Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you keep a beater car?
Yes 454 80.93%
No 107 19.07%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 10:16   #106
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : The cheap beater car

Voted No.

A beater car won't work for me. Main reasons - Only one car parking space and no one else drives at home.

So it is my Scross does all the duty. May it be a 2km local run or 200kms out on the highway, Scross works for all. I have only one parking at home which is occupied by my cousin's less running Ecosport and Scross is parked on the road for the ease of taking it out every day.

But I toy the idea of an ideal garage with a pre worshipped petrol, maybe a civic or something, for the lesser / pleasure runs and a powerful diesel for the rest. Will work on it once I have a big enough garage or when wifey starts driving.
northstar* is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:04   #107
NH7
BHPian

I don’t like the word ‘beater car’.
If it’s a car you use for the sundry/ grocery/school runs and in tight/shady neighborhoods to preserve your bigger and better car, Yes, I definitely see value in such a car. My trusty Santro Xing AT fitting the bill perfectly, while I preserved, nursed and cherished my E46.
If beater means cheap to run, more forgiving on (lack of) maintenance, and easier on the conscience to thrash, then I’m not sure.
The Santro served us so well, in fact, that I felt terribly guilty on numerous counts- filling fuel from anywhere, 5 minute run- 10 minute stop- 5 minute runs throughout, watchman wash, for cause FNG maintenance only, Open/ road parking, driving without mechanical empathy, cable tie and Quickfix repairs etc. Yet, the Santro NEVER let us down.
Herein lies my problem. I couldn’t bear to ‘beat’ the car anymore. The family also did not like the aggressive, nothing to lose driver I was becoming in it. So, I passed it on, with a heavy heart and realization that for me, with cars, there’s a lot more than ‘Serves the purpose/ makes economic sense’.

I revived and fully restored my wife's old Kinetic Honda myself. Currently using it for domestic errands. I did not vote.
NH7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 21:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

Reading team-bhp sometimes makes me feel this is some kind of alternate universe.

I know absolutely no one in my circle in India who has a "beater" car. Heck, if I ask someone what is a beater car they wouldn't know what it is.

Once a car becomes beaten, it gets sold off and new one comes in. And people who have multiple cars, recycle all their cars but never keep a beater unless it's good luck charm or something.
amol4184 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:23   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

As some members have written I too had never heard the phrase 'beater car' till I got hit by Team BHP. How times are changing as middle class India gets more prosperous that we can talk of and possess a second car and worse a third beater car. I'm not complaining being guilt of the latter. as libranof1987 has written it really is a function of family size, availability of parking and size of the budget.

For my family our Honda Amaze serves the role of chores, utility runs, ferrying domestic staff, taking my wife to the narrow gullies of Delhi-NCR for her shopping therapy and (good Lord!) ferrying her many plants. I would not call it the city car or the beater car. It is the small car used for functional trips needed to keep the house running. Earlier it was my mother and aunt's car but now due to age & covid they almost don't step out. I think we need a more dignified term than beater car - makes it sound like a ramshackle vehicle which isn't the case for most BHPians at least. Our beater gets the same tender love and care as the other two bigger cars though it clocks less on the odometer given that its runs are all within a 10 kms radius.

When I was a kid my bicycle was the beater! It was our main vahan for utility runs and as a teenager I was quite happy doing this. Made me feel important.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd April 2021 at 09:32.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 18:30   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post

From a maintenance standpoint, maybe a Japanese car will turn out cheaper but then I just can't get over the way this car handles. Maybe I'll keep this for 5 more years and replace it with a small automatic then. A beater is supposed to be more head than heart, but I fear this is turning the other way around.
Guys, I'm in quite a confusion here.

After I got the Figo, I've spent almost 60K on it, excluding fuel. I purchased it for 2.7L 19 months ago. Now the price being offered is 2L tops. So 1.3L lost in expenses/depreciation. Do I keep the car or sell it?

Now my wife has quit her job and we don't really need the car anymore. Furthermore, she can use her dad's spark whenever she needs to occasionally.

Do you feel it makes sense to hold on to it, pay for the usual services/repairs or part ways? Even if I keep the car for another 5 years, how much more will I have to spend? 35K for service at 7K each, 20K for insurance at 4K each, 15K for suspension overhaul, another 20K for battery, AC gas, other repairs. So that's 90K.
And it might fetch a lakh when I sell it in 2026.

Case 1 (odo@77,000)= Sell now and lose 1.3L in 19 months of ownership = 6842/month.
No use for the car now, so need to maintain it. Scooter and FIL's spark can do beater duties.

Case 2 (odo@1,10,000)= Sell in 2026 and lose 3.2L in 65 months of ownership =4923/month
Keep it for city rides, or a scooter substitute during monsoons; and save the Ecosport for highway duties.

I'd like your advice, people!

Last edited by Vibhav-Van : 29th April 2021 at 18:31.
Old 29th April 2021, 20:27   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Do I keep the car or sell it?
You could sell it and invest 200k in an asset that appreciates or park it in FD for next 5 years. This is valid only if you absolutely dont need this car. On the other hand why not retain this and sell the older spark? Since you have already invested substantial amount on this car there is no reason to sell it at present. I was also thinking of selling both the cars and getting a brand new alto and have peace for next 5 years.

Despite the above, you can hold on to figo for sometime and find a suitable buyer above 2.25k and take lower hit. If it is not urgent, why sell it in the first place? The rainy season is coming and it's better to have a spare car around in dire circumstances. Sorry for adding more confusion
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:25   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Despite the above, you can hold on to figo for sometime and find a suitable buyer above 2.25k and take lower hit. If it is not urgent, why sell it in the first place? The rainy season is coming and it's better to have a spare car around in dire circumstances. Sorry for adding more confusion
Thank you, doxinboy. Your point with the rainy season is spot-on.
My only fear is if it will spring up with any unforeseen expenses. Till date, I've replaced tyres, battery, stabilizer link rods, starter motor, coolant hose, wash-wipe set and some other smaller stuff. I wonder if there's anything more to expect, apart from a suspension overhaul or AC parts.

While there is no real need for this car today, it can be quite handy especially for errands. And I just love the way it drives, especially that pure hydraulic steering. But the usual middle-class guilt kicks in and scares me from keeping something for no real need a.k.a luxury. The fact that there is so much destruction in the society right now makes me even more guilty.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:33   #113
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Guys, I'm in quite a confusion here.

After I got the Figo, I've spent almost 60K on it, excluding fuel. I purchased it for 2.7L 19 months ago. Now the price being offered is 2L tops. So 1.3L lost in expenses/depreciation. Do I keep the car or sell it?

Now my wife has quit her job and we don't really need the car anymore. Furthermore, she can use her dad's spark whenever she needs to occasionally.

Do you feel it makes sense to hold on to it, pay for the usual services/repairs or part ways? Even if I keep the car for another 5 years, how much more will I have to spend? 35K for service at 7K each, 20K for insurance at 4K each, 15K for suspension overhaul, another 20K for battery, AC gas, other repairs. So that's 90K.
And it might fetch a lakh when I sell it in 2026.

Case 1 (odo@77,000)= Sell now and lose 1.3L in 19 months of ownership = 6842/month.
No use for the car now, so need to maintain it. Scooter and FIL's spark can do beater duties.

Case 2 (odo@1,10,000)= Sell in 2026 and lose 3.2L in 65 months of ownership =4923/month
Keep it for city rides, or a scooter substitute during monsoons; and save the Ecosport for highway duties.

Why not sell the Spark and keep the Figo? I am assuming the Figo is the newer one. It is also more spacious and you have already spent some money on it.
Old 29th April 2021, 21:51   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Why not sell the Spark and keep the Figo? I am assuming the Figo is the newer one. It is also more spacious and you have already spent some money on it.
Well, the Spark belongs to my father-in-law; and it’s his first car. So he doesn’t want to part ways with it. Also, Figo is from 2013 while Spark is from 2014 so more or less similar vintage.
Old 30th December 2021, 00:17   #115

Beater car to learn driving for an 18 year old.

Intro:

Hello BHPians.
I'm extremely humbled to be on this amazing platform and to have such distinguished individuals providing sensible viewpoints regarding car buying, maintenance and everything else on 4 wheels. Having been hooked onto cars since I was one (yeah, my dad says I could identify all cars and bikes in my road since I was roughly 1 year old, weird flex but ok), this is my fun time in an otherwise boring student life. God I miss those carefree days.

Body:

Right now I'm almost 18 years old. I have some experience driving a 3 pedal car, namely moving the car in and out of parking and driving to the next street under my father's supervision I'm currently learning in our '05 Swift VXI. Already stalled it multiple times and got a mouthful from my father. One takeaway is that I've become comfortable with the ABC pattern now and I can kind of gauge throttle response and turning radius around our corners.

The twist in the tale is that we're getting a new Tata Nexon Petrol in Feb '22 and we are selling our Swift as well. Although my father has never discouraged me to not drive around, I feel scared to handle a new car, more so when this is our first brand new car and our second car after more than 12 years.

So me and my dad have reached an agreement, that he will buy me a beater car to hone my driving skills, and Bangalore is no less than the perfect playground to do so. He's agreed to teach me properly once I get my DL after 12th exams. Also he's been driving since the 90's so he easily notices every tiny detail of my driving and can spot mistakes well in advance.

He has put forth a few simple requirements: budget of around 2L, max 2.5L, car should be reliable, and no Germans. And also, I've promised him to pay back the entire amount before I complete my degree.

My requirements:
1. Safety (no excuses in this regard, ABS and airbags bare minimum)
2. Enough performance to enjoy occasional stretches of open roads.
3. Being a soon to be college student, the last thing I would want is the car to break down often, so going down the typical 'uncle' route of a fuss-free car
4. Decent FE to not break my pocket money
5. Basic creature comforts are enough to satisfy me, power windows, power steering, AC, and a basic music system are all it needs to satisfy this purist.
6. Although not top priority, any street cred would be appreciated

Additional notes:
- I'm 6'3 with a skinny build, so comfort, especially driver seat comfort, is paramount.
- I will use the car for monthly outings on the highway, so highway manners are a point of consideration.
- It will mostly be driven by me only, with occasional drivers being dad and friends.
- I do intend to keep this car for quite a while, meanwhile saving up for greater goals and aspirations in life.
- No discrimination among fuels.
- No clue about daily running, although I would expect it to be around 1k km a month, considering college runs and occasional learning lessons from dad on weekends.

Considered Options:
*Hyundai Verna
*MS Dzire/ SX4
*Honda City/ Jazz
*Hyundai i20
*Tata Manza

Although I'm a speed addict from childhood, as time passed by, and having watched all horrific incidents on our roads, it makes no sense for me to carry the same attitude on these streets. So keeping a rational mind(and dad's advice), I have a patient approach whenever I'm behind the wheel. I thought I'd never say these words, but I guess that's just maturity, or I'm too sober.

Dad prefers small hatchbacks, but the reason I included the sedans is that they provide a good learning curve on our roads, and they're neither too big nor too small, just big enough for other motorists to acknowledge its presence.

Also I really wanted to include the Fiesta and the Figo but with Ford's exit my dad is pretty unsure about after-sales support so dropped the idea altogether. And, if anyone recommends a reliable German car, I won't hesitate to speak to him about it.

I did read another similar forum, and although it was a good choice(Polo 1.6), the budget was way higher than mine, and if I ever showed my dad that forum, he would abandon this idea altogether. I did try to convince my dad to not sell the Swift, but he just said that it is too old and that it is the right time to let go.

Conclusion:
So I request all readers to provide your valuable suggestions. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I feel that this thread would resonate with a lot of young enthusiasts in the same boat as me.

Thanks and cheers!
Tronix is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:38   #116
BHPian

Cheap beater car (Yes / No); Which one?

Hi everyone

I am exploring whether I should buy a beater car or not (and if yes, which option). I could use a few suggestions from this community. My wife and I currently have a Jeep Compass Petrol Automatic for about 1.5 years now and are very happy with it. She drives to work 3-4 days a week, and the remaining weekdays I drive to work (1-2 /week). Weekends we mostly travel together.

Whenever I need to travel within the city and the Jeep is not available, I take Uber/Ola and if I am able to preplan, I prefer BluSmart. However, lately I have been facing frequent issues with Uber/Ola and it gets frustrating. I know its not a new trend and social media is plagued with complaints about Uber/Ola . I had almost stopped using Uber/Ola because of the poor conditions of the cars, the driver behaviour and their whimsical cancellation requests, often high wait time and at times the atrocious prices for short distances.

I have done rough assessment and financially it does not make sense to buy a new or used car, given that the usage will be very low. Uber/Ola/Blusmart will turn out to be cheaper. However, the above listed issues some times just boil your blood and financial logic gives way to preferences for convenience.

I wouldn't mind buying a bicycle for short distances, however staying in Gurgaon, I can confirm that the dust and bad traffic sense will really discourage you from riding bicycles on the roads.

I am eligible for a car lease program from my office, but don't want to commit to the cash outflow (or another loan).

Constraints & requirements:
  1. Usage is less than 300KM/month; I just need the car for running errands, go for playing tennis, all within 5 KM from my home, and for barely 3-4 days a week.
  2. Budget < 3.5/4 Lacs (lower, the better); I already have a loan for the Jeep Compass and my house
  3. Petrol (Delhi NCR 15 year rule). will prefer to use the beater for as long as possible
  4. Wife is against manual since she says she wont be comfortable driving a manual now that she is used to automatic. However she and I have driven manual cars all our life and since its a car for running errands, go for tennis, I believe I will be the only one using it. Manual options fit my budget.
  5. Not worried about fuel efficiency, but need the car to be mechanically sound.
  6. I strongly prefer a car with decent suspension , but might need to stretch my budget
  7. Wife and I have decided to not go for 2 wheelers - never ridden in our life nor does it make sense in Gurgaon's dust filled and poor traffic infested roads.
  8. Used EVs (such as that of Bhpian SS-Traveller) seem interesting but there are charging limitations in our society. However not dismissing such options
  9. If we end up with a used car, then will prefer to buy from someone we know (directly or indirectly or via Team-Bhp) or from reliable(ish) used car brands. Don't want to go via OLX. Recently someone I know bought a Jeep Compass Petrol from Spinny and was happy with the experience.

Options being explored:
  1. 2016 Tata Tiago XZ petrol manual; has served my dad without any headaches in the last 7 years and easily fits in my budget. Problem - its a manual and wife is not comfortable with manual. I have driven the car and think its jst right for my requirements. Estimated price 4.2Lacs as per online valuation
  2. 2013 VW Polo Trendline manual for about 3.5Lacs being sold by an acquaintance. I have not seen the car but I am told it is maintained fairly alright. I like the Polo but its almost 10 years old now and wife is against Manual.
  3. Spinny; came across a 2015 Alto automatic for 3.12Lacs; I am not keen for an Alto since the suspension is poor. I don't mind the AMT (not a fan of AMT, but need to look at the budget).

What options have I not explored?

Thanks to Bhpian Ninjatalli who patiently listened to me crib today and helped me explore a few options and direct me to some of the interesting threads.
aayusht is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 10:57   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap beater car (Yes / No); Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Hi everyone

I am exploring whether I should buy a beater car or not (and if yes, which option). I could use a few suggestions from this community. My wife and I currently have a Jeep Compass Petrol Automatic for about 1.5 years now and are very happy with it. She drives to work 3-4 days a week, and the remaining weekdays I drive to work (1-2 /week). Weekends we mostly travel together.

As there is the 10/15 year rule in NCR, second hand car will have limited road life.

I have an Alto K10 and its run is less than 1000 km/year (20k in 13 yers) which I use for short distance travel - markets, friends etc.

Get a new K10 and enjoy it for next 15 years. In the past 13 years I have rarely faced any problems. The tyres lasted 10 years so I am on second set. Battery changed twice and brake pads once. The service costs are less than 3K from MASS (includes oil, fluids, washing etc)
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:55   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As there is the 10/15 year rule in NCR, second hand car will have limited road life.

I have an Alto K10 and its run is less than 1000 km/year (20k in 13 yers) which I use for short distance travel - markets, friends etc.

Get a new K10 and enjoy it for next 15 years. In the past 13 years I have rarely faced any problems. The tyres lasted 10 years so I am on second set. Battery changed twice and brake pads once. The service costs are less than 3K from MASS (includes oil, fluids, washing etc)
Hi Aroy, thanks for the suggestions. I should have clarified, I plan to use the car for 6-7 years (max) and after that dont mind getting it scrapped.
Besides, thinking of a pre-worshiped car to get the benefit of first 3-4 years of depreciation.
Old 28th March 2023, 20:15   #119
Senior - BHPian

You have most of the things sorted but when you said "good suspension" the Tiago trumps its competitors.
The only hitch is the AMT and across brands, I would recommend a MT but if you want to try your luck with an AMT that's your call.

Do remember that coming from a smooth shifting AT, the AMT will feel worse than coming from a MT where you appreciate the convenience, IMHO.

Outside of the Tiago, some used options to consider :
- Ignis
- Swift
- i10 : you can try to find the AT it used to come with but be wary of poor FE

Last edited by shancz : 28th March 2023 at 20:16. Reason: typos
Old 28th March 2023, 22:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayusht View Post
Used EVs (such as that of Bhpian SS-Traveller) seem interesting but there are charging limitations in our society. However not dismissing such options
Your requirements scream out EV. Unfortunately, you might not find a suitable one in the market but if there ever was an ideal use case for a Reva, yours has to be it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks