Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:59   #331
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

So is Hyundai going to launch a manual version of the 1.0L TGDi and call it N-line? Which I predict could be priced higher than any other gearbox version of the turbo-petrol.
I'll not be surprised if they do that. There will be people lining up for it too.
My only hope is that it is actually sporty (like revamped steering, gearbox, suspension) and does not just have the appearance of one (like random squiggles on the rear and side).
Small Bot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 04:56   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
1. I never thought I’d say this about a Hyundai hatchback but the car can hold high triple digit speeds with ease.
2. The stability at speed is excellent. A few bumps here and there dont really upset the composure of the car, it holds its line into corners with aplomb and as I mentioned earlier the big car feel ensures that the drive is calm and relaxed without the feeling that you’re going too fast. Is it as good as my GT TSI? Well no... but it’s quite close.
3. I started pushing the car the moment I got off the expressway (e-way was done with cruise on 100) and I got an overall 14kmpl over the 1500 km drive which included a lot of travel within Goa as well.
4. The 1.0 GDI delivers its power in a very relaxed way. It doesn’t push you back into the seat like the 1.2 TSI does but the power on tap is more than adequate to have fun with.
5. The aircon works brilliantly. The cabin was kept cool at all times and we never had to take the temperature below 22 degrees even at the lowest fan speed.
Overall a big
Great feedback from real world experience of your i20.

I have booked a Sportz 1.0 Liter turbo after looking at Baleno, Venue and Sonnet. But like others have mentioned in above posts, and I too felt so in my TD, the engine is lifeless under 1.8 k or so RPM. SO my questions to you is: between what rpms do you find the engine most responsive? At what RPM do you shift up?
Also what is the service schedule for your car?

Last edited by goandude : 24th March 2021 at 05:21.
Old 24th March 2021, 10:14   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Great feedback from real world experience of your i20.

I have booked a Sportz 1.0 Liter turbo after looking at Baleno, Venue and Sonnet. But like others have mentioned in above posts, and I too felt so in my TD, the engine is lifeless under 1.8 k or so RPM. SO my questions to you is: between what rpms do you find the engine most responsive? At what RPM do you shift up?
Also what is the service schedule for your car?
Most people are comparing the performance of the 1.0 GDi with that of the TSI engined Polo and saying that its no match. As a former Polo GT TSI owner (sold my car last month) I was able to compare literally back to back and as I’ve mentioned earlier the Hyundai is definitely a more sedate performer as compared to VW’s 1.2 TSI. The Hyundai will never push you back in the seat the way a Polo does but having said that its got a meatier mid range vs the 1.2 TSI. The car pulls strongly from around 2k rpm all the way to around 5k after which the power starts tapering off. I usually drive in D so it shifts around the 3-3500 rpm mark.

Service schedule after the first service is 10k or one year whichever is earlier.
Potenza is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 20:58   #334
BHPian

Does anyone know why the new i20 has such low set headlights compared to the hood level? Is it because of the pedestrian safety norms? To me, it just ends up looking a bit like strange and disconnected, to be honest. I hope they change this design atleast a little bit in the N version.

That is one of the few bits of the exterior design that I don't like.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 17:32   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
I just returned from a road trip covering approx 1000 kms and the turbo petrol DCT returned a fuel efficiency of 17.5 kmpl. This is with 30% city traffic and rest highways. Diesel should return upwards 20 kmpl easily.
What are the service intervals of the car? Is synthetic the recommended oil? And can you share the costs of your service/s so far
Old 25th March 2021, 19:54   #336
BHPian

Quote:
What are the service intervals of the car? Is synthetic the recommended oil? And can you share the costs of your service/s so far
The service interval is 10000 kms/12 months.
Yes, synthetic oil is recommend. The recommended oil grade can be found from the user manual available to be downloaded from Hyundai India website.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 22:17   #337
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Service interval is 10k kms or 1 year, whichever is earlier. Only done with first service which costed me 1,150 since I changed the engine oil alone (no labour costs).

Planning to change to fully synthetic oil only after completing 10k kms.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 17:51   #338
BHPian

What is the Kerb Weight of i20 1.2 petrol sportz variant?
Most reviews suggest its a 100 kgs lighter at 918 kg, while some Youtubers have actually got their cars weighed at 1055 kg.
This is really confusing. Any inputs on this would be very helpful.
Old 27th March 2021, 20:22   #339
Senior - BHPian

Since I have booked an i20, I have been going through this thread with a lot of interest. Most opinions about the car were positive except for the price. BUT I was quite dismayed to read the doubts raised by fellow members as to the crash worthiness of the car.
Further reading led me to Wiki which states

"The Hyundai i20 earned a maximum five star safety rating from Euro NCAP[14] and scored six out of a maximum of seven points in the "safety assist" category, receiving top marks for its belt reminder and electronic stability programme which minimises the risk of skidding by braking individual wheels.[15] The i20 was named one of Euro NCAP's "top five safest cars for 2009", which was based on Euro NCAP's maximum five star awards and their overall score.[16]"

Yes this rating was not on the current version of the car, but I find it hard to believe that the company would compromise on safety on it's successive models.
Old 27th March 2021, 20:38   #340
BHPian

Quote:
"The Hyundai i20 earned a maximum five star safety rating from Euro NCAP."
The catch here is that the European car was tested, not the car sold in the Indian market. Crash tests of cars like the Seltos and the Swift (which scored much better internationally when compared to their pathetic ratings in India) have proved that carmakers do not shy away from compromising on safety in the Indian versions of their cars.

Last edited by Nexusios1521 : 27th March 2021 at 20:53.
Nexusios1521 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 22:03   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this rating was not on the current version of the car, but I find it hard to believe that the company would compromise on safety on it's successive models.
Yes that's what most of us believed till GNCAP busted the bubble by testing Indian Kia Seltos. The car scored a solid 5* when international models were tested but the Indian model just managed to scrape through 3* that too with bodyshell rated unstable.

Hyundai i20 Review-screenshot_20201111145306__01.jpg

This was heart-breaking to see and led to make a lot of people believe that Hyundai/Kia might be following similar approach like Maruti who are known to have different standard for bodyshell structures in Indian versions. If their 20L car fares this way in crash test, expecting cheaper offerings to be better off is a little tough.

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th March 2021 at 22:09.
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 12:07   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
This was heart-breaking to see and led to make a lot of people believe that Hyundai/Kia might be following similar approach like Maruti who are known to have different standard for bodyshell structures in Indian versions. If their 20L car fares this way in crash test, expecting cheaper offerings to be better off is a little tough.
@Soumend - Do you have any concrete examples of Maruti using different bodyshell structures or are you just saying based on hearsay? With kia, the evidence is very clear. A 5 star rated stable bodyshell is very different from a 2+ star rated unstable bodyshell.

Both Hyundai & Kia are not transparent with their kerb weights either. So it's not easy to compare models in India vs what you have outside.
Old 29th March 2021, 12:22   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@Soumend - Do you have any concrete examples of Maruti using different bodyshell structures or are you just saying based on hearsay?
Hearsay? Surprised to see this question on this forum but here you go.

While the international SWIFT has fared great on crash tests, the very popular Indian version scored a paltry 2*

Please go through the attached PDF with GNCAP result.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suzuki-Swift-India-results-september-2018.pdf (606.2 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th March 2021 at 12:24.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 12:52   #344
BHPian

@SoumenD - Well the Euro version also didn't do too well. The swift got only 3* despite having more safety equipment. The weights also seem comparable to the Indian version.

It's not like the Euro version got 5* and the Indian version got 2*.

https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/48852...-datasheet.pdf
Old 29th March 2021, 13:50   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@SoumenD - Well the Euro version also didn't do too well. The swift got only 3* despite having more safety equipment. The weights also seem comparable to the Indian version.

It's not like the Euro version got 5* and the Indian version got 2*.

https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/48852...-datasheet.pdf
Yes you are correct but the part which worries is this. In the same link you shared for euro version, notice the highlighted part.

Hyundai i20 Review-euro-spec.jpg

For indian version the same is rated unstable(Refer the pdf in my previous post). For now jagons like 'Dil se Strong' is working for them so obviously they don't bother

Anyways this thread is going OT. There are multiple threads already where its been discussed how manufacturers provide us products with different standards compared to international counterpart, so we can spare this thread from same discussion again. You can search for the same. Cheers

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th March 2021 at 13:52.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks