Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 12:46   #1
BHPian

Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating

Here we can see that Ford took the first opportunity and launched a commercial showing the safety of Ecosport by using a real accident clip.

Frankly, this accident clip shown was the one which actually pushed me towards Ecosport after I had almost finalized a similar car from Maruti stable.
iamahunter is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 13:17   #2
BHPian

re: Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating

I witnessed the above accident on my way to work last year. It just makes you think how unpredictable our highways are. Kudos to Ford for keeping their priorities right with safety.
In light of recent poor NCAP scores for Seltos - Ford, TATA and Mahindra should take the opportunity to market their cars heavily. Kia have resorted to fancy marketing strategies blinding the common man to question the safety standards.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:45   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I have the EcoSport and it feels solidly built but I would want to see the GNCAP results first, the ad is misleading!

They are mentioning 5 stars + rating which is anyways not possible so either you conduct the crash testing or you don’t mention some illogical rating. Keep the ad till the part where you say it has a solid thud when you close the doors and the best in class handling with steering feel.

Even though Ford is promoting the car I feel wrong information is being given out in the ad.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 13th November 2020 at 14:48.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Even I have the EcoSport and it feels solidly built but I would want to see the GNCAP results first, the ad is misleading!

They are mentioning 5 stars + rating which is anyways not possible so either you conduct the crash testing or you don’t mention some illogical rating. Keep the ad till the part where you say it has a solid thud when you close the doors and the best in class handling with steering feel.

Even though Ford is promoting the car I feel wrong information is being given out in the ad.
I agree- its just milking the situation. Beyond 5 Stars indeed!
What thud are they talking about? My Linea had the best "thud" among the cars I owned so far. GNCAP score ? not tested.
My 2020 Creta also has a decent "thud". GNCAP score ?-not tested.
Jeep Compass has a great thud-GNCAP score ? not tested. Same with Harrier.
fhdowntheline is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I agree- its just milking the situation. Beyond 5 Stars indeed!
What thud are they talking about? My Linea had the best "thud" among the cars I owned so far. GNCAP score ? not tested.
My 2020 Creta also has a decent "thud". GNCAP score ?-not tested.
Jeep Compass has a great thud-GNCAP score ? not tested. Same with Harrier.
https://www.motorworldindia.com/jeep...0safety%20test.

Compass got 5 stars for the EU version and that has the same body structure as the Indian version as per this article.
Cessna182 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
https://www.motorworldindia.com/jeep...0safety%20test.

Compass got 5 stars for the EU version and that has the same body structure as the Indian version as per this article.
Right-this is commonly perceived so. But Jeep hasn't said it officially. Therefore the proof lies in the testing.
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

Let me remind Ford that the ECosport they sell in India has not been through GNCAP testing.

The Ecosport that did go was export spec with additional safety kit.

Ford also made 300 upgrades to the Ecosport for the European market some of them including for safety and additional reinforcements. These changes were only for export models and not ones sold domestic.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/indian...tweaked-europe

https://indianautosblog.com/ford-eco...europe-p127118

https://autoportal.com/news/ford-has...rket-1369.html

While the ad is cheeky, if I were Ford I would keep quiet since they know they are not really holier than thou.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th November 2020 at 16:39.
Vid6639 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 16:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

I know it is well built, but claiming 5+ stars is too juvenile. Milking the current situation.
Ecosport scored 4 star in Euro NCAP with high ratings for adult occupants. But this is euro spec version. I am sure Indian version is not tested.

Last edited by speedmiester : 13th November 2020 at 16:31.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 17:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ford jumped the gun way too soon with this ad. They should first get it tested before taking an indirect dig at TATA Nexon/XUV3OO mentioning ‘way above 5*’ . This way TATA has truckload of youtube videos on nexon crashes where people came out unscathed. Its kinda childish

TATA or Mahindra can brag as they have solid proof. Indian ecosport is again a chopped version (to bring it within 4m) of the international model. Who knows what other things have been changed? We can’t be sure unless its tested.

Ford, please send the indian ecosport first for testing and then we would buy your ad.

For reference, just like Seltos, 2017 Figo Aspire failed GNCAP crash test with 3* and an Unstable rated bodyshell.
Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating-f17810fa07c5458b93a6128df11975e6.jpeg

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th November 2020 at 17:20.
SoumenD is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 03:06   #10
BHPian

Ford could have taken this opportunity to send Ecosport to GNCAP voluntarily to demonstrate how safe it is. Instead of doing that when the company releases this kind of ad claiming above 5-star safety, it actually diminishes the trust and raises concern. Uninformed customers will be misled by this commercial for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
...2017 Figo Aspire failed GNCAP crash test with 3* and an Unstable rated bodyshell.
I respect your opinion but it's not fair to say that the Aspire "failed" the test; this is not to discount the importance of bodyshell integrity. The GNCAP programme is designed to inform consumers about the level of protection offered by their vehicles. Pass/fail comes into picture in the context of UN/Govt. regulation compliance only.

The following documents (links) should help all of us to better understand various aspects of the programme.

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...d-map-2020.pdf
http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...ocol-Adult.pdf
k_kumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 07:25   #11
BANNED

Whereas everyone is calling a misleading ad, I would say that Ford has gone a bit too overboard with this one.

Thankfully they have simply called it "an owner's opinion" in the end, else this was simply a blunder. When you praise too much, people indeed tend to doubt!

Coming to 'way above 5 stars', that's simply an opinion expressed by an owner stating "I feel that the safety is way above 5 star", I don't see any issue with that statement. This is India, Article 10 guarantees us the 'Right to Freedom of Expression', the car owner has simply done that. We can happily accept it or deny it. I personally belong to the denial gang though, it is the constructive feedback and criticism that makes the manufacturer go back to the drawing board and give us better products, owners need to understand that.

That said, does this video even deserve a thread and a mention on the front page of T-BHP? I doubt. It is simply an over enthusiastic owner's opinion, with which Ford has added a jumping and bumping HR 26 registered Ecosport too, nothing more than that. Take it with a pinch of salt and relax.

BTW, Rushlane guys have gone a bit too harsh on this one. Probably someone felt really bad for not getting featured in the video. I had a hearty laugh going through this article actually, especially when they use the statements like, "Assault on intelligence of car buyers", "Henry Ford must be turning in his grave". My God, the poor creativity of our auto guys these days, they are probably running out of ideas for creating the content, but still are under immense pressure!

https://www.rushlane.com/ford-india-...-12383249.html
Quote:
Having said that, it’s just a video of a customer being proud of his prized crossover and he is definitely allowed to do that. However, for Ford India to promote this video through its official channel with the title “Way above 5 stars” is an assault on the intelligence of car buyers. Henry Ford must be turning in his grave after seeing such an illogical and underhanded promotion by the Blue Oval.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 07:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Coming to 'way above 5 stars', that's simply an opinion expressed by an owner stating "I feel that the safety is way above 5 star", I don't see any issue with that statement. This is India, Article 10 guarantees us the 'Right to Freedom of Expression', the car owner has simply done that.
Doesn't really work like that. Ford is using the ad for commercial purposes. There is a self-regulated body called the ASCI which actively pushes brands to take down mis-leading ads. They take swift and prompt action. Writing to them as we speak.
andafunda is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:21   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford's misleading ad on the EcoSport's safety rating

I appreciate the EcoSport's seemingly nice build and that Ford equips it with safety kit such as 6 airbags, ESP etc. It's also clearly a competent car which shows in its sales figures, despite being 7 years old.

But way "above" 5 stars? What the heck? That's just blatant lying & misleading. Cheap one, Ford. You're better than that. I actually like the ad besides that part though. You can see some terms (thud, tin car) that are frequently used on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2020 at 08:22.
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:26   #14
BHPian

Also, the thud is only on the front doors, the rear doesn't feel like solidly build; they feel more like Hyundai - yup I currently own the 2018 EcoSport. So, the thud is only expected to make the front passengers feel safe?!
styx71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:35   #15
BHPian

Cringed all through the video! Only the titanium+ model and above come with 6 airbags as well as ABS, EBD, EBA, ESP and TCS. So the base model if tested might fetch any number of stars, nobody knows. Having said that I hope it scores a minimum of 3 with a stable structure as I own a Fiesta, on which the ecosport is based off of.
Sebzgeo89 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks