Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 17:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors rolls out 1,50,000th Nexon from Ranjangaon plant

Tata Motors rolls out 1,50,000th Nexon from Ranjangaon plant-image-2.jpg

Tata Motors has announced that it has rolled out 1,50,000 units of the Nexon from its Ranjangaon facility in Pune since its launch in 2017. While the company achieved the milestone of the roll out of the 50,000th Nexon in Sept 2018, Nexon number 1,00,000 was rolled out in September 2019.

Tata Motors rolls out 1,50,000th Nexon from Ranjangaon plant-image-1.jpg

To celebrate this occasion, Tata Motors will be running a contest under the #Nexlevel150K campaign on social media to celebrate every customer’s journey with their Nexons, from the time of purchase to their ongoing experience with the vehicle. The best entries will stand a chance to meet cricketer K. L. Rahul, who is also the brand ambassador of Tata Nexon, and a cash prize of Rs. 1,50,000. There’s also a chance to win signed merchandise and gift vouchers.

Tata Motors rolls out 1,50,000th Nexon from Ranjangaon plant-image-3.jpg

Since its launch in 2017, the Nexon has been one of Tata Motors’ best-selling cars. It was also the first Indian car to receive a 5-star safety rating by Global NCAP.

The Nexon comes with a choice of two engines – a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder turbocharged diesel. Both engines come with multi-drive modes and 6-speed manual and automated manual transmissions.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2020 at 17:37.
Aditya is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 17:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors rolls out 1,50,000th Nexon from Ranjangaon plant

Not a bad milestone for TATA and Nexon is one of the fiercely competitive segment! Quite a commendable feat against the Brezza, Venue, Ecosport, XUV and recent Sonet, all of which are great / amazing cars in their own ways.
museycal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:03   #3
BHPian

Well deserved. Great job Tata Motors. For me, only shortcoming in Nexon is lack of proper automatic gearbox. TaMo need to launch it with TC or DCT and it will further increase the sales.
Bhalla is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Heartiest congratulations to Tata Motors on achieving this milestone in a span of around 37 months. This means that Tata has been consistently selling more than 4000 Nexons month after month. This is a commendable effort in the face of newer and older competitors like the Venue,Sonet,Brezza and the Ecosport.

When it was launched I was of the initial opinion that it looked too funky and may not go down well with most of the customers but boy have they proved me wrong. Despite being built on the age old Vista's X1 platform, Tata went on to achieve a 5 star NCAP rating making other manufacturers sit up and take notice. Also I think the Nexon is the first car to have made us Indian consumers more aware about the safety of the cars we buy.

Unlike there past launches Tata launched both the diesel and the petrol versions right from the start and they were both adequately powerful to begin with. The automatics which were and still are the lame AMTs are a serious fly in the ointment. According to my sources this generation of Nexon won't see the introduction of a DCT.

The facelift and the EV that Tata launched on the Nexon subsequently also have helped keep the design fresh and also become the most affordable and practical EV in India which also loses nothing as compared to its ICE equipped variants. Today the Nexon has a crazy spread of variants which is unheard of from Tata and also has all the necessary creature comforts evenly spread across the variants so as not to look bare bones in the face of newer competition from the Hyundai/Kia duo.

Here is to the continuation of this wonderful run and all the best to Tata Motors for the next generation Nexon on the ALFA platform. Hope Tata adds another 150000 Nexons to its kitty before the arrival of the next generation. Can't wait to see how that will turn out.
ram87pune is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Really happy to see this achievement by tata. A great effort being rewarded and it can still do much better if they can come up with Proper AT (not AMT) variants in both petrol and diesel.
Old 5th November 2020, 18:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Tata Motors for achieving such a milestone inside a commendable timeline. From making the first 5-star safety rated car from India where the established players like Maruti and Hyundai fell short, makes the feat so much more special. Nexon owners are a satisfied lot as far as I know, and that itself tells us that Tata Motors have come a long way from the Indica days. I wish our homegrown company the very best, that Tata Motors also had phenomenal sales during the pandemic is a wonderful news too.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Test drove a Nexon diesel on broken roads and was thoroughly impressed. Well done Tata and I don't find this number surprising. They did well with this car.

Can't help but think how many more Nexons Tata will sell once they fix the hatchback like rear and funny tail lamps.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Kudos to TATA for understanding the demand. I must admit I got it wrong. I felt the Nexon with its ceramic bands and hatchback harking design may not work in a country where SUV means butch even if it's a mini SUV. Instead, I was under the impression that the Tigor despite its name had what it takes to challenge the Dezire. Like I said, I was wrong on both counts.
TATA did shift their design towards the butch styling with the latest iteration and I think one more tinkering on the back and this car will rake in more numbers.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:40   #9
BHPian

Hope they launch the DCT version soon. Sales will sky rocket if they even match the price of venue or Sonet.
Old 6th November 2020, 13:01   #10
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Great job by Tata motors. Your efforts post HEXA have really changed the perception of the Indian buyer. We are waiting to welcome one unit from you Tata. Just get the production ramped up.

I have seen that any sensible buyer from the 7-11 Lac ex showroom price segment is exploring the market and ending up with the Nexon as the only option.

Venue: for features
Brezza: for economy lovers
Sonet: for wow factor
Ecosport: for driving pleasure
XUV3OO: for space and safety
Nexon: The VFM all rounder
Tgo is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 13:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

A commendable effort and also, a little proud and happy. To me, Nexon is not only one of THE most safest under 4m sub-compact SUV, but also the most beautiful looking 4 wheels, in the category.

What is also noteworthy is the design maturity Tata Motors design team brought to the Nexon in Gen 2.0. When its time to buy a new mini/sub-compact SUV next year, the Nexon along with Sonet are the ONLY 2 contenders, for me.

Only wish Tata Motors considered adding creating a top diesel variant with:
- 6 airbags
- proper TC transmission
- cooled seats
Nothing else matters. No wireless charging, 10" screen or sunroof.. But not all wishes are fulfilled, sadly. :(

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Test drove a Nexon diesel on broken roads and was thoroughly impressed. Well done Tata and I don't find this number surprising. They did well with this car. ...........
So the Nexon suspension is soft and not ridig/ jarring on broken roads, is what you're saying? By any chance, did you also get to compare the suspension of Sonet over similar roads?

Happy to hear from anyone who has an answer/ feedback to this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by k_ajay : 6th November 2020 at 13:30. Reason: Adding a response to another post
Old 6th November 2020, 19:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
So the Nexon suspension is soft and not ridig/ jarring on broken roads, is what you're saying? By any chance, did you also get to compare the suspension of Sonet over similar roads?.
I did lengthy test drives of the Nexon (P AMT) and the Sonet (7 DCT) over different terrains - highways, suburban roads filled with potholes, stop and go city traffic, and over semi-rural roads that were basically patches of mud and slush. In my experience, the Nexon outperforms the Sonet on the ride comfort on pretty much every road I took it on. The Sonet's suspension is firmer, and I felt the bumps and potholes more in it.

To me the Nexon is one of the most sorted vehicles on the road today, let down by the AMT. If the Nexon had a proper auto option, I would have bought it, even if it cost an additional 1 Lakh (over the AMT) for the gearbox.
Coyote is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
So the Nexon suspension is soft and not ridig/ jarring on broken roads, is what you're saying? By any chance, did you also get to compare the suspension of Sonet over similar roads?

Happy to hear from anyone who has an answer/ feedback to this. Thanks in advance.
Hello, sorry I wasn't clear. We (I, dad, mom) felt the car to be very accommodating of the bumps and those horrible rumble strips. The car effortlessly glides over them. Only time we felt a bump was when I hit potholes the size of moon craters. All this after coming from our first gen Duster - that says a lot.
I did not get to drive Sonet (no Kia dealer, small town), but we did TD Hyundai Venue on similar but not same roads, and I can confidently say Nexon easily trumps Venue. Gone are the days of softly sprung Hyundais.

Please note that I don't really have a horse in this race, I am yet to put down money on any car but all my calculations and senses are pointing towards Nexon.
Hope this helps!

Edit: Duster is still better but Nexon isn't too far. On that same day, we drove Nexon, XUV300, Brezza and Venue and felt Nexon was > than all.

Last edited by amol4184 : 6th November 2020 at 20:21. Reason: added more details
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks coyote and Amol4184, very useful feedback for a prospect.. So for all not-smooth-tarmac road conditions, Nexon trumps the Sonet (i somehow anticipated this, given the comments on how Seltos suspension has been tuned by Kia).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
To me the Nexon is one of the most sorted vehicles on the road today, let down by the AMT. If the Nexon had a proper auto option, I would have bought it, even if it cost an additional 1 Lakh (over the AMT) for the gearbox.
Yes, word! I'd happily be willing to bear the cost of proper proper 6 speed TC on the Nexon, with AMT cost reduced appropriately. Wish it was even an option.
Old 7th November 2020, 01:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

BS-6 Nexon's suspension had been tweaked by TML. Recently I drove a BS-6 Nexon petrol and on a subjective level, when compared to my BS-4 petrol Nexon, the low speed ride in the 2020 BS-6 is definitely cushier. The Bharat 6 car rounds off low speed bumps quite well and there's a distinct reduction in the low speed ride's "jiggliness" that plagued Bharat - 4 models.
I suspect TML has fine tuned the bushes and maybe even the anti roll bar stiffness.
Whatever it is, it works & is s definite improvement over the pre-facelift models.
arjab is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed