Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th November 2020, 08:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

As much as I don't prefer to touch Skoda with a barge-pole for the fear of service-center-fleecing, I'd find it very understandable for anyone passionate about their product to feel personally disturbed of a very caustic comment made by an unreasonable "reviewer", and answer at 2:15 AM in the night.
WorkingGuru is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 08:38   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Skoda India Head's response: "Rapid Is Old And Expensive? Buy Something Else!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Sir, I too thought the same thing until I realised that the alloys, the tail light, the sharper headlight and the exterior shade all point to the fact that it's indeed a Rapid.
Oh yeah, Rapids are a rare sight in Bangalore or mistaken for Ventos most of the time, and a couple that are in the vicinity are the first gen Rapid.. I almost forgot that the Rapid was Ventoe'd a couple of years ago (sharpened) and save for the creases in the rear of the Rapid both are almost identical

Nonetheless, this varied auto-activism has to stop, its like picking on a stereotyped nerd for not being handsome and also picking on a blonde for being dumb, at the end of the day each are what they are.
dark.knight is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 08:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
In fact it's a shame that we demand such useless features.
Seriously ? I think it is the other way around. It is a shame that Indian customers don't demand anything from "foreign" brands. No wonder they take us for granted. Now I understand his reply was in tune with his customer base. We deserve to be treated like that. Wow....
DieselAddikt is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:03   #19
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
See the Comment from Zac on Twitter for a Vlogger!
Fk’s already inflated ego might have overshot the roof getting a response from Zac. Will surely see a mention of this in his couple of video and milk it for the views.

True as others have mentioned he drives like a maniac. Zac shouldnt have to get himself into Twitter wars, there is no wining against vlogger fanboys.
SideView is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:10   #20
BHPian

Default re: Skoda India Head's response: "Rapid Is Old And Expensive? Buy Something Else!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I don't get it, why did the "customer" put a photo of an infamous YouTube RPM tester standing in front of a VW Vento and is commenting on the Skoda Rapid?
The "customer" who posted this tweet is not an actual customer but that reviewer himself.
self_driven is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Seriously ? I think it is the other way around. It is a shame that Indian customers don't demand anything from "foreign" brands. No wonder they take us for granted. Now I understand his reply was in tune with his customer base. We deserve to be treated like that. Wow....
I'm sorry but you misread it. I said useless features- features that are there for the sake of it and won't make your life any better! Examples include Start stop button, auto headlights and wipers, keyless entry etc which were some of the things mentioned in that tweet

There's meaning in asking for useful features: Folding mirrors, more safety equipment and even a stable structure which can handle further loading. Hey why not properly sized tires? Why can't we demand that?

Many a times, our aam junta demands keyless entry instead of real features. And that's my complaint.

Last edited by Turbohead : 14th November 2020 at 09:26.
Turbohead is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:28   #22
BHPian

The people vote from their pocket. Period. Say what you want about the greatness of your car, the solidity of the structure and the other blurbs, but when you sell a few hundreds each month, it's better to shut your big mouth, hunker down and see what can you do to improve sales. Hope you listen Skoda. If you want an automotive example look no further than Tata, they have been criticised, nitpicked even but they choose to keep their heads down, work hard and the results are showing. Or is this too much to expect from the holier than thou "European"?
AirbusCapt is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

He should be careful of not "Doing a Ratner".
BANDHAV is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:05   #24
BHPian

What Faizal said was an opinion and Zac, as a Head of the organisation, should have been more considerate.

He himself realised it was a mistake and tweeted that he over reacted in reply to a tweet that forwarded this and here members are defending his choice of words.

Why is a Euro manufacturer so superior? Do they do a favour by selling their cars in India?

I see that statement as rude inferring this is what you guys deserve and not the latest generation cars.

Just because the car is engaging to drive pls don't give the manufacturer a free pass and especially to one whose reputation in India for customer service is poor (I'm not going to argue on their progress on that department).

Just a thought, had Guenter Butschek, for example, said something similar we all know what would have happened. The thread would have been on fire.

The Rapid, how much ever a good car it may be, is a 10 year old model and what Faizal said was a fact. Pls don't arugue on the quality of the reviewer because that is irrelevant here.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 14th November 2020 at 10:25.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:19   #25
BHPian

High time. Much needed. Especially in the lights of recent GNCAP fiasco, it’s high time we prioritised safety build quality and driving dynamics more than non essential features like keyless entry and air purifier. And the guy who tweeted is not a customer. He is a “reviewer”

Zac shouldn’t have apologised. We need more leaders like you Zac! He is very proactive and personally attends to real complaints by customers too.

And since when is Rapid expensive? Rapid is one of the most VFM C2 segment cars. There are B2 and C1 cars with half of Rapids prowess selling at more price

Last edited by rageshgr : 14th November 2020 at 10:37.
rageshgr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:35   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I don't get it, why did the "customer" put a photo of an infamous YouTube RPM tester standing in front of a VW Vento and is commenting on the Skoda Rapid? I get the irony there as both are basically the same car but still is it that the customer couldn't differentiate?

Lol he is not the customer, but the same infamous YouTube RPM tester / wheel spinner / Reckless reviewer who takes media and test drive cars for granted who revvs brand new cars out of their lives. I love cars and I would never redline brand new cars / engines. I dislike this guy for this very reason.

I was waiting for someone to counter him and Zac Hollis did it brilliantly.
WhiteSierra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

I checked monthly sales numbers of Skoda after seeing "production capacity" mentioned in his comment. Rapid touched 1000 units a month after a long gap and their total monthly figure is just 1373.
If you have a budget of 10L and below, Rapid base variants makes sense, but for budget of ~12L Honda City V variant is a better option.

In short:
Rapid rider, rider plus - buy
Rider plus auto, ambition - buy if you can get some good discount
Other variants - No, look somewhere else as Zac said.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th November 2020 at 10:45.
Latheesh is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:57   #28
BHPian

I see a dangerous tendency of people jumping to defend multi-billion dollar organisations across many product fora.

I hold a poor opinion of Fasbeam and you can see his TG from the comments - people using words like ricer etc. Teenage kids who buy expensive cars with papa's money, or those who ogle at expensive cars with a dream of buying one themselves some day.

Coming back to Skoda, it is pretty rich of Zac Hollis to respond in such a way and throw a jibe about production capacity. I'd be ashamed of the production capacity being so low, if I were him.

For a brand that has consistently:

(A) cheated customers through shady warranty declines for technical reasons

(B) sold lemon gearbox technology fully knowing India's driving conditions

(C) not improved on even the most basic niggles on their cars since when they first launched - rattles, ABS failures, etc

(D) sold old garbage tech in India in the name of European quality (just see how Skodas are perceived in the UK.)

(E) given a free hand to dealers to loot customers on post-purchase service

..it is extremely rich to look down or act smart with customers.

Judging by Skoda's execution so far including on the used car project, I predict Vision IN will fail miserably unless they change their attitude and execution capability in India.
andafunda is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:22   #29
Team-BHP Support

Fact - its a 10 year old car and sold at a competitive price point for a reason

Another fact - There might be some dynamics behind Zac's comments as some "influencers" are a challenge to deal with.

Yes, some restraint could have been used but sometimes one reaches a point!
ajmat is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 11:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Yes, some restraint could have been used but sometimes one reaches a point!
Maybe for the owner of a local dealership yes, certainly not for the Director of an MNC in India.

Most senior executives at corporates undergo media training and maintaining one's composure is an important part of being the public face of a company.

Further, arrogance should be backed by performance. Otherwise it is just plain hubris.
andafunda is offline   (18) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed