Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th November 2020, 11:31   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda India Head's response to Rapid critique : "Buy something else then!"

I find the reply to be a bit arrogant. He could have instead highlighted the strong points of a Skoda , like the German engineering and the driving experience. Also, not defending Faisal Khan in any way, but if you watch his recent videos, he maintains the speed below the limits, and for a person who gained a huge following primarily due to driving the cars at dangerous speeds , to move away from that is quite respectable I feel. Also, driving safe is not something that should be lauded for, it is mandatory.
SNOWY227 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:32   #92
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda India Head's response to Rapid critique : "Buy something else then!"

The internet for sure will be divided on opinions here between Faisal and Zac. To me, both are right in their perspective, and Faisal just pointed something out, nothing more.

While this is totally off topic from this thread, something I wish other prospect buyers should know more about the 'other' features that VAG cars offer, which they fail to market well. For example, all four windows have one touch up-down, even in mid to low variants, anti pinch as well, and you can roll all the windows up or down using the remote key, plus some hidden features like if lock on remote has been pressed and a door is open, it will lock as soon as that door is closed, and lot more, which are far more 'convenient' than other 'fancy' features such as push button start; in real life, it has better experience.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:57   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another problem is that when management is so arrogant, it filters down the entire chain, right down to the dealerships & sales personnel. Not good for business.
You couldn't have said it better. Few years ago, there was an auto-expo in Chennai. Me being the typical conservative person went to the venue in a two wheeler to avoid parking hassles and carried the helmet to the expo area (hint for the stall representative that I came in a bike & judge accordingly). Every manufacturer stall I visited or enquired were responsive, either active or passive, except for the Skoda. Again, this stall was put up by the dealer. They had a Laura, Laurin & Klement, on display. I am very much aware of the specs of it and enquired the price on road. The reply from the representative was with a wry smile, "Are you to going to buy one ?". Suppressed my ego & took that comment as a moral booster. For the next few purchases in family, went ahead and bought the Vento instead of the Rapid and Jeep Compass instead of the Octavia (was dad's choice), a few years later. Sorry for going Off topic !

Zac's response may have been appropriate in his own view but that kind of response doesn't go well with the culture of the geography where consumers expect you to treat with respect no matter how silly their negotiations are (in event of a purchase). He could've reworded it better but he can't be perceived as arrogant, for the way, he managed the Black edition crisis that we all are aware off.

The Vloggers, the less said, the better
acarun.vel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:07   #94
BHPian

As an enthusiast, I (and I'm sure many others) do appreciate the candid and honest answers from Zac Hollis.

Cars behave differently based on how they're used & what owners expect from it. With usage by non-enthusiasts, the overall experience of any car surely cannot remain the same after a decade. Some parts are sure to naturally deteriorate based on how the car was used & whether the owner prefers to repair or replace the part.

Even Toyota owners will confirm that ALL the parts of the entire car don't exude the same experience they did when new. Any discerning consumer who's experienced different products could re-consider whether its worth for them to retain the old product.

Apart from that, it'd be amazing if Skoda finds itself in the position to be able to find a new way to process periodic maintenance servicing such that owners find that they are being treated fairly. It'd be an industry-first!
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:12   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
See the Comment from Zac on Twitter for a Vlogger!
Can we not post these twitter posts & their crappy-smart-sounding responses / comments on team-bhp.

What's clear in this twitter post to me:
Vlogger has no clue why he needs key less entry and menacing start/stop features on his Rapid !

Zac mate was too straight in his response .
niruvrs9669 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:31   #96
BHPian

Social media: a platform to say things that you would not say in person.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:47   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
I can't find value in any of its higher variants, it's such an old package , same is the case with Volkswagen Polo & Vento.
Got the 2020 Vento Highline at 10.1 lacs on road with a Noida registration in September. Mats, mudflaps, an OEM coat hanger, and an OBD based VW Car Connect dongle were thrown in as freebies. Got the OEM camera installed for ~10k extra.

Benchmarked this configuration for a couple of months with multiple options across segments, including the Nexon, Amaze, and the then upcoming Jazz before biting the bullet. Trust you me, nothing came close to the VFM proposition that the Vento offered with these discounts (the car was priced at 9.99 lacs ex-showroom)!

Needless to say, the sweet 1.0 TSI mill and the build quality is more than a cherry on the top, and make this variant of the Vento quite an understated and all rounded package at the price point it is available (if one could ignore the absence of push buttons and larger than required touchscreens, that is).

Last edited by SuvidC : 17th November 2020 at 12:48. Reason: fixing the quote tags
SuvidC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:28   #98
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Gowardhan View Post
Quiet honestly, while Faizal Khan may have a massive fan following, I find his reviews worthless and biased in some cases. For most part, his reviews are full of fast talking and driving like a maniac. Remaining he just flips through the buttons.

As for Zac's reply, I d say it takes courage to make a car.
Seriously disagree. He is one of the best auto reviewers. His opinions are honest and to the point. Never found them biased. He does talk fast but that is hardly a vice. He reviews vehicles thoroughly and "giving the beans" is very enjoyable. That is the true test of an engine. If his reviews are worthless then why are they watched by so many?
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:39   #99
BHPian

No matter who the customer (in this case Faisal) or how relevant his/her point was, I feel Zac's response was unprofessional- he could've toned it down.

It may or may not impact VAG's sales in India but that's not the point. I'm not sure if this is the case, but even when people occupying such high positions post from their personal social media accounts, it would tend to be construed as being done in official capacity.
vivek_lm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:43   #100
BHPian

True, Faizal Khan talks a lot! And, most of the times, his focus is on acceleration and the like where most people may not be finding particular interest.

But I still feel that what he said about Rapid is a fact. Not only that Skoda does not match up with the feature list offered by other manufacturers, it is said to be a pain to get parts, etc. Forget about adding gizmos, you do compensate on ride and stability boxes. But Skoda could have at least made spare parts affordable, using these ten years of a car that is said to be India-spec. So, whoever's says it, Skoda could still have looked at the criticism made, accepted the (de)merits in it, and responded more amicably by highlighting build quality and ride as its forte. Skoda could have used such a free opportunity to earn more goodwill. One does not have to be arrogant, especially one has still a long way to go, with India 2.0 project commencing.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:50   #101
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, I get a feeling that the undercurrent in this thread is a distinct dislike for FK as a person (fast talking, speaks English like a school dropout) and the way he reviews.
Skoda not upto the mark compared to its peers in the same price range is a fact, save for the enthusiasts badge. Majority are not enthusiasts. Hence the majority will feel short changed for the features provided for the price. Most of the manufacturers are providing keyless entry and push button start. If the market didn't need it then why are they providing it in the first place?

Mods - Please delete if not relevant.
rajivr1612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:08   #102
AZT
BHPian

Just read the first page comments and why are people hating on the reviewer, how does it matter. If Zac had replied the same to GTO or Team-bhp official page would it have been justified. Totally off track some people go.

That was shit reply by Zac and I'm glad he apologized.
AZT is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:24   #103
BHPian

Seems like Zac managed to watch a few reviews from Faisal and was disgusted by the way this guy goes about doing his job. I saw one where Faisal does this review of new Wagon R somewhere near Udaipur. This guy is a nerd and if he continues like this I am afraid he would romp down a few pedestrians or cars. I was quite aghast seeing that and have no respect for this guy. Being a human such emotions can play up on us and we might end up with such responses. But being a company head, and knowing the power of social media any leader no matter how much passionate he is has to think twice before posting any comment. He did apologize later on though when the adrenaline rush must have subsided .
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:24   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
See the Comment from Zac on Twitter for a Vlogger!
IMO, Faisal Khan is NOT someone I'd call an honest and straightforward reviewer. I've never got why he's got so much following. What makes up a major part of his reviews is revving the car to the limit, be it a Swift or an AMG. And then he uses the same couple of words like "phenomenal power" and "phenomenal acceleration" to describe the cars he likes. My ranting doesn't end here. In the Chiron review (he didn't get to drive it), he went around the car and actually told viewers that the car comes with LED headlights and leather interiors.

As for the Rapid, like with its VW counterparts, the short-feature-list factor's balanced out by the extremely pleasurable drive and the safety, which none of the feature-loaded rivals give. Plus, all I wish they added was a sunroof. There is a 2012 Polo and a 2019 Monte Carlo in my family, and we've never regretted buying them.
Claws is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:42   #105
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Rapid 1.0 TSI Petrol : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
If his reviews are worthless then why are they watched by so many?
For the very same reason videos on JCB digging pits get 3 Crs+ views.

I feel his content is more focussed an audience who drools about gizmos and features in a car. Maniac-like driving and a truckload of high pitched talking isn't exactly my idea of understanding on how a car performs. There is very little credible talk on how the car handles in acceleration, braking, on bad roads, on speedbreakers, in bumper to bumper traffic etc.

If there is any doubt about his reviewing skills then do see his review on the Maruti Gypsy and confirm if it isn't utterly useless. He drives the Gypsy exactly as it shouldn't be. There are some reviews of the Gypsy done by regular people (few even in regional language) which are more enriching than Faizal's review.
R_Gowardhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed