Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 13:59   #31
BHPian

Re: 2020 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Agree with all the cars except Creta & Seltos. They are extreme bang of the buck cars. Not sure they evoke emotions like say a polo/octi 245 does. I connect with the SONET/venue turbo petrol (or even the duster turbo pet) more than the Creata/seltos twins.

Notable misses

Preworshipped : Tiago JTP, Safari, Endeavour 3.2, SCross 1.6

Coming soon - Altroz Turbo, Nissan Magnite

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 9th November 2020 at 14:01.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't the Nexon EV be here? The electric motor's torque especially in S mode is enough to plaster a smile, and the stiff ride and sorted handling add to desirability. The way it pulls from stand-still can be matched only by a few cars on our roads

The lack of ICE engine's music when you're revving (no redlining here!) and the limited range of 200 to 250 KM are the only drawbacks I can think of.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th November 2020 at 14:51.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker View Post
Would you consider to include the all new i20 in its new avatar, especially the 1.0 turbo motor which churns out 120hp power?
+1 to the question. Eagerly awaiting GTO's views on the new i20 1.0 L Turbo and how it compares against the Skoda Rapid / VW Vento & Polo. Personally i don't care touch about the features. Just need to know which one is more fun to drive.
Old 9th November 2020, 15:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other Notable Mentions
Coming Soon
The BS6 Gurkha & V-Cross will be launched shortly.
Tata Altroz turbo should have been mentioned.
Old 9th November 2020, 16:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Pre-worshipped Cars

If you are a fan of pre-owned cars as I am, the world is your playground. And there is something to fit every budget. From pristine Octavia 1.8s & Punto Abarths to excellent M5s & 911s. just take your pick and join in on the fun!

That should definitely be a separate thread. Best used cars for enthusiasts within 5, 10 and 20L budget!
shobhit.shri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 17:24   #36
BHPian

Is Honda City on this list only because of it's engine? I recently got a chance to drive that car for a short distance and I couldn't really appreciate the suspension setup - we were on a very clean and open road so I comment solely based on how confident I felt driving it (didn't even cross triple digits). Compared to my dad's first gen Figo or my facelifted Ecosport, I found the city to be quicker and still didn't enjoy it. Am I the odd man out? A friend plans to buy it, so we'll probably have a longer test drive sometime soon.

Also, 2020 isn't over yet - we have the 1.0 i20 ready for test drives and then there is the 'Big surprise' from Maruti that's coming soon - it will be the most sought after car with all the stickers they put on.
Chugh_H is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:39   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Would say the mad-rev happy engine, slick gearbox, quick steering, friendly clutch & perfect ergonomics = it all just comes together for the driver. Under 120 kmph, I found it to be as much fun as the Rapid TSI.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:44   #38
BHPian

Most eagerly awaited thread for me this year- been constantly refreshing the 2018 thread past few months for an updated view. Thank you GTO - rated 5 stars.

Couldn't agree more with the thread, having test driven most of the cars on the list - Polo & Rapid TSIs, Figo Twins in diesel and petrol, compass diesel MT, swift petrol MT, Seltos and Ignis.

Have been looking for a FTD car for a while now - and it seems the trade-off between "head" and "heart" is only widening . One look at this List only confirms the same , when one considers secondary factors that go into a car decision - reliability, ASS, "must have" features, practicality/space etc.

For example, just TDed the Figo twins over the weekend and cannot fathom the interior quality and progressive (as Ford seems to be dropping a few with every update) lack of features (Sync3 etc.) in 2020. The Titanium versions are so spartan.

Or even if one overlooks the age of the Polo/Rapid TSIs, it is difficult to ignore the ASS stories, buggy HU (in Rapid), cramped rear space (in Polo) etc in our own forum.

Guess for folks like me , it comes down to FTD cars/variants coming from mainstream brands like MS, Hyundai, Honda etc.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 9th November 2020 at 18:46.
FAIAAA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 22:31   #39
BHPian

What bout the Tiago JTP, its not available anymore but wasn't it the cheapest of the lot and alot of fun to drive at the same time
Old 10th November 2020, 00:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

I believe Sonet GTX+ Diesel TC should be included in this list. "A proper punchy diesel automatic"

Do you agree guys?
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 01:21   #41
BHPian

I would like to add the Ford Ecosport to the lot.

2020 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India-front-right.jpg

I know its the oldest of the lot, but it is an enthusiast's crossover.

The tyre on the rear door is one of the best looking thing, makes the cross-over look very rugged.

Ask a Seltos/Creta/Sonet owner to close the door of the Ecosport the way they close their car's door, I can bet you the Ecosport's door won't close in one go, they're heavy and close with a "thud".

The suspension is on the stiffer side, and that's one reason for the awesome handling of the Ecosport.

Throw this car into a corner and you will come out .
iamahunter is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 10:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Let the Teslas come! They will go to the top of the list. From the current EVs, none are absolute fun to drive.

Not really. Take ANY car on the opening page of this thread for a spin and you'll be .

True, true. The Duster was an absolute blast on the open road. It was literally flying on the expressway!
One of the most interesting threads for sure. Thank you so much GTO. Coming to EVs, don't you think Tesla would be too expensive in India, especially considering their top-down approach, which is expected ?
Old 10th November 2020, 10:22   #43
BHPian

Great thread. A good 70% of the cars listed will be in my radar. Unlike the Virat Kohli thread :-).

Suggestion: To add to the woke coefficient why not list one of the three EVs as well.
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 10:30   #44
BHPian

Amazing thread as usual. I think Fiat Grande Punto deserves a special mention

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th November 2020 at 12:01. Reason: Typo
gulerianeeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 10:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

I do not believe there is anything such as an enthusiasts car. You can take any car and drive it enthusiastically. I have seen Nano's driven energetically at high speeds . That being said I am glad my current ride and my aspiring ride both are on this list .
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed