Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 16:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata to double Fiat's sales

The Hindu News Update Service

I think this can safely sum up Fiat's situation in India- when the company aims at monthly sales volumes of 250 units per month!

__________________________________________________ ______________

Tata Motors targets to double Fiat sales this year

Ludhiana, April. 7 (PTI): Tata Motors, the country's top automobile firm, expects to sell over 3,000 Fiat branded cars in India during the current fiscal.
"In the last fiscal, we sold 1,500 Fiat branded cars and this year we hope to sell more than 3,000 cars through our distribution network," Tata Motors, senior manager (passenger car unit), Mudit Gupta said.
Gupta was speaking to reporters after launching the Fiat Palio Stile here.
Tata Motors distributes Fiat cars in India and also has a joint venture with the Italian company for manufacturing passenger cars and engines for Indian and overseas markets. When asked about any adverse impact on sale of cars due to rising lending rates in view of RBI's monetary measures for containing inflation, he said the company had not observed any impact on sales volume so far.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th April 2007 at 16:42.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Warm news indeed - hope they succeed; this not being a case of doubling a car's worth by filling its tank
Old 9th April 2007, 16:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a good news...when I had last visited the TATA showroom, the Fiat sales guy there told me that he sells abt 9 cars a month and expects it to go to 25 per month now. So let us assume that all the TATA dealerships sell 25 units of fiat a month, the calculation would be 25*63 (dealerships appx.) in major metros so it is about 1575. Now if TATA has 100 dealers the amount would be 2500 units. Fiat is bound to gain.

All the best: Va Italia Va!
Old 9th April 2007, 16:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
That is indeed a good news...when I had last visited the TATA showroom, the Fiat sales guy there told me that he sells abt 9 cars a month and expects it to go to 25 per month now. So let us assume that all the TATA dealerships sell 25 units of fiat a month, the calculation would be 25*63 (dealerships appx.) in major metros so it is about 1575. Now if TATA has 100 dealers the amount would be 2500 units. Fiat is bound to gain.

All the best: Va Italia Va!
You are talking of 2500 units a month buddy, while tata motors is talking of 3000 units this fiscal! that works out to 250 units a month!
Old 9th April 2007, 16:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
You are talking of 2500 units a month buddy, while tata motors is talking of 3000 units this fiscal! that works out to 250 units a month!
I just quoted what the TATA dealer had told me...also, I already mentioned lets just ASSUME! Fiat is serious and TATA is trying to help them...2500 from all over india should't be that difficult now that its launched the new fuel efficient Palio...oops stile.
Old 9th April 2007, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

The abysmal sales target (3000 cars per annum) makes it amply clear as to who's occupying the driver's seat in this alliance. It's Tata all the way.

When this alliance was announced I used to wonder if it'll survive, considering the mutually competitive rather than complementary nature of their products. However, it is now clear that there's no threat from FIAT to any of the Tata cars, notwithstanding the fact that FIAT cars have better quality.

It's also rumored that Petra is being phased out and that should also make Tata happy.

When the top brass of Tata and FIAT meets next, this is probably what Mr Tata would tell the guys from FIAT: Look here, you guys were on the verge of closing down your Indian business, until we came in and doubled your sales. Now let's have free copies of the JTD 1.3 technical drawings in return! We require it for the new Indica!

Old 9th April 2007, 17:56   #7
BHPian

What a state FIAT has come to! Proudly saying that fiscal sale target is 3000!! Tatas will be the only beneficiary in this deal, Punto or no Punto!
Do you folks think that both Palio and Indica will come with 1.3JTD? How Palio 1.3JTD will sell against Indica 1.3 JTD with substantial less price?

As it is Xeta 1.2 will be competing against Palio 1.1 with less price tag and more power. Aam janta does not give damn about refinement+build quality etc.

I hope I am wrong for FIATs sake.
Old 9th April 2007, 17:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Grande Punto and New tata Indica will come with 1.3 JTD.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Fiat Grande Punto and New tata Indica will come with 1.3 JTD.
Spied on any test-cars???

Please share the pics if you have caught anything...
Old 9th April 2007, 20:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

hmm, i got a news that one guy spotted Fabia in Banglore.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Lets be realistic. The new Palio is not going to set the sales chart on fire. That figure of 3000 should be revised once the Punto is released. Better to start with low expectations, address issues that have plagued them in the past and then introduce fresh products like Punto/Linea.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:30   #12
BHPian

Agreed with MaserQ. It may sound like a horrible sales target.But its as realistic as it can get for Fiat.Infact,I think it will be good if they can manage even 3000 units this year.There are a lot of products lined up for the next couple of years from Fiat.But until then, selling Palios is just going to be brand re-building exercise.It will never sell like hot cakes.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:43   #13
BHPian

Even with a modest target if the brand image can be rebuilt by proper support and service with spares, I think they can compete with other folks over a few years time. But it has to be a sustained image building period, they can not expect sell tens of thousands overnight.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

The sales target may seem abysmal but given the fact that the actual sales of Fiat cars has been much lower than that and Tata-Fiat's real thing being the Grand Punto or a possible Indica 1.3 JTD launch, this target is quite logical for this stop gap arrangement. In anycase the Stile makeover is to inbibe a change of face to the product that had not had anyfacelifts in the last 5 years. Lets hope it works.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:51   #15
BHPian

Remember,They've just got a new plant running which is capable of manufacturing upto a Lakh units and transmissions a year.So rest assured, there is something really big cooking up in there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks