Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 20:29   #436
BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradeepVKiger View Post
The air bags are in the seat, didn't ur dealer advice against seat cover, mine did?
When I first enquired a few months ago, they did advise against it. But when I came back to them last month they said they had a new way to do it where you could install it with the right fitting for the airbags. It's a little more expensive than the regular seat covers for the duster etc, and different designs.

I also found a very highly rated local aftermarket dealer (Trend car covers in Bangalore) who has done Kiger seat covers with airbags before and offers premium quality leather - which is who I plan to go with.
Old 12th November 2021, 15:50   #437
BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19

Just wanted to share my experience with Trend Car Seat Covers in HSR in Bangalore. They fitted leather seats for my RXZ with airbags in the seats. Supposedly there is a warning that is shown when the airbags are not able to deploy, there is no warning after the fitting in my car.

I opted for genuine leather for the seats, dual tone with diamond stitching, and Nappa leather for the steering wheel. The feel and quality is absolutely phenomenal and is comparable to luxury cars. The ride feels much smoother thanks to the cushioning added by the team, most imperfections in the road are almost completely blocked out. They took around 7 hours to complete it but it was absolutely worth the wait. The light colour also makes the car feel much more airy, this has really taken this car to the next level. All inclusive this was around 42k, to me worth every paisa.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-img_20211112_090349.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-img_20211112_111459.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-img_20211112_111605.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-img_20211112_111621.jpg  

Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-img_20211112_130757.jpg  

hashwin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:22   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerhack View Post
I dropped off my Kiger RXZ CVT for first service today. I had opted for the front parking sensor (replacing pillows and car cover from the dealer’s accessory kit) but it was out of stock then, so I asked for it to be fitted today.

The Bangalore Hosur road service centre had no awareness of this pending item, and asked me to coordinate with the JP Nagar showroom to have the part sent over. The accessories person at JP Nagar in turn was surprised by the request and said I should have given a day’s notice, but he’ll scramble to source the part and have it sent over.
The service centre held my car for three days while they diagnosed the reported issues and coordinated part transfer. This was a bit disappointing, but the car has come out better. The trip meter stays in sync with the odometer now, and the vibration problem between 70 and 80 kmph has reduced.

The parking sensor was a mistake however. It is sensitive to over a metre, making it useless for parking in tight spaces. It comes with three loudness settings: Off, Ear Shattering, and Guaranteed Auditory Damage. It went off when picking up the car. I thought I had triggered a theft alarm and jumped out in panic.

The next day I took off on another road trip of about 1500 km (Bangalore -> Goa -> Jog Falls -> Mangalore -> Sakleshpur -> Bangalore) and once again the car was a pleasure to ride. This has easily been a regret-free purchase.

The car's mileage estimate exceeds actuals (this is a Kiger Turbo CVT), boasting 15-18 km/L while delivering 11-13. My fuel logs:
  1. Delivery at 20 km, first fill at 27 km
  2. 323 km, 9.51 km/L
  3. 597 km, 12.32 km/L
  4. 930 km, 10.46 km/L
  5. 1205 km, 13.51 km/L
  6. 1485 km, 9.63 km/L
  7. 2080 km, 11.72 km/L
  8. 2582 km, 13.13 km/L
  9. 2823 km, 11.62 km/L
  10. 3239 km, 15.05 km/L
  11. 3635 km, 11.23 km/L

Some of the large jumps include a partial fill, from when I was near a state border with lower rates on the other side. The surprise spike of 15 km/L was when I filled in Goa just before the border, drove to Jog Falls and then Mangalore, and filled again. This is about 100 km of ghat road, so either the highway segments were that smooth, or the fuel quality was better.
jackerhack is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:19   #439
BHPian

Test drove a Kiger AMT this past weekend and I felt the car was sufficiently spacious for 4 people - good amount of head room and leg room in the back seat. The head nod from AMT was felt in 1st and 2nd gear shifts. Lots of storage space inside. Build quality is good for the price. The door lock knob on the windows was a surprise and didn’t match with the overall modern feel of the car.

I was told the car will take 3 months for delivery. The reason cited was the global chip shortage.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2021 at 05:07. Reason: Typo
pandey.jai is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 10:25   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Test drove a Kiger AMT this past weekend and I felt the car was sufficiently spacious for 4 people - good amount of had room and leg room in the back seat. The head nod from AMT was felt in 1st and 2nd gear shifts. Lots of storage space inside. Build quality is good for the price. The door lock knob on the windows was a surprise and didn’t match with the overall modern feel of the car.

I was told the car will take 3 months for delivery. The reason cited was the global chip shortage.
Good choice indeed (I am a bit biased since I drive it myself)! It is spacious enough and has all the creature comforts required at its price point. I'm surprised though, at the 3 month wait.
However, if you are not a sedate driver with a light right foot ever learning to live with the AMT quirks, I would recommend the CVT - might be worth the higher initial investment.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:42   #441
BHPian

Has anyone bought Kiger RXT AMT recently. Can you please share your ownership experience for the car.
Old 1st December 2021, 17:02   #442
BHPian

Hi All,

We have shortlisted the Kiger for my mum. Test drove the Punch but she felt the Kiger was better of the two. Most importantly, in a humid climate, the rear AC vents sold her the Kiger.

Car will be mostly travelling within the city, a few times a month on highways for around 100 - 150 kms but that's the extent this will go.

A few questions

1. Is the AMT alright to drive vs. the CVT? The CVT top end crosses the 10L mark which is our waterline. Brother drove the AMT but this is his first automatic car and so he couldn't give a proper comparison. Not sure if the CVT is available for test drive.

2. Any issues with Renault's AMT? I have heard some stories (sporadic though) of Maruti's AMT but not any of Renault's so far.

3. Between the top end RXZ AMT and the mid-spec RXT CVT, automatic climate control is missing. What are other really useful features that can't be added on later? (e.g. I can live without a high end music player). Which one to choose?

4. Dealer isn't budging on the cost - not even a rupee discount. Any idea on current discounts being offered in Bangalore? If so, I can press the local dealer to match this.
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:35   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goacom View Post
Is there any update on the India crash ratings of the Kiger/Magnite twins?
Not much after Autocar's scoop back in June, but here's something interesting.

The Kiger exported from India was launched in South Africa a few months ago, and Global NCAP uses identical assessment protocol for India and South Africa. Here's what the press releases during the South Africa launch said:
Quote:
The body structure of the Renault Kiger is reinforced to meet 3-star GLOBAL NCAP conditions – with safety features including ABS + EBD, 4 Airbags, ISOFIX, and rear parking sensors.
Source

This is inconsistent with Autocar India's rumour. However, it would be best to wait before trying to conclude anything from these. Possibly, Renault is playing it safe with the South Africa news.

Interesting to note that the South African car has optional ESC.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 16:38   #444
BHPian

Have an RXT CVT version for last three months while AMT exposure remains limited to the test drive. First thing, they are two different animals. Not merely because of the variance in transmission technologies but also due to the respective engines they have been offered with. With due respect, no two ways about the fact that CVT scores over AMT by wide margin.

RXT version surely misses on certain features. RXZ has cabin air purification, wireless phone connectivity, automatic climate control, alloys, etc - all good to have in my view. The features which I really miss are Sports driving mode and multi-mode display. All the preferences, at the end of the day, are personal.
Old 7th December 2021, 13:08   #445
BHPian

Thank you. I have booked the RXZ CVT. Will update once the car gets delivered.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 15:05   #446

Booked an RXZ CVT here also for my mother. DT variant costs 12.36L on road in Calicut, Kerala. Which includes their insurance (which I won't be availing), AMC, Ext warranty up to 5 years and some basic accessories kit (Need to check out what all things are there and will decide whether to go for it or not)

Out of pure luck, one car (According to my POC, it was allotted to Kasargod, KL dealership) became available all of a sudden and we grabbed it.
We will be taking delivery in 2 weeks, will update after. AMA

(Attaching the quotes I received from KL and BLR)
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kiger Crossover launched at Rs. 5.45 lakh. EDIT: Driving report on page 19-kiger_clt_quote.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kiger_BLR_Quote.pdf (680.9 KB, 136 views)
purplesectortwo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:14   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdexter View Post
Has anyone bought Kiger RXT AMT recently. Can you please share your ownership experience for the car.
I have had the car Kiger RXT AMT Grey since June 21, my experience has been really good so far, as far as ride quality is concerned.

Since delivery i have taken it around Mumbai, through heavy traffic and some really crowded streets, being an AMT and all it doesn't put you through pain of stepping on the clutch. As for long drives I have taken it as far as Goa and back and only recently to Harihareshwar beach in konkan. The car handled those huge potholes on the above mentioned routes pretty well, felt very little cabin movement. The brake responded really well on the steep slopes to oncoming traffic and the steering also is really smooth.

Some of the downsides -

1) the AC - if i have the car full i have to really drop the temperature all the way and still would only have that slight cooling.
2) Not sure if this is an issue with all cars but water seems to seep in, i don't mean into the car to soak the people in it; but after a drive in the rain you'll notice mud splashes near the lower part of the door.

**may i point out this is my first car and literally learnt to drive in this car itself, so you may take an experts opinions as well
PradeepVKiger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 23:27   #448
BHPian

Quote:
) Not sure if this is an issue with all cars but water seems to seep in, i don't mean into the car to soak the people in it; but after a drive in the rain you'll notice mud splashes near the lower part of the door.
I think this is a known issue with Kiger. you would have seen mud splashes around the bumper joints as well. Renault has someout with some padding/cladding for the bumper mud splash problem. There is a separate thread on team-bhp on that.

Don't think there is a solution for the mud splashes for the doors though
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 23:50   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashwin View Post
Just wanted to share my experience with Trend Car Seat Covers in HSR in Bangalore. They fitted leather seats for my RXZ with airbags in the seats. Supposedly there is a warning that is shown when the airbags are not able to deploy, there is no warning after the fitting in my car.
IMO, one should not add seat covers for the seats that have airbags. There is a high chance of them not getting deployed in case of accidents. Even with seat covers that are specially made with airbags in mind, one shouldn't install them.
I don't think any warnings will be shown about deployment of airbags in the instrument cluster.
Old 8th December 2021, 08:07   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhupesh_2628 View Post
IMO, one should not add seat covers for the seats that have airbags. There is a high chance of them not getting deployed in case of accidents. Even with seat covers that are specially made with airbags in mind, one shouldn't install them.
I don't think any warnings will be shown about deployment of airbags in the instrument cluster.
For what it's worth the dealer had also offered to install leather seats.

re: the warning on the instrument cluster, here is the section in the manual that shows it.

Most Viewed