Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 20:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Well, I am one of those buyers from last month. I am not surprised, the demand was visible as there were customers flocking showrooms throughout September/ October.
It is interesting that the Seltos has cooled off a bit , perhaps to allow the Sonet, but also , I feel that the Sonet gives the impression of being 80% Seltos, for all intents and purposes. This is not the case with the Venue and Creta. So I think
the Sonet is nibbling away within the house.
I see some “not so rosy” times for Honda- they have by their own admission, been slow to adapt to the SUV segment, and they have a massive hole of about 20 lacs from the WRV to the CRV, and no product in the pipeline. The WRV has also lost interest, as is evident from its numbers. Honda is stuck in a no mans land, not wanting to be a mass player like Maruti, but also not having the product range to straddle the middle/ upper middle segment.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 7th November 2020 at 20:56.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 00:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
All this in a semi urban/rural area. I bet bigger city folks are even more serious. I guess as long as COVID situation persists, sales would be strong despite no daily commute for few more months.
I have seen (on facebook) number of friends who bought new car recently are living in small towns. My current car is almost five years old and would have gone for an upgrade but with very limited driving currently, my upgrade may be postponed by a year or more. I am assuming first time buyers may be more than those who are upgrading existing cars. One of my stock market gurus suggested that growth we are seeing now may have some spillover effects from previous months and need to wait for couple of months to understand sustainability.
Old 8th November 2020, 04:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I cant believe (Creta+ Seltos) = 22923. I doubt rural,tier2/3 contribute much here. I assume the majority of the sales is from tier 1 cities.
Reporting from a tier 3 city. All I see on the road here is Seltos and Creta, including the new one. I swear I see more Cretas than Balenos here, perhaps just my bias because Baleno is basically invisible. We are often astounded by the amount of new big car purchases around us. It seems like people have hit a "YOLO" mode in the wake of the pandemic and are just going for it.

Another observation - the rise in Eeco sales. In absence of public transportation, I've seen them being used as makeshift public transportation all over Haryana. Their presence has increased noticeably on the highways over the last few months.
RoadMonkey is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 09:28   #19
BHPian

What’s glaring for me is Toyota. Almost 50% of its sales come Maruti. Glanza and Urban Cruiser make up almost 6000 units. Take that out, Toyota ends up below Renault and Honda. Rebadging Maruti to save face and business operations, something that Toyota is proud of?

Two other points -

- I wonder if there are production constraints (capacity constraints) at Kia, stopping them from clocking higher numbers.
- MG hasn’t yet disclosed Gloster’s numbers it seems. I am assuming wholesales have begun.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th November 2020 at 09:43. Reason: Urbam Cruizer > Urban Cruiser
OrangeCar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 09:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
What’s glaring for me is Toyota. Almost 50% of its sales come Maruti. Glanza and Urbam Cruizer make up almost 6000 units. Take that out, Toyota ends up below Renault and Honda. Rebadging Maruti to save face and business operations, something that Toyota is proud of?.....
Toyota is probably buying Suzuki cars because it lowers their average fleet economy allowing them to sell bigger monsters like Innova and Fortuner. Imagine the investment that would have been required if such cars had to be made by Toyota. The market share gain is an added bonus.
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 21:41   #21
BHPian

The harrier is silently picking up again now that its v2 is launched. Could’ve been a different story if the initial launch wasn’t rushed. Would be nice to see it touch 4k.

Nexon has also picked up quite a bit YoY. Maybe a sign that Tata’s reputation is improving - or that its sales were earlier hampered by its quirky looks which the facelift reduced.

Sad to see compass dwindling away (-2% YoY) like other FCA products. With Jeep, they had such a strong brand but have mismanaged it as well.
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Will the festive boost sustain?

Pent up deliveries/decisions through the covid times ensured a blockbuster Dussera. I expect Diwali to be similar.

Not all pictures look rosy

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...t-6020891.html
Quote:
Two-wheelers, however, saw subdued sales and cumulative retail for YoY has slumped 10 percent, dealers told the paper. The drop in sales they said was due to the pandemic, consequent lockdowns and continued closure of schools, colleges and offices in urban areas.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...eport/79085337

Quote:
MUMBAI: High coronavirus infections in hinterland during the second quarter had an unusual collateral victim - auto demand that plunged during the period as against soaring sales in the previous three months - almost wiping away the high double-digit growth in the June quarter, according to a report.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Can’t imagine how 14,000 people but the Creta every month. But Hyundai’s read of the Indian consumer is obviously far better than mine
My 2 cents: I visited our usual Hyundai ASC for my car's usual service. While I was waiting for an SA to attend my car, I casually took a walk in the parking lot and noticed that there were quite a lot of cretas waiting for their first service. I spoke to a friendly SA about this and he said that Hyundai was spot on with the pricing of the base and mid variants of the Creta and the sales people found it working it in their favour. For example, if someone with a budget of 12 lakhs walks in showing interest in the Venue, the sales guys slowly pitch-in the idea of owning a big SUV at a slight premium. They then lure them with the base and mid variants of Creta which are pretty decently loaded in terms of gadgetry. With Creta's band pull and the fact that they can own a SUV with out burning a hole in their pocket has lured a lot of customers away from the Venue it seems. Sure enough, half of the cars in the parking lot are base/mid variants.
furyrider is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Toyota is probably buying Suzuki cars because it lowers their average fleet economy allowing them to sell bigger monsters like Innova and Fortuner. Imagine the investment that would have been required if such cars had to be made by Toyota. The market share gain is an added bonus.
It would also help Toyota to manage the dealership running costs. Imagine running those huge dealerships with just the Innova and Fortuner to sell. Now with the additional Glanza and Urban Cruiser, they sell more vehicles and earn good profits. Also the service centers keep buzzing with additional load.
chhotagujju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:07   #25
BHPian

Sad to see Honda take back seat, but they themselves are responsible for the situation.
They dont have any product to compete with Creta, Seltos. They have very capable products like HR-v, Pilot, odyssy but none of them are on sale here.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:21   #26
BHPian

Harrier V2 has worked well for TATA. Altroz too is slowly picking up after the initial low numbers. Surely more variants in Harrier & Altroz which were added recently will add them few more numbers. Once the turbo petrol and well packaged auto boxes comes in Altroz the sales might climb up to 9000 range along with the i20s.

I don't think Hyundai will be able to match the sales numbers of Elite i20 with their new i20 as the new one is horrendously overpriced along with an underwhelming design.

But what I am really concerned about is regarding that one guy among the 130 crore Indians who bought the Mahindra Verito/Vibe!
kamilharis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:18   #27
BHPian

In electric cars: EZs selling almost 10x the Hyundai Kona
sunny29584 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:34   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

As per FADA, there has been a decline in automobile sales!

Autocar Link

Quote:
The Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA) today released the monthly vehicle registration data for October 2020. The overall retail sales came at 1,413,549 units, down 23.9 percent which includes two-, three-, four-wheelers, commercial vehicles and tractors. Interestingly, except for the tractor segment, the overall industry continued to be in the red.

Commenting on the data, Vinkesh Gulati, president, FADA said, “October continues to see positive momentum on monthly basis but on a yearly basis the negative slide continues to increase. The 9-day Navratri period witnessed robust vehicle registrations but could not save October to go in red as compared to last year when both Navratri and Diwali were in the same month.”

Last edited by BoneCollector : 9th November 2020 at 13:37.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Those are impressive stats. Feels very reassuring of the economy. Also, the sales of M&M (XUV300 in particular) and TATA brought a smile to my face. It's always good to see the homegrown brands doing well and taking on the likes of Korean and Japanese car brands.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Retail Sales Oct 2020 Decline (Y-O-Y) For Most OEM's( except Kia and Tata)

MoM sales however, increased 27.26 percent as against 97,640 units sold in Sept 20.

Maruti Suzuki held on to its market share of above 50 percent at 50.33 percent

October 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-carretailsalesoct2020669x1125.jpg
Above numbers do not include data from Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Lakshadweep & Telangana as all these States/UT’s are not yet on Vahan 4.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th November 2020 at 14:14.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks