Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 22:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign

An update on the fuel pump inspection carried out on my diesel Seltos. Related post below.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4916601 (Kia Seltos : Official Review)

My D AT Seltos was part of the fuel pump inspection/replacement campaign.
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-screenshot_20201117220554_whatsapp.jpg

Hence I took my car to Advaith Kia Bangalore on Lalbagh Road last week. Below are the details I gathered from the service advisor and technician.

All Diesel Seltos that are manufactured between 01 Oct'19 and 13 th March 2020 are part of this recall.

I guess there are no proactive communication to owners, I didn't get any. Only got to know about it through fellow owners.

If the fuel pump is faulty, one would experience vehicle vibration, low pick up, starting trouble. They would inspect the pump and would replace it only if it's found to have some specific damage.

For the faulty ones, a hole would've formed at the bottom of this filter.
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-screenshot_20201117214736_gallery.jpg

There could also be a crack of the plastic part i've circled in red.
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-screenshot_20201117214620_whatsapp.jpg

In either or both the scenarios, the fuel pump would be replaced under warranty. My car didn't need any replacement as it was found to be in order.

Since I have taken the car for service, I got a proactive check done on DPF and the O2 sensor and expectedly it was found to be clogged at 77% which means a DPF warning/MIL warning was round the corner.
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-20201107_115635.jpg

Hence an active DPF regeneration had to be manually triggered which lasted around 30 mins, at least 3-4 litres of fuel would've easily got burned. Last 1500 odd kms was being used only in city with few drives on highways to get passive regeneration triggered for DPF.

I also had co passenger seat rattle when it's not occupied. Same has been fixed by them tightening the bolts.

Had to again got taping done on the rear seat locks to get rid of rattle. Same was done for rear parcel tray too. This seems to be done regularly at service.

I got the air filter, ac filter and air purifier filter cleaned apart from topping up fluids wherever necessary.

The infotainment version was updated with latest one. Hello Kia is now enabled. Just a word of caution here. People who like the old layout with multiple widgets on home screen etc should stick to existing one. I've not explored much with the new version. Will update on this later.

Got the wheels balanced, tyres rotated and alignment done at Madhus. A great job done by them as always.

There's no more complimentary cabin sanitizing done now. It's chargeable at ₹1200 or so. i've self sanitized it before taking over the car. I also had taken a test drive of IMT Sonet while my car was being tended to. I didn't see any sanitizing being done(not even on the frequently touched controls) before the car was given for test drive. The earlier vigil and rigour on hygiene and sanitization seems to be on the wane. I took a short drive of 3-4 kms with windows rolled down, just wanted to taste the IMT experience.

The visit was not part of a scheduled service. I was charged 240 odd Rs. for the other works they attended which was reasonable. After this, I've driven 700 odd kms on a highway trip without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-20201107_130151.jpg  

Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-20201107_130156.jpg  

Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-20201107_125722.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th November 2020 at 22:29.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:00   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign

Thanks for sharing, Bibendum90949! Moving your post to a new thread so that no Seltos owner misses it. Will also add to our news section.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just appending the Kia' s service bulletin too
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign-img20201025wa0084.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update @Bibendum90949. As you mentioned, it’s not a proactive recall I believe. My car was manufactured in February 2020 and haven’t received any communication. I haven’t experienced any symptoms which you have explained in my car. I’ll probably wait until the 10K service for them to check.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th November 2020 at 08:45.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Thanks for the update @Bibendum90949. As you mentioned, it’s not a proactive recall I believe. My car was manufactured in February 2020 and haven’t received any communication. I haven’t experienced any symptoms which you have explained in my car. I’ll probably wait until the 10K service for them to check.
Yes it's not proactive aka a discreet recall/inspection. Our manufacturers are too wary to announce such things for the obvious negative press(if ever there's one who reports unbiased) and a bad impression it creates among potential and existing customers.

If they're indeed suspecting issue with fuel pump, I feel Kia should have informed all impacted customers proactively than making them possibly stranded, which will create inconvenience to owners. Won't such a situation leaves a worst impression than a recall announcement. With this kind of discreet approach, they are waiting for symptoms to surface up or the pump to get conked up and owners reporting it or inspecting them when the cars come in for scheduled service.

Well this is India and too many of them gets away with such unethical practices

@guyfrmblr : if you're taking your car out of town, it's better to get it 'proactively' inspected than getting caught unawares and stranded. I got it inspected before my interstate trip.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 18th November 2020 at 09:07.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 10:59   #6
BHPian

So if the inspected fuel pump hasn't developed a hole or a crack yet, how are they concluding that it will not happen in the future?
Shouldn't they replace all pumps of the affected batch proactively when it's a known issue?
sunilg33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Certain management practices stem directly from the personal attributes of the people at the helm.
Kia India must have at least some one in their leadership team to step up and say- we are going to proactively look at all issues surrounding the Seltos, whether its brakes or fuel pump etc. No product is and ever will be perfect. Even the biggest and best have been afflicted with lack of transparency (Boeing 737 Max e.g).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th November 2020 at 11:43.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 13:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign

Kia seems to have released a press statement as per this website.

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/kia-sel...-12383776.html

Quote:
Kia Motors press statement; “At Kia Motors, there is a regular practice of upgrading the product. On the feedback received from customers and various sources, necessary improvements are done keeping customers in mind. For vehicles already on road, a communication / guideline is released to the dealers giving details of the inspection process and repairs to be carried out. The recent communication, involves inspection of fuel pump & in-case of any observation dealer is required to carry out repair / replacement as the case may be. There is no recall which is announced, it is basically a Service Action Campaign being done on the Kia cars to ensure that our customers do not face any inconvenience.”
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 09:22   #9
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos Diesel: Fuel pump service inspection campaign

Thank you for this headsup @Bibendum90949!

Few weeks back, my car went for its second service. I specifically requested for diesel fuel pump inspection just to be on the safer side. The SA initially was casual about it saying 2020 cars dont need this check and this matter has garnered unnecessary media attention. But they had done the inspection as part of the routine service job and found it to be ok.

Also, had requested for DPF filter check as well and he said its healthy and there is no clogging so far.

On a side note, after the second service, the car runs even more smoother now and mileage has increased perceptibly with all the filters cleaned. Was able to see it hit 25+ kmpl on recent highway runs. Ofcourse, the driving conditions might also have been contributed to this. Dont need AC all the time owing to the current weather and average speeds were also around 70-80 kmph due to increased highway traffic on the weekends.
SA did mention about having the filters cleaned every 6 months as a good practice which I need to follow henceforth and it is also a good midpoint check for DPF as well.
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed