Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 00:58   #16
BHPian

Happy with official announcement from TATA management but not happy with the figures they aspire for.

Its understandable that Fiat as of now does not have any new product in its lineup (had Palio got new interiors i could have taken it as a new launch) and non enthusiast Fiat Indian customer will take some time to walk to Fiat showrooms so the figure is fine but atleast these guys should have shown more aspiration / higher ambition by quoting better expected sales figures bcoz 3000 in this fiscal ends up as 300 cars per month which does not reflect good on the JVs plans yet to the indian customer.

Wat say guys ??
Old 10th April 2007, 01:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

What, they're a boutique carmaker now?!
Old 10th April 2007, 01:29   #18
Team-BHP Support

Well Rome was not built in a day. They fell to a level where sustaining their india ops was becoming impossible. From there they are now trying to slowly build up the levels. I think this is more astute and realistic. There is no point in talking of unrealistic targets that can not be matched. Particularly when the product is not exactly a new one.

Remember they are now readying up a new factory that can churn out huge volumes. So they want to build up some mass before they launch new products with ambitious targets. I am sure if they manage to double their sales from the current levels (as they are hoping to) the coming years will see them grow in confidence. All is not lost. In fact this looks like a typical Tata way of promising less and delivering more. I am sure the targets would have been mulled and discussed threadbare between both the parties before it was made public.
Old 10th April 2007, 01:46   #19
BHPian

Well said Zappo. Good points all.

Though I would like to add that its going to take some effort in terms of FIAT's credibility being resurrected. Their reputation has almost entirely been spoilt through word of mouth from dissatisfied customers w.r.t. A.S.S., spares, poor dealer experience etc.

This same word of mouth needs to turn around somehow full circle. It will happen, but it will take a while, I guess.

The only things that can speed up that process is a phenomenal dealer and A.S.S. experience that will generate the required word of mouth propoganda. Its just a bit difficult since they are still basically selling the same product and have discontinued the Petra. But as the Palio is fundamentally a good product, I still am hoping well for FIAT. Always have.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a realistic target to achieve. But, as has been rightly pointed out, it is not just the numbers. They (Fiat and Tata now) have to undo years of bad publicity. Lets see how this develops. Tata can become a vendor straddling all segments of cars with the help of Fiat and the latter can recoup days of lost 'glory'.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:27   #21
BHPian

Also, its very important that they achieve some solid objective along those lines (improved customer experience)before they launch the Linea. At the very least, FIAT will have to successfully project the idea that they are an outfit very clearly on the turnaround, even if they haven't fully achieved that turnaround.

I do hope they manage that, because I really would not want the Linea's future to be jeopardized.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:31   #22
BHPian

I am sure FIAT has come back.
The FIAT engines in SWIFT VDi are selling like hot cakes. A sense of reputation has been establised based on engines. Thanks to the NOT SO GREAT GEARBOX of Swift, Grande Punto and the Linea would be seen as a welcome change.

I personally saw 5 people coming and booking the Adventure Sport in the COncorde showroom in Blr.
For any company, a structure is critcal. With the reworked structure, I am sure FIAT is on an upswing.

Rest is left to time, we will have to wait and watch as to how the globally successful models (Grande Punto, Bravo and Linea) are received in India.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

I saw the title and thought "Well that cant be too difficult!", and then I see that they were actually SERIOUS about it
Old 10th April 2007, 12:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I saw the title and thought "Well that cant be too difficult!", and then I see that they were actually SERIOUS about it

Finally!!!!! Someone caught on to the irony and the (un) intended black humor of this post!!!!
Old 10th April 2007, 13:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well.. it kind of confirms that Stile is a stop gap arrangement to stop the brand new factory rusting from disuse !!

Since it is a JV, I think Tata has much to loose as well. Not sure if the factory is jointly owned.. but Tata's have used Fiat's facility when there was a temp shut down of their paint shop due to fire.
Old 10th April 2007, 13:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Finally!!!!! Someone caught on to the irony and the (un) intended black humor of this post!!!!
actually, I don't think its ironical or humorous at all, in any way, intended or unintended, black or white.

All it means is that :
  1. the people now in the charge of the TATA-FIAT alliance and its operations are fully in touch with ground realities.
  2. they have realised that the FIAT brand value needs to be built ground up due to its erosion.
  3. They know the competition is hotter now as compared to the time the Palio was originally launched.
  4. so there will be no free lunches and that they will need to make an effort to sell each and every single unit of the Palio.
  5. So they have decided not to live in a fool's paradise, but instead set sensible, achievable targets that reflect the ground realities.

I think its a better strategy as compared to the last time FIAT sold hell lot of Palios and didn't worry about following up sales with good service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks