Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: IOC launches country's first 100 Octane petrol in select cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
From personal experience, I have used Shell V-Power Diesel and the normal diesel in my Mondeo. Initially I was getting 50 MPG on normal diesel. Once I started using V-Power the MPG jumped to 53. There was a noticeable difference in the amount of black smoke on harder accelerations.
That is a 6% increase. Which also means that the prices difference between the Shell V-Power and the normal diesel need to be less than 6%. Or it still works out more expensive!

Interestingly, at least here in Europe Shell does not make any claims of increase of fuel efficiency, only on cleaning and restoring engines to 100% of its original performance.

I would still argue that there was something wrong with your Mondeo for it to be such a noticeable difference in the first place.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

They launched this petrol type at the most worst possible time! 100 bucks a liter - dayaaam! Perhaps, the big cars owners would be happy with this as it shouldn’t matter much to them. But the percentage of consumers might be between 5-15%?

When I started riding, the cost of fuel was 45 a liter in 2005! Look where we stand 15 years down the line
Old 4th December 2020, 14:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is a 6% increase. Which also means that the prices difference between the Shell V-Power and the normal diesel need to be less than 6%. Or it still works out more expensive!

Interestingly, at least here in Europe Shell does not make any claims of increase of fuel efficiency, only on cleaning and restoring engines to 100% of its original performance.

I would still argue that there was something wrong with your Mondeo for it to be such a noticeable difference in the first place.

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

Normal Diesel = Around £1.20 to £1.24
V Power = Around £1.39 to £1.45

So yes, the difference in price is more than 6%. There is nothing wrong with the Mondeo as I experienced this difference between an entire service cycle and 14k miles. To be precise, after the first service the MPG dropped from 53.2 to 52.7 in nearly the same driving conditions/route and is hovering around the same mark post another service. This is a 2010 car with 96k miles on the clock and I got it when it was 74k miles.

When the tank is full, I can confirm that the first quarter of a tank depletes in around 185-190 miles for normal diesel and about 220 miles with V Power. These are my practical observations and from the same fuel station(s). Unless there was some deep level scam in UK for fuel fill up with respective brand and type of fuel, there is no other way that I can think of for these numbers to be wrong. I refrain from any other brand of fuel as a general rule and stick to one as much as I can.

I tried the premium fuel after two different people from respective Shell stations quoted the increase in mpg and cleaner combustion, which is what I observed across a span of 2 years.

Regards,
aghate
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 14:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So yes, the difference in price is more than 6%.

When the tank is full, I can confirm that the first quarter of a tank depletes in around 185-190 miles for normal diesel and about 220 miles with V Power. These are my practical observations and from the same fuel station(s). Unless there was some deep level scam in UK for fuel fill up with respective brand and type of fuel, there is no other way that I can think of for these numbers to be wrong. I refrain from any other brand of fuel as a general rule and stick to one as much as I can.
Thanks for that confirmation.
In all honesty there is nothing that would explain a difference of 6% based on chemical and or thermodynamics. But I am very happy for you to observe these numbers.

Even unconsciously hoping you would get some advantages from putting a premium fuel in your car, might unconsciously affect your right foot. Which has a far bigger impact on fuel efficiency. You own comment of “nearly” the same driving conditions/route is a bit of a give away already.

Never use the fuel gauge as a measure, always record odometer reading versus liters/gallons used/filled. The reading error at any mark is already far more than 6%. Your car fuel gauge is likely to show half full, with a bandwidth of several liters giving the, apparent, same reading. The scale is just too small.

So the problem remains that there is very little in terms of real reliable, significant, test data to come to any conclusion. Other than from a financial point of view its best to stick to regular.

Proper Comparison Testing of fuel efficiency and engine wear (or contamination) is a notoriously difficult and long and therefor very costly. It is simply not possible for individuals, not even car magazines, to come up with anything credible.

Enjoy your car and your premium fuel! Don’t be alarmed if you run into people, or find posts on internet forums that show the same improvement of guys switching from your beloved Shell to BP. Or to a different fuel, or even much more improvements.

That is just the nature of PR gimmicks.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 16:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Proper Comparison Testing of fuel efficiency and engine wear (or contamination) is a notoriously difficult and long and therefor very costly. It is simply not possible for individuals, not even car magazines, to come up with anything credible.
Jeroen
To that I agree 100%. Honestly, I am not much into average mpg/kmpl myself, just that I found the topic interesting and thought of sharing my experience.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 16:28   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To that I agree 100%. Honestly, I am not much into average mpg/kmpl myself, just that I found the topic interesting and thought of sharing my experience.
Excellent and thanks for that.

I think the real value of a forum such as this is, we can discuss car topics from multiple directions, point of view, thoughts, experience and insights. Personal experience is always relevant. Never mind what the PR gimmick is, or the theory says, or the expert research says.

If it is a pleasant experience, it will enhance our overall car experience.

It is a very interesting topic, with as many different thoughts and experiences as there are post on all the car forums!

I have switched to premium petrol fuel for all my (classic) cars. For now other reason that here in Europe all our regular petrol (Oct 95) are E10 and many older cars don’t do well on these high ethanol content in these fuel.

Shell, BP, Esso and one or two others still have an premium variant (Oct 98)on sales as well. Although labelled as E5 it is guaranteed to have zero ethanol in it.

I can’t say I have noticed any difference of performance on my three cars. But I have some friends that claim to see huge fuel efficient and acceleration improvements. The Jaguar XJR (X308) crows is all cheering for BP98 Ultimate and would rather take a bicycle before putting anything else in their Jags.

I actually use it too for my Jaguar, Alfa and Mercedes. For no other reason than the aforementioned lack of ethanol. Also, it happens to be the nearest Petrol station where I can get ethanol free petrol. On top of that this particular Petrol station is also known as having the lowest prices in all of the Netherlands.

So if anything I have a financial advantage. Relative speaking though.

Jeroen
Old 8th December 2020, 09:54   #37
BHPian

I came across this video by a Car Mechanic YouTuber, Chris Fix. He cleared all the myths about high octane fuel and gave information regarding different fuel grades needed to be used by different cars. Interesting video, please do watch it.

What is the BEST Fuel to Use in Your Car or Truck and WHY

WhiteSierra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:46   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The IOC bunk here has one dispenser marked XP100:

https://goo.gl/maps/wNL5ggENah9xfPZF9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
When I started riding, the cost of fuel was 45 a liter in 2005! Look where we stand 15 years down the line
Not a very valid point, though I can see a bit of what you are trying to say. However, when I started riding, petrol was in single digits . So what should guys like me say ? Back then, the rare pump actually had 93 octane at a few paise more than regular, and I used to fill up my bike with this potion.
Old 17th January 2021, 09:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Indian Oil’s 100 octane petrol slated to be available in 16 cities from January 2021. The company is also planning to increase the 91 octane rating of regular petrol by 2023.

Quote:
The high-end, niche segment in India is getting cultivated like never before. These customers are demanding 100 octane fuel,” said Vaidya. “So it is not only a statement, but also a business proposition.”

Despite costing a steep Rs 160 per litre in Delhi, the XP100 has seen an “encouraging response”, and the senior executive expects the demand to improve owing to the nature of the segment. “Frankly, the segment for which we have launched this product will be looking less at the price, and more at the enhanced performance. Owners of high-end cars or bikes will have a much better driving experience (with the 100 octane petrol),” he said
Source
Old 15th February 2021, 22:30   #40
Team-BHP Support

With the difference in price of HP-99 and XP-100 around Rs 25, I decided to splurge

Got filled 60 ltrs for a sum of INR 9600. I recently saw some you tube videos, people pay even higher in Germany at pumps around Autobahn’s (2 euro +), so that was comforting.

I got filled from COCO- Niti Marg and also got a chance to speak to company officials. As per them, unlike HP, IOCL refines the fuel differently instead of adding additives. But they could not share any written info. I plan to write an email asking to share more details. They also gave me an IOL diary.

My car did felt different ( definitely not placebo) as the easiest way is to make out from the exhaust note. Fuel mileage is definitely higher as I was super slow on the accelerator ( still not got over the fuel price shock)
Attached Thumbnails
IOC launches country's first 100 Octane petrol in select cities-ffb61f22ac90449e98fc205b632d60d9.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th February 2021 at 22:45.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 23:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
My car did felt different ( definitely not placebo) as the easiest way is to make out from the exhaust note. Fuel mileage is definitely higher as I was super slow on the accelerator ( still not got over the fuel price shock)
I finally tried the XP100 too in my CBR650F. I got it from the Gurgaon IOC bunk which is near Guru Dronacharya Metro station.

Honestly, I felt a difference too. I generally fill 93 Octane in my bike and have tried 97 Octane for a couple of months too. The difference between 93 and 97 Octane, I could not feel.
But with this, I definitely felt a difference. The bike felt a bit more eager, the exhaust was crisper and in general the bike felt perceivably smoother too.

I am yet to decide on whether it is worth 70 RS a liter extra or not. One theory which my friend has and which makes sense is that at this price very few people will buy it, which means chances of old fuel lying in their fuel tanks is real.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 06:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Turbanator, Which car did you fill the XP100 with?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 16th February 2021 at 06:58.
Old 16th February 2021, 08:22   #43
BHPian

Quote:

It's great to hear that you could notice a difference using XP100 compared to your regular fuel choice. I will be filling up with XP100 next time and will collect datalogs to see the differences between power99 and XP100 and also answer if the differences are worth the 25₹ extra
Old 17th February 2021, 21:27   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Making matters worse is the fact that the powerful cars needing 100 Octane petrol will be delivering 2 kmpl. That's a fuel cost of 80 bucks a km
Not 2 kmpl but pretty close. Honestly, feeling guilty to spend money like this.

Thankfully tried only with 30 ltrs.
Attached Thumbnails
IOC launches country's first 100 Octane petrol in select cities-cf7ee8f9705e4bd18c176f1d4ca7fd64.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 17th February 2021 at 21:31.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Not 2 kmpl but pretty close. Honestly, feeling guilty to spend money like this.

Thankfully tried only with 30 ltrs.
Is this the fuel economy on your M4?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks