Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 18:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website

Volvo has removed the V90 Cross Country from the brand's Indian website.

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website-v90-1.jpg

The V90 Cross Country is a crossover version of the station wagon and was launched in July 2017. It shares its underpinnings with the S90.

Powering the V90 Cross Country was the same 2.0-litre diesel engine from the S90. In this car, the twin-turbocharged D5 unit produced 232 BHP and 480 Nm of torque. Power was sent to all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic transmission and a Haldex AWD system.

Volvo's Indian website now lists only four cars - the XC40, XC60, XC90 and the S90.

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website-v90-2.jpg

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website-v90-3.jpg

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website-v90-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 5th November 2020 at 18:11.
ChiragM is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website

This is extremely upsetting yet not surprising. The car was splendid and I loved how it looked.
I don't think Station Wagons are something consumers look for here. I've seen people prefer the XC and S range preferred over the V90. I've seen very few V90s here (Bangalore).
Hope they bring it back as an EV/Hybrid, I would love to buy one someday
Sreesh1009 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Station wagons are neither here nor there, people would definitely choose a sedan or SUV over it, even though station wagons have added practically over a sedan. Forget customer cars I haven’t even seen a test car here in Bombay!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:32   #4
BHPian

Damn. I was hoping to see more of these unappreciated beauties pop up in the used car market.
This is a super functional driver's car - sedan like driving dynamics with tons of torque, but with added ground clearance, AWD and a massive boot. Sad to see it go.
pavanmadhini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:34   #5
BHPian

Blessing in disguise for V60 Cross Country? It would be at a more competitive price point than V90 and will also be the natural successor to previous gen S60 Cross Country that was sold here.

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website-231026_new_volvo_v60_rdesign.jpg
Senna4Ever is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Volvo has removed the V90 Cross Country from the brand's Indian website.
I'm a bit miffed to see this. We clocked 50k on our V90 last week and I cannot believe that such a great car is not available in the Indian Market. On a lighter note, I won't be surprised if some of these unsold units (0 kms, 2020 manufactured) make it to the BBT Website.

Like Senna4Ever mentioned, it could pave a golden path for the V60 Cross Country as the market for Premium Station-wagons is a niche and iirc, the only competitor in that price range is the E-Class Wagon. Knowing Volvo, one can be certain that they will undercut the E.

Still a bummer to see the V90 Cross Country go :(
ka51resident is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 06:42   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Station Wagons haven't ever sold in India, and never will. Serious image problem. Plus, SUVs give you all that space with some added style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
I don't think Station Wagons are something consumers look for here.
Except Europe, estates are a dying breed in every market, including the USA where they were once popular.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 08:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

Volvo V90 Cross Country removed from website

I never did expect this to succeed in india. The brand as it is struggles to garner footfall and is super niche. On top of that it is a niche product. Unless you are in it for a 10 year haul (the depreciation will be much faster even by luxury car standards) and really love the product and will accept nothing else, most people would walk away even if they have a fringe interest.

Personally though, this is the kind of product that really appeals to me. However they didnt even get the Ergos right. I recall sitting in the back seat and it was "uncomfortably" and "unacceptably" upright for comfort. That one aspect alone would have been a deal breaker for me if I was ever seriously picking it.

If you are selling 80 lakh rupee luxury cars in india, they jolly well be uber comfortable for their rear seat passengers.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th November 2020 at 08:10.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Station Wagons haven't ever sold in India, and never will. Serious image problem. Plus, SUVs give you all that space with some added style.
I wonder why though because these new age station Wagon's are much better looking than their vanilla sedan counterparts. Jaguar XF vs XF Sportback, Audi RS6 Avant, Volvo V60/V90, in my eyes look better compared to the sedan version. They are as practical as SUV's when it comes to space and are much better to drive than any SUV in the class.
extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:24   #10
BHPian

This is very sad news indeed. This was a lovely and practical car. The only thing against it was the size and of course, the price. Had seriously considered it at one time after a test drive. Unfortunately (or fortunately), finances and will power weren't in order then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Blessing in disguise for V60 Cross Country? It would be at a more competitive price point than V90 and will also be the natural successor to previous gen S60 Cross Country that was sold here.
Plus one to that.
This was the car they should have launched instead of the V90, if not along with it. Much more manageable on our roads and again a good looker. But here again, they must be fearful of eating into XC40 sales.

As it is, they have very limited models with limited trims. Further, they only have a single trim in some models. If you want a petrol, you only have an XC40 T4 or the uber expensive XC90 T8s.

I hope this is just a prelude to introducing newer BS6 versions / models. And I really hope they stop trimming down features in their cars. I can forgive them for deleting pneumatic suspension from some models, but not safety features which are their main USP.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:33   #11
BHPian

Still tempted to pick up a used one sometime down the line. One Beauty of a car and a total keeper!
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Still tempted to pick up a used one sometime down the line. One Beauty of a car and a total keeper!
One issue will be parts availability.

I had a minor incident recently were a truck ended up nudging and causing damage to the fender and the brake light. Apparently no stock of these in India. Its been a week, and I am still waiting for the part to arrive from Sweden. Perhaps the Covid situation has affected shipping time. I am told it might take two to three weeks. This is the situation for a car which has sold in fairly good numbers. Imagine the situation for niche models.

Don't let me discourage you though.
Not an issue if you have multiple cars and if this is will not your daily driver.
psispace is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 17:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post

I had a minor incident recently were a truck ended up nudging and causing damage to the fender and the brake light. Apparently no stock of these in India. Its been a week, and I am still waiting for the part to arrive from Sweden. Perhaps the Covid situation has affected shipping time. I am told it might take two to three weeks. This is the situation for a car which has sold in fairly good numbers. Imagine the situation for niche models.

Don't let me discourage you though.
Not an issue if you have multiple cars and if this is will not your daily driver.
True. Parts availability in general has been a pain point for some of the Volvo owners. In my case I did have an incident with my V40 cc but luckily the part was available in Mumbai and the dealer was able to source it and install. I was actually chatting with Mr Shinoy of Martial Volvo last week on this and He was mentioning Volvo removing the model for India and it further spiked my interested to scout for a pre owned option. He did tell me that on rare instances things could take time but for this model parts availability hasn’t been an issue in general and he did whole heartedly recommend the car for what it offers. He especially quoted that in case of ECU related hardwares it could be a minimum of few months for any Volvo and that was surprising!

For now it’s an early idea for me that I could pick up a used V90CC down the line while keeping the V40CC as a daily driver that it is now. This idea could very well change though.
vjbox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:40   #14
BHPian

Being a station wagon, I think this was the inevitable fate of the Volvo. The E all-terrain was probably its only rival (RS6 Avant is in a class above) and I've never seen a single one in Bangalore apart from the showroom.
Old 16th November 2020, 08:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post

As a former V40 T4 owner, I don't think it's got to do with CoVid, I had to wait for 3 weeks for any parts to come that were not cosmetic. I was one of the 2-3 T4 owners from the south of India.
ninjax is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks