Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it worth buying a premium luxury car in India?
Yes 182 35.48%
No 331 64.52%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 11:32   #16
BHPian

Re: Is it worth buying a premium luxury car in India?

Premium cars are definitely overpriced in India and even Merc or BMW aren't really looking to play the volume game anytime soon so maintenance will always be a pinch. So it definitely doesn't make as much sense to stretch to buy a luxury car for say ~50 lakhs when you would be equally or more comfortable in a non luxury car and save good money.

However once you go beyond here I think it makes sense. Both for the significantly higher levels of comfort that you get and, although many might not agree, it doesn't really make sense for some one who makes a few crores an year to drive around in a Creta.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 11:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

I voted yes, having a driven only my friend's E280 long time ago, when it was new,I know what kind of an experience it offers. The luxury Germans, especially the 6 cylinder ones are definitely a league apart. Mainstream brands have come a long way, but the difference will always be like comparing a high price, off the rack shirt with a tailor made one. The tailor made one feels special even though it might not last that long. I wouldn't go get milk in my 530d(if I had one), so the use case is also limited, transportation is not the primary goal.

The cars are really useful in professions where people judge you by what you drive. One of our forum members mentioned that he got the less practical A3 over an Octavia because it helps getting noticed and attracting clients, I think he is a lawyer.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted no because at this stage in life my head rules over my heart That said, yeah, the heart still wants that 330i.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 13:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post

However once you go beyond here I think it makes sense. Both for the significantly higher levels of comfort that you get and, although many might not agree, it doesn't really make sense for some one who makes a few crores an year to drive around in a Creta.
Why not? Warren Buffet, one of the richest men in the world drives around in a 10 year old Cadillac. As for the higher levels of comfort, a car like Duster or Hexa, which has a great suspension, would be far more comfortable on our wretched roads than cars costing even 3-4 times them.
Personally, I will always buy a car which has better comfort over ones which don't, no matter which price bracket they belong to, no matter how much I am earning.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:08   #20
BHPian

A 2-5 year Used car with less than 70k kms and full service history - YES!
Else No.

The biggest issue with these cars is the depreciation hit in the first couple of years. It’s like the old Nirma ad - Jab wahi Damo wali quality, wahi safedi (driving experience) wahi jhaag (luxury) kam daamo me Mike to koi yeh kyu le woh na le!

The only and honestly the biggest con is once you experience it, tough to go back to other cars.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 14:28   #21
BHPian

Not worth it but i doubt anyone buys these for worthiness. I'd buy one too if i have the cash.
Old 27th November 2020, 15:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I had a vacant apartment and every other day I seemed to be paying something for it. Maintenance, electricity bill, property tax, some special sinking fund and so on. I felt like someone brainwashed me into doing something really dumb. I sent it to Germany and they returned it with wheels and engine. I feel really smart now.
The only difference would you that you can dream of taking it around places and it's value would keep plummeting fast until you decide to safe keep it for the next gen or two!

Some decisions are taken from the heart...with or without regrets

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th November 2020 at 15:08.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 15:09   #23
BHPian

Absolutely yes if one can. Coz the experience of driving and the small bits of luxury which make the experience worthwhile.Right from delivery till today its the experience.

You pay for experience and continue to benchmark for whether that premium is worth it or not.

I love road trips and happen to do 2 in last 2 months in different cars. One of the place luxury low slung sedan could not be taken or I would say it was possible but It would have increased driving time by 20% atleast.

IT is worth it if we take extra care of them.

Experience is what we pay, it's different for different ppl.

The day won't be far when a luxury sedan without 2nd thought can be taken to Leh
Puneet0051 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 00:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

A few years ago, I would have said yes but today I MAY differ.
Over the years the gap between luxury cars and mass market cars has reduced considerably in terms of space, features, etc. and many mass market cars are more reliable, equally well built, and safe.

Our most recent purchase : the Tiguan : which is arguably not in the same premium luxury car league such as a BMW X1 : the Tiguan was more spacious, better value, with more features, etc.

Before that we replaced our 525d with an Altis : similar space inside, and for primarily city running with a chauffeur, the corolla was more compact, could handle the abuse better, and could handle the road conditions better (not scraped the underbody even once!). In fact with the flat floor at the back, it's the preferred vehicle when we are 5 on board; and its probably the only car dad and mom will both be happy in the back seat (where say a 3/C would be too low for dad and the tiguan too high for mom).

Lastly most of the 'mass market' cars don't require a beater giving them company. I've taken our Skoda Laura everywhere without any care in the world. In case of the pre-owned F30 3 series that replaced it, long drives will include a fair amount of time going into route planning, keeping an eagle eye on road conditions and going what I can only imagine as annoyingly slow for other road users over bad roads.

That being said, there are an equal number of people who would always pick the premium luxury options. The brand, classier interiors, better sales experience, etc. wows many over.
For many, its part of their life dream / goal; for some they expect these vehicles to age better due to better perceived build quality; some who want the latest in engineering marvels, etc.
With increasing buyer prosperity, this market segment is only going to grow & I expect a slow shift towards premium luxury SUVs which are better suited for our present road conditions.

So is it worth buying them?
Well, if you can appreciate the differences & afford the price tag & maintenance - then definitely!
But if you plan to be driven around and want peace of mind, please look elsewhere: Camry makes more sense over an ES, A6, 5, S90, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 06:08   #25
BHPian

If we talk about what makes "sense", then the worst thing people do is buy useless stuff like gold/diamond ornaments and consider it savings, nothing can be worse in terms of financial planning. Regarding automobiles, a car is depreciation period. There can't be any money to be made on a car unless it's a rare collectable which has been preserved painstakingly. If you buy a 3 lakh alto or a 3 crore Bentley, it will make you lose money.
A car is more emotion and less from the head. Considering that, there is no right/wrong answer regarding buying a luxury vehicle. IMO if the purchase doesn't pinch you, please go ahead and buy a luxury brand.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 08:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a highly personal decision taken from each buyers own unique perspective and that too will change over the years as his income and financial responsibilities ebb and flow. Fact is in India the premium luxury cars become even more premium {and hopefully exclusive too} due to high taxes.

So what applies to Sharma won't apply to Srinivasan. And there are, or should not be, moral hooks here.

Where the garage's number 1 car and where I live go is concerned, for me personally, I follow a policy of buying at the top of my affordability so that I should always feel proud of my address and my car. This is just me. It may not work for others. Affordability means what I can buy with my savings - no loans.

There is a feel good factor driving a premium luxury car just like there is a feel good factor inviting an associate to a top dog club. You buy a premium luxury car for exclusivity, perceived status, your own need for 'feel good' , the comfort/safety features. For me Reliability and A.S.S. {quality, promptness and attitude} counts too very high on the list. At least in India some OEMs of premium cars really work hard to mess up reliability and ASS.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 28th November 2020 at 08:45.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 08:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

If you really want to make financial sense, buy a cheap used car. But we can't always be logical right?
The answer to your question is - Yes, if you can manage money to buy, run, and maintain. Hint: Most people get premium cars as a business expense to get depreciation write-offs. I'm sure you can manage all other small things.

Just don't be this guy.
Is it worth buying a premium luxury car in India?-trailerparkbugatti.jpg

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th November 2020 at 08:54.
landcruiser123 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
My question is quite simple and straightforward, "Is it worth buying a premium car (BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo etc) in our country?"
Yes or No (accompanied with explanations, please)
I have voted for YES. However, this is more of a relative question. If you break the bank and stretch out taking a huge loan, then it's a big NO. Although passion has no boundaries, and the passionate can buy whatever he thinks is suitable.

There are the rich and the corporate, who buy expensive cars to wade off tax. So buying a luxury car suits them. Whereas for some it's a status symbol, and lifestyle based.

Very important point as mentioned by members earlier, is safety and secondly driving pleasure. Some of the high end cars have wonderful safety features, which can save your and your families life. 99.9% you may never need these features, but that 0.01% is enough to save or ruin your life.

My suggestion for passionate buyers who want to enter into the luxury segment, is to go for pre-owned cars with less mileage, as the depreciation on such cars is very high. Another important point to consider is that even the basic service may run into lakhs. So even after buying such cars, you need to consider the service costs in your expenses.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:02   #29
BANNED

It is said in common wisdom that a luxury car is the one you don't have to care about, in the same vein luxury can also be seen as the ability to afford something that actually doesn't have objective purpose. If you save upto buy it, then you might not be able to afford it. People buy luxury cars because they can, not that they saved up for it and was their childhood dream. Personally I'd rather get a sports bike for the thrills and a comfortable jap/korean for my initial definition of luxury.
Nikhildrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:21   #30
BHPian

I think, the answer is a function of one's net worth. But in some cases, one may want to avoid luxury cars, just to keep a low profile.
In my opinion, ( even if one could afford) its better to buy the premium offering from a few mass market players like Skoda/VW/Hyundai. Of course, this is not comparable to premium luxury. May be luxury only.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks