Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2023, 08:47   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: IOC launches country's first 100 Octane petrol in select cities

If your car is not tuned to work with 98 Octane, there is no use to pay 160 bucks. Also, with this Ethanol blending, we don't need to get much worried. The newer Ethanol - 2G generation, currently used by IOCL Panipat and HPCL- Bhatinda should nullify the harmful effects of Ethanol due to the purity levels.

XP95 is suitable for most European cars as those are tuned primarily for 95 Octane. However, as in any modern engine, the tune/ ECU adapts itself based on the fuel octane.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 23:09   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Also, with this Ethanol blending, we don't need to get much worried. The newer Ethanol - 2G generation, currently used by IOCL Panipat and HPCL- Bhatinda should nullify the harmful effects of Ethanol due to the purity levels.
Hi @Turbanator

Does the point about Ethanol 2G means that higher ethanol blended fuel (like E12 or E15) is safer to use with E10 vehicles?

I don't think that is what you meant, but just hope to confirm the same.
silver-stand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 07:56   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-stand View Post
Does the point about Ethanol 2G means that higher ethanol blended fuel (like E12 or E15) is safer to use with E10 vehicles
I got to speak to someone very senior at one such refinery due to my work, and I asked him the same question. Per him, in 2G and subsequently, the purity of ethanol will be the same as petrol, and there should not be any residuals left like what currently happens. Also, 2G is based not on sugarcane but on plant cellulose.

However, there will be some effects of Ethanol on specific components, and it may be wrong to assume that newer-generation ethanol with higher content can be suitable for older cars. That's why we will continue to get E20 fuel separately, and it will not be the only default option. So, I won't worry too much about my old cars with E10 restrictions.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks