Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Ford Figo / Aspire today?
Yes 226 74.10%
No 79 25.90%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 14:22   #31

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Figo / Aspire

I vote YES. I am looking to upgrade my 2012 Honda Brio and Aspire seems to be a good choice especially if I get one in the Diesel Avatar. Won't mind the 1.5 petrol with Automatic as well if I can find good examples of it in Bangalore.
ndnesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:28   #32
BHPian

Voted YES.

And have already put my money where my mouth is — picked up a used Freestyle petrol in August.

My reasons for buying:
  • The car is a hoot to drive. Yes, even the petrol.
  • Titanium plus is (was) loaded — superb Sync 3 infotainment; 6 airbags, Traction control, and lots more safety kit; great aircon
  • Comfy front seats. Can cruise for hours.
  • Good deal when buying used.
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

I voted a yes here. I will definitely pickup a used Figo or a Freestyle as the secondary hatch. Very nice cars and good engines as well. I liked the fun to drive factor in the Figo/Freestyle - a personal pocket rocket for cheap!
Old 1st December 2020, 15:12   #34
BHPian

I voted Yes. The 1.5 Tdci is so fun to drive that I was blown away with its performance in the Test Drive. If really wish to own a vehicle with this TDCi engine some day. I came close with the Ford Ecosport but then got a great deal with Nissan Kicks and went for that.
Old 1st December 2020, 15:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Attaching a few pictures. Should someone want to watch my laps from the events, I'd share the link.
Please share the link

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2020 at 15:40. Reason: editing quote tags
jecenth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:28   #36
BHPian

An emphatic YES. I have a 2016 Figo TDCI and by far the best car in its segment. Like any car the car has its own pros and cons. The pros simply out weighs the cons by a fair margin.

I did a decent research on the A.S.S before signing for the car. And I must say it is far far better than Maruti or Hyundais.

The car is pretty reliable and in my 50K+ kms never faced any issues. Parts are cheap and never had availability issues.

The diesel motor is a GEM. It can't get better than this. Zero turbolag and smooth. Gear shift is not butter smooth but ok. And it returns north of 20 kmpl in the highway.
No rattles / squeaks.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 17:46   #37
BHPian

I am a great fan of used cars if the offer is great. But I lack 2 basic skills for buying pre worshipped car - assessing the condition of the car and negotiating. However, the brand new cars have become prohibitively expensive and there are some excellent cars which can be purchased only in pre owned market like the Jetta Or the SCross 1.6.

Can persons like me who can't assess the cars themselves depend blindly on the certified preowned cars?

Regarding the cars in question, I have great respect for the diesel engine but that's it. They look outdated and very utilitarian. But very very well priced especially in the bs6 guise, the deletion of features notwithstanding.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:47   #38
BHPian

Voted a yes! My better half owns a 2015 Ford Figo 1.5 TDCI & most often than not I end up reaching for its keys while we head anywhere within the city. I find it so much easy to drive compared to my 2014 Rapid TDI in Bangalore traffic & the engine makes it such a fun to drive car! Instant acceleration no matter which gear you are in, light clutch & steering work in its favour for city drives. Although I’m not a fan of the light steering on a highway. We haven’t had any major issues in the last 5 years with close 40k on the odo, we plan to just keep it as long as we can (another 3 years for sure). I feel it is largely underrated for what it offers compared to its competition such as the i10 or the swift. I personally felt it is great value for money when we bought it first hand & if you are getting a well maintained one for lower prices in the pre-owned market then it is an easy decision you can make. Just go for it!
suhas_raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 19:32   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cars like these have taught me that you don't need to spend a lot of money to have fun. One can have a blast, even on a budget. I vividly remember eating a wholesome lunch at Sunny's Dhaba, then tearing down the empty Lonavla ghat in a Figo. Man, that was fun ! Some people call me crazy, but I genuinely have as much fun in a sorted + chuckable hatchback like this, as I do in cars costing 10 - 30 times more. Am not a purist - I love competent small cars as much I like my AMGs, V8s & Italian machinery. Small + cheap + chuckable greatly appeals to me, if there is a lovely engine under the hood (that eliminates cars like the i20 1.2L and Triber 1.0, mind you). For me, the engine makes the car and the stupidly awesome 1.5L TDCi really defines the Figo / Aspire / Freestyle. I'm so glad this motor didn't die in BS6 & Ford continues to support it.

Voted an emphatic yes.

Another look at BHPian saurabh041086's mean ride:
Thanks for the mention GTO.

Having owned 3 pre - owned cars before Figo I always look for more car per rupee. With a discount of 1.2 lacs that held true even for new purchase. Some cars really fit in that criteria if bought pre owned. I initially tested Ecosport as next car after Punto. Wasn't really convinced to pay that much for what it offers. Just for the heck of passing a lazy Sunday afternoon I called the Figo for test drive. During and after that drive my mind could not think of any other aspect(that we generally look in a car). The engine sealed the deal.

Since my wife is also Torque savvy, it was easier to convince Figo over Ecosport

Considering low resale value of Figo/Aspire and this engine it is definitely a worthy option to consider for Enthusiasts.
Only turnoff i see is this crappy 10 year rule for diesels.

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 1st December 2020 at 19:40.
saurabh041086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:13   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I vividly remember eating a wholesome lunch at Sunny's Dhaba, then tearing down the empty Lonavla ghat in a Figo. Man, that was fun ! Some people call me crazy, but I genuinely have as much fun in a sorted + chuckable hatchback like this, as I do in cars costing 10 - 30 times more. Am not a purist - I love competent small cars as much I like my AMGs, V8s & Italian machinery. Small + cheap + chuckable greatly appeals to me, if there is a lovely engine under the hood (that eliminates cars like the i20 1.2L and Triber 1.0, mind you). For me, the engine makes the car and the stupidly awesome 1.5L TDCi really defines the Figo / Aspire / Freestyle. I'm so glad this motor didn't die in BS6 & Ford continues to support it.
Ford bought the mark V fiesta into india as the original Figo. The cardinal sin they made, is that they gave the car two asthmatic engines (not bad in terms of driveability, but in terms of sheer power) - 1.2 petrol and the 1.4 tdci.

When it was the chance to launch figo v2.0, they made an even bigger cardinal sin - they chose the Ford Ka (a much inferior vehicle to the mark V fiesta) but addressed the problem of engine power with the sweet 1.5TDCI. This Ka derivative is a poor insufficient understudy to the far far superior fiesta chassis, cannot hold a candle.

GTO, you would have actually bought the car straightaway after you finished your drive, if only ford had brought the mark VI or even the same mark V fiesta, with this 1.5 TDCI that all of us like.

The fact that there are fans of the old figo chassis and the new figo engines, suggests how capable their engineering is. The product definition simply didn't hold water. TWICE.
Opportunities blown miserably by ford, to become the hatchback king in the lucrative indian market. Something like the polo would simply not exist in india today, if the 1.5 TDCI was shoehorned into the mark V (or VI) fiesta chassis. It's a chassis that is superior to even the original punto that came in 2009. And that says a lot.
venkyhere is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 22:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Trust me, no car below 20Lakh can match her.

Find me a car which can do 0-100 in less than 8 seconds, do two ton speeds all day long, win trackdays, destroy motorsport events, be your daily drive, literally rip the streets and also be capable enough to take 3 people all the way to Rohtang. I dare you.
But, NGT would have none of it!

Are you planning to move out of NCR to keep this with you beyond the 10yr mark?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 22:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post

Just for the heck of passing a lazy Sunday afternoon I called the Figo for test drive. During and after that drive my mind could not think of any other aspect(that we generally look in a car). The engine sealed the deal.

Only turnoff i see is this crappy 10 year rule for diesels.
Almost same thing happened in my case.Had visited Ford in Kochi for a TD of Freestyle.The engine and dynamics sealed the deal.

Also the thought that, this might be the last generation of diesel cars we might be able to enjoy in India, made me go for the purchase more with heart than head.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Figo / Aspire-mvimg_20201104_065115.jpg  

maheshm619 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 04:53   #43
BHPian

You can blindly buy this car. I am still driving 2013 Diesel model with only 60k kms done. Great car. Unlike Fusion ( Petrol) which I sold this one does not have any maintenance problems at all. Ford service is excellent and costs are minimal compared to others. VFM, Fun driving, roomy safe and totally maintenance free. I intend to own for full 15 years. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:25   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
But, NGT would have none of it!

Are you planning to move out of NCR to keep this with you beyond the 10yr mark?
Sadly, I cannot move out of NCR.

When that time inevitably comes, I have plans. To convert her into a full blown rally car. Upgraded suspension, roll cage, weight loss by removing seats and rear doors and replacing them with fibre, a sequential shifter and a Stage 2+ map configured mainly for the track.

Too bad can't do it now as she is my daily drive.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:03   #45
BANNED

My 2016 Figo 1.5D Base had crossed One lakh KM mark recently and still continues to run like it did it on day one. I changed the clutch and a few suspension bits at the 1L km mark only. The timing belt is still going strong and was left unchanged even after I insisted on getting it changed. The FE is consistently high and I nonchalantly see 25kmpl often on the display. I had a rat bite issue at the 80k km mark and had some harmless black smoke issues after that which I hope to get eradicated in the following weeks with a software fix. It's service centers are just as worse as any other brand's service including those being rated at mythic proportions.

I always ask people to find the best FNG in the locality and stick with it for regular maintenance just like I do.

I have a crazy plan to go for an engine swap in the future rather than buying a new car which is becoming a more unduely expensive proposition with each passing day.

I am not a brand specific guy, but if someone is looking for a car I always ask them to test drive a Ford Freestyle before the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Ford Figo / Aspire-img_20201127_213625_5.jpg  

COMMUTER is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks