Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 20:27   #1
Team-BHP Support

VW’s plea against emissions related FIR dismissed by Supreme Court

The Supreme Court of India has quashed a plea by Skoda Auto Volkswagen India against an FIR filed by a customer in December 2015 over the alleged use of a cheat device in its diesel car.

VW’s plea against emissions related FIR dismissed by Supreme Court-vw.jpg

A complaint was made in the National Green Tribunal and an FIR was registered in Uttar Pradesh. In March, 2019 a penalty was imposed on the automaker. The company then made a plea in the Allahabad High Court seeking the dismissal of the FIR. However, the court dismissed the plea, but that order was stayed by the Supreme Court.

VW’s plea against emissions related FIR dismissed by Supreme Court-ngt.jpg

On November 4, 2020, the Supreme Court had reserved the verdict on the plea asking why the investigation should not go on in the case.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Source

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2020 at 20:29.
Aditya is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 21:22   #2
GBX
BHPian

Re: VW’s plea against emissions related FIR dismissed by Supreme Court

Unpopular opinion, but why is VW India being hauled up for the overseas emission scandal?

There's no reporting of emissions in volumetric terms in India, and certainly this is even lower in a car buyer's priority than even safety.

I have a tough time believing someone bought a non-EV/Hybrid car in India to reduce emissions, and even then I doubt those folks know their car's rated emission figures well enough to claim they were "cheated".

No car magazine or online publication even reports on a car's emission figures. Only mileage, power and occasionally 0-100 figures are reported. Whereas in European countries, the co2 figures are well publicised.

This irate customer who filed the FIR should first haul up the NGT itself for failing to educate the public on the importance of reducing emissions.

Not claiming a scandal hasn't taken place, but to simply parrot western outrage without earning the knowledge to be outraged in the first place, is simply embarrassing.
GBX is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 11:09   #3
BHPian

Articles like this make me laugh. We have poorly maintained trucks, tempos, auto rickshaws and cabs maintaining a thick black curtain of smoke around them where ever they go and the traffic cops as well as NGT suddenly become blind to these most obvious polluters on the road.
Storm2.0 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Unpopular opinion, but why is VW India being hauled up for the overseas emission scandal?
To be fair, VW group did use a “cheat” device in its Indian cars (including Audi/VW/Skoda/Porsche cars), just like they did in every other country they sold the cars with those engines. So this is not about overseas scandal. This was specific to few Diesel engines, more specifically the 2.0 Ltr TDI diesel which was sold in India too. If VW was so sure that it was meeting India’s less stringent BS4 norms than US or EU’s euro-6, then there was no need for a cheat device. Even otherwise, installing any device that hugely changes the emissions during tests & in real-world in against the Indian laws & shows malice in intent.

Quote:
There's no reporting of emissions in volumetric terms in India, and certainly this is even lower in a car buyer's priority than even safety.
https://m.economictimes.com/magazine...w/70853624.cms

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...to-know-413968
You will find more similar ones if you just google or read the news paper regular.

Quote:
I have a tough time believing someone bought a non-EV/Hybrid car in India to reduce emissions, and even then I doubt those folks know their car's rated emission figures well enough to claim they were "cheated".
That’s the same case all over the world, but some people do. I made it a point to never buy a diesel car knowing how much more polluting they were than petrol cars(till BS4. Difference is less in BS6). Getting to know that a manufacturer installed a “cheat” device with the specific intent of manipulating the emission norms that results in 10-40 times more emissions during driving in real world is reason enough. Ask people whose children suffer lung diseases & have breathing problems whole year due to vehicular pollution. So much hype & controversy when crackers are banned at Diwali every year. I too suffered Breathing problems for 5 years when I moved to bangalore from a remote town due to pollution. Used to travel by city bus as a student.

Quote:
No car magazine or online publication even reports on a car's emission figures. Only mileage, power and occasionally 0-100 figures are reported. Whereas in European countries, the co2 figures are well publicised.
The emissions are not like mileage,power etc that are different for every car. It is set according to the law and is same for every vehicle in a segment.

Quote:
This irate customer who filed the FIR should first haul up the NGT itself for failing to educate the public on the importance of reducing emissions.
This is every citizen’s & govt’s responsibility and not only NGT’s. NGT is a judicial body created to uphold the environmental laws. A place where citizen can go to fight anyone who is not respecting the country’s environmental laws. It is doing it’s job fairly.

Quote:
Not claiming a scandal hasn't taken place, but to simply parrot western outrage without earning the knowledge to be outraged in the first place, is simply embarrassing.
I hope the above data helps in avoiding any feeling of embarrassment.
Napalm is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks