Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:41   #166
BANNED

Re: Tata Motors mocks the S-Presso for its zero safety rating

The safety tests are not measures of safe driving. The tests will show how the car can protect you if you are unfortunately involved in a crash - however, there are millions of possibilities that the test will not show. The most important aspect of safety is driving carefully, responsibly and with consideration for others - not a crash test. People who flaunt a live to drive sticker on their car and stop beyond the stop line are real life examples of how to drive irresponsibly. Tata should not be mocking others but they do have a point to make - certain aspects of safety can be and should be incorporated in cars - not as a luxury feature but as an essential feature - like wheels. Most important, however, is to remember that even the safest car can be a death trap if driven rashly and irresponsibly.
paperweight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:42   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
I don't know if it's due to the ad war that Tata has started, Hyundai is now making their ads focussing on safety! And trying to push them in every channel available.
In layman's terms what would be the overall safety rating vis a vis a good crash rating with poor features and a average crash rating with all of the above mentioned features. To my understanding of the structure on which the features that are mounted is not strong even with additional airbags the car would crush like a soda can, is this correct?
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:10   #168

A great campaign which might push the two giants MS and Hyundai to focus more on safety. Maruti's replies currently show their conplete disregard for the safety aspect as long as their products sell. Hope the consumers choose wisely and drive the automobile market in the right direction. Both Tata and Mahindra are working hard on the safety front.
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:39   #169
BHPian

These roast ads are getting too blunt and repetitive / un-novel. Anyways, it's good fun still.

Will be interesting to see sales numbers for next few months. If TATA is unable to add on to sales when there is a strong pull from the market, then it will be tough going. I don't think Hyundai / KIA or Suzuki will get into the mud to take TATA head on in Ad war and provide more publicity to TATA. I expect studious silence.
Carma2017 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:04   #170
BHPian

Looks like they hired an excellent social media team lately and aren't going to leave anyone in and around Tiago's price bracket alone

I hope they are also ironing out their minor niggles, after sales and dealer issues at a similar pace. Situation and user feedback improved a lot lately but they still have a long way to go to completely beat the market leaders.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 22nd November 2020 at 18:20.
klgiridhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:04   #171
Senior - BHPian

I am loving it. Hope manufactures who were taking safety lightly by hiding behind minimum regulatory requirements would be at least forced to think about safety. Along with safety both Tata and Mahindra also need to work on their after sale service part to improve ownership experiences.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:17   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
The safety tests are not measures of safe driving. The tests will show how the car can protect you if you are unfortunately involved in a crash - however, there are millions of possibilities that the test will not show.
Undoubtedly. No test will cover every possible scenario in life. But then, it is not a surprise test where one person could get an easy question and another person gets a difficult one. There is a standard methodology that is followed that is published to everyone. Auto manufacturers can certainly increase their own standards to meet or exceed these levels (look at Tesla or Volvo). A crash test at 64kmph may not replicate 100% of real life but is at least a starting point. Once manufacturers start adhering to these norms, over the course of time, the standards will automatically be raised to keep making cars "more" safer.

This is similar to the emission norms. Started with a base version that kept getting stringent every few years. Are they perfect - nope, but over a period of time, they have ensured cars are slowly but surely getting less polluting. A BS-VI compliant car does not mean zero pollution, but we are getting better. I hope so !
sachinayak is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:22   #173
Senior - BHPian

Very happy to see such an add.

I always hated tin cans and always believed that life is more precious than that extra few kilometres mileage.

However I would not blame the manufacturers for making such soft cars because they are doing what exactly we Indians want. The attitude of "Kitna deti hai" is inside our blood and mileage takes priority over safety features and tough built cars.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 14:39. Reason: spacing for improved readability
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:25   #174
BHPian

Tata Motors mocks the S-Presso for its zero safety rating-screenshot_20201122202232.jpg

Maybe... TATA can take a dig at the Celerio with this

Excuse the crude attempt. Made it with MS Paint.
captain.torque is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:55   #175
BHPian

Was driving on the WEH today. Saw two Venues (don't blame me that both were Hyundai ) with kids less than 10 year old jutting out through the sunroof.

On the Western Express Highway. A highway with pathetic quality roads. Erratic rickshaws and uber olas and what not. The kids are one brake away from losing their teeth. Or face.

This is not only at the lower end. Had seen two kids poking out of a sunroof, on a BMW 5 series. Where? On the Mumbai Pune expressway. Back in October.

While my post is starting to feel off topic, what I want to say is, Tata's jibes at Maruti & Hyundai are clever and well played. They should make the most out of this situation.

But when you have parents, some driving a 10 lac car and some a 60 lac one, putting their kids in danger, how much do you think the Indian public cares about safety?

From an ethical point, maybe yes, Maruti and Hyundai should be taking the responsibility of providing safe cars since 75% cars plying on the roads come from their factories. But when you have the above mentioned idiots among us, why would they bother. Sometimes it makes me think, why should they?

I was enraged when I found these crash test results. Even Tata not crash testing the BS6 Nexon and Harrier, has left me unimpressed.

What's the point of us outraging on this forum? When we have a public which doesn't give a squat about safety? Uses the helmet as an elbow guard, rides the bike on the 1st lane, rides a bike with a wife and 2 kids in the middle of the highway, drives a car at 50 on speedways on the first lane, plugs in the seatbelt and sits over it, doesn't follow traffic rules, and what not.

There's no point in blaming any company. End of the day, customer is king. The day the scales tip and safer cars top the sales charts, these guys will automatically manufacture safe cars. Till then the tin cans will keep selling and Tata will have some funny posts to make on instagram every six months.
TROOPER is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:59   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodriven View Post
All this is cool, but is Tata Motors forgetting that their Tigor/Tiago are also rated unstable??
As Pratap Bose once said in an interview before Hexa launch

"Quality is something you build into the product, and not sprinkle it on the top of it like salt on the food items"

Same applies to safety, for getting zero stars, you need to only spread the coffee around (S Presso I mean). For getting 2 of them, you just sprinkle some more metal and add 2 airbags.

But to get 3 or 4 stars, you develop the product from the scratch keeping the safety in mind. Not the cost and weight saving. Heavier panels / heavier chassis members means:
  • More cost of metal, in terms of weight
  • More cost of processing. Heavier or thicker sheets need higher pressure in dyes etc
  • More cost of transportation at company end, you carry more weight while carrying lesser number of chassis items
  • Higher handling cost, when mass per unit volume is higher, the storage needs to be better for storing similar volume
And a few more, because the mass per unit volume is higher (Where volume is hollow for entire monocoque chassis)

Now your point - Unstable Chassis
I would like to know from you only that which other car under 10 lac on road, offers a stable chassis other than Altroz, Nexon, XUV 300, Polo and Rapid?

Already making a car, that is safer than other light weight counterparts, takes some cost. Note, these are low cost cars, hence they don't use the space age weight saving material - they simply use lesser steel to save the weight.

Now, you want to pay 6 lac, you want everything in terms of features. And then a stable chassis too. But you don't want Tata to increase the prices too.

So, it's simply the least of the multiple evils, and the one worth going for too.
VKumar is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:14   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Now your point - Unstable Chassis
I would like to know from you only that which other car under 10 lac on road, offers a stable chassis other than Altroz, Nexon, XUV 300, Polo and Rapid?
o.
Not sure how you are including the Rapid in this? As far as my knowledge goes, Rapid is not tested in the India GNCAP program. Or are you just extending the Polo results to Rapid ? That doesnt make sense.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 08:05   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Or are you just extending the Polo results to Rapid ? That doesnt make sense.
Nopes, I am extending the Vento results to Rapid, and Vento did fairly well in the NCAP tests. And yes, from very close sources working with VW, the tested car (Brazil Export) was in every manner, same as what we get in India. The low volume doesn’t justify it for VW to make separate chassis for Vento or Rapid than what they export to Brazil etc.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:22   #179
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors mocks the wagonR for its safety rating

After the S-Presso and the Grand i10 Nios , Tata has now taken a dig at Maruti Suzuki wagonR for its two star safety rating on its twitter page. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/image...es/biggrin.gif

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 4608
Size:  432.7 KB

Quote:
Safety is 'two' important to be ignored. Be smart before someone overturns your caRt.
__.gxr.__ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:00   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
And now its time for Wagon R. Truly hilarious.
It was inevitable. If they can target one, they can target another from Maruti too! While fun continues - I just don't find this one imaginative / funny enough. It was a bit of a stretch IMO. It will work only as long as it can create a joke and make people smile. Overdone/boring jibes won't have the desired impact I think.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed