Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 09:58   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

I was looking for VFM cars in India currently.

I am very surprised how the Kiger is not getting any attention in India. Its a really good car! I would buy this over a Swift / i10 anyday. Its a no brainer!!
2000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 10:34   #422
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Mod Note: All the "mud in tail-lights" posts moved to a new thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...il-lights.html (Design defect! Mud & dirt getting deposited behind Renault Kiger tail-lights)
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 22:21   #423
BHPian

When Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger are based on the same base then how does Kiger get such a huge boot space compared to the Magnite?

Are the seats thinner on the Kiger or is there a difference in rear seat space?
Old 18th October 2021, 12:54   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaiD View Post
When Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger are based on the same base then how does Kiger get such a huge boot space compared to the Magnite?

Are the seats thinner on the Kiger or is there a difference in rear seat space?
The difference in boot space is simply the way Renault measures. The actual boot space is identical. This is highlighted in a couple of Vlogs on YouTube.

I have a few queries about the Kiger service and ride quality.

What kind of cost does one incur for the Turbo CVT service?

Is the ride quality of the Kiger really good over bad road surface?
Old 18th October 2021, 16:35   #425
BHPian

Just saw a Renault Kiger close up in the parking lot. Must say it looks very good with the Red and Black dual tone paint.
There are enough differentiators in the front to distinguish it from the Kwid. The spoiler at the back looks cool too. Now that Tata has priced Punch at a premium, the Kiger Magnite twins at ~10.2 Lakh onroad for the top-end turbo manual are totally worth the 50k stretch over Punch Creative MT or even the 1L over the Swift VXI for a much better rounded product.
I am sure this has been discussed here still, I am a bit confused about the feature spread b/w the twins as Magnite gets ESP, TCS but gets 2 airbags, whereas Kiger misses out on ESP, TCS and gets 4 airbags. Kiger misses out on Cruise control too??
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 20:45   #426
BHPian

Is there any update on the India crash ratings of the Kiger/Magnite twins?
Old 24th October 2021, 03:51   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantobigboot View Post
Just saw a Renault Kiger close up in the parking lot. Must say it looks very good with the Red and Black dual tone paint.
There are enough differentiators in the front to distinguish it from the Kwid. The spoiler at the back looks cool too. Now that Tata has priced Punch at a premium, the Kiger Magnite twins at ~10.2 Lakh onroad for the top-end turbo manual are totally worth the 50k stretch over Punch Creative MT or even the 1L over the Swift VXI for a much better rounded product.
I am sure this has been discussed here still, I am a bit confused about the feature spread b/w the twins as Magnite gets ESP, TCS but gets 2 airbags, whereas Kiger misses out on ESP, TCS and gets 4 airbags. Kiger misses out on Cruise control too??
Yep, it looks really eye-catching and the red paint is a good way to tell you have the top variant, because it's only available in that(not considering dual tone variant as a separate one.)

Magnite gets ESP, TCS, cruise control and 2 airbags in all variants.
Kiger gets none of those above mentioned systems - but it does get 4 airbags in top variants.

I own the Kiger RXZ turbo CVT and the car has been nothing but fantastic.
youngknight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 14:04   #428
BHPian

I am taking delivery of the Kiger this week, pretty excited about it.

I went down a few rabbit holes in my search for a car including the booking the new Taigun, Kushaq and Seltos top-end, only to cancel them all for a car priced at 10L lower than them!

My reasoning is that all those cars have issues that are unacceptable for the price you pay for them. The VAG twins drive well, but the interiors are quite poor for a 22L car, and the EPC issues don't seem fully resolved yet. The Korean twins have premium interiors, but have build quality issues. They are also relatively bulky as I am looking for a good compact car. So XUV, harrier etc. also ruled out. Astor looked interesting but that little dude on the dashboard and the Chinese origin discounted it. For compact cars Venue/Sonet have unacceptable legroom, TATA/Mahindra have poor automatic transmission. Kicks/Duster have outdated interiors for the price.

So that left me with the Kiger/Magnite duo, I found they were incredible value for money and ticked most of my boxes while saving me a bunch of cash. I chose the Kiger for it's better put together interiors and more airbags. Would have loved ESC, hill hold, and traction control, but I think I can live without them. I got front parking sensors so 360 camera is also not necessary. Renault also has a better network than Nissan.

One point that I strongly feel is that there is no reason manufacturers shouldn't add better features on a smaller car at a higher price point. The I would have been thrilled to pay 2 lakhs on top for those missing safety features and some added creature comforts like leather upholstery. I just can't understand why they get stuck on price segments.

That being said, I think there is an opportunity to improve the interiors in the after market. Any other Kiger owners out there who have done some customization?
hashwin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:19   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwin View Post
I am taking delivery of the Kiger this week, pretty excited about it.

I went down a few rabbit holes in my search for a car including the booking the new Taigun, Kushaq and Seltos top-end, only to cancel them all for a car priced at 10L lower than them!

My reasoning is that all those cars have issues that are unacceptable for the price you pay for them. The VAG twins drive well, but the interiors are quite poor for a 22L car, and the EPC issues don't seem fully resolved yet. The Korean twins have premium interiors, but have build quality issues. They are also relatively bulky as I am looking for a good compact car. So XUV, harrier etc. also ruled out. Astor looked interesting but that little dude on the dashboard and the Chinese origin discounted it. For compact cars Venue/Sonet have unacceptable legroom, TATA/Mahindra have poor automatic transmission. Kicks/Duster have outdated interiors for the price.

So that left me with the Kiger/Magnite duo, I found they were incredible value for money and ticked most of my boxes while saving me a bunch of cash. I chose the Kiger for it's better put together interiors and more airbags. Would have loved ESC, hill hold, and traction control, but I think I can live without them. I got front parking sensors so 360 camera is also not necessary. Renault also has a better network than Nissan.

One point that I strongly feel is that there is no reason manufacturers shouldn't add better features on a smaller car at a higher price point. The I would have been thrilled to pay 2 lakhs on top for those missing safety features and some added creature comforts like leather upholstery. I just can't understand why they get stuck on price segments.

That being said, I think there is an opportunity to improve the interiors in the after market. Any other Kiger owners out there who have done some customization?
Please check one of the previous posts in this thread about an owner facing battery drain issue after installing front parking sensors. I chose to not install them after reading his experience.

Accessories from the company - I chose almost 50k worth of stuff, I believe nothing can beat the factory fitted finish of the things I chose, but still, everything is cheaper in the market.

About aftermarket customisation, I have put seat covers+steering cover, floor matting, 70% transparent window tint on sides&back, changed the abysmal horn, added some anti-rain circular film on the ORVMs
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20211014_131751.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20211010_133233.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20211010_142417.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-20211014_194148.jpg  

youngknight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 20:28   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes - actually it is a fantastic VFM package. I do feel Renault has not got their marketing act together on this else it should have been bringing in greater numbers.
The turbo CVT top end of yours punches above its weight. Roomy, decent interiors, handling and suspension.
If my budget had been higher I would have opted for the CVT.
Old 26th October 2021, 14:45   #431
BHPian

I dropped off my Kiger RXZ CVT for first service today. I had opted for the front parking sensor (replacing pillows and car cover from the dealer’s accessory kit) but it was out of stock then, so I asked for it to be fitted today.

The Bangalore Hosur road service centre had no awareness of this pending item, and asked me to coordinate with the JP Nagar showroom to have the part sent over. The accessories person at JP Nagar in turn was surprised by the request and said I should have given a day’s notice, but he’ll scramble to source the part and have it sent over.

This is -1 for CRM integration. Renault even has a customer facing phone app. I don’t see the point if their own dealer network doesn’t feed information into a CRM.

For what it’s worth, I handed it in at a little over 2000 km and a week short of the 2 month period, with the following complaints:

1. Trip meter is running faster than odometer (photos shared in this thread earlier). Software upgrade and calibration may be needed.

2. Car shudders between 70 and 80 kmph as if the engine is stalling. Problem goes away above and below that speed range, regardless of drive modes.

3. Mud seepage problem. Renault has acknowledged this and released a fix. Part numbers 638403884R-SHIELD-WH, FR R and 63841579R-SHIELD-WH, FR L (both zero cost, goodwill, HSN 87089900), with job code LHYCARE01-Hygiene Care (₹199 + tax = ₹234.82, HSN 998729) — from an earlier post in this thread.

4. The brakes groan in stop-and-go traffic. I assumed this would go away as the brakes settled, but the groaning has not reduced and is quite loud.

5. The drive mode dial sometimes does not register a switch to Eco mode. I’ve had to turn it a second time on multiple occasions. Seems to be a loose contact in the dial.

6. There’s a small tear in the gasket of the hand brake.

Overall this is a minor complaint list. This car is phenomenal. Since I don’t have a regular commute, I went on a road trip to clock the 2000 km, driving Bangalore -> Yercaud -> Kodaikanal -> Coimbatore -> Coonoor -> Ooty -> Mysore -> Bangalore (total about 1500 km in 10 days). I’ve done road trips before, but they were never as relaxed as in this car. The CVT takes the stress out of driving in traffic, and even in Eco mode the car has enough oomph to never feel strained. I stayed in Eco most of the 2000 km since I don’t know the run-in period for modern cars.

The service advisor said they don’t have the mud seepage fix parts in stock, but will try to source it today, or make a future appointment for it. Another -1 for preparedness. He tried upselling me on 3D mats, bottom coating “with 5 year warranty” and an engine guard, all of which I’ve refused because I’ve become allergic to upselling. Don’t know which of these are actually worth it.

Last edited by jackerhack : 26th October 2021 at 14:50.
jackerhack is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:54   #432
Senior - BHPian

Did my first longish trip yesterday approx 176 kms in total.
The car behaved pretty well on the narrow twisties that we call highways here. Suspension/handling/braking would score pretty high in my book.
A/C was decent.
My better half felt there was much more leg room at the rear than my previous ride.
And... the AMT was not too bad either - much nicer behaved than in town surprisingly.
I got a mileage reading of 16 in the first leg (early morning with comparatively less traffic) and an overall reading of 14.6 for the trip (with greater traffic in the afternoon).
Tank to tank (including about 38 kms in city traffic) was around 12.5.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 22:38   #433
BHPian

Got my new Kiger CVT Turbo last week.
Took it on a trip to Sakleshpur (around 500 km both ways) for which it fared quite well. Since I am running it in, I had to keep below 80kmph, which was a bit of a bummer since there were long stretches of highway with little traffic, but it was a nice, safe, relaxed drive.

Here's a list of pros and cons I found from my drive.

Pros:

1. The engine is really peppy for a 1 Liter, and I found very comparable or better acceleration than the other cars I test drove including Venue, Kushaq, and Seltos. I had to keep the revs down while running it in, but it's definitely a lot of fun to drive. Stayed in Normal mode for pretty much the whole the trip, will save the sport mode for later.

2. The CVT is super smooth, didn't feel gear shifts at all. Really love this compared my old Xcent.

3. The mileage is fantastic on the highway. I was getting 18-19 with AC and 21-22 without AC. For city it is around 12-13. I am hoping the city numbers improve after the 3000km mark. With petrol prices touching 113 this is really important.

4. Wireless Android Auto worked well and the sound system is pretty good. This is a no-frills system which does exactly what it's supposed to.

5. The small footprint and turning radius of the car worked really well in the city portion of the trip. Despite this, there is also a ton of space inside the car - this is what separates it from the Sonets and Venues.

Cons:

1. Compared to my Xcent, the rear windshield is small and the A-pillar causes a bit of a blind spot that takes some getting used to.

2. The steering wheel does not feel that nice to touch, I am planning to fix this with a leather wrap in addition to leather seats, and leather wrap on some touch points.

3. The suspension is a bit weird in that you can feel imperfections in the road via car vibrations (there were many bad patches on the way) but it doesn't really cause you to bounce. Not sure if this is normal, it's quite different from any other car I've ridden in.

4. Eco mode is not at all fun to drive, so I will be avoiding it

In addition, I also got the mud issue, which the dealer has committed to fix.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the car as it offers pretty much all I need at a low price point. Will do a followup post here when I am able to drive it normally after the run in.
hashwin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:29   #434

I took my Kiger RXT AMT from Navi Mumbai to Nashik as a test run for my next (and first) big ride to Goa. The car performed really well on bad patches, the bumps in the cabin were minimal especially on the huge crater sized potholes in the forest roads of Karnataka.

I being a new driver felt the overall driving experience pretty smooth. While driving on Amod Ghat and Chorla Ghat whilst back from Goa, I was able to control the car pretty well, worked as a charm. The brakes responded pretty well to oncoming traffic on the Ghat.

Made the Navi Mumbai to Goa trip in 12hrs Dot, with a 45 min break and a detour through the above mentioned forest. The car gave a decent average of about 18kmpl. Unfortunately i forgot to set the trip meter on my return trip so unsure.
Old 9th November 2021, 17:21   #435

Quote:
leather wrap in addition to leather seats, and leather wrap on some touch points.
The air bags are in the seat, didn't ur dealer advice against seat cover, mine did?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks