Asta variant - diesel users have to either settle with the Sportz variant or shell out almost 2.5 lakhs extra for Asta (O). At Asta(O) prices - you also get the very competent Diesel 6 speed AT in the Sonet HTK+ trim.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2020 at 18:18. Reason: Typo
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks