Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 20:41   #106
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

My friend was looking for a first car and we were in the market to lookout for a VFM + a good looking option below 12 Lakhs OTR Bangalore. I was guiding him and finalised Nissan Magnite (DT - Red, CVT) and have booked it with a refundable amount of 11k. Delivery is slated only by end March or early April due to DT Red colour being very limited in production.

Nissan's service network less in number but is not a problem in a city like Bangalore. I was waiting for Renault's launch of KIGER and I am seriously considering to suggest him to get the KIGER instead of Magnite. It looks more premium compared to Magnite on the first looks. Can we expect it to be available by April if we go ahead and pre-book once dealers start accepting it officially or unofficially?

I am expecting it to be priced ~ 25k to 40k above Magnite as it has drive modes, Air Quality Control unit. Any thoughts on the pricing? Also, I did not hear anything on safety features such as HA, TC, VDC which magnite has in the CVT variant. Any idea if KIGER will have them?
vasi_raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 21:19   #107
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Renault Kiger vs Nissan Magnite:

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-5.jpg

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-1.jpg

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-2.jpg

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-3.jpg

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-magnite-vs-kiger-4.jpg

Source

Last edited by Beelzebub : 28th January 2021 at 21:22.
Beelzebub is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:07   #108
BHPian

IMO, Magnite is better looking of the two. Clean and the side profile is more of a SUV than a hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-untitled1-copy.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-untitled2-copy.jpg  

rascalangel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 22:55   #109
BHPian

IMO MAGNITE looks more sober than KIGER, With right price, 4 Star rating, good features, MAGNITE has already set a decent benchmark in affordable CSUV.
Would be interesting to see crash test rating of KIGER.
im_chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:29   #110
Senior - BHPian

After more time to check initial videos on YouTube, I noticed the Kiger does not have cruise control feature. I see members mentioning its lacking sunroof. Is cruise control not important anymore or this car is, largely, considered a city car and thus omission of cruise control is okay?

That apart, a very nice looking car, inside out. Much prefer Kiger to the Nissan Magnite (since I have no affinity, familiarity or interest in Kwid). But missing cruise control, could be a crucial factor for some buyers (as any suv, compact or big, is no more restricted to just city use).

What's your take on the missing cruise control?
Old 28th January 2021, 23:49   #111
BHPian

This could also be seen as a shrunken international Captur. I see lot of similarities in exterior and interior.

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-captur-4.jpgRenault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-kiger-1.jpgRenault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-captur_interior.jpgRenault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-kiger_interior.jpg
Nalin Kumar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 00:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

CEAT to provide tyres for Renault Kiger

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20210129_001104.jpg

CEAT Tyres on announced that it will be supplying its Secura Drive range of tyres for all models of the new Renault Kiger.

Quote:
Mr. Amit Tolani, Chief Marketing Officer, CEAT Tyres Ltd said, “We are thrilled to announce our continued association with Renault for the launch of the new Renault Kiger B-SUV. CEAT has partnered with Renault in the past for the Renault Triber. A company like Renault continuing to choose us as the OEM partner reinstates the fact that CEAT has top-notch product offering."
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 01:39   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I see members mentioning its lacking sunroof.

What's your take on the missing cruise control?
I don't mind missing sunroof or panoramic sunroof but cruise control is a big issue for me. Though I live in Delhi NCR region, I am so adept at using cruise control that Kiger will be a big no for me if its missing this.

Last edited by manson : 29th January 2021 at 09:23. Reason: Typo.
sunnsood is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 06:26   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnsood View Post
I don't mind missing sunroof or panoramic sunroof but cruise control is a big issue for me..though i live in Delhi NCR region, i am so adept at using cruise control that Kiger will be a big no for me if its missing this.
It has cruise control. start watching from 04:38.
creative420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 07:14   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, that's a good looking crossover . Good job, Renault. Are Renault & Nissan going to do to cheap crossovers what Hyundai & Kia did to the 15 lakh crossover segment?

This will surely outsell the Magnite. Renault has a better reputation and also a superior sales + marketing infrastructure. Even the Triber has been doing 5,000 units / month. The Triber + Kwid + Kiger could make Renault a 15000+ cars / month player. Wow, who would've thought.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 07:33   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Guys, enough with the discussion on it looking similar to the Kwid. Let's move on from that. Any further posts on the same will be deleted. Let's discuss other aspects of this car now.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 08:48   #117
Senior - BHPian

I think Renault-Nissan have hit the bull's eye with the Magnite & Kiger.

Wonder what's the strategy behind the 1.0 N/A engine? Neither is it going to be efficient nor is it powerful. Renault(& Nissan) would have probably been better served with the decent 1.2 N/A engine (used previously in the Micra) for entry level variants.

If Renault+Nissan is still serious about the Indian market, where is the new gen Duster and a few sedans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
No AMT with 1L turbo engine?
Like most manufacturers, AMTs are being restricted to the lower variants/segments as they aren't the smoothest transmissions around.

I'd pick a decent to good CVT over the best AMT any day.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 08:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
It has cruise control.
Well the reviewer is assuming and saying it has cruise control, as I don’t see any physical buttons on the steering control.

For me the bigger concern is lack of safety features like traction control, Hill hold assist and electronic stability program.

Looks like Renault is skipping these features as its not advertising on safety, just space and style. I have not seen the CVT variant yet in any review, I am hoping at least that variant has it

Last edited by manson : 29th January 2021 at 09:21. Reason: Typo.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 08:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
How they have pulled off 405 lit boot space in a sub 4m car!!
The Kwid had 300 litre bootspace to begin with, so this just carries that forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Bharadwaj View Post
To start with, the Kwid looked like a compressed SUV. So when you expand a compressed SUV, the compression and expansion cancels out and you are left with a complete SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Why Renault why ?
Why not? The design is the best thing about the Kwid, this is just taking the design and applying it to a more potent car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Think about this the other way around. That is, Kiger was released first and Kwid getting released now. People would not be complaining then. Think about Brezza getting a facelift like an Alto now.
The only problem with this argument is that the Alto in its present avatar is hideous, the Brezza looks far better. Why borrow a negative?

When I first drove the Kwid, I wished it was bigger, more solid and less plasticky. This is all that coupled with a powerful engine and auto combo with seemingly decent feature choices.

I would pick this over the Magnite anyday, over to Tata for the HBX.

Last edited by manson : 29th January 2021 at 09:20. Reason: Typo.
400notout is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 08:56   #120
BHPian

Glad to see a CVT variant. Options in this segment are definitely going up.

Last edited by manson : 29th January 2021 at 09:18. Reason: Typo.

Most Viewed